National Forum

Laois Junior C Final.

(Oldest Posts First)

The Laois Junior C final as reported here fixed for St Stephens day five months after the semi finals is symptomatic of everything that is wrong in the Gaa, it is not an isolated incident & won't be the only games nationwide on the day. Then we have President of the Association Aoghain O Fearghaíl speaking from the jaunt to Dubai about doing away with our national flag & anthem despite no talks, requests or negotiations on that subject. This just highlights the thinking of the Gaa & what is wrong, it's a two tier organisation now. One guy speaking from a trip to Dubai with all the elite county players, the others togging out after the turkey on Christmas Day with nobody to speak for them. Perhaps a Uachtaran you would be better served speaking on & sorting out the mess that is club football that involves 98% of the membership of those you are supposed to represent first before launching into a divisive political debate. In my opinion the Gaa is now on the path of two different Associations & Croke Park & the GPA have only the elite inter county player & the money that generates at heart. It's laughable having competitive games on Stephens day. No doubt we will hear the buck being passed that it's the clubs fault, County Boards, Croke Park, Provincial Councils, Ard Comhairle are all beyond blame. Two tier organisation that is haemoraging people from club level frustrated with crap such as games on St Stephens day.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 03/12/2016 11:14:46    1938130

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The Laois Junior C final as reported here fixed for St Stephens day five months after the semi finals is symptomatic of everything that is wrong in the Gaa, it is not an isolated incident & won't be the only games nationwide on the day. Then we have President of the Association Aoghain O Fearghaíl speaking from the jaunt to Dubai about doing away with our national flag & anthem despite no talks, requests or negotiations on that subject. This just highlights the thinking of the Gaa & what is wrong, it's a two tier organisation now. One guy speaking from a trip to Dubai with all the elite county players, the others togging out after the turkey on Christmas Day with nobody to speak for them. Perhaps a Uachtaran you would be better served speaking on & sorting out the mess that is club football that involves 98% of the membership of those you are supposed to represent first before launching into a divisive political debate. In my opinion the Gaa is now on the path of two different Associations & Croke Park & the GPA have only the elite inter county player & the money that generates at heart. It's laughable having competitive games on Stephens day. No doubt we will hear the buck being passed that it's the clubs fault, County Boards, Croke Park, Provincial Councils, Ard Comhairle are all beyond blame. Two tier organisation that is haemoraging people from club level frustrated with crap such as games on St Stephens day."
How in the name of christ is this anyones fault but Laois county board? Laois were out of the championship very early in both codes so they can't say the county players held it up. How many county players play junior c football? County board is to blame here, no one else.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 03/12/2016 11:29:20    1938135

Link

I'm guessing most junior c players would pick Stephens day as their ideal day for a county final. The earlier the throw in the better. Get the whole lot done and dusted for 11am and then let em off the leash.........

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 03/12/2016 11:59:40    1938139

Link

Nothing new here, club players have been and continue to be treated like absolute dirt. The only real surprise is that they continue to sit there and take it.

They are treated like second class citizens, club players should really be at the point where they cop themselves on and leave the game.

Steve (Fermanagh) - Posts: 293 - 03/12/2016 11:59:58    1938140

Link

The 2 clubs in question are actually amalgamated for senior hurling. Obviously they didn't wanna play this Junior 'C' football til all the hurling championships (senior, minor, U21 etc) were finished.

Gotmilk,
"How many county players play junior c foit all?"
As Rathdowney-Erril are one of the top 2 or 3 hurling clubs in Laois, I'd say 3 or 4 anyway.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 03/12/2016 14:30:49    1938152

Link

Replying To mike03:  "I'm guessing most junior c players would pick Stephens day as their ideal day for a county final. The earlier the throw in the better. Get the whole lot done and dusted for 11am and then let em off the leash........."
They'll probably go on the session together as most of them hurl senior together. Who actually cares about winning a junior C championship anyway?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 03/12/2016 14:33:23    1938153

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "How in the name of christ is this anyones fault but Laois county board? Laois were out of the championship very early in both codes so they can't say the county players held it up. How many county players play junior c football? County board is to blame here, no one else."
This is only one incident of thousands replicated right across the country in most counties at all club levels & is the number one issue facing club players, if you are going to blame a county board, fine. But yes all strands from the top down to the county boards are to blame, those at the top oversee all strands of the games & are intrinsically linked. The bottom line is its it relavent if it's Junior C or minor or senior, the same problem is occuring all the time, master fixture lists that counties are made publish by Croke Park are works of fiction as most are never adhered to & players in most counties can't plan holidays, work etc. anyone defending this is either a county board official or higher officer, there is no defending the indefensible.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 03/12/2016 14:42:45    1938154

Link

Did anyone actually bother reading the article? The clubs involved agreed on Stephen's Day as the date to play it.

