National Forum

Defibrillators should be made compulsory for every club ground

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

After reading yet another story of a player collapsing during a game I think its time the GAA stepped in and made it compulsory for every club ground to have a defibrillator available. Maybe any referee who is officiating at a game should have to ensure one is available before any game begins. Its now the case where every player has to wear a gum shield and recieves a yellow card for not having one so surely the consequences of death is greater then losing a few teeth. Thankfully in this latest case the player involves is reported to be making good progress and I wish her all the very best but it highlights the importance of a defibrillator. I also believe GAA should fund towards this and every club has a panel of people trained and at least one in attendance at any game played in their ground.

Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts: 90 - 11/10/2016 22:01:20    1925173

Link

Totally agree

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 11/10/2016 22:54:15    1925193

Link

Correct

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 12/10/2016 01:23:54    1925214

Link

Very good idea. I know my own club have a de-fib on-site at all times and a large number of people trained to use it. However to take it further would it be an idea to have all referees and/or managers trained in how to use it / basic first aid and could add it to the foundation coaches course.

mhaith_fear (Donegal) - Posts: 75 - 12/10/2016 09:13:19    1925236

Link

Every club should have a defib and a certain number of club / community members trained in its use. Clubs should fundraise for it. No need for GAA HQ to grant money for it. As the GAA club is the centre of alot of communities in Ireland no better place to have it located. Members of the community should have no problem donating towards this worthy cause as the defib will serve the whole community.

Weary (None) - Posts: 249 - 12/10/2016 15:29:07    1925405

Link

Defibrillators should be made compulsory for every club ground
After reading yet another story of a player collapsing during a game I think its time the GAA stepped in and made it compulsory for every club ground to have a defibrillator available. Maybe any referee who is officiating at a game should have to ensure one is available before any game begins. Its now the case where every player has to wear a gum shield and recieves a yellow card for not having one so surely the consequences of death is greater then losing a few teeth. Thankfully in this latest case the player involves is reported to be making good progress and I wish her all the very best but it highlights the importance of a defibrillator. I also believe GAA should fund towards this and every club has a panel of people trained and at least one in attendance at any game played in their ground.
Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts:71 - 11/10/2016 22:01:20
I don't think it should be on referees having to ensure one is at the ground before any game begins as that should be the duty of the competition organisers/home club who should have one easily available to the location of the pitch.

Very good idea. I know my own club have a de-fib on-site at all times and a large number of people trained to use it. However to take it further would it be an idea to have all referees and/or managers trained in how to use it / basic first aid and could add it to the foundation coaches course.
mhaith_fear (Donegal) - Posts:61 - 12/10/2016 09:13:19
I wouldn't have it that all refs are trained in first aid but that all teams should have a qualified first aider in their coaching team

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 12/10/2016 15:30:23    1925406

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Defibrillators should be made compulsory for every club ground
I don't think it should be on referees having to ensure one is at the ground before any game begins as that should be the duty of the competition organisers/home club who should have one easily available to the location of the pitch.

I wouldn't have it that all refs are trained in first aid but that all teams should have a qualified first aider in their coaching team"
Why not have all refs trained?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 12/10/2016 17:00:40    1925441

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Defibrillators should be made compulsory for every club ground

I wouldn't have it that all refs are trained in first aid but that all teams should have a qualified first aider in their coaching team"
I suggested the referee to be the one to ensure one is available as he is the one in authority and can hold up the game if one is not there. I don't mean he is the one to bring it to the ground but he should maybe enquire with a club official and see one is available.

Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts: 90 - 12/10/2016 18:24:00    1925468

Link

Why not have all refs trained?
gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:3602 - 12/10/2016 17:00:40
Because it should be club coaches in particular the home club. and someone who is at all these games more than the referee.

