National Forum

Is there bad blood between Dub and Mayo?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Are the players and supporters of Dublin and Mayo actually developing a very bitter attitude towards one another ?

I have to say that Dublin's rivals certainly in the last 4 years of so, seem to be Mayo.

We've beaten Kerry each and every time we've played them, Mayo on the other hand seem to have our number. They've taken us to a replay the past two years now.

With all the shinanigans from the Keegan/Connolly crap that happened last year and is spilling out again this year, Paired with the fact the two teams are very close in terms of ability (results speak for themselves too), The ticket situation, The taking over of the hill, The tunnel incident etc...

Is there actually bad blood there ?

Judging by the various Mayo and Dublin facebook and twitter pages, there is certainly no love lost, A lot of personal stuff being posted in the comments between Dublin and Mayo "supporters" ..

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 29/09/2016 11:01:21    1920421

Link

Wayno I wouldn't think there is bad blood between the players at large. Many would be friends away from football. When the ball is thrown however it's war. I listened to David Brady and Sean Boylan (who is a gentleman by the way) on Newtalk and there seems to be a healthy respect between the two teams despite what the fans think.

I will say those Facebook fan pages are a disgrace (on both sides). They full of fools trying to stoke the flames and then you have idiots commenting many of whom wouldn't find the gates of their local club or know when the teams are playing league.

Now Wayno I just hope Mayo can beat ye in at least one final so when when Lee and Diarmuid are meeting up for a pint in 20 years time that is it a case they both have All Ireland medals. It ain't a rivilery unless you can beat your rival and we have fallen down in that department with the dubs the last few times we have met.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 29/09/2016 11:25:32    1920430

Link

Depends on what level you're taking about, I guess. There's certainly hostility between the players, and there is certainly rivers of bad blood on social media (though that's pretty common on any topic discussed on social media, which very often becomes anti-social media!). Personally speaking I have never really had a bad experience with Dublin fans in the flesh, but then again, I'm surrounded by them, so have to find way to get along :)

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 29/09/2016 11:32:04    1920434

Link

Looking from the outside in, I don't think there is.

The Dublin and Mayo players and management have conducted themselves well since the first game and the fans, in general, seem to get on just fine. There's plenty said on here (as there is between most counties) but I would bet that if you put both sets of posters in the same room, you'd fine they'd get on very well and there'd be a level of respect there.

I'm not sure if there's an agenda behind some of what has been written in the aftermath of the game (aside from the ever-present agenda of selling papers at all costs) but I don't think any of the ex-Dublin players who have spoken or written about Lee Keegan, if asked honestly, would deny that Dublin players are up to the same behaviour.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5010 - 29/09/2016 11:38:20    1920436

Link

No. I think both teams respect each other, perhaps a little grudgingly, and there's no history of animosity between the fans. There's plenty of fools from both sides on social media who like stirring the sh1t though. Ignore them.

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 29/09/2016 12:13:27    1920452

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "Looking from the outside in, I don't think there is.

The Dublin and Mayo players and management have conducted themselves well since the first game and the fans, in general, seem to get on just fine. There's plenty said on here (as there is between most counties) but I would bet that if you put both sets of posters in the same room, you'd fine they'd get on very well and there'd be a level of respect there.

I'm not sure if there's an agenda behind some of what has been written in the aftermath of the game (aside from the ever-present agenda of selling papers at all costs) but I don't think any of the ex-Dublin players who have spoken or written about Lee Keegan, if asked honestly, would deny that Dublin players are up to the same behaviour."
Cavanman, the gas thing is.....the Mayo lads giving out about Dublin lads using the media to get their views across........all the while John Casey, David Brady, James Horan and now Mickey C (http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=261482) are doing the exact same thing!!!!
Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan
poor us poor us poor Lee, God help him the poor ol misfortune......Sure didnt you hear Jim Gavin has bought all Irish media outlets and is controlling what is said and written from Parnell Park.......

The closer we get to this game the more I cant bloody wait to beat them.....again

(once again i write this with a nod of apology to yewtree, flaker and jamesh!)

