National Forum

Should GAA intercounty teams persue AFL players

(Oldest Posts First)

Now here me out. Not every AFL players makes it to the big leagues and away to improve the smaller counties should those counties be allowed to scout AFL talent.

I know what you're probably thinking, they wouldn't come up to play an ametuer game but if county boards and the GPA can find these players jobs they might be persuaded by the idea of playing a sport at the highest level.

I know it's a little out there but what do you guys think.

SlasherMcGurk (Sligo) - Posts: 3 - 15/10/2016 18:15:02    1926492

Link

Replying To SlasherMcGurk:  "Now here me out. Not every AFL players makes it to the big leagues and away to improve the smaller counties should those counties be allowed to scout AFL talent.

I know what you're probably thinking, they wouldn't come up to play an ametuer game but if county boards and the GPA can find these players jobs they might be persuaded by the idea of playing a sport at the highest level.

I know it's a little out there but what do you guys think."
What are you smoking, we should look after our own players first

rebelfan (Cork) - Posts: 70 - 15/10/2016 18:58:31    1926501

Link

Michael dufficy was part of the Roscommon panel for a few months last year. Played few vfl games in Australia I think the reserve league over there. He was Australian born and raised and has a Roscommon father hence the reason he came over here to try geal if football for a year. Was athletic but his basic skills wernt the best.

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 15/10/2016 20:03:41    1926520

Link

call me old fashioned but I prefer the ol traditional greyhounds chasing rabbits approach

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 15/10/2016 20:31:12    1926528

Link

Replying To SlasherMcGurk:  "Now here me out. Not every AFL players makes it to the big leagues and away to improve the smaller counties should those counties be allowed to scout AFL talent.

Awfull idea how could anyone be convinced to leave a professional game played in sunshine to live and play a amateur sport that's usually played in miserable wet cold weather, if there not good enough to make it as a professional then why would any county want them here, Australia can keep there flops

Kingoreilly (Kildare) - Posts: 77 - 16/10/2016 20:55:16    1926728

Link

if county boards and the GPA can find these players jobs they might be persuaded by the idea of playing a sport at the highest level.

So you're suggesting they go from playing a sport at a professional level to working a standard full time job so they can play a sport at an amateur level??! This has to be a wind up?

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 17/10/2016 09:40:50    1926804

Link

We could woo them with the promise of club football in the depths of winter.

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 17/10/2016 10:29:38    1926835

Link

Sure if you don't ask.......

RoyalBadger (Meath) - Posts: 571 - 17/10/2016 10:41:57    1926840

Link

Going by some of the noise coming out of Kerry

T Kennelly is looking to sign up a number of their most promising young talents

I'd day the Kerry lads must be a big fan of T Kennelly...

But you cant blame these young lads for signing up

A life in Australia at that age is a massive draw

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/10/2016 10:56:22    1926848

Link

Replacing a 22-match season with the GAA flagship competition that guarantees only two matches has got to be great draw.

omahant (USA) - Posts: 2583 - 18/10/2016 22:17:31    1927411

Link

how about they look after the club players who are{ supposedly }the back bone of the association and where all county players originate. There is plenty of lads at home who aren't working and would love to have a job. Bringing in more migrants for these so called jobs would be like big employers just bringing in agency workers without ever advertising for indigenous folk. Don't want to be too abrupt to your idea but it is bloody ridiculous.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 19/10/2016 05:03:15    1927440

Link

Replying To Superglue:  "We could woo them with the promise of club football in the depths of winter."
Just don't tell them a but the 4 games in ten days etc.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2897 - 19/10/2016 09:52:46    1927460

Link

I can just see it now -
-'Oi Bruce fancy coming to Ireland to play gaelic footy for Carlow'
- Bruce 'Great, not getting in the team here and me granny was Irish'
- 'That's great, so we'll get you a job on the building sites'
-'What, It's not fulltime?'
-'No, its for the love of the county and Club'
-'I'll play with 2 teams, how long is the season?'
-'You start training in November and your last game with the club will be October or March if we go really well'
-'Gee, that's a long season, how many games do you blokes play ?'
-'Well, you'll play 7 League games but they don't count and 2 championship games and 3 or 4 games with the club, all in 2 weeks, so what do you say?'
-'Ah no you're alright, I'm happy enough here, thanks'

73forever (Limerick) - Posts: 89 - 19/10/2016 10:08:03    1927468

Link

The stupidest thing about this suggestion (which is saying something) is that 95% of AFL players wouldn't be any good at GAA. You can't just start a sport at 18 and expect to reach an elite level.

Most GAA players fail in AFL and they are training full time which wouldn't be the case with this brainwave.

realman2 (Kildare) - Posts: 464 - 19/10/2016 10:23:30    1927473

Link