National Forum

Who'd have thought it?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

All the moaning about Dublin's superior spending power and it turns out Mayo spent more than them in 2016. Cork, Galway, Tipperary and Roscommon also spent more than 1 million on their county teams in 2016. Not bad for these counties who apparently haven't got a pot to pee in according to most of the anti Dublin brigade on here isn't it not ?

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 18/02/2017 17:01:13    1957972

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "All the moaning about Dublin's superior spending power and it turns out Mayo spent more than them in 2016. Cork, Galway, Tipperary and Roscommon also spent more than 1 million on their county teams in 2016. Not bad for these counties who apparently haven't got a pot to pee in according to most of the anti Dublin brigade on here isn't it not ?"
I thought the fishing season wasn't open for another 2 weeks wayno.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 18/02/2017 18:58:08    1957997

Link

Just shows ya, you can't buy success :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 18/02/2017 19:18:52    1958007

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "All the moaning about Dublin's superior spending power and it turns out Mayo spent more than them in 2016. Cork, Galway, Tipperary and Roscommon also spent more than 1 million on their county teams in 2016. Not bad for these counties who apparently haven't got a pot to pee in according to most of the anti Dublin brigade on here isn't it not ?"
You start a topic stating facts and figures and without any citations.

I searched and found articles you might have got your figures from. It seems you've been very selective in your extracts. For example, your comments about Mayo. "All the moaning about Dublin's superior spending power and it turns out Mayo spent more than them in 2016." You failed to mention that:

On the individual spending of counties, big dual counties like Dublin, Tipperary, Cork and Galway would be expected to be high on the list. But on others, Keys described Roscommon's figure of over €1 million as a "real eye opener" and also felt that Mayo were a "surprise too", although in their case "you'd have to qualify that €150,000 of that was carried over from the previous year and also their under-21s won the All Ireland title, they had an under-21 B Hurling team in the Nicky Rackard and then a replay as well, so that's a lot of trips down to Dublin for their teams."

http://www.newstalk.com/The-spiralling-spending-of-GAA-intercounty-teams

That said, Mayo's overall finances were in decent shape and with the rise in spend by their county teams came a big increasing in fundraising revenues too. Sponsorship was €478,141 with Cairde Mayo generating €638,396, helping to put a fair dent into overall costs.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2448 - 18/02/2017 19:34:13    1958010

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I thought the fishing season wasn't open for another 2 weeks wayno."
To be fair, Galway and Cork have the cost of both hurling and football, unlike Mayo and Roscommon

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/02/2017 19:41:01    1958015

Link

Can't wait to read Ewan McKenna's next article on Mayo's big spending.. wha!!

Listen no doubt there's money being spent on coaching n Dublin, but that investment doesn't get spent on the Dublin senior football team.

In reality Mayo have been bailed out by the GAA after the McHale Park fiasco, saving Mayo GAA €5 million over the course of the loan, does anyone else find that a little distasteful?

Bailed out to the tune of €5 million, yet still spending big off the back of it!

Hardly fair is it? :) hardly a level playing ground!!

Sorry but Mayo have now spent many millions on this team and now lead the pack on spending

It proves that money doesn't guarantee success, it helps, it puts all the best gear at your feet, but just like owning a set of expensive golf clubs, they are of no use without a good swing!!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 19:53:47    1958018

Link

Replying To baire:  "To be fair, Galway and Cork have the cost of both hurling and football, unlike Mayo and Roscommon"
Add Dublin to that dual list

Our county hurlers were challenging at all age groups, and had a lot of success

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 19:57:44    1958019

Link

So can this money bs be put to bed once and for all? Yes we have the biggest pick but after that it's pretty even in everything else and believe it or not our pick isn't that much bigger than the bigger counties.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 18/02/2017 20:03:48    1958023

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Add Dublin to that dual list

Our county hurlers were challenging at all age groups, and had a lot of success"
Sure there's no money in Dublin, all the wealth is in culchie land! lol Poor mouth Dubs! Gas!

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/02/2017 20:24:51    1958033

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "So can this money bs be put to bed once and for all? Yes we have the biggest pick but after that it's pretty even in everything else and believe it or not our pick isn't that much bigger than the bigger counties."
Fair play to the Dublin hurlers, great win tonight away against Cork.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/02/2017 20:29:08    1958035

Link

Dublin hurling would have brought up our own spend significantly

It just further increases Mayos spend where the bulk of their large spend is purely on football

Millions have been spent on this Mayo team since Horan took over and to the present day

It doesn't guarantee a damn thing

Plenty of other counties spend huge money, but they don't have 8 National titles since 2011

PS

Up The Dub hurlers ! Super win

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 20:30:15    1958037

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Add Dublin to that dual list

Our county hurlers were challenging at all age groups, and had a lot of success"
What was the travel cost for the Dubs compared to Mayo?

