Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Nope Hardcore, don't agree with closing her down and going in ourselves. Matches are the best preparation. We could give as many members of the squad as possible a run out, after we deal with the Dubs on Sunday. Let's give this one a serious lash. We left it behind the last time they were in Clones and we certainly owe them one. Wouldn't mind us getting another crack at Mayo either...

MiseMuineachain (Monaghan) - Posts: 212 - 30/03/2015 20:48:26    1708662

Link

I think they are going to go for it (league) )i think they should leave it at that and go back to the clubs and regroup with real intent for championship

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 30/03/2015 20:49:33    1708663

Link

hardcore
County: Monaghan

Well done to all the team and management on a brilliant win........also well done to our supporters who travelled down hope yous had a great time and got back safely.

Now that we are safe what do you's think Malachy and the boys will do?

Should we go on and try and win our 3rd league title on the trot.......

Or should we close down the camp and focus everything on the May 24th clash with Cavan......

My choice would be close it down,train hard and have a fully fit,motivated, and above all a hungry team ready for war in breffni park in 8 weeks time!

What yous think?

I think we should nail down a semi spot with a win on sunday as another competitive game in croker will do us no harm at all.

You need to be playing competitively against the best teams on a regular basis to progress so I think we could learn alot about ourselves and the other teams by trying to go and win the league. Success breeds success and the boys would be more hungry to do well in the summer if they won the league I think

If you totally change the team on Sunday and and drop half the team, the lads that get the run may feel that there only getting a run out because were safe and that when push comes to shove they wont be starting come championship. You need to keep the players fighting for places by taking every match seriously.

Were going well so why stop the momentum, i am not comparing us to Derry but last year McIvor rested half the Derry team for the last league match then they went on to win the Semi thanks to a collapse by Mayo and then got well beat in the final and the rest of their year was a diaster.

I think we should take it game by game as we have done to this point and try for the league in order to keep the squad competitive and competitive games will be the best preparation for the Cavan match.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 30/03/2015 21:05:29    1708671

Link

I said back when we were going for Div 3 final that the final could be a distraction, but I think I was wrong. No point in going into any competition aiming to be defeated. I say go for it. If we decide now not to, then if we get hammered in a semi or a final by Dublin or the likes then that would be no use. Go out and put in a performance. If we lie down then what message do we send to Cavan?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 30/03/2015 21:11:15    1708675

Link

Well done yesterday ye gave us a fair spanking in the second half.. went man for man and no defensive crap and fools like I were expecting.. well done

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5196 - 30/03/2015 21:12:08    1708677

Link

Go for the league now by playing the best teams and going at full tilt will you find out how good we are. The boys seem fairly grounded they know if they don't perform in breffni we could get beaten. But I don't malachy would allow that. Super win in Tralee was a very proud monaghan man standing applauding the team off. Let's not get carried away kerry where short a good few players. But we done the business, the confidence that win will breath will be enormous. Role on Wednesday night and hope the supporters didn't go for a weekend away and then forget about the games close to home

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 30/03/2015 21:39:35    1708688

Link

Horsebox in your opinion where do we rate with the blanket defence against other teams up here ie Derry Tyrone Donegal cavan down are we very defensive or no

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 30/03/2015 21:45:09    1708693

Link

On another note, the rise of Karl o Connell this year has been great to see. He done some serious work in Kerry and he made an outstanding block near the end of the match, full length dive on the boot of the kicker and we cleared up after that. Fair play to him and I cant see him getting dropped.

I am still worried about Kieran Duffy, he is a great kick passer but he mispassed a number of balls on sunday and he ran straight in to the tackle a number of times and lost possession. Kelly gave the ball away easily on Sunday on a number of occasions but had a good enough game.

I would like to see Walsh back and Duffy dropped come summer.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 31/03/2015 09:34:07    1708719

Link

in reply to Hardcore, I think we have achieved our aim for the league by staying up. We have had little or no media attention on us over the past few weeks, hopefully this continues because as we all know the one that matters is the game in Breffni. On another note I see the lads are heading to Portugal on a training camp next week. I don't think the focus will be on a league semi over there. lets hoping for a long summer.

room2 (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 31/03/2015 11:43:43    1708783

Link

I know a league title would be a serious boost going to Breffni,but im just worried that we havent the strongest panel going at the minute.

