National Forum

The importance again of Division 1 football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The All-Ireland final will be an all Division 1 showdown. Unless our crowd come up with something out of this world to bring down the blue juggernaut, it'll be a repeat of the '13 final.

While Tipperary were game the last day and fully deserving of respect, their lack of any Division 1 football was very evident. Tipperary are well capable of challenging for provincial honours and appearing in more All-Ireland semi-finals. They won't achieve it hanging around in Division 3. All challengers worth their salt will be in Division 1 consistently.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7823 - 23/08/2016 18:23:57    1905016

Link

Yeah I agree.

People saying that league placings don't matter are talking rubbish .

The best teams are playing D1 football . It's as simple as that .

Lower Division sides will always cause shocks by beating division 1 and 2 teams but by and large the cream comes from D1.

Dublin , Kerry , Mayo , Tyrone and Donegal are the best sides and all will be playing in the top flight next year .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 23/08/2016 18:53:53    1905022

Link

Agree, should be a priority for all teams who hope to compete for honours in September.

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2136 - 23/08/2016 19:15:07    1905026

Link

Personally I'll never understand how you can train and put your body on the line, enter one of the 3 annual Inter county football competitions and not go for the win.

It's madness to me, a great team should be able to bring intensity in April and in September.

Most teams have a 4-6 week lay off after the league so why not give both competitions your all, baring a serious injury that's a tremendous amount of time to recover.

Maybe there'd be less 1st round championship knock outs if teams sharpened up a bit more in the league

Seansy48 (Tyrone) - Posts: 237 - 23/08/2016 19:29:55    1905034

Link

I think Armagh came up from Div two when they won Sam. They would be playing Div one the following season. But as that is 14 years ago and all finalists have been Div one teams except Donegal who came up out of Div Two in 2014.
The winners next year-- Dublin Kerry Tyrone Cavan Monaghan Donegal Mayo or Roscommon. And you could scrub a few from that.

SamOnErrigal (Donegal) - Posts: 1427 - 23/08/2016 20:51:44    1905058

Link

Replying To SamOnErrigal:  "I think Armagh came up from Div two when they won Sam. They would be playing Div one the following season. But as that is 14 years ago and all finalists have been Div one teams except Donegal who came up out of Div Two in 2014.
The winners next year-- Dublin Kerry Tyrone Cavan Monaghan Donegal Mayo or Roscommon. And you could scrub a few from that."
dublin mayo and Tyrone you can scrub the rest of them off, and in two to three years I'm predicting Dublin Kildare meath Kerry Galway and Tyrone will be the main contenders

Kingoreilly (Kildare) - Posts: 77 - 23/08/2016 21:33:38    1905075

Link

Replying To Kingoreilly:  "dublin mayo and Tyrone you can scrub the rest of them off, and in two to three years I'm predicting Dublin Kildare meath Kerry Galway and Tyrone will be the main contenders"
Hold on a second.

I've a couple of issues here.

You're writing Kerry and Donegal off very hastily.

How the hell do Kildare and Meath suddenly become challengers.

They haven't been near the top table for quite some time.

For all this talk of Kildares great underage structures, you don't really win much. One under 21 All Ireland final in 2008, you haven't been in a minor final for years.

Cavan, Roscommon, Tipp are all further down the road than either of those 2.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 23/08/2016 21:57:05    1905088

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "The All-Ireland final will be an all Division 1 showdown. Unless our crowd come up with something out of this world to bring down the blue juggernaut, it'll be a repeat of the '13 final.

While Tipperary were game the last day and fully deserving of respect, their lack of any Division 1 football was very evident. Tipperary are well capable of challenging for provincial honours and appearing in more All-Ireland semi-finals. They won't achieve it hanging around in Division 3. All challengers worth their salt will be in Division 1 consistently."
I agree playing division 1 is a huge benefit.

I'd love the league to take on more precedence.

I'd also love there to be more teams playing division 1.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 23/08/2016 22:03:33    1905090

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "Hold on a second.

I've a couple of issues here.

You're writing Kerry and Donegal off very hastily.

How the hell do Kildare and Meath suddenly become challengers.

They haven't been near the top table for quite some time.

For all this talk of Kildares great underage structures, you don't really win much. One under 21 All Ireland final in 2008, you haven't been in a minor final for years.

Cavan, Roscommon, Tipp are all further down the road than either of those 2."
I think him been from kildare might have something to do with it lok

ros1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 1211 - 23/08/2016 23:31:26    1905129

Link

Replying To Kingoreilly:  "dublin mayo and Tyrone you can scrub the rest of them off, and in two to three years I'm predicting Dublin Kildare meath Kerry Galway and Tyrone will be the main contenders"
Why will Mayo fall away in 2-3 years after winning the U21s this year? There is nothing to suggest Kildare, Meath or Galway will move ahead of them.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 414 - 23/08/2016 23:57:01    1905136

Link

Replying To ROS1:  "I think him been from kildare might have something to do with it lok"
HAHA Kildare..not a chance , no underage success at any level , current team is a 5/10 team at best. They will be average until they start to see underage success at least .

