National Forum

CPA

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=262211

Any thoughts on this?

County management / county boards have left club players with little choice really.

Joe_Bloggs (Tipperary) - Posts: 186 - 18/10/2016 15:26:06    1927289

Link

Replying To Joe_Bloggs:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=262211

Any thoughts on this?

County management / county boards have left club players with little choice really."
Hope it proves to be successful and I wish them the very best

But they have a very difficult path in front of them

It took years for the GAA to officially recognise the GPA and they had major sponsors attached and at it's peak 2000+ household name members behind them

For the CPA to work they need to be well funded, well organised and have some heavy hitters as their front men

They need the backing of the grass roots and with that behind them, they'll need to throw their weight around to force change.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/10/2016 15:46:39    1927298

Link

About time too, for too long county boards have been dictated to by the county managers, who for reasons unknown run roughshod over the 90+% of gaelic games players who because of the lack of thought only for the success of a county team have now seemingly more say over ccc fixtures than those charged with trying to accommadate the clubs into some sort of a manageable season. Look at the farce of the Tyrone senior football final replay. Having seen the weekend forecast should an alternative venue not have been on standby with the 2 grounds now being on standby in case fri night is a no go. What sort of message does this send out to lads who probably will have to take time of work to play in the biggest club day of the year under bloody lights yet the next day is available if healy park is not playable on fri night. Why not just play it on Saturday? These are the things that any cpa needs looking at. All players want is to be treated fairly and be able to plan a life. Is that too much to ask or hope for in 2016/17

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 18/10/2016 15:58:10    1927309

Link

Replying To Joe_Bloggs:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=262211

Any thoughts on this?

County management / county boards have left club players with little choice really."
It was inevitable really. There is no easy solution in sight either.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9128 - 18/10/2016 15:58:34    1927310

Link

Replying To bulmccabe:  "About time too, for too long county boards have been dictated to by the county managers, who for reasons unknown run roughshod over the 90+% of gaelic games players who because of the lack of thought only for the success of a county team have now seemingly more say over ccc fixtures than those charged with trying to accommadate the clubs into some sort of a manageable season. Look at the farce of the Tyrone senior football final replay. Having seen the weekend forecast should an alternative venue not have been on standby with the 2 grounds now being on standby in case fri night is a no go. What sort of message does this send out to lads who probably will have to take time of work to play in the biggest club day of the year under bloody lights yet the next day is available if healy park is not playable on fri night. Why not just play it on Saturday? These are the things that any cpa needs looking at. All players want is to be treated fairly and be able to plan a life. Is that too much to ask or hope for in 2016/17"
Completely agree. In Donegal we had the ridiculous situation where the intermediate final was a draw forcing a replay. Now the county board knew weeks in advance when the Ulster fixture was scheduled. But looking in, it seems as though they just chanced it, hoping that there'd be a winner on the first day. Of course it panned out that a replay was needed and Burt ended up playing Bredagh from Down the day after. The Ulster council wouldn't allow a reschedule. Yet, on the very SAME weekend, two county final replays were postponed due to the bad weather. Now I appreciate that they are two different circumstances but for the love of sweet baby Jesus, where was the COP ON and player welfare consideration in all this?!? Nowhere to be found! It's exactly this type of bullshit that I hope the CPA can resolve.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9128 - 18/10/2016 16:31:15    1927328

Link

Replying To bulmccabe:  "About time too, for too long county boards have been dictated to by the county managers, who for reasons unknown run roughshod over the 90+% of gaelic games players who because of the lack of thought only for the success of a county team have now seemingly more say over ccc fixtures than those charged with trying to accommadate the clubs into some sort of a manageable season. Look at the farce of the Tyrone senior football final replay. Having seen the weekend forecast should an alternative venue not have been on standby with the 2 grounds now being on standby in case fri night is a no go. What sort of message does this send out to lads who probably will have to take time of work to play in the biggest club day of the year under bloody lights yet the next day is available if healy park is not playable on fri night. Why not just play it on Saturday? These are the things that any cpa needs looking at. All players want is to be treated fairly and be able to plan a life. Is that too much to ask or hope for in 2016/17"
If the match goes to the Saturday, the winners will have to be out in the first round of the Ulster championship the following weekend. Wont be much time for celebrating for the winning team.

