National Forum

All Ireland Club Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Who do you fancy for Munster/Leinster and to go all the way and win the Tommy Moore Cup? I think Thurles for Munster and Leinster is wide open with Oulart and Cuala potentially meeting in the final again. St Thomas and Slaughtneil await in the All-Ireland series. Always enjoy watching this competition!

This weekend's fixtures:

Leinster club SHC quarter-finals

Oulart-The Ballagh (Wexford) v St Rynagh's (Offaly), Innovate Wexford Park, 2pm
Raharney (Westmeath) v St Mullins (Carlow), Cusack Park, 2pm
Cuala (Dublin) v Borris-Kilcotton (Laois), Parnell Park, 2pm

Munster club SHC semi-finals

Ballyea (Clare) v Thurles Sarsfields (Tipperary), Cusack Park, Ennis, 2pm
Patrickswell (Limerick) v Glen Rovers (Cork), Gaelic Grounds, 3.30pm

GAA BEO

Munster Hurling Semi-Final: Ballyea v Thurles Sarsfields LIVE
Leinster Hurling Quater-Final: Oulart the Ballagh v St. Rynagh's

PortInFaithful (Offaly) - Posts: 472 - 02/11/2016 16:25:40    1930967

Link

Replying To PortInFaithful:  "Who do you fancy for Munster/Leinster and to go all the way and win the Tommy Moore Cup? I think Thurles for Munster and Leinster is wide open with Oulart and Cuala potentially meeting in the final again. St Thomas and Slaughtneil await in the All-Ireland series. Always enjoy watching this competition!

This weekend's fixtures:

Leinster club SHC quarter-finals

Oulart-The Ballagh (Wexford) v St Rynagh's (Offaly), Innovate Wexford Park, 2pm
Raharney (Westmeath) v St Mullins (Carlow), Cusack Park, 2pm
Cuala (Dublin) v Borris-Kilcotton (Laois), Parnell Park, 2pm

Munster club SHC semi-finals

Ballyea (Clare) v Thurles Sarsfields (Tipperary), Cusack Park, Ennis, 2pm
Patrickswell (Limerick) v Glen Rovers (Cork), Gaelic Grounds, 3.30pm

GAA BEO

Munster Hurling Semi-Final: Ballyea v Thurles Sarsfields LIVE
Leinster Hurling Quater-Final: Oulart the Ballagh v St. Rynagh's"
good post!! i love the club scene also. patrickswell and cuala wont go out lying down of munster and leinster respectfully. think ballygunner should have taken sars out. one thing for sure its building up to be a great championshio

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 02/11/2016 20:05:04    1931011

Link

Yes,it is a great competition.Always hard to call a winner.On what i've seen so far i'd give St Thomas' a hesitant nod.Thurles have an excellent backline but their forwards will need to improve.Their my second choice.Leinster is strong with plenty of good games to look forward to.I'll give O Loughlin Gaels the nod and that rounds up my top three predictions.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 02/11/2016 20:14:40    1931012

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "Yes,it is a great competition.Always hard to call a winner.On what i've seen so far i'd give St Thomas' a hesitant nod.Thurles have an excellent backline but their forwards will need to improve.Their my second choice.Leinster is strong with plenty of good games to look forward to.I'll give O Loughlin Gaels the nod and that rounds up my top three predictions."
I think Cuala for Leinster. The Leinster championship looks very competitive. Thurles never seem to do much. Id fancy a Thurles V Patrickswell Munster final.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 02/11/2016 21:27:46    1931028

Link

Oulart are great odds. A very experienced team used to hurling in the winter. If it was a summer competition I'd go for thurles but they aren't dogged enough imo

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 03/11/2016 10:03:41    1931092

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Oulart are great odds. A very experienced team used to hurling in the winter. If it was a summer competition I'd go for thurles but they aren't dogged enough imo"
Tiobraid, I am convinced Oulart would have won far more than they have if it was a summer competition. They have classy, stylish hurler but they could never get over the line because winter hurling suits big strong physical men which they lacked for a long time.
They got over the line last year, I think they are up against it in Leinster this year though. But maybe the monkey off their back means they will play with more freedom, they were within a puck of a ball of winning against NaPiarsaigh last year.
What odds are they?