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 24/08/2016 02:49:46    1905150

Link

Dublin Kildare meath Kerry Galway and Tyrone will be the main contenders

Crazy talk of Kildare , no underage team and a dead flat average at best senior team .5 years of hard labour before ye can hope for any improvement

Meath is just as insane , one minor final a few years back will not make a great team , you need a strong senior panel in place already before minors can become relevant .. it is not the 90's anymore all these teams have gone to the dogs sorry to tell you. .

Galway maybe a little improved still a 6/10 team.Hard to tell with them ,probably a few more quarter finals , odd semi ,no AI anytime soon.

Ourselves are decent and will be at much the same level as this year and last, hanging about the quaters/semi for a few years anyway although hard to see that bunch winning an AI with Dublin,Kerry,Mayo around.

Dublin is unarguable .

You left out Mayo .Big mistake leaving out Mayo.Don't listen to the media hype around that team dying out , they have a new crop of u-21s dying to break into that team , some have already..but they just won a fking AI U-21 championship how on earth anyone thinks they won't be in the running for an AI in 2017 or the next 5 is beyone me , they already have a 8/10 team add those young lads over a 2year period and they will be neck and neck with the Dubs.Granted they may lose this year but their panel will seriously improve mark my words and as soon as next year .They have one serious forward by the name of Irwin who I believe will make a big difference to them next year.

Kerry will also be there or there abouts. They will fade for three maybe four years.They have no underage (just yet to fill their boots) but they have won a few minors in the last few years and they will grow into U-21 eventually senior.

Tipperary will also be in my honest opinion better than ourselves in two years time. Fantastic team at the minute , very very young and just lost by a few points in U-21 final to us last year.

The next five years will be a power struggle between Mayo and Dublin ,followed a few steps behind with Tipp and Ourselves and I'd expect Kerry to come very relevant again in three or four years as will Cork with their U-21.

For those of you say underage success doesn't develop into senior success it doesn't always (unless you already have the senior panel in place)Dublin ,Mayo ,Tipp ,Tyrone already have the panel undergae tipping along nicely in all camps so that is where it is at for the next 5 years but 90 percent certain it will be dominated by Mayo and Dublin for at least the next 4/5 until the rest get stronger or back to strength (kerry,Cork)

Donegal will be exactly where they are unless they throw together a few decent U-21s.

Cork will be back to in two years or so with decent underage teams

Roscommon I'm unsure of , have the talent but I just can't get my head around them if they will ever become any sort of a senior team , if they do nothing next year goose is cooked I think.

Everyone else is irrelevant to coming anywhere near AI success.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 24/08/2016 03:15:03    1905151

Link

Underage success is like a weather forecast. Reassuring and gratifying... but don't be betting the farm on it! A savvy manager with a good knowledge of scientific training techniques and a keen awareness of the importance of strategy in sport can make all the difference. Roscommon with Kearns would probably be a more fearsome prospect than the arrangement which proved so successful with Tipperary!?!

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 569 - 24/08/2016 09:53:30    1905207

Link

Its a wonderful achievement for Mayo to make 6 semi finals in a row and resulting in 3 finals but its going to be extremely difficult to keep that cycle going although it's been easy to dominate Connacht given how poor Galway have been during that period. They've won Connacht titles without having to beat a Div 1 side. Thats not taking anything away from Mayo as they have been comfortably one of the top 3 or 4 sides in the Country during that time. That cycle will come to an end soon though, the likes of Higgins, Boyle, Andy Moran, Barry Moran, SOS, Cafferkey, Barrett & Dillon have been wonderful servants to Mayo and won't be easy to replace especially Caff, Higgins & Boyle. All these players have been around a long time and are the wrong side of 30 and will need to be replaced in the next year or two. I think Mayo are in a downward spiral but if they win on the 18th nobody in Mayo will care but if they are beaten. I still think nearly all those players will carry on if Mayo are beaten as their is serious hunger within that group.

I'm hopeful my own county can get promoted this year and win a game in Croker to end the hodoo. If everyone who is available can commit to the panel I don't see any reason why they can't. Despite what happened against Tipp there was progress made with beating Mayo along the way and winning a Connacht title.

You can cause a shock or two along the way but its highly unlikely a County will win an All Ireland without playing Div 1 football.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 24/08/2016 10:49:53    1905233

Link

GameOfTyrones

So basically were 6th or 7th in the pecking order behind both Cork and Tipp?

