National Forum

Chanting from the fans

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just a simple trivial question here for everyone of every county

What chants or songs are/were sang in the stands/hill on match day by your county?

Dubs Com on you boys in blue....Galway girl by the Galwigians etc

I'm very curious to know all of them ,from Dublin to little Sligo.It's interesting how most counties have their own one or two that get blared out from the stands on a good day in summer.Often they aren't well known outside of their home counties.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 25/08/2016 22:34:56    1906127

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Just a simple trivial question here for everyone of every county

What chants or songs are/were sang in the stands/hill on match day by your county?

I'm very curious to know all of them ,from Dublin to little Sligo.It's interesting how most counties have their own one or two that get blared out from the stands on a good day in summer.Often they aren't well known outside of their home counties."
The hill in the 90s was different class. The songs were hilarious and plenty. A certain meath free taker from skryne had one all to himself questioning his parentage :) its totally different now. No flags no chants. I put that down to back in the 90s the dubs on the hill were real old skool GAA fans who followed the dubs for lifetimes the current Hill has more "johnnycomelatelys" who don't "get" the hill.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 25/08/2016 22:51:06    1906130

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Just a simple trivial question here for everyone of every county

I'm very curious to know all of them ,from Dublin to little Sligo.It's interesting how most counties have their own one or two that get blared out from the stands on a good day in summer.Often they aren't well known outside of their home counties."
'Hill 16 is Dublin only..."

'You're hardly gonna believe it' x3
......we're goin' to win de Sam
We're goin' to win Sam etc (usually sung under the Hill as victorious fans file out after wining a mtch.)

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1974 - 25/08/2016 23:16:40    1906134

Link

I'll let you know when it happens.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9693 - 25/08/2016 23:33:29    1906140

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "

The hill in the 90s was different class. The songs were hilarious and plenty. A certain meath free taker from skryne had one all to himself questioning his parentage :) its totally different now. No flags no chants. I put that down to back in the 90s the dubs on the hill were real old skool GAA fans who followed the dubs for lifetimes the current Hill has more "johnnycomelatelys" who don't "get" the hill."
Very true.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/08/2016 08:51:52    1906177

Link

chanting is for soccer,chanting abuse even more so.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 26/08/2016 08:56:29    1906182

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "chanting is for soccer,chanting abuse even more so."
Can understand your problem with the abuse (to an extent, if it's vitriolic, absolutely agree, if it's just a bit of fun, can't see the problem) but chanting or singing in general, what's wrong with that? Surely a noisy crowd adds to the atmosphere and spurs the players on. What do you want, the odd polite ripple of applause?

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 26/08/2016 09:57:35    1906200

Link

I'll give you a few Meath chants/songs they sing on the hill;

In Meath's fair city where the girls are so pretty I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone as she wheels her wheelbarrow tru the streets broad b narrow crying (clap) Meath Meath Meath

Ring a ring a Rosie, as the light declines
I remember Meath City in the Rare auld times

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 26/08/2016 10:14:08    1906207

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "chanting is for soccer,chanting abuse even more so."
I'm not on about abuse particularly . It's stuff that is all in good fun ,if your saying it is just for soccer you must have never been on the hill .The dubs have a lot of songs they start singing I just don't know half of them .I was at the All-Ireland hurling final last year and Kilkenny had one they were singing no idea what it was though and Galway were singing the fields of Athenry . It just adds atmosphere.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 10:21:17    1906213

Link

I've never heard Cavan fans singing or chanting, ever.

Plenty of noise as if they're kicking every ball, no lack of passion, along with Kerry the most football mad fans in the country but never singing or chanting. It's not really a GAA thing apart from a few counties who have always done it and the odd county who have tasted recent success and seen their crowds swell with an influx of sunshine fans - "farney army" comes to mind.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5009 - 26/08/2016 10:25:52    1906217

Link

Replying To MedwayIrish:  "Can understand your problem with the abuse (to an extent, if it's vitriolic, absolutely agree, if it's just a bit of fun, can't see the problem) but chanting or singing in general, what's wrong with that? Surely a noisy crowd adds to the atmosphere and spurs the players on. What do you want, the odd polite ripple of applause?"
Aye , agree. Songs are just a bit of craic. People here might give out when I say this but soccer games have a bit more banter to them then GAA ( except maybe the hill ). I'm a soccer fan but I've been to games with friends and the amount of songs premiership teams have to sing is madness. I know most counties have one or two from being to different matches but half the time I don't know what they are.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 10:28:45    1906219

Link

Replying To avonali:  "

We're goin' to win Sam etc (usually sung under the Hill as victorious fans file out after wining a mtch.)"
Yeah I think I've heard that one alright now that you mention it. Don't ye sing Molly Malone as well or is that my head playing tricks on me?