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 29/09/2016 12:15:51    1920455

Link

Dublin people want to win, Mayo people want to win. There's only one prize on offer and you can't share. It's just rivalry. Enjoy it, the true fans know that both teams are pushing the other on to be the very best. Unfortunately you'll always get a few idiot fans.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 29/09/2016 12:33:10    1920460

Link

Alot has happened between the two teams

Hill-gate in 06.
2012 them beating us and the so called time wasting tactics which *some* Dublin fans are still annoyedabout
The 2013 AI final
The 2015 semi final first game and all the carry on the first game
Connollys red card and Keegans role in that
Connolly appealing and winning it at the 11th hour
Dublin winning the replay
This year's tunnel-gate
and all the talking in the media from both sides..

Seems at times there is no respect and more of a hate or strong dislike of mayo if your a dub, or the dubs if youre from mayo.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 29/09/2016 13:02:26    1920475

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Alot has happened between the two teams

Hill-gate in 06.
2012 them beating us and the so called time wasting tactics which *some* Dublin fans are still annoyedabout
The 2013 AI final
The 2015 semi final first game and all the carry on the first game
Connollys red card and Keegans role in that
Connolly appealing and winning it at the 11th hour
Dublin winning the replay
This year's tunnel-gate
and all the talking in the media from both sides..

Seems at times there is no respect and more of a hate or strong dislike of mayo if your a dub, or the dubs if youre from mayo."
And the fact that Mayo want to "take-over" the hill and will likely outnumber us..

A lot of Dublin fans struggling to get their hands on tickets are very annoyed that all the ticket allocations in non-competing counties seem to be going west.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 29/09/2016 13:11:49    1920477

Link

There shouldn't be but there is. Some might say it's only a game but there is such 'history' between these two teams that a certain
bitterness has tainted relationships. The banter between respective sets of fans has a little more bite than you'd normally expect and at times it has threatened to spill over into open antagonism. I've heard of several rows on Hill 16 during the first game.

There are other issues at play such as the perception that Dublin receive preferential treatment from the GAA while poor Mayo have been starved of success since 1951. I think some Mayo fans see Dublin as somehow blocking them from fulfilling their destiny. There has also been a battle for the hearts and minds of refs and officials in the media and that has heightened tensions. The normal 'city v country' divide is very much in evidence too. Enda's Braveheart address was generally greeted with scorn in Dublin
So yes, there is lots of bad feeling. Hopefully it will all subside after Sunday......only to re-emerge during the next Championship...

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1974 - 29/09/2016 13:12:52    1920478

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Cavanman, the gas thing is.....the Mayo lads giving out about Dublin lads using the media to get their views across........all the while John Casey, David Brady, James Horan and now Mickey C (http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=261482) are doing the exact same thing!!!!
Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan
poor us poor us poor Lee, God help him the poor ol misfortune......Sure didnt you hear Jim Gavin has bought all Irish media outlets and is controlling what is said and written from Parnell Park.......

The closer we get to this game the more I cant bloody wait to beat them.....again

(once again i write this with a nod of apology to yewtree, flaker and jamesh!)"
yeah, but by the same token, I think if they were asked honestly, they'd openly admit that Keegan crosses the line.

If Deegan lets this sh**e get to him, he'll have 5 men sent off in the first 10 mins. Thankfully he won't, he's around far too long for that.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5010 - 29/09/2016 13:15:34    1920479

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Are the players and supporters of Dublin and Mayo actually developing a very bitter attitude towards one another ?

I have to say that Dublin's rivals certainly in the last 4 years of so, seem to be Mayo.

We've beaten Kerry each and every time we've played them, Mayo on the other hand seem to have our number. They've taken us to a replay the past two years now.

With all the shinanigans from the Keegan/Connolly crap that happened last year and is spilling out again this year, Paired with the fact the two teams are very close in terms of ability (results speak for themselves too), The ticket situation, The taking over of the hill, The tunnel incident etc...

Is there actually bad blood there ?

