National Forum

Can the GAA survive the Rugby onslaught

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i just wonder where the GAA will be in the next 50 years
such competition exists for the services of our sporting Youths that i fear that the GAA will get swamped by it all.
Look at a current team from another sport who are doing well in the east of Ireland and all the publicity that the gather with only a hand full of spectators at sporting fixture that the have appeared in .
Look at the PR machine that following the irl ruggers to the mid west this weekend. It was all hyped up.
The GAA has to waken up and promote our game

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3855 - 06/11/2016 08:40:49    1931981

Link

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith here

such competition exists for the services of our sporting Youths that i fear that the GAA will get swamped by it all.
Look at a current team from another sport who are doing well in the east of Ireland and all the publicity that the gather with only a hand full of spectators at sporting fixture that the have appeared in .
Look at the PR machine that following the irl ruggers to the mid west this weekend. It was all hyped up.
The GAA has to waken up and promote our game"
Ya tom, the GAA better start pumping a few million a year into Dublin GAA to develope football to save them from the evils of rugby and soccer.

Oh ya I forgot, they're all ready doing that since 2005 :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 06/11/2016 10:24:01    1931998

Link

Agree with Tom Smith.
The GAA needs to wake up and to do it quick.The championship structures are outdated and need to be changed.
It should not take the guts of 5 months to play the All Ireland championships especially the hurling where there are no more than 4 or 5 teams in any given year with a chance of winning and probably no more than 12 teams competing.
Rugby is making great strides make no mistake.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 06/11/2016 11:47:02    1932016

Link

Big piece on the Indo on Connacht Rugby & it's benefits to the city. Fantastic PR work been done by Connacht Rugby who are also hoovering up huge sums in sponsorship. The atmosphere & hospitality & food & drink available outside the Sportsground & inside it despite a poor ground is exceptional. The promotion of their games is exceptional as well & especially their interaction with schools. The schools scene is something I am very aware of & as someone of my colleagues put it recently, the kids love to see the rugby coaches coming boys & girls & all take part. The Gaa version has kids not wanting to do it, people being late, badly structured & the difference is kids don't look forward to it, it is an inferior product badly delivered. But then when you have coaching officers involved with county & college teams how could it be any better. Croke Park need to get people who will do the job. The football county final in Galway only attracted over 4000 people this despite that one of the finalists were playing the final in their own parish which is the biggest in Galway with over 23000 people. There was very little PR about the final or trying to attract people to watch it. It's not the fault of the two clubs involved they should be assisted by their football board/county board on promoting this. Another difference in the professionalism is where Connacht Rugby did up the Sportsground, put in floodlighting, new stand, hall & gym, dressing rooms & meeting rooms, got the planning permission & even funding from Galway City Council, contrast that with Galway GAA's shambolic attempts, yes attempts, it's been going on for years & if you goggle it you will see even the planning process & some of the mishandling, that the lights never went ahead. Ally this with chaotic it non existent traffic management plans & you see the difference. The vast majority of sponsorship in the city, including supporters is towards rugby, this the biggest urban base in the West of Ireland. Not only that but the growing number of supporters & players drifting to it from Gaa is also growing. I don't see things changing in particular at local level where politics in Gaa is rife.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 06/11/2016 12:53:44    1932030

Link

If the media in this country get their way rugby will be the no1 sport in the country in ten years. Lets call a spade a spade we won a friendly match against NZ and you'd swear we just won the world cup.

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 06/11/2016 13:51:40    1932046

Link

Replying To 11jm11:  "If the media in this country get their way rugby will be the no1 sport in the country in ten years. Lets call a spade a spade we won a friendly match against NZ and you'd swear we just won the world cup."
Circle the wagon boys! All you need to know about rugby is the acceptable alcohol sponsorship of competitions whereas the thick unwashed gaa folk aren't allowed to have it for they might be swayed to take a drink. Our rugby playing overlords are able to handle their drink!

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 06/11/2016 15:10:15    1932068

Link

Winning a non competitive game that exists as a money making venture is not anything to be crowing about.We were bound to beat them at some stage in one of these typoe of games when New Zealand are never going to be 100% at it after such a long season.

