National Forum

Ballyea v Cuala: The Kerry connection...

(Oldest Posts First)

Both All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling finalists have a Kerryman in there ranks: Pat Joe Connelly (Ballyduff to Ballyea) and Darragh O'Connell (Abbeydorney to Cuala).

With Dr. Crokes in the football final, the Kingdom are well represented in Croke Park on St. Patrick's Day.

Not bad for a rural county on the southwest coast of Ireland! :-)

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 15/03/2017 13:52:36    1967275

Link

yerra

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 15/03/2017 14:11:23    1967286

Link

Sur half of the Ballyhea team aren't even from there!!!!!! From what I hear lot of clubs in Clare raised the issue during the year but it's not Ballyheas fault.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 15/03/2017 17:48:58    1967353

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "Sur half of the Ballyhea team aren't even from there!!!!!! From what I hear lot of clubs in Clare raised the issue during the year but it's not Ballyheas fault."
Ballyea is just outside of Ennis. There's no hurling team west of it all the way as far as Loop head as it's all football country. It's no different to any other areas around the country where there's no club of one code. A hurling club in Tralee would habe the pick of West Kerry.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 15/03/2017 18:05:37    1967357

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "Ballyea is just outside of Ennis. There's no hurling team west of it all the way as far as Loop head as it's all football country. It's no different to any other areas around the country where there's no club of one code. A hurling club in Tralee would habe the pick of West Kerry."
I've past through it many a time!!! I've nothing against them I was only raising the point and it's great as some of the players could have been lost to football. I mean whoever knew Gary Brennan was a great hurler as well as a footballer.
My concern was some of the other clubs in Clare raising the issue not realizing that one of the county's and indeed country's finest hurler Tony Kelly is from outside the parish.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 15/03/2017 18:12:12    1967361

Link

Hopefully the Hurling Final will be close, a lot of the finals in recent memory have been very one sided

I think Cuala will edge it - i think they are stronger overall 1-15, Tony Kelly will need to be at the very top of his game for Ballyea to win

KYTotalFootball (Kerry) - Posts: 280 - 15/03/2017 18:24:22    1967365

Link

Jaysus Ballyhea are acting like pups delighted Jack Browne got done for the goal hate to say it. Cuala doing all the hurling and soft very soft frees keeping Ballyhea in the game.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 17/03/2017 15:31:01    1967851

Link

Well done Cuala, what a game of hurling they played. Superb stuff. Hard luck to Ballyea.

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2509 - 17/03/2017 16:23:16    1967859

Link

Cuala a joy to watch skill levels unbelievable. Hope this spurs on Dublin hurling to new levels. Darragh O Connell is some player for a Kerryman!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 17/03/2017 16:34:20    1967863

Link

Kerry's Darragh O'Connell was named man of the match. Congratulations to him on a fine performance and his All-Ireland triumph.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 17/03/2017 16:40:58    1967865

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "Cuala a joy to watch skill levels unbelievable. Hope this spurs on Dublin hurling to new levels. Darragh O Connell is some player for a Kerryman!!"
He's a big loss for the Kingdom. It's the lure of the big smoke from rural Ireland for the centralised employment opportunities.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 17/03/2017 16:43:45    1967866

Link

Congratulations to Cuala, a great day for the club and all involved .
Hard luck on Ballyhea , they had some run this year after the early setback.
Dublin hurling needed a boost and that will give great encouragement. Good luck to them they were deserving winners and by far the better team.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 18/03/2017 09:10:22    1968061

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "Cuala a joy to watch skill levels unbelievable. Hope this spurs on Dublin hurling to new levels. Darragh O Connell is some player for a Kerryman!!"
What's that supposed to mean? Just because he is from Kerry you thought he'd be a mullocker who couldn't hurl spuds to a duck?

We have produced lots of very good hurlers over the years just never enough at the same time due to our to tiny pool​ of players.

KYTotalFootball (Kerry) - Posts: 280 - 18/03/2017 10:11:22    1968073

Link

Replying To KYTotalFootball:  "What's that supposed to mean? Just because he is from Kerry you thought he'd be a mullocker who couldn't hurl spuds to a duck?

We have produced lots of very good hurlers over the years just never enough at the same time due to our to tiny pool​ of players."
The traditional counties are closed minded to the possibility of good hurlers coming from other counties.

There's an argument in hurling for the inclusion of divisional counties in the qualifiers;
Ulster: all counties.
Leinster: all counties excluding existing McCarthy Cup teams.
Connaught: all counties excluding Galway. Kerry to be included when not at McCarthy level.

Simply hurlers from non-McCarthy counties would get to play McCarthy hurling for their divisional county. When a county would earn promotion, they would leave their divisional county e.g. Antrim's hurlers would play with Ulster this year. If Antrim won promotion through the Ring Cup, the Ulster divisional team will consist of all other Ulster counties outside of the McCarthy Cup.

The divisional counties and 3rd placed team from the provincial qualifier group can be drawn against provincial quarter-final losers in Qualifier Round 1.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 18/03/2017 12:47:26    1968108

Link

Replying To KYTotalFootball:  "What's that supposed to mean? Just because he is from Kerry you thought he'd be a mullocker who couldn't hurl spuds to a duck?

We have produced lots of very good hurlers over the years just never enough at the same time due to our to tiny pool​ of players."
Don't take offence my friend the level Darragh O,Connell is at in terms of skill is unbelievable you wouldn't think he was from Kerry.
I seen him hurl for Kerry a few times before his transfer to Dublin.
For him to win an all Ireland club medal in hurling is some achievement and probably something he only dreamt of while with Kerry.
I've nothing against Kerry if that's what ur getting at I have relatives down there not so far from Fitzgerald Stadium infact!!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 20/03/2017 17:39:46    1969217

Link

Did Cian Waldren not win intermediate all Ireland medal with ST lachtains of Freshford in 2010 v st Gauls before he moved to Cuala, he played wing forward his brother Naoise was a sub patricks day.

johnwhite12 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 306 - 20/03/2017 20:56:04    1969298

Link