Judging by the various Mayo and Dublin facebook and twitter pages, there is certainly no love lost, A lot of personal stuff being posted in the comments between Dublin and Mayo "supporters" .."
Judging any topic by Facebook or Twitter (or hoganstand forum) is not a good yard stick.
I was in the hill for the drawn game and 2 and talked with 2 dubs in front of me at throughout the game. If they got a soft free they'd turn around and say "we got away with that one" and vice versa. Then we had a few pints with dub fans outside a pub in drumcondra and the craic was great.
I think what makes the rivalary seen more than it is, 2 replays in 2 years. So we'll have played 4 times in championship in 60 weeks. Dublin v Kerry might be considered rivals and they might play each other every second year these days.
The fact that it's replays means incidents are blown out of proportion in analysis before the replay. If Dublin had won the first game last year philly's "headbutt" would have been forgotten about. And this year Keegan v Connolly encounter would not be talked about if papers didn't need filler in the build up.
I'm looking forward to the craic with the dubs this weekend.

nextyear (Mayo) - Posts: 60 - 29/09/2016 13:15:46    1920480

Link

Wayno - I dunno...the online stuff is downright nasty especially those FB fan pages.
Any Dub I talked to after the draw (all be it in the pub and things were getting merry) were saying if they were not in the final they would be shouting for us but that we missed the boat again....I dunno we will see lads...we will see...

Liam - Plenty of moaning on both sides. the most amusing is the theory that Mayo fans have been given more tickets by the GAA which is not true. One poster on this site is especially vocal as is a fan site. Very scare here....club members in my house are yet to secure tickets. I know people who have gone to Waterford and Tyrone for tickets in the run up to the drawn game so my advise is stop the moaning, get up and get calling, traveling around the country as most tickets are not handed out.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 29/09/2016 13:16:54    1920481

Link

Plenty, it goes back to 06.

JackoDub (Dublin) - Posts: 458 - 29/09/2016 13:26:06    1920486

Link

The thing as many of ye have alluded to, its only online from what I can see
Any Mayo fan i have ever chatted with pre or post match is as sound as the day is long. I told ye that story before about The semi in 2012 and the family beside me in the upper cusack, once the whistle went "The Green and Red" was played and the little man and his dad with their flags giving it socks, and I was happy out for them. Not an ounce of offence given or taken that day or since in face to face meetings.

But to read on here, or on FB or twitter, youd sware we were allies V Axis the way some go on. One thing that really offends me personally is this "dirty dubs" nonsene and its ALL OVER social media, and that kinda thing really does sour relationships.

But, the long term Mayo lads here, such as the ones I have name checked, I have nothing but time and respect for and I have no doubt atall that if we ever did happen to bump into each other and had a clue who we were, the craic would be mighty

But social media lads....................tis all out war!!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 29/09/2016 13:40:15    1920495

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Cavanman, the gas thing is.....the Mayo lads giving out about Dublin lads using the media to get their views across........all the while John Casey, David Brady, James Horan and now Mickey C (http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=261482) are doing the exact same thing!!!!
Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan

(once again i write this with a nod of apology to yewtree, flaker and jamesh!)"
Ah Liam, sure why wouldn't ye beat us? Sure we were going to lost to Tipp comfortably remember. And in fairness Liam, the media rubbish started from the Dubs in the last 2 weeks. Not the players or manangements fault mind you but it isn't helpful.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 29/09/2016 13:42:22    1920497

Link

There absolutely is bad blood there. More so from the fans than the teams. But its there, I dont care what anyone says!!

ConnollyDub (Dublin) - Posts: 2007 - 29/09/2016 14:11:21    1920512

Link

I honestly believe that if you sat all of the Mayo and Dublin posters down in a room to discuss the upcoming match, the debate would be a lot more civilised than it typically is on here. The faceless nature of social media means that as soon as one WUM or another says something inflammatory, the dialogue escalates really quickly. It's happened to myself quite a few times, to be fair. People go in to battle mode online.

I honestly don't hold anything against Dublin posters for things that are said here, and most I have met after matches are generally sound. However, you do come across the odd one who has utter disdain for us and country people in general. Given Mayo's large support we too have a few yobs.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 29/09/2016 14:27:50    1920522

Link

Facebook and Twitter GAA analysis ?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 29/09/2016 14:42:24    1920526

Link

People become very brave behind a keyboard. Usually the most outspoken keyboard warrior is a coward in real life. I come met plenty of great Dublin and have the light hearted banter. You will always get the odd fool but I have seen people from many counties quieten down when their mates have set them straight. Real GAA people know the score.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 29/09/2016 14:59:06    1920536

Link