I suggested the referee to be the one to ensure one is available as he is the one in authority and can hold up the game if one is not there. I don't mean he is the one to bring it to the ground but he should maybe enquire with a club official and see one is available.
Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts:74 - 12/10/2016 18:24:00
Defibs tell you if you are using them when to continue CPR, it will not activate and deliver a shock unless all the right conditions are detected by the unit. Instructions are clear and pictorial so in theory anybody should be able to open, apply pads and use should the need arise. I don't think the referee should have to ensure there is one available as that is the responsibility of the home team.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 12/10/2016 22:39:50    1925559

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Why not have all refs trained?
Because it should be club coaches in particular the home club. and someone who is at all these games more than the referee.

Defibs tell you if you are using them when to continue CPR, it will not activate and deliver a shock unless all the right conditions are detected by the unit. Instructions are clear and pictorial so in theory anybody should be able to open, apply pads and use should the need arise. I don't think the referee should have to ensure there is one available as that is the responsibility of the home team."
Yes, I am trained to use one so I am aware of how they operate.

Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts: 90 - 12/10/2016 23:18:54    1925569

Link

Ormond of course referees should be fully trained in first aid and also how to use a defib. After all they are the only ones who are guaranteed to be at a match. No point having coaches, players or club members trained and they are away on hols, working etc when a match is played. The ref is the only one who is guaranteed to be there and if he/she isn't then no match is played anyway so no harm done.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 13/10/2016 07:21:17    1925580

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Why not have all refs trained?

Defibs tell you if you are using them when to continue CPR, it will not activate and deliver a shock unless all the right conditions are detected by the unit. Instructions are clear and pictorial so in theory anybody should be able to open, apply pads and use should the need arise. I don't think the referee should have to ensure there is one available as that is the responsibility of the home team."
Is there not a referee at every game? Surely if all referees were trained in how to use one there would be someone on the pitch who could use one?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 14/10/2016 15:32:14    1926282

Link

Ormond of course referees should be fully trained in first aid and also how to use a defib. After all they are the only ones who are guaranteed to be at a match. No point having coaches, players or club members trained and they are away on hols, working etc when a match is played. The ref is the only one who is guaranteed to be there and if he/she isn't then no match is played anyway so no harm done.
mike03 (Limerick) - Posts:1674 - 13/10/2016 07:21:17 
Referees shouldn't have to be fully trained in first aid. Player safety on the pitch is their responsibility within the rules of the game but beyond that its not their responsibility. I ref games and if there is an injury I get out of the way of the coaches/first aiders involved with each team as its not my responsibility.

Is there not a referee at every game? Surely if all referees were trained in how to use one there would be someone on the pitch who could use one?
gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:3611 - 14/10/2016 15:32:14 
I don't think every referee should have to be trained in cpr/first aid. That shouldn't have to be their responsibility. If they have a qualification and want to help if a situation arises where they could help and they are asked then ok. But all referees shouldn't have to get this first aid qualification.
It is not a referees responsibility to carry out first aid if there is an incident on the field
Its the clubs and competition organising committees responsibilities that there is adequate first aid cover at any game

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 14/10/2016 15:54:22    1926290

Link

Yes every club in Ireland should have these and trained people in their uses. But do consider too that a lot of pitches in Dublin (as an example I am sure other urban centres are the same) are Council pitches in public parks. They are not hugely expensive and probably priceless if they save even one life.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 14/10/2016 20:30:04    1926349

Link

This should have been brought in ages ago. Every ground should have one and ridiculous that they don't. Every effort should be made to save a player who collapses during a game and not having these in grounds is giving them no chance of surviving