When Ireland beat New Zealand in a knockout world cup or get to at least a semi final it'll be something to be proud of.

There is far too much emphasis placed on what are challenge matches where one team has a distinct disadvantage (Northern Hempishere teams in the Summer international and southern hemisphere teams in the November internationals)

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 06/11/2016 15:13:07    1932069

Link

The GAA has to waken up and promote our game
tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts:2780 - 06/11/2016 08:40:49
GAA wont ever get swamped by other sports but giving more kids greater options to play more sports is better for everyone. Kids can learn more skills and use skills from different sports to improve their other sports like using tactics and skills more used in rugby to improve their gaelic and vice versa. There of course was an element of hype that followed the rugby team but its the same kind of hype that follows the inter county football and hurling teams in big games.

Agree with Tom Smith. The GAA needs to wake up and to do it quick.The championship structures are outdated and need to be changed.
It should not take the guts of 5 months to play the All Ireland championships especially the hurling where there are no more than 4 or 5 teams in any given year with a chance of winning and probably no more than 12 teams competing.
Rugby is making great strides make no mistake.
Condorman (Dublin) - Posts:673 - 06/11/2016 11:47:02
I don't see an issue with it taking 5 months or so for all Ireland championship to run as its the main event of the GAA in terms of promotion especially against other sports and if you want to help promote gaelic and hurling more in the media you need the inter county games. The whole season structure needs to change as that will help GAA compete against other sporting nations.

If the media in this country get their way rugby will be the no1 sport in the country in ten years. Lets call a spade a spade we won a friendly match against NZ and you'd swear we just won the world cup.
11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts:161 - 06/11/2016 13:51:40
Dismissing the win as only being a friendly is nonsense. We beat New Zealand for the first time ever. New Zealand have won the last 2 world cups. New Zealand were a side that had the longest tier 1 unbeaten record in rugby history

Winning a non competitive game that exists as a money making venture is not anything to be crowing about.We were bound to beat them at some stage in one of these typoe of games when New Zealand are never going to be 100% at it after such a long season.
When Ireland beat New Zealand in a knockout world cup or get to at least a semi final it'll be something to be proud of.
There is far too much emphasis placed on what are challenge matches where one team has a distinct disadvantage (Northern Hempishere teams in the Summer international and southern hemisphere teams in the November internationals)
uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts:1008 - 06/11/2016 15:13:07
Completely dismissing the game as a non competitive money maker is ridiculous and makes you just look petty. There isn't too much emphasis placed on these games.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 06/11/2016 17:34:44    1932098

Link

Tomsmith cavan

Having to look at a recent domestic cup final is like watching cabbage grow .
i feel that no matter how the beautiful game pundits talk up that great game I would prefer to be Breffni Park looking at a Junior C final

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3855 - 06/11/2016 17:38:56    1932101

Link

For some GAA people, I'd say it's mainly an older generation, it's like a sign of weakness if rugby, basketball, soccer or other sports are mentioned when people talk about improving the game or if we have people playing GAA during the summer and other sports out of GAA season.

The defensive games debate could look at the rugby scoring in leagues to promote a more attacking game rather than reward ultra defence. Bonus point for three goals. A bonus point for a losing team who finish 3 or less points from their opponents in a game.

Like the three point rule in basketball maybe a two pointer for a point from play outside the 40 less than 3 yards from the sideline.

From soccer no backpass to the keeper and from basketball it's a turnover if the ball goes back into the attacking teams half once it crosses the halfway line.

'Sure that's a soccer idea'.So what ? Adapt it maybe even make it better. Parents seeing the GAA adapting the game making it fun for kids are more likely to encourage them to GAA. My daughter has been to two Cúl camps and loved them but she's only 6 and too young for camogie, but grand for Karate! I hear rugby have tots rugby ? GAA might have something similar?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 06/11/2016 19:54:52    1932137

Link

I thought rugby had reached it's zenith. The provinces are not getting spectacular crowds. They mistreated their main competition, the Pro 12 which is viewed like the national leagues. Crowds go to the European games which are their championship equivalent. They are considering private investment for the provinces.

Other sports will go through fads but the natural habitat remains. If young sports people want the acclaim of their people, they can achieve through gaelic football or hurling.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7818 - 06/11/2016 20:10:39    1932143

Link

What's happened???

