National Forum

A non Dubs view on Dublin- hurling

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

From the viewpoint of non Dubs what is it that you see the Dublin hurling team fall short of or lack in comparison to the top sides in the land?

Is it the speed we play the game, is it our touch under serious pressure in big games, is it our lack of a killer forward? A combo of things? Genuine answers as I'd like to see an honest view from outside the camp. Thanks

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 20/10/2016 19:34:54    1927984

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "From the viewpoint of non Dubs what is it that you see the Dublin hurling team fall short of or lack in comparison to the top sides in the land?

Is it the speed we play the game, is it our touch under serious pressure in big games, is it our lack of a killer forward? A combo of things? Genuine answers as I'd like to see an honest view from outside the camp. Thanks"
I like them in hurling but unfortunately there like Derry football . One day they have a great performance . Next day they play a terrible performance . They have great players that have the ability to do anything against anyone . Their one of those teams that play whatever form they are in on the day . I look forward to watching them through 2017 . I see a bright enough future for them .

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 20/10/2016 20:34:21    1927995

Link

I was at the championship game in Pairc Ui Rinn this year. I thought Dublin did ok that day considering it was 14 v 15 for most of the game. I think Dublin should have won that game as they were the better team on the night. That is not much praise though as Cork were terrible in every game they played this year. In fact, 14 men or not, Dublin should have won that game. It reflects badly on them that they were unable to do so. A bit of indiscipline and some of the decisions from the management team did not help.

You do of course have some very exciting players. You had a very good under 21 team this year.You are capable of a big performance. However, you are not at the championship intensity of Tipp/KK/Galway. I was at the All-Ireland final too and when you compare the speed and intensity of that game (what the KK/Tipp player could reach) to what the Dublin/Cork players could reach in their game, then you shudder...

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 20/10/2016 23:10:44    1928030

Link

I think the Dubs lack the skill levels of the top teams in the Country and rely too heavily on physicality. It is hard to maintain superior levels of intensity and physicality over an opponent regularly and that is the reason that Dublin are inconsistent.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2472 - 21/10/2016 03:24:00    1928051

Link

Yeah Dublin always looked to lack that natural first touch and I think the team of the last 8 years or so has had its day at this stage. Cunningham looks to be trying to bleed some new players but they're getting caught most days simply because they lack that ability to take scores when they're there. Even under Daly when things were going good, they seemed to struggle to score freely in games. Players like Paul Ryan, David Treacy and Dotsy O'Callaghn could look like superstars one day and average joes the next.
But it does seem that there are still players coming through which is promising.
It's a shame that Dublin didn't have the likes of Fallon and McCrabbe playing when they were in their best form at the same time with the likes of Keaney, Kelly and Sutcliffe. Not to mention the likes of Kilkenny and Costello going to football instead of sticking with the hurlers. Costello looked a natural hurler. I'd never seen Connolly play but some say he was excellent. Ronan Fallon is largely forgotten but back in 07 / 08 he was looking a fine prospect at centre back. Was it injury that finished him or did he have a fall out with Daly?

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 21/10/2016 09:36:24    1928071

Link

When our lads reach 22/23 they just don't have the same hours of hurling done as the rival counties. The vast majority of our lads have probably played as much football by 22/23 as they have played hurling. Matches/training/puckabouts etc.

The same isn't true in other counties where some have played almost exclusively hurling or at least a majority of hurling up to that point.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 21/10/2016 10:48:37    1928100

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "I think the Dubs lack the skill levels of the top teams in the Country and rely too heavily on physicality. It is hard to maintain superior levels of intensity and physicality over an opponent regularly and that is the reason that Dublin are inconsistent."
But why do we lack those skill levels? All kids in any county start off at the same level. There has to be something that changes. In fact id but Dublin up against anyone up to under 15 or 16 and give us a chance of beating them regularly. Something happens after that and I cant place it

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 21/10/2016 12:50:27    1928139

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "But why do we lack those skill levels? All kids in any county start off at the same level. There has to be something that changes. In fact id but Dublin up against anyone up to under 15 or 16 and give us a chance of beating them regularly. Something happens after that and I cant place it"
Its simple my lad is 16 on current Dublin panel , every second week him and squad play football , they have football matches for school , its not that they are neglecting their hurling , but eventually it catches up ,
we played v Tipperary and I got speaking to a coach he informed that whist they play matches on alternative weekends they only trained in small ball , it has to count.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/10/2016 13:53:33    1928152

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Its simple my lad is 16 on current Dublin panel , every second week him and squad play football , they have football matches for school , its not that they are neglecting their hurling , but eventually it catches up ,
we played v Tipperary and I got speaking to a coach he informed that whist they play matches on alternative weekends they only trained in small ball , it has to count."
I am with Damo on this. Dublin is one probably the only true Dual County in that nearly every club and every player plays both codes. Many counties that play both have a geographical split with one part of the county playing hurling the other football.