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 03/11/2016 10:53:35    1931121

Link

Think Borris-Kilcotton could be dark horses of leinster, could create a surprise. One thing about the leinster club the Kilkenny teams are not that formidable compared to their county counterparts. Its open especially last 4 or5 years. Saint Rynaghs of Offaly will be full of entuaisaism after winning offaly since 1993, Saint Mullins of Carlow should put up a better performance this year than the last few years while Raharney are a tough physical side. Cualas experience in leinster last year should stand to them too. So no more than a puck of a ball between any of the teams. If I was to say who would win leinster on paper it should be oulart the ballagh, but you can never write off o loughlin gaels with the Kilkenny tradion.
In Munster I think its more clear cut, Thurles have the best team on paper by a long shot and now that Ballygunner are out of the way should win munster comfortably. Ballyhea from Clare even with the great tony Kelly don't look like that good of a team. Thurles to win munster.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 733 - 03/11/2016 15:35:19    1931242

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "Tiobraid, I am convinced Oulart would have won far more than they have if it was a summer competition. They have classy, stylish hurler but they could never get over the line because winter hurling suits big strong physical men which they lacked for a long time.
They got over the line last year, I think they are up against it in Leinster this year though. But maybe the monkey off their back means they will play with more freedom, they were within a puck of a ball of winning against NaPiarsaigh last year.
What odds are they?"
In fairness you're better positioned than me to make that judgement. I was more hinting that thurles are like that. I think oulart are seasoned though.
Ive a few quid each way on them at 14/1

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 03/11/2016 16:25:53    1931257

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "In fairness you're better positioned than me to make that judgement. I was more hinting that thurles are like that. I think oulart are seasoned though.
Ive a few quid each way on them at 14/1"
You say Oulart are seasoned.I agree and their dual with St Rynaghs will be tasty.The Munster semi finals will be spicey affairs.For Thurles i feel there is no thyme like the present although there forwards will need to pepper the goalposts a lot more.Slaughtneil,if Joe Brolly is to be believed,are the salt of the earth and will relish a semi final.The club scene really is flavour of the month at this time of year.I fancy St Thomas' to taste success on our national day next March.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 03/11/2016 17:02:38    1931274

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "You say Oulart are seasoned.I agree and their dual with St Rynaghs will be tasty.The Munster semi finals will be spicey affairs.For Thurles i feel there is no thyme like the present although there forwards will need to pepper the goalposts a lot more.Slaughtneil,if Joe Brolly is to be believed,are the salt of the earth and will relish a semi final.The club scene really is flavour of the month at this time of year.I fancy St Thomas' to taste success on our national day next March."
St Thomas are 11/4 favourites with Paddy Power (for the AI), followed by O'Loughlin Gaels (my fancy) at 4/1 and Cuala at 5/1.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2445 - 03/11/2016 21:08:07    1931353

Link

One thing about the leinster club the Kilkenny teams are not that formidable compared to their county counterparts.
preddan (Kildare) - Posts:219 - 03/11/2016 15:35:19 1931242

Kilkenny teams have won 9 of the last 16 Leinster Senior Club Hurling Championships.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2445 - 03/11/2016 21:14:36    1931355

Link

Replying To Cockney_Cat:  " One thing about the leinster club the Kilkenny teams are not that formidable compared to their county counterparts.
preddan (Kildare) - Posts:219 - 03/11/2016 15:35:19 1931242

Kilkenny teams have won 9 of the last 16 Leinster Senior Club Hurling Championships."
Kilkenny clubs won 7 of 8 championships from 2003 to 2010.
However, they've only won 1 of the last 5.
Infact, of the 10 finalists from the last 5 editions, only 1 has been from Kilkenny.
So nowhere near as dominant as the county team.

extranjero (Wexford) - Posts: 375 - 03/11/2016 22:21:06    1931370

Link

Borris Kilcotton will be a serious test for Cuala but I expect the Dublin forwards' class to shine through. The likes of the Treacys, Schuttes and Colm Cronin...

