National Forum

Put the KICK back in football

(Oldest Posts First)

Rather than subject refs to count consecutive handpasses toward an appoved limit, going back to nought, counting again, back to nought off again, and again, and again......I'd get a headache, followed by becoming a zombie at 70 mins, incapable of counting anymore.
OK, I'm exaggerating...a little.
Instead....have a KICK Rule.....the ball must be kicked over a team's own 45 and 65 combined at all times. So make limitless FORWARD handpasses at will (no hand back passes anywhrre on the field) - but no solo or handpass across the 45 - KICK must travel at least 20 metres to the midfield zone or beyond.
Also, adopt the Brolly Kickout setup - 6 backs and forwafds behind both 45s, kickout to midfield zone, before anyone can rezone.

omahant (USA) - Posts: 2584 - 22/10/2016 19:37:19    1928357

Link

Replying To omahant:  "Rather than subject refs to count consecutive handpasses toward an appoved limit, going back to nought, counting again, back to nought off again, and again, and again......I'd get a headache, followed by becoming a zombie at 70 mins, incapable of counting anymore.
Instead....have a KICK Rule.....the ball must be kicked over a team's own 45 and 65 combined at all times. So make limitless FORWARD handpasses at will (no hand back passes anywhrre on the field) - but no solo or handpass across the 45 - KICK must travel at least 20 metres to the midfield zone or beyond.
Also, adopt the Brolly Kickout setup - 6 backs and forwafds behind both 45s, kickout to midfield zone, before anyone can rezone."
Are you moving onto this topic after reading the GAA's rather comprehensive document into the championship format and why many suggested formats are non-runners?

On the topic at hand, we'll have to see what positive change the mark might have on the game.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7842 - 22/10/2016 21:09:43    1928372

Link

I do not think that the mark will be of any benefit to the game-maybe they could have introduced a rule that was introduced in 7-aside many years ago- no back passing by hand or foot when you are in your own half of the field.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 22/10/2016 21:58:46    1928384

Link

Replying To omahant:  "Rather than subject refs to count consecutive handpasses toward an appoved limit, going back to nought, counting again, back to nought off again, and again, and again......I'd get a headache, followed by becoming a zombie at 70 mins, incapable of counting anymore.
Also, adopt the Brolly Kickout setup - 6 backs and forwafds behind both 45s, kickout to midfield zone, before anyone can rezone."
If you ban back handpasses then goals Peter Canavans in the 2005 all ireland final and a lot of 1-2s cannot happen anymore.

It's a completely daft idea.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 23/10/2016 19:16:01    1928471

Link

Either way, its sad to see the demise of kicking, especially long (40-60m) kicking in gaelic football. If you kick a ball now, the chances of losing possession are higher so its a risk not worth taking for most teams.

It makes games less enjoyable in my opinion

mawmouther (Meath) - Posts: 109 - 24/10/2016 13:12:13    1928628

Link

Replying To mawmouther:  "Either way, its sad to see the demise of kicking, especially long (40-60m) kicking in gaelic football. If you kick a ball now, the chances of losing possession are higher so its a risk not worth taking for most teams.

It makes games less enjoyable in my opinion"
I agree, so much analysis goes into a teams preparation nowaday and it's all about retaining possession. Ciaran Kilkenny is the perfect example of this. He has all the ability in the world and can pick out long range kick passes if he chooses but he has become more interested in keeping it safe by using the hand pass 90% of the time. I've actually watched a few matches of 90's football and the game has changed so much. That said, there was alot of aimless kick passing back then, real hit and hope stuff that wouldn't be accepted by supporters nowadays as it was back then. The fist pass if used correctly can be great to watch when mixed with a good kicking game. Kerry, Dublin and Mayo are then best teams at mixing it up nowadays while I thought Tipperary played a nice brand of football this year too. The fist pass is a unique skill and has to be kept but teams that don't have a kicking game will never won an All Ireland. Even my own county, who nowadays very rarely kick a ball, won games in 2012 against Kerry, Cork and Mayo on their way to all ireland glory with the perfect balance of running and kicking the ball. All of the Ulster teams as well as many others throughout the country need to have a little rethink on their attacking gameplans as the way it stands it leads to games with latteral hand passing and no speed to the attack and becomes terrible to watch for the neuteral. This years Ulster final must of been turned off by alot of people who tuned in to watch it.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 24/10/2016 16:40:33    1928675

Link

Just have to say club games at the business end of county championships are great events. Proper order that September might be freed up more.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7842 - 24/10/2016 19:10:17    1928707