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/02/2017 20:30:36    1958038

Link

Kerry spent close to a million too!

Around the same level as the Dubs when you minus our Hurling commitments across all age groups at a high level

But sssshhh

Let's the poor mouths savour their excuses!

Mayo GAA proves you can't buy success

Millions spent with feck all to show for it at senior level.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 20:35:49    1958044

Link

Replying To baire:  "What was the travel cost for the Dubs compared to Mayo?"
Would you stop.. our hurlers travelled all over the country as did our footballers in 2016, all age groups

Travelling costs.. You swear they had to travel around the world or something!

We have teams at every level at every age group in both codes

They have far less expenditure on hurling and it magnifies just how much they put into 1 senior football team

But let them spend it! It ain't doing them much use at senior level..

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 20:40:47    1958048

Link

Replying To baire:  "Sure there's no money in Dublin, all the wealth is in culchie land! lol Poor mouth Dubs! Gas!"
Baire

Plenty of money alright, but drop the crap

Nothing you said changes the fact of my post

A significant overall spend would have gone to our hurling commitments, and it only emphasises the spend of Mayo on one panel of players, same with Kerry's expenditure

You highlighted Cork as an example of a dual county to explain their own big spend, yet didn't highlight Dublin?

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 20:50:39    1958054

Link

Yeah they spent more ..and Dublin still get way more funding than any county ..cork have double the amount of clubs than dublin but gaa gives them 5 times more than cork ..get over yourselves trying to justify the most unfair sport in the world. Not all about money players still have to perform but was there not a 15 year drought before funding. But what's really helping is the decisions. Dublins are gaa,s cash cow and that's why ridiculous frees like the one last week in tyrone match was given..no free atall but I'm sure yez will try justify that one too

royal7 (Meath) - Posts: 156 - 18/02/2017 21:54:58    1958070

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Baire

Plenty of money alright, but drop the crap

Nothing you said changes the fact of my post

A significant overall spend would have gone to our hurling commitments, and it only emphasises the spend of Mayo on one panel of players, same with Kerry's expenditure

You highlighted Cork as an example of a dual county to explain their own big spend, yet didn't highlight Dublin?"
I was referring to the 4 counties listed, Galway, Cork, Tipp and Roscommon, where over 1 million was spent. Tipp are also a dual county but I don't think they spend much money on football! Obviously funding of itself won't win All Irelands but there's no comparison between the facilities, back up, coaching etc available in the capital and those in depopulated rural areas. I live in Dublin and I have helped with the hurling at underage, as many other country people have done, but counties like Laois, Offaly did not get the same financial assistance and it shows.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/02/2017 22:03:19    1958072

Link

Replying To royal7:  "Yeah they spent more ..and Dublin still get way more funding than any county ..cork have double the amount of clubs than dublin but gaa gives them 5 times more than cork ..get over yourselves trying to justify the most unfair sport in the world. Not all about money players still have to perform but was there not a 15 year drought before funding. But what's really helping is the decisions. Dublins are gaa,s cash cow and that's why ridiculous frees like the one last week in tyrone match was given..no free atall but I'm sure yez will try justify that one too"
Not a cent of which is spent on the Dublin senior football team.

By the way

Check out the free count in Tyrone's favour

It was something like 32 to 16 in favour of Tyrone

Tyrone kicked 8-9 wides with a strong wind advantage in the first half

But yeah.. Your crack pot conspiracy theories is the way to go

I bow to your superior intellect

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 22:45:19    1958086

Link

Replying To baire:  "I was referring to the 4 counties listed, Galway, Cork, Tipp and Roscommon, where over 1 million was spent. Tipp are also a dual county but I don't think they spend much money on football! Obviously funding of itself won't win All Irelands but there's no comparison between the facilities, back up, coaching etc available in the capital and those in depopulated rural areas. I live in Dublin and I have helped with the hurling at underage, as many other country people have done, but counties like Laois, Offaly did not get the same financial assistance and it shows."
Baire

Depopulate rural areas..

Sorry but that's more of a socio-economic problem at gov level, and has and always will exist

Fact is all the top counties have access to that level of sports science, the way you've just described the plight of rural island just doesn't add up to the true picture. All top GAA counties have practically the same advantages Dublin can call on, sure look at the figures, many counties outside of Dublin GAA are spending millions on their senior panels.. that's not going on orange segments at half time!

Difference is Dublin has 8 National titles since 2011 after spending millions

Mayo on the other hand have zero

Our spending advantages of other big spending counties is minimal.

The figures prove this.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/02/2017 22:55:05    1958089

Link

39 frees for Tyrone to Dublin's 15 , sorry for interrupting just thought I'd give you the correct tally of frees. Continue on......

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 18/02/2017 23:27:06    1958093

Link