National Forum

Referee admits error...

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=267932

Like a goal wrongly disallowed in the '98 semi-final, we'll get on with things.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7824 - 21/03/2017 17:11:02    1969595

Link

Fair play to you for taking the time out to create this thread. I dunno how ye Kerry lads put up with all the hardships and injustices the GAA throws at you year on year. An inspiration.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 21/03/2017 17:45:29    1969613

Link

That poor decision really did hit Kerry hard, it cost the Kingdom a richly deserved replay at the very least. It was 100% a free but how did not one of Gough's team of officials see the shoulder charger on Crowley - surely at least one of his linesmen must have seen it.

RoylerKing (Meath) - Posts: 809 - 21/03/2017 17:49:46    1969614

Link

What about the disgraceful frontal shoulder charge on mcmahon down along the cusack stand o'mahony let the ball pass then complety took him out that was much more premeditated would say it was more a case of he knows he screwed up there and I have to be consistent here and let it go...what comes round goes round and all that..

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 21/03/2017 17:54:15    1969616

Link

Replying To RoylerKing:  "That poor decision really did hit Kerry hard, it cost the Kingdom a richly deserved replay at the very least. It was 100% a free but how did not one of Gough's team of officials see the shoulder charger on Crowley - surely at least one of his linesmen must have seen it."
Linesmen (or umpires) cannot signal a foul.

3.1 DUTIES OF THE LINESMEN
(i) The Linesmen shall indicate by flag signal:
(a) when and where a ball crosses the sideline,
(b) which side is entitled to the sideline kick or puck, and
(c) where the kick or puck is to be taken from.

(ii) When a ball is played across a sideline by opposing players simultaneously, or when the linesman is unsure which team played the ball over the sideline, the Linesman shall so signal. The Referee, facing the players, shall throw in the ball between one Player of each Team, 13m from the sideline, directly infield from where the ball crossed the sideline.

(iii) A Linesman's decision is subject to Rule 1.1 (v) above.

(iv) The Linesmen, where neutral, shall control the operation of the Substitution Zone, and shall assist the referee in regard to the introduction of substitutes, and of temporary substitutes under Rule 1.5 (b) Injuries: Blood. Where linesmen are not neutral, these functions shall be controlled by the Referee.

(v) "The Linesmen shall bring to the notice of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play in particular, rough or dangerous play, striking, hitting, or kicking, or unauthorised incursions onto the field of play, which have not been noticed by the Referee. They may also, if requested by the Referee, assist in determining the validity of a score."

game.on.now.ger (Galway) - Posts: 423 - 21/03/2017 18:23:33    1969631

Link

Nice to see that honesty. These things happen. Should have been spotted by the linesman though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2105 - 21/03/2017 18:28:28    1969634

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=267932

Like a goal wrongly disallowed in the '98 semi-final, we'll get on with things."
Dry your eyes lad, let it go !! all these things even out in the end.

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 21/03/2017 18:42:22    1969637

Link

If only the ref spotted T Kennelly "shaking hands" with his Cork friend back in 2009

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 21/03/2017 19:13:37    1969652

Link

Funny how he claims he couldn't see that incident, yet could award a phantom 45 to his club mate seconds after denying Paul Murphy a legitimate 45 at the other end

KYTotalFootball (Kerry) - Posts: 280 - 21/03/2017 19:14:20    1969653

Link

When I saw the headline, I thought it was the awarding of the Kerry "ghost goal", ha ha you couldn't make it up.

Reading between the lines this is a self serving peice, obviously if he can ease the ire of the lads that we're throwing programmes, it doubles his chances of getting an all Ireland quater final or semi. It's pretty obvious.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 21/03/2017 19:23:51    1969661

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "When I saw the headline, I thought it was the awarding of the Kerry "ghost goal", ha ha you couldn't make it up.

Reading between the lines this is a self serving peice, obviously if he can ease the ire of the lads that we're throwing programmes, it doubles his chances of getting an all Ireland quater final or semi. It's pretty obvious."
"Ghost goal"

:)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 21/03/2017 19:34:46    1969665

Link

Hoganstand.com saw fit to make an article out of a referee's comments. The article was brought to my attention by Hoganstand.com. I've posted a link to bring it to other peoples attention without as of yet making a comment about it.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7824 - 21/03/2017 19:43:47    1969673

Link

What's very worrying is a referee coming out and pandering to Kerry like this, it doesn't auger well in terms of fairness. Here we have a GAA referee coming out apologising self servingly over a decision seven months after the match ended, what message does this send out to other match officials about referring Kerry games, surely how can a game involving Kerry be reffed fairly when there is this obvious pressure.