So our lads hurl far less in that 50% of their time is with the big ball.

witnof (Dublin) - Posts: 1604 - 21/10/2016 15:42:24    1928188

Link

If Dublin GAA is genuinely promoting the dual ethos then I think that's to be admired, not admonished. You can't say that's why the Dublin senior hurlers are so inconsistent, though. I think Dalo & subsequently Ger Cunningham have over-focused on systems instead of encouraging players to trust their instincts.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 21/10/2016 23:28:09    1928263

Link

Replying To Brianmac78:  "But why do we lack those skill levels? All kids in any county start off at the same level. There has to be something that changes. In fact id but Dublin up against anyone up to under 15 or 16 and give us a chance of beating them regularly. Something happens after that and I cant place it"
i think damo the dub hit the nail on the head. the mentality switches codes in too many of the kids as they get older. yes underage dublin is a great set up but i always felt that timeframe between minor and u21 the dub lads focus more on the big ball. fresh start needed again and a big push should be made on the league this year. ye already proven ye can beat the top 4/5 teams in previous leagues.

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 22/10/2016 14:51:04    1928319

Link

Fallon and McCrabbe were indeed class in their day, heard from a guy I used to work with that Fallon was out in Australia for a long time, now I'm open to correction on that , he was an absolute top class centre back.
I think one this is one of dublins biggest problems, guys slipping through the net or choosing to play football, in any of the stronger counties they can afford to lose a player or two due to the talent they have but this is a luxury that the Dubs can't afford.
Would love to see them push on next year all the same.

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1898 - 22/10/2016 15:45:09    1928320

Link

Don't get me wrong I do really hope the dubs win a senior A.I. in hurling, however they have got a lot of issues to sort out. Every young dual player wants to play football for Dublin as they will get better recognition, the players that do go hurling are. very 'drill' orientated and don't look natural. Short passing when under pressure is poor e.g. hand passes going above heads or falling short. Tackling is 'football like' i.e. bump in to the man or stand off him rather than watching the ball and tearing in and winning it.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 22/10/2016 17:13:30    1928326

Link

Replying To witnof:  "I am with Damo on this. Dublin is one probably the only true Dual County in that nearly every club and every player plays both codes. Many counties that play both have a geographical split with one part of the county playing hurling the other football.

So our lads hurl far less in that 50% of their time is with the big ball."
Me too. There's no doubt it has an effect. I remember back when I was in secondary school we concentrated solely on hurling. One of our main rivals was a dual sport school (hurling and rugby as it happens). We would love to see them doing well in rugby because we knew if they were doing well in the rugby we would have the measure of them at hurling. Their timing would be a little bit off, snatching at balls and dropping them etc. They were always more formidable when they were doing badly in rugby.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 22/10/2016 22:51:29    1928389

Link

Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 23/10/2016 01:38:37    1928400

Link

Dublin arent far off. Thats for sure. Theyve come from a long way off. Nearly every Dublin hurling team up until the 1970s and 80s was dominated by hurlers from other counties.
The fact that most play Gaelic football is a big factor. In Limerick we have had guys playing rugby and hurling for years but they choose which one at a certain age. Usually rugby lately. But the huge elephant in the room has already been mentioned. To be an excellent hurler you have to have the hurley in your hand every day.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 23/10/2016 09:10:33    1928407

Link

Thanks for the comments lads.

Consensus seems to be that too many lads are week on week off with football getting 50 % of players time and impacting on skill levels for hurling. Wrong or right I really can't see that changing. We've 6, I think, solely hurling clubs in Dublin and more worryingly none of them are playing divison 1 or are contenders for the championship nor do any stand out at juvenile, even as I type that I find that hugely worrying!

I also think our development squads pull lads at 13 and then coach them all to be very similar type of players, with in my opinion any natural talent killed out of a player

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 23/10/2016 09:26:34    1928410

Link

I'd have to agree with the lads suggesting the impact of duel playing demands. As lads get older recovery is a lot more difficult, throw school games into the mix and by Minor it is all going stale. Lads to who where on development squads have it harder. But it really goes wrong for Dublin at minor, we need to recruit better coaches, at the very least ones with no kids on the damn teams. Outside coaches should be brought in at club level too, the incestuous nature of Dublin hurling is working against it, there are exceptions at club level but not enough. But they could start at least with Minor which is were it all starts to go pear shaped.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 23/10/2016 21:31:08    1928500

Link

I dont buy in to the 'lack of skill' in any particular place. There are skillful players everywhere. Clare were often regarded as being short in the skills department but with the right management and self belief the skills can be harnessed. If there are enough numbers playing the game then eventually the right group will come together. Keep up the good work and be patient. Dublin hurling is still in its infancy.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 23/10/2016 22:10:40    1928509

Link

It's illogical to say that your 'natural' hurling ability depends on where you are born. In Dublin, like in all counties, young lads are outside on the road, from morning til night, playing 5 a side or knocking a ball off a wall down some lane. But you can be sure that 90% of the time that ball is a big ball. But when I was in Kilkenny city, on the outskirts, I observed these tiny lads, skin heads and all, and what ball were they playing with, well I had forgot my specs but they had sticks in their hands.
You develop your first touch and general wrist action in these small spaces, in these little games. You eat and sleep it, it's a passion and a religion. Obviously this would apply in the other successful hurling counties.
Dublin will never become a power, unless we get sick of winning football All Irelands (fat chance) and our desire turns to the small ball, and I wouldn't hold my breath.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 23/10/2016 23:29:28    1928520

Link