pkboher (Cork) - Posts: 49 - 14/10/2016 21:03:29    1926355

Link

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Ormond of course referees should be fully trained in first aid and also how to use a defib. After all they are the only ones who are guaranteed to be at a match. No point having coaches, players or club members trained and they are away on hols, working etc when a match is played. The ref is the only one who is guaranteed to be there and if he/she isn't then no match is played anyway so no harm done.
mike03 (Limerick) - Posts:1674 - 13/10/2016 07:21:17 
Referees shouldn't have to be fully trained in first aid. Player safety on the pitch is their responsibility within the rules of the game but beyond that its not their responsibility. I ref games and if there is an injury I get out of the way of the coaches/first aiders involved with each team as its not my responsibility.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:3611 - 14/10/2016 15:32:14 
I don't think every referee should have to be trained in cpr/first aid. That shouldn't have to be their responsibility. If they have a qualification and want to help if a situation arises where they could help and they are asked then ok. But all referees shouldn't have to get this first aid qualification.
It is not a referees responsibility to carry out first aid if there is an incident on the field
Its the clubs and competition organising committees responsibilities that there is adequate first aid cover at any game"
I really don't understand why you would be opposed to the referees being trained? Surely the refs are appointed by the organisation, yet you say the onus is on the organisation to ensure that there is someone who is trained in first aid. Why not the refs?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 15/10/2016 21:24:48    1926543

Link

Great idea in principle but I doubt if even one life would be saved by such a proposal and it would cost an absolute fortune for clubs for the installation and maintenance. Would also lead to probable litigation for clubs if it was compulsary as what would happen if the de-fib had a flat battery or the key-holder for the de-fib was not easily located etc, etc. Who would be held liable (even if no absolute proof that a De-Fib machine would have made any difference)

Better that all club members are fully trained in CPR and can contact emergency ambulance technicians swiftly.

dingle2 (Kerry) - Posts: 278 - 16/10/2016 02:25:22    1926570

Link

Replying To dingle2:  "Great idea in principle but I doubt if even one life would be saved by such a proposal and it would cost an absolute fortune for clubs for the installation and maintenance. Would also lead to probable litigation for clubs if it was compulsary as what would happen if the de-fib had a flat battery or the key-holder for the de-fib was not easily located etc, etc. Who would be held liable (even if no absolute proof that a De-Fib machine would have made any difference)

Better that all club members are fully trained in CPR and can contact emergency ambulance technicians swiftly."
A de-fib costs in the region of €1500, hardly an absolute fortune. How much did GAA make from an unexpected AI final replay? And ensuring its charged is not a big deal. I know from the one located at my own club, it makes a continuous beeping noise to signal the battery needs replacing. Its just my opinion but I know if an incident occurred on my local pitch id be happier knowing it was available.

Douglas_Hyde (Roscommon) - Posts: 90 - 16/10/2016 10:12:51    1926575

Link

Yes every club in Ireland should have these and trained people in their uses. But do consider too that a lot of pitches in Dublin (as an example I am sure other urban centres are the same) are Council pitches in public parks. They are not hugely expensive and probably priceless if they save even one life.
arock (Dublin) - Posts:3128 - 14/10/2016 20:30:04
Yes urban centres especially the bigger urban areas will have public pitches in public parks and may not have them but hard to do it for all.

I really don't understand why you would be opposed to the referees being trained? Surely the refs are appointed by the organisation, yet you say the onus is on the organisation to ensure that there is someone who is trained in first aid. Why not the refs?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:3614 - 15/10/2016 21:24:48
Because it should be the responsibility of the club where the game is played. The onus is on the organisation running the game and the referee has other duties and should step away from the situation and the first aider comes in then. There are all sorts of insurance and liability issues involved
There are also liability issues with doctors, nurses, etc acting at clubs when spectators etc, unless they take out additional professional liability cover as part of a paid service to the club.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 16/10/2016 19:20:34    1926696

Link

Good post in theory, no way is it practical though, clubs have enough difficulty trying to organise everything else around a match and it would be impossible to organise to have someone qualified to use one at every single club match, as a referee myself i think that suggestions surrounding refs being one to operate it at a match is far too onerous a responsibility, refs would stop refereeing if such an idea became compulsory, it's all well and good making the suggestion but not sure is it fair to burden certain people with an enormous responsibility, certainly huge legal and conscience issues were it not to go work or a fatality to arise.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 16/10/2016 19:39:31    1926698

Link