Rynagh's are missing three key players for their Oulart clash, according to the Offaly page. I think they will struggle down in Wexford, hopefully not.

Any chance of St Mullins making it third time lucky against the Westmeath champions? They lost to Raharney in 2014 by eight points and Clonkill by twelve in 2015, now they have Raharney again...

Thurles should be too strong for Ballyea who won't pose the same threat as Ballygunner did. Ballyea are on the back of winning their first ever Clare title. Easiest call of the weekend.

Finally, Patrickswell to make it eight years without a provincial win for the Cork senior champions. They beat Glen Rovers easy enough in a challenge a few weeks back and should do so again.

PortInFaithful (Offaly) - Posts: 472 - 04/11/2016 15:14:49    1931557

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "You say Oulart are seasoned.I agree and their dual with St Rynaghs will be tasty.The Munster semi finals will be spicey affairs.For Thurles i feel there is no thyme like the present although there forwards will need to pepper the goalposts a lot more.Slaughtneil,if Joe Brolly is to be believed,are the salt of the earth and will relish a semi final.The club scene really is flavour of the month at this time of year.I fancy St Thomas' to taste success on our national day next March."
I don't see Thomas' winning it but you wouldn't know. Richie Ruth is a big loss to Thurles as he was flying this year. They lack a bit of physicality in the forward line but in my opinion they've the two best half backs in the game at the minute

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 04/11/2016 17:19:51    1931602

Link

If patrickswell can win munster they'd be the third different limerick team to win it in a row and 5 of the last 6 munster champs would be from limerick (nap have 3 and kilmallock have 1) and if they go one further they'd be the 3rd different limerick team in a row to make the all ireland final.

And I'd give them every chance. Only lost to nap by a point in the county final last year. Young team, have learnt a lot. And plenty of county experience with the likes of dirmuid byrnes cian lynch the o brien brothers, along with plenty of underage county stars and the evergreen Barry foley! Great tradition and will be hard to beat!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1055 - 05/11/2016 15:19:56    1931864

Link

If Thurles get out of Munster I'ld fancy them.
Otherwise I'ld go for O Loughlin Gaels.
I don't think Thomas's are as good as they were in 2013.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 05/11/2016 18:52:55    1931919

Link

Don't know about outright winners but I've a feeling borris will best Cuala today. Hope I'm wrong

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 06/11/2016 12:26:38    1932025

Link

Omg Thurles should of been out of sight and won comfortably, Gary Brennan what a goal. Extra time now I think.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 06/11/2016 15:20:02    1932071

Link

Thurles will be kicking themselves. Padraic Maher was immense again! Tony Kelly roared into the game late on.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 06/11/2016 16:18:05    1932080

Link

Replying To PortInFaithful:  "Borris Kilcotton will be a serious test for Cuala but I expect the Dublin forwards' class to shine through. The likes of the Treacys, Schuttes and Colm Cronin...

Rynagh's are missing three key players for their Oulart clash, according to the Offaly page. I think they will struggle down in Wexford, hopefully not.

Any chance of St Mullins making it third time lucky against the Westmeath champions? They lost to Raharney in 2014 by eight points and Clonkill by twelve in 2015, now they have Raharney again...

Thurles should be too strong for Ballyea who won't pose the same threat as Ballygunner did. Ballyea are on the back of winning their first ever Clare title. Easiest call of the weekend.

Finally, Patrickswell to make it eight years without a provincial win for the Cork senior champions. They beat Glen Rovers easy enough in a challenge a few weeks back and should do so again."
The beauty of the club championship - the easiest call of the weekend and your prediction was upset! Of course, Thurles were entitled to be hot favourites, the Lord only knows who will win the provincials, never mind the AI!

1914 (Clare) - Posts: 92 - 06/11/2016 16:50:51    1932085

Link