I thought RTE were to blame for all the problems that have befallen GAA games coverage and development over the last few months and years (and specifically the RTE Six One News)? So it might actually be to do with the GAA organisation itself? Maybe the penny has finally dropped.

jimski (Kildare) - Posts: 381 - 06/11/2016 20:43:22    1932153

Link

I wouldn't worry too much, wait a few more years until Leinster and Munster start complaining that they no longer have 99% of players on the Irish rugby panel then it will even out, how dare Connacht and Ulster take up 30-35% of the Irish panel, I remember being in a pub watching Ireland v Wales a few years ago and naturally everybody was supporting Ireland, that is until a few home truths were told, no Connacht players on the team, 1 Ulster player, a manager that was sacked by Ireland now managing Wales while his vice manager was given the irish job behind his back, and massive hype around the Ireland team even though they hadn't won anything, the crowd changed their view and supported Wales that day which Wales won for the Grand Slam. One word Warren Gatland with always have a special place in Connacht hearts

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 06/11/2016 20:46:35    1932156

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Big piece on the Indo on Connacht Rugby & it's benefits to the city. Fantastic PR work been done by Connacht Rugby who are also hoovering up huge sums in sponsorship. The atmosphere & hospitality & food & drink available outside the Sportsground & inside it despite a poor ground is exceptional. The promotion of their games is exceptional as well & especially their interaction with schools. The schools scene is something I am very aware of & as someone of my colleagues put it recently, the kids love to see the rugby coaches coming boys & girls & all take part. The Gaa version has kids not wanting to do it, people being late, badly structured & the difference is kids don't look forward to it, it is an inferior product badly delivered. But then when you have coaching officers involved with county & college teams how could it be any better. Croke Park need to get people who will do the job. The football county final in Galway only attracted over 4000 people this despite that one of the finalists were playing the final in their own parish which is the biggest in Galway with over 23000 people. There was very little PR about the final or trying to attract people to watch it. It's not the fault of the two clubs involved they should be assisted by their football board/county board on promoting this. Another difference in the professionalism is where Connacht Rugby did up the Sportsground, put in floodlighting, new stand, hall & gym, dressing rooms & meeting rooms, got the planning permission & even funding from Galway City Council, contrast that with Galway GAA's shambolic attempts, yes attempts, it's been going on for years & if you goggle it you will see even the planning process & some of the mishandling, that the lights never went ahead. Ally this with chaotic it non existent traffic management plans & you see the difference. The vast majority of sponsorship in the city, including supporters is towards rugby, this the biggest urban base in the West of Ireland. Not only that but the growing number of supporters & players drifting to it from Gaa is also growing. I don't see things changing in particular at local level where politics in Gaa is rife."
Agree moc.dna as an occasional visitor to the Sportsground and a regular attendee at all sorts of GAA matches around the province where the games are generally great but the presentation is brutal , dull and unimaginative in the extreme. The professional ( as in paid, pensionable and unsackable ) wing of Connacht GAA is based out of Ballyhaunis and a less professional setup is beyond description.

From first hand experience at our own club where on game day the Connacht Council forces us to put up 6 * 4 sheets of chipboard to block up dressing room doors which exit out to the hall and on to our club bar lest the corrupting influence of the devils milk cross the lips of players and supporters. We are not allowed open the bar until games are over. You can check with any official of St Brigids club and validate that this nonsense actually goes on.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 214 - 06/11/2016 20:51:45    1932160

Link

Replying To 11jm11:  "If the media in this country get their way rugby will be the no1 sport in the country in ten years. Lets call a spade a spade we won a friendly match against NZ and you'd swear we just won the world cup."
You know what though, it's not a friendly match.

It's a test match, in Rugby that means something. The tradition in their game means that every game counts.

It's an attitude I wish we had more of in our games. The GAA doesn't even give the National League much respect.

Poor crowds, teams using it as a warm up competition. Played at a terrible time of the season. How often do you hear, "a sure it was only the league ". There was a story going around this year that Kerry had a hard training session the day before the final. I don't know if that was true, likely wasn't but it was in the realm of being plausible.