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 10:34:26    1906222

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "I've never heard Cavan fans singing or chanting, ever.

Plenty of noise as if they're kicking every ball, no lack of passion, along with Kerry the most football mad fans in the country but never singing or chanting. It's not really a GAA thing apart from a few counties who have always done it and the odd county who have tasted recent success and seen their crowds swell with an influx of sunshine fans - "farney army" comes to mind."
I'm sure Kerry have at least one or two songs they belt out on All-Ireland final day. Kilkenny have something which I was surprised at ,heard them all on the hill singing it last year. Heard Mayo singing the green and red of Mayo.

True , chants are few and far between.Think the Dubs have that one nailed more than the other counties, in a way I'm jealous of that hill atmosphere they have going.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 10:40:19    1906225

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "
Replying To avonali:  "[quote=GameOfTyrones:  "Just a simple trivial question here for everyone of every county

We're goin' to win Sam etc (usually sung under the Hill as victorious fans file out after wining a mtch.)"
Yeah I think I've heard that one alright now that you mention it. Don't ye sing Molly Malone as well or is that my head playing tricks on me?"]Yeah but Molly Malone is a song...the OP was asking about chants...I've heard 'Dublin in the rare oul times", 'Molly Malone' right enough.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1974 - 26/08/2016 10:44:39    1906228

Link

dont hear them too much anymore -bit like the flags seems to be thing of the past
Limerick -come on ye boys in green, sean south from garryowen ,
Tipperary - tipp tipp tipp slievnamon,
Cork -rebels rebels, the banks, also had chant dont you want to be want to be a rebel

both tipp and waterford fans did the icelandic huh chants and the will griggs on fire song before munster final

IS there any Gaa club songs i,e, a song you sing in dressing room when team wins - common in rugby in limerick

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 26/08/2016 11:06:45    1906248

Link

Replying To avonali:  "
Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "[quote=avonali:  "[quote=GameOfTyrones:  "Just a simple trivial question here for everyone of every county

Yeah I think I've heard that one alright now that you mention it. Don't ye sing Molly Malone as well or is that my head playing tricks on me?"]Yeah but Molly Malone is a song...the OP was asking about chants...I've heard 'Dublin in the rare oul times", 'Molly Malone' right enough."]Na I was asking about both really. Songs mainly because I know most counties don't do the whole chantting business.

Yeah Dublin has a long list of songs anyway what ever about chants

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 11:23:09    1906263

Link

TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP
LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS
UBH FAILI UBH FAILI UBH FAILI

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 26/08/2016 11:49:48    1906274

Link

The Gooch The Gooch The Gooch is on fire!!!

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 665 - 26/08/2016 11:50:53    1906275

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "dont hear them too much anymore -bit like the flags seems to be thing of the past
Limerick -come on ye boys in green, sean south from garryowen ,
Tipperary - tipp tipp tipp slievnamon,
Cork -rebels rebels, the banks, also had chant dont you want to be want to be a rebel

both tipp and waterford fans did the icelandic huh chants and the will griggs on fire song before munster final

IS there any Gaa club songs i,e, a song you sing in dressing room when team wins - common in rugby in limerick"
regularly hear limerick fans singing the fields of athenry,might be time for a geography lesson.....!

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 26/08/2016 17:13:12    1906440

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "regularly hear limerick fans singing the fields of athenry,might be time for a geography lesson.....!"
It is near enough the border but no excuses , Galway song unless it is at a national level sport,equivilant of oursleves singing the hills of Donegal or something

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 26/08/2016 17:35:48    1906447

Link