County boards need to take the power away from county management and honour the 13 day rule. I really think its that simple.

Joe_Bloggs (Tipperary) - Posts: 186 - 18/10/2016 16:36:23    1927330

Link

Tell you what. I'll be signing up.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4211 - 18/10/2016 16:40:02    1927333

Link

It's a total disregard for the players, club members and spectators, who should be able to play and watch a county final in natural daylight. It's the same the country over with players twiddling their fingers and feet in perfect { for Ireland anyhow } weather and longer days. Provincial games are fixed from the beginning of the year so this cramming finals in in the last weeks of September and early October is ridiculous. Would a club player strike be an option till somebody does something about these ridiculous fixtures lists. Until the club players have their say and start standing up to county boards, provincial councils and Croke Park then it will never get any better. Sometimes I wonder if club delegates and clubs ever ask players what they think of decisions etc made by county boards or do most go for the craic or maybe a chance to sit on a committee which would guarantee them a ticket or 2 come the big games. Any how good luck with it and no doubt you'll have plenty of uptake for members. Maybe in 2018 we'll see proper fixture schedules that are adhered to across the country where players and families can at least make plans for holidays, weddings, stag/hens, breaks etc and know they won't have to make hard choices to choose between playing and living.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 18/10/2016 19:43:50    1927389

Link

Looks like we will be having a strike in a few years lads!

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 18/10/2016 20:15:27    1927392

Link

You make fair points in relation to the replay of the Tyrone senior final . However O would be absolutely certain that Mickey Hette had no hand irvoart in any of the decisions that were made .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 6031 - 18/10/2016 20:45:53    1927398

Link

Wish the CPA the best of luck. They have a long hard road ahead of them. Would love to see them make progress and provide a voice for club players.

The simple fact here is that the club scene is no longer seen as a revenue stream for HQ. Well not in contrast to the behemoth that is income from IC games. Why would recent talk of more games in back door or 1/4 stage make any sense other than more revenue.

It's time players and their clubs got a bit of respect back. This feeling is festering under the surface for a good while. The response to the initial feelers sent out showed that all that was needed was a bit of leadership and a voice from a few lads with a bit of vision

A fixed and condensed season for club players is not alot to expect. Less training and more playing to put it simply. Like what is offered in soccer and rugby for example. They are not perfect I know but in relation to GAA they are alot closer to perfect

I realise that the fledging CPA has a mountain to climb but with the genuine support of the clubs things could move along alot quicker

Weary (None) - Posts: 249 - 18/10/2016 21:08:10    1927401

Link

Replying To Greengrass:  "You make fair points in relation to the replay of the Tyrone senior final . However O would be absolutely certain that Mickey Hette had no hand irvoart in any of the decisions that were made ."
Not regarding the final or the replay , but I know for fact that he has been the biggest abuser of the 13 day rule and county management committees bent over backwards to facilitate him to the detriment of clubs and their players. Funny how it is always 1 week or 2 att the most that Tyrone senior club winners get for preparation for provincial glory. Even that comp is an affront to club who are squeezed stupid to get county comps played, then out for a provincial game, wait a month or so and then if lucky get playing in a final in feb or st patricks day the following year, 6 months after the provincial comp start, where's the logic of that?. Time for the powers to start thinking of clubs and start compacting county league/ champ competitions and also provincial series. Far too much time between games for teams that are supposed to be the best of the best and fittest of all, less time on super fit players and start getting the basics right which some of these elite seem to lack. Scoring from distance, high fielding, kick passing, proper tackling etc.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 18/10/2016 21:44:52    1927408

Link

Replying To bulmccabe:  "It's a total disregard for the players, club members and spectators, who should be able to play and watch a county final in natural daylight. It's the same the country over with players twiddling their fingers and feet in perfect { for Ireland anyhow } weather and longer days. Provincial games are fixed from the beginning of the year so this cramming finals in in the last weeks of September and early October is ridiculous. Would a club player strike be an option till somebody does something about these ridiculous fixtures lists. Until the club players have their say and start standing up to county boards, provincial councils and Croke Park then it will never get any better. Sometimes I wonder if club delegates and clubs ever ask players what they think of decisions etc made by county boards or do most go for the craic or maybe a chance to sit on a committee which would guarantee them a ticket or 2 come the big games. Any how good luck with it and no doubt you'll have plenty of uptake for members. Maybe in 2018 we'll see proper fixture schedules that are adhered to across the country where players and families can at least make plans for holidays, weddings, stag/hens, breaks etc and know they won't have to make hard choices to choose between playing and living."
You are passionate BullMcCabe!