We don't do ourselves any favours at times when it comes to selling our games.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4201 - 06/11/2016 21:18:14    1932170

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Big piece on the Indo on Connacht Rugby & it's benefits to the city. Fantastic PR work been done by Connacht Rugby who are also hoovering up huge sums in sponsorship. The atmosphere & hospitality & food & drink available outside the Sportsground & inside it despite a poor ground is exceptional. The promotion of their games is exceptional as well & especially their interaction with schools. The schools scene is something I am very aware of & as someone of my colleagues put it recently, the kids love to see the rugby coaches coming boys & girls & all take part. The Gaa version has kids not wanting to do it, people being late, badly structured & the difference is kids don't look forward to it, it is an inferior product badly delivered. But then when you have coaching officers involved with county & college teams how could it be any better. Croke Park need to get people who will do the job. The football county final in Galway only attracted over 4000 people this despite that one of the finalists were playing the final in their own parish which is the biggest in Galway with over 23000 people. There was very little PR about the final or trying to attract people to watch it. It's not the fault of the two clubs involved they should be assisted by their football board/county board on promoting this. Another difference in the professionalism is where Connacht Rugby did up the Sportsground, put in floodlighting, new stand, hall & gym, dressing rooms & meeting rooms, got the planning permission & even funding from Galway City Council, contrast that with Galway GAA's shambolic attempts, yes attempts, it's been going on for years & if you goggle it you will see even the planning process & some of the mishandling, that the lights never went ahead. Ally this with chaotic it non existent traffic management plans & you see the difference. The vast majority of sponsorship in the city, including supporters is towards rugby, this the biggest urban base in the West of Ireland. Not only that but the growing number of supporters & players drifting to it from Gaa is also growing. I don't see things changing in particular at local level where politics in Gaa is rife."
Agree moc.dna as an occasional visitor to the Sportsground and a regular attendee at all sorts of GAA matches around the province where the games are generally great but the presentation is brutal , dull and unimaginative in the extreme. The professional ( as in paid, pensionable and unsackable ) wing of Connacht GAA is based out of Ballyhaunis and a less professional setup is beyond description.

From first hand experience at our own club where on game day the Connacht Council forces us to put up 6 * 4 sheets of chipboard to block up dressing room doors which exit out to the hall and on to our club bar lest the corrupting influence of the devils milk cross the lips of players and supporters. We are not allowed open the bar until games are over. You can check with any official of St Brigids club and validate that this nonsense actually goes on.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 214 - 06/11/2016 21:28:35    1932174

Link

Replying To jimski:  "What's happened???

I thought RTE were to blame for all the problems that have befallen GAA games coverage and development over the last few months and years (and specifically the RTE Six One News)? So it might actually be to do with the GAA organisation itself? Maybe the penny has finally dropped."
It took the penny a long time to drop if a related thread on the HS forum is anything to go by.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 06/11/2016 21:33:27    1932176

Link

The GAA are terrible at marketing and promotion.Everybody knows that but considering how dangerous a game rugby is to play nowand will become in the future the GAA should really be hyping itself up more and accentuating the positive of the games and the GAA need to cop on and realise they are doing a terrible job promoting the games.

The media however have a massive bias towards rugby the teams are constantly over hyped any negativity is brushed aside and given zero coverage and the coverage of galeic games by journalsist almost always focuses on the negative ratehr than the positive.It's difficult to compete with that kind of shite.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 06/11/2016 21:36:18    1932179

Link

For some GAA people, I'd say it's mainly an older generation, it's like a sign of weakness if rugby, basketball, soccer or other sports are mentioned when people talk about improving the game or if we have people playing GAA during the summer and other sports out of GAA season.
The defensive games debate could look at the rugby scoring in leagues to promote a more attacking game rather than reward ultra defence. Bonus point for three goals. A bonus point for a losing team who finish 3 or less points from their opponents in a game.
Like the three point rule in basketball maybe a two pointer for a point from play outside the 40 less than 3 yards from the sideline.
From soccer no backpass to the keeper and from basketball it's a turnover if the ball goes back into the attacking teams half once it crosses the halfway line.
'Sure that's a soccer idea'.So what ? Adapt it maybe even make it better. Parents seeing the GAA adapting the game making it fun for kids are more likely to encourage them to GAA. My daughter has been to two Cúl camps and loved them but she's only 6 and too young for camogie, but grand for Karate! I hear rugby have tots rugby ? GAA might have something similar?
GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:2951 - 06/11/2016 19:54:52
Fair points and its the same in other sports.

