National Forum

Should supporters have a selector to ensure that their views are looked after

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tomsmith here
While the heading space will not allow me explain my post fully, I feel that the time is long past a due date when Supporters should demand a selector on all County GAA teams to ensure proper Goverance is adhered to at all times. Corporate governance broadly refers to the mechanisms, processes and relations by which corporations are controlled and directed. It now costs a GAA supporter at least about 400/500 Euros per person in a household to get to see a county team. Take travel and and other bits and pieces you are into about E1500 .
This is a large amount of money.
You then hear about players organising a heave against a team manager because of some minor issue or because the manager tries to rein in a few larger than life players.
We supporters have to stand idly by and are unable to vent our views. At least if we had a selector/advisor on the set up we could be kept informed and not have to wait for a player (who went along with the hanging) to break ranks and expose what really happened to good and decent managers

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3856 - 31/12/2016 11:13:03    1942455

Link

you should write a letter to the FBI once they're done with FIFA Tom

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 31/12/2016 11:47:51    1942458

Link

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith here
While the heading space will not allow me explain my post fully, I feel that the time is long past a due date when Supporters should demand a selector on all County GAA teams to ensure proper Goverance is adhered to at all times. Corporate governance broadly refers to the mechanisms, processes and relations by which corporations are controlled and directed. It now costs a GAA supporter at least about 400/500 Euros per person in a household to get to see a county team. Take travel and and other bits and pieces you are into about E1500 .
You then hear about players organising a heave against a team manager because of some minor issue or because the manager tries to rein in a few larger than life players.
We supporters have to stand idly by and are unable to vent our views. At least if we had a selector/advisor on the set up we could be kept informed and not have to wait for a player (who went along with the hanging) to break ranks and expose what really happened to good and decent managers"
Alas if you add another set of opinions to what is already a collection of what is deemed to be the best people for the job all you are doing is making things more complicated.Are all supporters supposed to agree and wouldn't they just back the person they have most alegience to as in their club man etc. What do you do if the supporters representative is ignored, sure you're back where you started then.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 31/12/2016 11:55:28    1942459

Link

Maybe the team could be selected by internet poll?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 31/12/2016 12:52:16    1942464

Link

We supporters have to stand idly by and are unable to vent our views. At least if we had a selector/advisor on the set up we could be kept informed and not have to wait for a player (who went along with the hanging) to break ranks and expose what really happened to good and decent managers"
A good idea Tom but maybe more as an advisor rather than having a supporters rep as selector. Just someone who will query any decisions that the majority of supporters have questions on. It's up to players and management to sort out team issues. I don't see the sense of not being happy if players revolt but then wanting supporters to have a selector to represent their views, seems a contradiction. But it's a fair point and I couldn't say no to it as it's not been done before as far as I know. Might stop some county board politics where players from certain clubs seem to be picked more often.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7343 - 31/12/2016 13:00:07    1942465

Link

I honestly knew who had started this thread before I looked at the post. Wouldn't be too bothered with engaging on a serious level. Our tom is a bit of a messer who is always looking for a bit of an old reaction.

sceptical (Cavan) - Posts: 544 - 31/12/2016 13:48:48    1942470

Link

wasnt this thread done before?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 31/12/2016 14:38:42    1942473

Link

Replying To sceptical:  "I honestly knew who had started this thread before I looked at the post. Wouldn't be too bothered with engaging on a serious level. Our tom is a bit of a messer who is always looking for a bit of an old reaction."
I honestly knew who had started this thread before I looked at the post. Wouldn't be too bothered with engaging on a serious level. Our tom is a bit of a messer who is always looking for a bit of an old reaction.
sceptical (Cavan) - Posts:441

Sceptical

Tomsmith here

You definitively choose the right posting handle (sceptical) for your non de plume . For a start I use my name and I post good quality posts. I took this decision because of the injustice that I have seen done to decent men managing County teams who have been ousted by big headed players with a word being spoke in the managers favour by the selectors. Many examples of such injustice exists.

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3856 - 31/12/2016 14:40:57    1942475

Link

Not this rubbish again???
He never gives up.

Cavan_Slasher (Cavan) - Posts: 10253 - 31/12/2016 14:43:27    1942476

Link

Would the county PRO qualify for that job.?

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 293 - 31/12/2016 16:56:38    1942486

Link

Brolly here,

What a load of rubbish.

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 31/12/2016 17:43:38    1942492

Link

A good idea Tom but maybe more as an advisor rather than having a supporters rep as selector. Just someone who will query any decisions that the majority of supporters have questions on. It's up to players and management to sort out team issues. I don't see the sense of not being happy if players revolt but then wanting supporters to have a selector to represent their views, seems a contradiction. But it's a fair point and I couldn't say no to it as it's not been done before as far as I know. Might stop some county board politics where players from certain clubs seem to be picked more often.
GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:3143

Greenandred from County Mayo
Tomsmith here from County Cavan

As you come from a County that has come under the Radar recently in relation to decent men stepping down from the County Mayo senior management and it appears that one of the people involved has now broken ranks I just wonder why has it taken a year for it to happen.
I feel that all County Boards should be made to appoint a supporters selector/adviser so we could be kept informed and be told the truth about
why a heave happened in a County.
Who was behind it,
Did the County Board support the manager against these bully boys /fellows.
Had the County board in a particular County an agenda, was a replacement already got, was the agitators advised how to proceed. Who fed the press.

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3856 - 31/12/2016 18:36:04    1942499

Link

400/500 euros per person? Didn't realise the Kinlough to Carrick flight was so expensive

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 1029 - 31/12/2016 20:05:46    1942509

Link

contact the Russians they seem to be able to short circuit everything! really this a daft suggestion the main problem with the argument you make is these are all amateurs.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4896 - 31/12/2016 20:53:39    1942510

Link

Why don't supporters form 'Ultras' like Lazio and run the club while they're at it!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8589 - 01/01/2017 00:32:58    1942518

Link

How would you select the selector from among the supporters. There are many reasons why that proposal make no sense; most supporter do not even know the rules of the game. If you want to have a say then join a club- most of the guys who would like the idea are guys who have never put anything into our games and do not even support their own club and some never had a club. The selection of county team managers may not be without faults but until we get better then we should leave it alone. Look at what we do in politics and the guys who we elect into government to run our country- look at their CV's and how the operate and deliver-enough said.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 01/01/2017 11:54:53    1942536

Link

In a word, No.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 01/01/2017 12:02:59    1942539

Link

Not a runner Tom.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1741 - 01/01/2017 13:30:52    1942550

Link

If you want a say in the selection then you should become a selector. I wonder how you would feel then about your idea when people you've never met could override your selection decision.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 01/01/2017 13:38:58    1942552

Link

No, that's what your club officers are for, they are suppose to listen to our views and pass them on at co board meetings but as we all know most clubs are in a click of their own and won't speak up for their club members at co board meetings, afraid to rock the boat

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 01/01/2017 14:32:01    1942556

Link