I can't argue with you though. I agree 100% with you.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 18/10/2016 22:03:57    1927410

Link

I've been saying it for years on here around this issue

The clubs are the ones with the real power

But it would take a coordinated effort to force change

Once you have the majority of club peoples support then the GAA have no chance, it's time for change and I for one am 100% behind the CPA

It will need some intelligent men/women at the top and some good front of house faces/ maybe former IC players to add some weight, they then need to have a direct set of goals from the off set. A unified mission statement, and then it's about working hard to achieve those goals. Funding will be a big part, they need to attract an independent sponsor/sponsors and become self funded

Then it's time to swell the numbers signing up to the CPA and encourage members to become proactive within their own clubs to organise and deliver on it's set of goals.

This could really be a positive thing, there will be bumps on the road, and the CPA may need to throw their weight around

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 19/10/2016 09:47:50    1927455

Link

the club player is finally fighting back.i am on board.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 19/10/2016 10:04:14    1927465

Link

Fair play to them. I played senior with the club for over a decade, lucky enough to have seen some great days, but the club scene has been a joke for a long time.

I really hope this goes well. They may need to go to war so to speak with the County Boards, Provincial Councils even with their own club delegates but if club players can stay fairly united in purpose then they are completely unstoppable.

For example theoretically if all club players were to announce today that they would cease activities from the 1st of January next then all the 'red tape' would be blown away and a solution would be found within the next 2 months.

I think this could escalate quickly as that may be the only way that a movement will succeed. An movement must stay absolutely outside the GAA and be radical in its aims. Do not accept that these things take time, force the County Boards, Prov Councils into quick radical action.

Club players have wasted far too much time already. There isn't another second to lose in my opinion. If I were in charge I'd call for a complete cessation in all club activities from January 1st unless a shortening of the county season and fixed club fixtures are brought in by December 31st. Lean on the GPA to announce that they will support the cessation. If that were to happen then the problem would be sorted out.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13706 - 19/10/2016 10:33:57    1927479

Link

Agree - good to see Club players fighting back, the situation has become untenable as it is. The solution is complex however and will not be easily solved..I think there may have to be a complete separation between inter county and club season in order to address this, maybe play club league games while inter county is going on...certainly the inter county season is too long - should be about 15-20 weeks with regular games every week or two weeks - that will need the competition structures to be completly rethought - it also brings up the question of when you play it? Playing it too early and its clashing with soccer finals, Euros etc. - Can't play it too late as it'll wont leave time for Club - at least the spotlight is now being shone on club players and they are getting a say, something that they have never had before.

73forever (Limerick) - Posts: 89 - 19/10/2016 11:13:34    1927494

Link

I was listening to Game On last night and it got me thinking - this was 18 senior club finals played last Sunday.
When you think about it, just taking senior, intermediate and junior A in hurling and football in 32 counties - thats roughly 192 county finals around the country to be played in October (I'm open to correction on the figure as I no some counties might not have 3 grades in both codes) and then another 24 provincial finals to be played the end of November / December. These have all to be played in October / November & December because of two finals having to be played in September. Its madness.

Joe_Bloggs (Tipperary) - Posts: 186 - 19/10/2016 12:24:27    1927532

Link

I think this will be appositive move as the club players are treated very poorly. For me the main issue is that the GAA have no overall fixtures calendar that takes into account club football. Even the move to bring the All-Ireland football final forward by a coupe of weeks didn't pass congress - utter madness. The county season need to be condensed to allow more time for club football. Even shortening it by a month would make a huge difference.

But its not all the fault of the county managers. Last year in Donegal there were league play-off games the week before Christmas, even though Donegal were out of the championship at the start of August. We were still playing club games 4 months later. I think if there was a proper fixtures calendar then the county managers would have to stick to it.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1874 - 19/10/2016 13:23:53    1927565

Link

A long overdue fight back by the clubs. The life blood of the organisation, the major source of revenue (be it TV license, gate receipts, selling and buying tickets, etc), about time they decided enough was enough.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 19/10/2016 13:30:27    1927571

Link