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "I agree, so much analysis goes into a teams preparation nowaday and it's all about retaining possession. Ciaran Kilkenny is the perfect example of this. He has all the ability in the world and can pick out long range kick passes if he chooses but he has become more interested in keeping it safe by using the hand pass 90% of the time. I've actually watched a few matches of 90's football and the game has changed so much. That said, there was alot of aimless kick passing back then, real hit and hope stuff that wouldn't be accepted by supporters nowadays as it was back then. The fist pass if used correctly can be great to watch when mixed with a good kicking game. Kerry, Dublin and Mayo are then best teams at mixing it up nowadays while I thought Tipperary played a nice brand of football this year too. The fist pass is a unique skill and has to be kept but teams that don't have a kicking game will never won an All Ireland. Even my own county, who nowadays very rarely kick a ball, won games in 2012 against Kerry, Cork and Mayo on their way to all ireland glory with the perfect balance of running and kicking the ball. All of the Ulster teams as well as many others throughout the country need to have a little rethink on their attacking gameplans as the way it stands it leads to games with latteral hand passing and no speed to the attack and becomes terrible to watch for the neuteral. This years Ulster final must of been turned off by alot of people who tuned in to watch it."
Excellent post.

I really hope this year could be a turning point for the game. Reactive teams, mainly the Ulster, teams didn't perform well.

When these teams go behind they struggle to get themselves back in control of the game.

They'll need to learn to play more on the front foot.

The top teams are more comfortable against a mass defence than they were 3-5 years ago.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4223 - 24/10/2016 19:49:19    1928714

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "Excellent post.

I really hope this year could be a turning point for the game. Reactive teams, mainly the Ulster, teams didn't perform well.

When these teams go behind they struggle to get themselves back in control of the game.

They'll need to learn to play more on the front foot.

The top teams are more comfortable against a mass defence than they were 3-5 years ago."
I don't think next year will be a turning point for any teams.

Even if a team favours kicking the ball, its just not as effective as the way the game is played now. Losing possession with a 60/40 kickpass instead of a 95/5 handpass means you are coughing up possession with it being alot harder to get back these days because the chances are the team you are playing are going to handpass and keep possession. Most of the kickpasses are not even adventurous with a 30 yard, low-risk, one-bounce kickpass being the most common used.

Most teams seem to play two full forwards with the rest shuffling back and forward in either a counter-attacking mode or if the attack is slower they handpass around the twelve man "defence" until they get an opening. Not very enjoyable to watch.

Was excited by Mayo's willingness in the first half of the drawn final this year when they were willing to pump in a good load of longer ball to their full-forward line.

mawmouther (Meath) - Posts: 109 - 25/10/2016 11:08:34    1928800

Link

I'm not running down a handpassing game either and as the poster from Donegal said above, they won an All Ireland with a balance of kickpassing, running and handpassing.

I just think its a pity there isn't more more kicking in the game and haven't saw a rule change that will change that.

mawmouther (Meath) - Posts: 109 - 25/10/2016 16:25:43    1928915

Link

Replying To mawmouther:  "I don't think next year will be a turning point for any teams.

Even if a team favours kicking the ball, its just not as effective as the way the game is played now. Losing possession with a 60/40 kickpass instead of a 95/5 handpass means you are coughing up possession with it being alot harder to get back these days because the chances are the team you are playing are going to handpass and keep possession. Most of the kickpasses are not even adventurous with a 30 yard, low-risk, one-bounce kickpass being the most common used.

Most teams seem to play two full forwards with the rest shuffling back and forward in either a counter-attacking mode or if the attack is slower they handpass around the twelve man "defence" until they get an opening. Not very enjoyable to watch.

Was excited by Mayo's willingness in the first half of the drawn final this year when they were willing to pump in a good load of longer ball to their full-forward line."
Yeah I'm more hopeful that teams will be more attacking and proactive going forward and that'll maybe open the game up once again.

For instance Mayo were very direct against an attacking Tipp set up, particularly in the first half with Moran dictating where he wanted it. It was quality ball into space going in, rather than lumps into the full forward line.

The ultra defensive teams and counter attacking teams all really underperformed and I think they need to rethink.

Antrim and Armagh were awful. Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal all really struggled went they went behind and need to have a rethink if they're to aspire to success outside Ulster.Roscommon went incredibly conservative after shipping a number of goals v Sligo, didn't work for them. Kildare were really drab in their 2 Leinster outings. Galway won Connacht but also still lost to Tipp.

These teams all need to get a better balance into their games.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4223 - 25/10/2016 17:37:59    1928942

Link

Replying To mawmouther:  "I'm not running down a handpassing game either and as the poster from Donegal said above, they won an All Ireland with a balance of kickpassing, running and handpassing.

I just think its a pity there isn't more more kicking in the game and haven't saw a rule change that will change that."
Until finding something better - why not go with mine - must kick from behind the 45 over the 45 and 65 to midfield or beyond.

omahant (USA) - Posts: 2584 - 25/10/2016 17:51:25    1928950

Link