National Forum

Am I the only one?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This will probably be savaged by the West brits amongst us but I refuse to hold my tongue any longer. I believe that it is crazy that the GAA would consider giving it's stadia and in the process a helping hand to a British sport who openly states it's intention to make itself top sport at the expense of our national pastimes. Is there anyone out there who knows of real actions we can take as individuals to damage this bid?

Concernedgael (Dublin) - Posts: 6 - 29/11/2016 16:57:36    1937282

Link

Replying To Concernedgael:  "This will probably be savaged by the West brits amongst us but I refuse to hold my tongue any longer. I believe that it is crazy that the GAA would consider giving it's stadia and in the process a helping hand to a British sport who openly states it's intention to make itself top sport at the expense of our national pastimes. Is there anyone out there who knows of real actions we can take as individuals to damage this bid?"
You ever try your hand at building bridges and getting over it?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 29/11/2016 17:25:21    1937290

Link

wear a celtic jersey and hold up a sign saying no to foreign games

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 29/11/2016 17:26:53    1937291

Link

Replying To Concernedgael:  "This will probably be savaged by the West brits amongst us but I refuse to hold my tongue any longer. I believe that it is crazy that the GAA would consider giving it's stadia and in the process a helping hand to a British sport who openly states it's intention to make itself top sport at the expense of our national pastimes. Is there anyone out there who knows of real actions we can take as individuals to damage this bid?"
What water polo? , it cant be cricket as that's a international sport, same as soccer , snooker, and rugby.
I tell you what, how about actually getting into 2016 and not living in a bitter inward looking world. Pathetic. And sure why not resort to name calling.
Your views are more to be pitied than laughed at,

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/11/2016 17:27:04    1937292

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "You ever try your hand at building bridges and getting over it?"
Jasus stop the press, we agree in something.
Better not make this a regular occurrence though. :)

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 29/11/2016 17:35:39    1937300

Link

The bid is happening buddy. Get used to it.

Only positive is if the GAA can get a better deal than they supposedly are getting.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 29/11/2016 17:54:47    1937307

Link

Don't fight it.I've already said i don't agree with the GAA giving our stadia for the Rugby World cup but if it happens,so be it.I trust the GAA to do the right thing and will accept any outcome.However,i will not read,listen or watch one minute of rugby coverage and by the sounds of it you wont either.Book a nice month long holiday to avoid the hype machine going into overdrive during the tournament (if it wins the bid) but it will be more difficult,but not impossible,to avoid the 6 year build up to it.Welcome to HS!

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 29/11/2016 18:00:11    1937310

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Don't fight it.I've already said i don't agree with the GAA giving our stadia for the Rugby World cup but if it happens,so be it.I trust the GAA to do the right thing and will accept any outcome.However,i will not read,listen or watch one minute of rugby coverage and by the sounds of it you wont either.Book a nice month long holiday to avoid the hype machine going into overdrive during the tournament (if it wins the bid) but it will be more difficult,but not impossible,to avoid the 6 year build up to it.Welcome to HS!"
No I cannot sit back and just watch this happen. Come on, someone out there knows of a politician who can ask how the media and powers that be managed to sign off on 90 million of taxpayers money FOR THE BID NOT EVEN THE TOURNAMENT ITSELF without a hint of a debate. I implore TRUE gaels to find the strength to ignore the d4 media propaganda and find real ways to scupper this bid.

Concernedgael (Dublin) - Posts: 6 - 29/11/2016 18:21:06    1937316

Link

Replying To Concernedgael:  "No I cannot sit back and just watch this happen. Come on, someone out there knows of a politician who can ask how the media and powers that be managed to sign off on 90 million of taxpayers money FOR THE BID NOT EVEN THE TOURNAMENT ITSELF without a hint of a debate. I implore TRUE gaels to find the strength to ignore the d4 media propaganda and find real ways to scupper this bid."
The horse has bolted I think.

I think it was debated at a recent congress as to whether we would offer our grounds to rugby for the bid. They greenlit it. You could bring a motion to your club about, I'd say it wouldn't get to the table though.

The GAA will benefit from it overall. Although I do understand the concern, I think the GAA is in a healthy enough state that the temporary increase in exposure for Rugby wouldn't have a serious detrimental effect.

Ireland winning the thing mightn't be great for the GAA but sure wouldn't it be great to see Ireland win a big World Cup like that.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4222 - 29/11/2016 18:58:52    1937333

Link

Fortunately they're are those in the GAA who are more broad minded and less insecure when it comes to opening grounds on a temporary basis in these circumstances. Those who oppose this loan of facilities would probably have been against opening Croke park also while Lansdowne was under reconstruction. The world didn't come to an end then either.GAA is alive and will continue to be.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 29/11/2016 19:32:13    1937343

Link

Rugby isn't even the top sport in its birth country after a world cup being held there, so what chance has it got in Ireland? Surely there are more important things to get active about, like losing a stone for Christmas or finishing the crossword in todays paper.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 29/11/2016 20:30:50    1937362

Link

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The elitist media would have the country believe that rugby is the most popular sport in our land. That is an undisbutable fact. The pseudo British in the dublin rugby elite have always believed this of course. With a successful bid the d4 media will go to work on the average country bumpkin and inner city slicker and I fear that the fickle nature of our human nature may allow the mob be brainwashed with the above mentioned untruth. The gaa seem to be sleepwalking into this with the belief that a quick dollar can be made with things returning to the status quo afterwards.