I would go hell for leather for it, if you had Eoin Lennon,Colin Walshe,Chris McGunniess,Paudie McKenna on the bench ready to come on but we dont have them at the minute......

I hope we go flat out on Sunday,try and beat Dublin, after that its up to Malachy and the team what they want to do,after all im just a supporter who hopes to have the Anglo Celt Cup in his hands on july 19th.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 31/03/2015 20:42:19    1709182

Link

hardcore
County: Monaghan

1709182 I know a league title would be a serious boost going to Breffni,but im just worried that we havent the strongest panel going at the minute.

I would go hell for leather for it, if you had Eoin Lennon,Colin Walshe,Chris McGunniess,Paudie McKenna on the bench ready to come on but we dont have them at the minute......

I hope we go flat out on Sunday,try and beat Dublin, after that its up to Malachy and the team what they want to do,after all im just a supporter who hopes to have the Anglo Celt Cup in his hands on july 19th.

Paudie was on the bench on Sunday in Tralee along with Gavan Doogan.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 01/04/2015 08:44:51    1709250

Link

And I see that Colin Walshe travelled down with the team to Kerry as well

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 742 - 01/04/2015 09:14:05    1709260

Link

Special word for the job that Malachy O'Rourke and his team have done for us. From Div 3, to 2nd in div 1 with one game to go is some journey. As others have said before, it's a good sign that the 'old hands' have stuck around with the team, it shows that they believe in the good work that is being put in. Was just thinking about the last time we played Kerry in a league game, we played against the wind in the first half too, and the game was over by halftime. What a difference to this year. I wasn't in Kerry, so I'm just going by reports, but it seems like we played a complete game of 2 halves to deal best with the conditions. Great performance by all involved. I just hope we can build on the great start to the year by avoiding a potential ambush in Breffni, but I find it unlikely that O'Rourke won't have us well ready for that.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 400 - 01/04/2015 10:44:31    1709303

Link

imagine back when we were in division 3 the the thoughts of a division one semi final, show's how far we have come and Credit to all ,
Hopefully there will be a great crowd on Sunday with a great atmosphere,
Who will be marking who do you think ? Wylie on Brogan?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 703 - 01/04/2015 14:27:35    1709466

Link

The thing is, that we have got here missing a lot of players, walshe, mcguinness, lennon, doogan, McCarron and P mcKenna. The upside is that competition for places will be at an all time high come championship if we get a few of these lads back in shape.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 01/04/2015 15:47:04    1709508

Link

Indeed it was good to see Gavin Doogan & Paudie McKenna togged out and added as late additions to subs bench last Sunday in Tralee.

I believe that Colin Walshe & Chris McGuinness are both back doing light training and should be in contention for the Cavan match.

I noticed however that Jinksy wasn't even on the subs last Sunday, I assume he must be injured ?
Dermot Malone also limped off near the end of the Kerry game, but hopefully nothing too serious.

Hopefully we can avoid any injuries over the coming weeks and have a good strong panel for May 24th.....

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 99 - 01/04/2015 17:05:37    1709541

Link

Alright Posters what's the best way (quickest) to Clones this Sunday? Satnav is telling me up through Cavan Virginia route but I'm nearly sure through Monaghan town is best, what do you's think?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 01/04/2015 21:30:59    1709654

Link

If you came in from the Cavan side then you would miss all of the Monaghan traffic.. Going that way would be a good idea..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 742 - 02/04/2015 08:18:38    1709677

Link

Bar O'Neills heroics in Blayney that day we would be top of the Div 1 table which is quite remarkable. Usually around this time in Div 1 campaigns gone by in recent times we were left relying on favours from others to get over the line for survival so this is really a throwback to the days of the mid 80s when we were very strong in the league against the rest of the country and appearances in the latter stages were the norm. Note worthy too three away wins which really builds character and confidence in a team.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1524 - 02/04/2015 08:54:30    1709680

Link

What part of Dublin are you coming if from North side via monaghan town south side n3 via cavan

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 02/04/2015 09:32:38    1709685

Link