That's not a hypothesis, I know Roscommon felt that there were two different sets of rules in their game against Kerry. Its not an issue playing bigger counties like Dublin, but as the Roscommon factor shows and maybe even the Cork Munster final a couple of years ago, Refs are arguably put under this duress to favour Kerry when they don't play against bigger counties.

This is just wrong.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 21/03/2017 19:58:44    1969681

Link

Replying To game.on.now.ger:  "Linesmen (or umpires) cannot signal a foul.

3.1 DUTIES OF THE LINESMEN
(i) The Linesmen shall indicate by flag signal:
(a) when and where a ball crosses the sideline,
(b) which side is entitled to the sideline kick or puck, and
(c) where the kick or puck is to be taken from.

(ii) When a ball is played across a sideline by opposing players simultaneously, or when the linesman is unsure which team played the ball over the sideline, the Linesman shall so signal. The Referee, facing the players, shall throw in the ball between one Player of each Team, 13m from the sideline, directly infield from where the ball crossed the sideline.

(iii) A Linesman's decision is subject to Rule 1.1 (v) above.

(iv) The Linesmen, where neutral, shall control the operation of the Substitution Zone, and shall assist the referee in regard to the introduction of substitutes, and of temporary substitutes under Rule 1.5 (b) Injuries: Blood. Where linesmen are not neutral, these functions shall be controlled by the Referee.

(v) "The Linesmen shall bring to the notice of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play in particular, rough or dangerous play, striking, hitting, or kicking, or unauthorised incursions onto the field of play, which have not been noticed by the Referee. They may also, if requested by the Referee, assist in determining the validity of a score.""
I'm pretty sure that I saw the linesman immediately put up his flag and draw the ref's attention to a strike by S'neil midfielder on a Crokes player in the Club final.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 21/03/2017 20:02:01    1969682

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "What's very worrying is a referee coming out and pandering to Kerry like this, it doesn't auger well in terms of fairness. Here we have a GAA referee coming out apologising self servingly over a decision seven months after the match ended, what message does this send out to other match officials about referring Kerry games, surely how can a game involving Kerry be reffed fairly when there is this obvious pressure.

That's not a hypothesis, I know Roscommon felt that there were two different sets of rules in their game against Kerry. Its not an issue playing bigger counties like Dublin, but as the Roscommon factor shows and maybe even the Cork Munster final a couple of years ago, Refs are arguably put under this duress to favour Kerry when they don't play against bigger counties.

This is just wrong."
And yet you see no issue with a Dublin based ref who is a clubmate of a Dublin player reffing a Dublin AI Semi final in Dublin

No other sport on the planet would allow such a situation occur

KYTotalFootball (Kerry) - Posts: 280 - 21/03/2017 20:26:00    1969690

Link

Replying To KYTotalFootball:  "And yet you see no issue with a Dublin based ref who is a clubmate of a Dublin player reffing a Dublin AI Semi final in Dublin

No other sport on the planet would allow such a situation occur"
Kerry posters continually attacking the character of volunteers online

Good job, classy

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 21/03/2017 20:50:57    1969709

Link

Replying To KYTotalFootball:  "And yet you see no issue with a Dublin based ref who is a clubmate of a Dublin player reffing a Dublin AI Semi final in Dublin

Can't wait for #35

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 21/03/2017 20:53:16    1969713

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "Hoganstand.com saw fit to make an article out of a referee's comments. The article was brought to my attention by Hoganstand.com. I've posted a link to bring it to other peoples attention without as of yet making a comment about it."
'Like a goal wrongly disallowed in the '98 semi-final, we'll get on with things'

Did you forget you typed the above?

m_the_d (None) - Posts: 1099 - 21/03/2017 21:02:28    1969720

Link

You see this is the very problem, how do you and others have the information of were this man lives and what he does in his private life and share it. Is it any wonder the man has come out about the pressure he's been under. How can games be refer fairly when this is the standard of behaviour.

I find it really appalling to be honest.

Anyway i said my peice, hopefully the game wins in the end.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 21/03/2017 21:08:04    1969724

Link

Replying To m_the_d:  "'Like a goal wrongly disallowed in the '98 semi-final, we'll get on with things'

Did you forget you typed the above?"
I haven't commented on the contents of the article.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7824 - 21/03/2017 21:37:16    1969739

Link