Concernedgael (Dublin) - Posts: 6 - 29/11/2016 20:45:40    1937368

Link

Replying To Concernedgael:  "I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The elitist media would have the country believe that rugby is the most popular sport in our land. That is an undisbutable fact. The pseudo British in the dublin rugby elite have always believed this of course. With a successful bid the d4 media will go to work on the average country bumpkin and inner city slicker and I fear that the fickle nature of our human nature may allow the mob be brainwashed with the above mentioned untruth. The gaa seem to be sleepwalking into this with the belief that a quick dollar can be made with things returning to the status quo afterwards."
would this be the same fickle human nature that you might be hoping to tap into with drastic overreactions of rugby's influence?

i cant speak for Dublin but i know that the GAA hub in Belfast, that already has a Unionist influence in general to contend with, will not be swayed by rugby. It is virtually non existent in west Belfast which is the home of 90% of GAA clubs in the city. If the world cup is in Ireland, Belfast can boast a brand new all seater GAA stadium that will host many big games, boosting GAA furthermore while the rugby moves back to Ravenhill in the South of the city, business as usual.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 29/11/2016 21:08:59    1937377

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "wear a celtic jersey and hold up a sign saying no to foreign games"
What have Celtic got to do with this?
Since you bring them up you might acknowledge your average rugger club they do a huge amount of charitable work for their community.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 305 - 29/11/2016 22:21:46    1937403

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Jasus stop the press, we agree in something.
Better not make this a regular occurrence though. :)"
Haha well they did say 2016 is a mad world.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 29/11/2016 22:43:53    1937408

Link

Replying To rcarragh:  "What have Celtic got to do with this?
Since you bring them up you might acknowledge your average rugger club they do a huge amount of charitable work for their community."
Obvious reference to the protestors outside Croke Park who objected to the opening of the stadium to "foreign" games and yet saw no irony in the fact that they were wearing Celtic jerseys while conducting the protest. Glasgow Celtic are a foreign club in case you didn't know.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 29/11/2016 22:45:55    1937409

Link

Replying To Concernedgael:  "I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The elitist media would have the country believe that rugby is the most popular sport in our land. That is an undisbutable fact. The pseudo British in the dublin rugby elite have always believed this of course. With a successful bid the d4 media will go to work on the average country bumpkin and inner city slicker and I fear that the fickle nature of our human nature may allow the mob be brainwashed with the above mentioned untruth. The gaa seem to be sleepwalking into this with the belief that a quick dollar can be made with things returning to the status quo afterwards."
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 29/11/2016 23:11:55    1937412

Link

I have to say I agree with most of what you're saying.
It looks like the GAA are sleepwalking into this and I think it will damage the association. That said I'd say the GAA were put under a huge amount of pressure to be part of it.
Basically the IRFU are being disingenuous with this bid and will use this to attract players to their organisation. They and their media budies sell themselves as somehow a more important sport than anything the GAA can offer, with the wider offer of international representation, which in reality consists mainly of commonwealth nations, hardly a good international spread, or the British Lions whatever that is supposed to represent.
Basically they'd like to would like to take over the GAA, facilities and players both.

You can see by the replies you've got that you are right to be worried. People either aren't prepared to acknowledge what's happening, don't really understand what's happening. or are basically west brits (usual suspects: Limerick, Meath etc.) and are glad it's happening.

How to counteract it though is more difficult. Poor leadership at the top and an unwillingness to really stand up for the organisation are part of the problem. With the likes of Jarlath Burns encouraging the removal of the national flag and anthem at games it looks like the organisation is heading in the wrong direction. Worrying times.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 305 - 29/11/2016 23:45:52    1937417

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "Obvious reference to the protestors outside Croke Park who objected to the opening of the stadium to "foreign" games and yet saw no irony in the fact that they were wearing Celtic jerseys while conducting the protest. Glasgow Celtic are a foreign club in case you didn't know."
Sorry you haven't thrown any light on it for me. Not sure what a soccer club has to do with this thread - please enlighten me further. You seem to be talking about something that happened a good few years ago that has no relevance to the current situation. A bit like talking about the Galway football team when discussing the destination of Sam. Entirely irrelevant.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 305 - 29/11/2016 23:51:58    1937419

Link

I implore TRUE gaels to find the strength to ignore the d4 media propaganda
Concernedgael (Dublin) - Posts:3 - 29/11/2016 18:21:06

guess we wont be watching up for the match then!!! or messers brolly spillane and orourke

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 30/11/2016 00:02:56    1937422

Link