I thought rugby had reached it's zenith. The provinces are not getting spectacular crowds. They mistreated their main competition, the Pro 12 which is viewed like the national leagues. Crowds go to the European games which are their championship equivalent. They are considering private investment for the provinces.
Other sports will go through fads but the natural habitat remains. If young sports people want the acclaim of their people, they can achieve through gaelic football or hurling.
legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts:5088 - 06/11/2016 20:10:39
Provinces are getting ok crowds but when you have a guaranteed 14 home games a season people will pick and choose what to attend and the pro12 isn't treated like national leagues and your analogy is completely wrong considering the way the GAA season is set up compared to the rugby season.

What's happened???
I thought RTE were to blame for all the problems that have befallen GAA games coverage and development over the last few months and years (and specifically the RTE Six One News)? So it might actually be to do with the GAA organisation itself? Maybe the penny has finally dropped.
jimski (Kildare) - Posts:274 - 06/11/2016 20:43:22
Hahaha. Spot on

I wouldn't worry too much, wait a few more years until Leinster and Munster start complaining that they no longer have 99% of players on the Irish rugby panel then it will even out, how dare Connacht and Ulster take up 30-35% of the Irish panel, I remember being in a pub watching Ireland v Wales a few years ago and naturally everybody was supporting Ireland, that is until a few home truths were told, no Connacht players on the team, 1 Ulster player, a manager that was sacked by Ireland now managing Wales while his vice manager was given the irish job behind his back, and massive hype around the Ireland team even though they hadn't won anything, the crowd changed their view and supported Wales that day which Wales won for the Grand Slam. One word Warren Gatland with always have a special place in Connacht hearts
riverboys (Mayo) - Posts:754 - 06/11/2016 20:46:35
No Connacht players have usually been on irish teams as they have not been good enough. Same with Ulster in recent years. Irish rugby squads have been dominated by Munster and Leinster over past few years as in the main they have been the two strongest provinces. Munster were/are 3rd for a period behind Ulster but Ulster underachieved for ages.
Warren Gatland was never irish manager. He was the head coach. Different sports have different terms. Eddie O Sullivan, Declan Kidney, Joe Schmidt none have ever been irish manager.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 06/11/2016 22:17:58    1932194

Link

You know what though, it's not a friendly match.
It's a test match, in Rugby that means something. The tradition in their game means that every game counts.
It's an attitude I wish we had more of in our games. The GAA doesn't even give the National League much respect.
Poor crowds, teams using it as a warm up competition. Played at a terrible time of the season. How often do you hear, "a sure it was only the league ". There was a story going around this year that Kerry had a hard training session the day before the final. I don't know if that was true, likely wasn't but it was in the realm of being plausible.
We don't do ourselves any favours at times when it comes to selling our games.
Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts:1146 - 06/11/2016 21:18:14
Yep. GAA could do so much better in promoting itself. All too often(though is much better now) fans, players and coaches alike dismiss the leagues as "only the league". How else do you promote it and you cant complain about alleged media bias if you don't support it yourself.

The GAA are terrible at marketing and promotion.Everybody knows that but considering how dangerous a game rugby is to play nowand will become in the future the GAA should really be hyping itself up more and accentuating the positive of the games and the GAA need to cop on and realise they are doing a terrible job promoting the games.
The media however have a massive bias towards rugby the teams are constantly over hyped any negativity is brushed aside and given zero coverage and the coverage of galeic games by journalsist almost always focuses on the negative ratehr than the positive.It's difficult to compete with that kind of shite.
uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts:1009 - 06/11/2016 21:36:18
Rugby isn't that dangerous a game to play. There isn't any bias towards rugby in the media. What exactly is over hyped? Surely that's simply marketing and people doing their job and GAA should be looking at its own people and not criticising rugby for GAA people being overly negative towards their own sports organisation....

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 06/11/2016 22:18:28    1932196

Link