The final was due to be played shortly after the semi-finals, but Rathdowney/Errill's qualification for the Laois SHC final in September threw a spanner in the works. When the final against Borris/Kilcotton went to a replay, both clubs decided that they couldn't play the football decider until St. Stephen's Day, so the county board can't be blamed for this one.

game.on.now.ger (Galway) - Posts: 423 - 03/12/2016 14:51:55    1938156

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "This is only one incident of thousands replicated right across the country in most counties at all club levels & is the number one issue facing club players, if you are going to blame a county board, fine. But yes all strands from the top down to the county boards are to blame, those at the top oversee all strands of the games & are intrinsically linked. The bottom line is its it relavent if it's Junior C or minor or senior, the same problem is occuring all the time, master fixture lists that counties are made publish by Croke Park are works of fiction as most are never adhered to & players in most counties can't plan holidays, work etc. anyone defending this is either a county board official or higher officer, there is no defending the indefensible."
Hanging your argument on one particular game, apparently agreed on by the club's concerned, leaves it looking rather flimsy.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 03/12/2016 15:20:58    1938158

Link

Attended a north kerry final between Listowel & Finuge in Ballybunion on st stephens day in front of 6000 people about ten years ago...was one of the best days out ever at a match.

hurler32 (Limerick) - Posts: 867 - 03/12/2016 15:42:44    1938160

Link

Isn't the internet great? Outrage first, the reality an afterthought.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 03/12/2016 16:00:34    1938163

Link

People play football because they enjoy it and quite a lot of players have no problem playing all year round. One of the biggest problem players have is the re-scheduling of matches thus not allowing for planning of events/holidays etc.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 03/12/2016 17:12:45    1938168

Link

Replying To neverright:  "Hanging your argument on one particular game, apparently agreed on by the club's concerned, leaves it looking rather flimsy."
I'm not basing my argument on one game, this is happening all the time at club level in all counties, if everyone thinks it's fine & having no affect you are blind to what's happening on the ground. Remarkable number of sheep in the Association these days.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 03/12/2016 17:39:58    1938172

Link

As a Laois man like a previous poster said they are basically the one club as it's in the hurling area of Laois. Both sides agreed to it so not really the county boards fault! I know a few clubs who put on novelty matches on St Stephens day and this is basically the same. They will prob go on the beer after the game! Between the two teams there could be up to 17 intercounty players from minor up to senior all hurlers!!

Ben (None) - Posts: 101 - 03/12/2016 17:41:15    1938173

Link

The gist of my argument is based on how club players are treated nationally & the fact that no fixture lists are adhered to, some lads probably putting it across more clearly than I am on another post, the CPA post. The arguments made there by lads like Whammo, Sponger, Crinnigan etc sum up the problem & yes the responsibility is right across the board & I have been involved at all levels over four decades & I think matters are now at a head. I can understand how some on here don't care as they only go to watch & support inter county teams but a post by Crinnigan on the CPA post is reflective of what young fellas are feeling & frustrated with.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 03/12/2016 20:00:29    1938188

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The gist of my argument is based on how club players are treated nationally & the fact that no fixture lists are adhered to, some lads probably putting it across more clearly than I am on another post, the CPA post. The arguments made there by lads like Whammo, Sponger, Crinnigan etc sum up the problem & yes the responsibility is right across the board & I have been involved at all levels over four decades & I think matters are now at a head. I can understand how some on here don't care as they only go to watch & support inter county teams but a post by Crinnigan on the CPA post is reflective of what young fellas are feeling & frustrated with."
Nobody is disagreeing with you that club fixtures are a shambles in some counties but this case in Laois is the wrong example to use. Here the county board seem to have fixed the game for the day requested by the clubs months ago, who clearly see it as a bit of craic for Stephens Day. It's actually a great example of clubs and a county board working together so players actually enjoy the sport. The Hoganstand article, suggesting the players will have to cancel Christmas, is a bit silly to be fair. It's junior C, nobody will be turning down the pudding to keep in shape for the game.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 03/12/2016 20:31:46    1938194

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "The 2 clubs in question are actually amalgamated for senior hurling. Obviously they didn't wanna play this Junior 'C' football til all the hurling championships (senior, minor, U21 etc) were finished.

Gotmilk,
"How many county players play junior c foit all?"
As Rathdowney-Erril are one of the top 2 or 3 hurling clubs in Laois, I'd say 3 or 4 anyway."
Unless I misread it, that's a belittling comment.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 03/12/2016 21:35:18    1938201

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The Laois Junior C final as reported here fixed for St Stephens day five months after the semi finals is symptomatic of everything that is wrong in the Gaa, it is not an isolated incident & won't be the only games nationwide on the day. Then we have President of the Association Aoghain O Fearghaíl speaking from the jaunt to Dubai about doing away with our national flag & anthem despite no talks, requests or negotiations on that subject. This just highlights the thinking of the Gaa & what is wrong, it's a two tier organisation now. One guy speaking from a trip to Dubai with all the elite county players, the others togging out after the turkey on Christmas Day with nobody to speak for them. Perhaps a Uachtaran you would be better served speaking on & sorting out the mess that is club football that involves 98% of the membership of those you are supposed to represent first before launching into a divisive political debate. In my opinion the Gaa is now on the path of two different Associations & Croke Park & the GPA have only the elite inter county player & the money that generates at heart. It's laughable having competitive games on Stephens day. No doubt we will hear the buck being passed that it's the clubs fault, County Boards, Croke Park, Provincial Councils, Ard Comhairle are all beyond blame. Two tier organisation that is haemoraging people from club level frustrated with crap such as games on St Stephens day."
It's not so long ago that leinster senior football club games were played during Christmas week and one in particular played on Christmas eve, a sacred family day.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 03/12/2016 21:41:39    1938204

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Unless I misread it, that's a belittling comment."
How so?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 03/12/2016 21:48:09    1938206

Link

The 2 clubs in question wanted to play this game on St Stephen's Day - don't go blaming Laois county board or the greater GAA in general.

Stupid thread.

CmonAymonow (Laois) - Posts: 160 - 21/12/2016 13:06:19    1941405

Link