KYTitletown (Kerry) - Posts: 816 - 24/08/2016 13:08:17    1905304

Link

Replying To KYTitletown:  "GameOfTyrones

So basically were 6th or 7th in the pecking order behind both Cork and Tipp?"
Not right now but honestly after one or two years I'd see TIpp coming above ye. Atleast until your minors develop and lots of young talent ye will have come 4 years or so but it will just be a little dip.I don't think ye will be much below us or TIpp but definitely not for long. Then above both of us come 4/5 years back to winning all -Irelands.Cork a little behind ye then but back to a decent team.

I can't predict that 100% obviously but it's just my thoughts from weighing up all the current senior panels of the top team , then taking age into consideration for each of the senior team , who will be retiring etc, the U-21 and minor level players ready to come in to replace older players. Tyrone,Tipperary,Dublin,Mayo all have solid senior set ups at the minute. Kerry have too but they have an older panel than most and few underage at the minute to replace them.Them four team have strong panels , TIpp being the weakest but will have more to add over a year or two.

It might be hard to take in but Tipperary will only get better the next few years , they might even get a few more players back next year who had left for abroad and hurling based on their results this year.

I'm not saying they will dominate munster but I'd expect a munster title very soon.Cork still have catching up to do to both but like I said , Kerry will trump everyone in a few years once them minors grow up .They have won two in a row and and are in a semi final this weekend I'd expect they would win based on what I seen of Kildare minors this year.That's three solid teams in a row , a few from each of them teams will make it too senior and will probably form the base of an recuring All-Ireland winning team from 2020-2030.

Ye will only have a few years of a below par Kerry back to business in no time.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 24/08/2016 13:32:37    1905319

Link

No, I'm not criticising your opinion I admire your honesty I wish some of the people on here patronising Kerry would take note

Jeez that one lucky All-Ireland will be all we have for a 10-15 year period, I didn't fully enjoy and appreciate the good days in the last decade, I foolishly thought those days would never end.

On reflection, given our low population base and resources I should have seen the wheel turning, I was too stupid/arrogant to do so, I won't make that mistake again. I will be well and truly and humbled once these dark days eventually subside.

KYTitletown (Kerry) - Posts: 816 - 24/08/2016 13:54:30    1905333

Link

Replying To TheWestIsAwake:  "Its a wonderful achievement for Mayo to make 6 semi finals in a row and resulting in 3 finals but its going to be extremely difficult to keep that cycle going although it's been easy to dominate Connacht given how poor Galway have been during that period. They've won Connacht titles without having to beat a Div 1 side. Thats not taking anything away from Mayo as they have been comfortably one of the top 3 or 4 sides in the Country during that time. That cycle will come to an end soon though, the likes of Higgins, Boyle, Andy Moran, Barry Moran, SOS, Cafferkey, Barrett & Dillon have been wonderful servants to Mayo and won't be easy to replace especially Caff, Higgins & Boyle. All these players have been around a long time and are the wrong side of 30 and will need to be replaced in the next year or two. I think Mayo are in a downward spiral but if they win on the 18th nobody in Mayo will care but if they are beaten. I still think nearly all those players will carry on if Mayo are beaten as their is serious hunger within that group.

I'm hopeful my own county can get promoted this year and win a game in Croker to end the hodoo. If everyone who is available can commit to the panel I don't see any reason why they can't. Despite what happened against Tipp there was progress made with beating Mayo along the way and winning a Connacht title.

You can cause a shock or two along the way but its highly unlikely a County will win an All Ireland without playing Div 1 football."
Aye,I think everyone is repeating what the media is saying on Mayo and a downward spiral. They are far from it. Granted some of the players may be ageing (some are the wrong side of thirty).

They have a lot of young talented players to replace the old timers. Loftus is a fine forward , hasn't got much game time this year but whne he has he's scored goals when needed and points. Evan Regan is a zippy full forward , think their second highest scorer this year ,why he wasn't starting against Tipp confuses me.Coen is also shapping up well, Connor O 'shea is already showing what he can do,Other young lads like Reape,Nally will need more time .Few more that haven't been on the senior panel this year that play U-21 including Irwin a bull of a full forward who was very impressive U-21 this year for them and shakram akram(i'm not sure if I'm spelling this one correct) is Keith Higgins esk in the backs.

The key difference between Galway having successful underage and Mayo is that Mayo already have a strong senior team than Galway did not. Galway have improved because of their youth but Mayo come two years will be at a peak between them older players you mentioned still having a year or two left in them (bar maybe Andy Moran and Dillon)

I'd actually rather see Galway come up in the rankings to be honest , it would be good for the game ,especially the connaught championship which has been a snooze fest like the Leinster the last 5 years or so..but mark my words Mayo will be a fine fine team in the next two/three years.Although Dublin will be even better with the young lads they have coming through and the current panel they have , neck and neck for Sam between those pair 2018-2021. Ourselves will be a little bit behind both I think,Kerry picking up good in 4 years back to their best .Interesting few year ahead with Tipp showing themselves as decent team too .

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 24/08/2016 13:56:40    1905338

Link

Jeez lads any chance of keeping your posts down to max of 2 paragraphs - some of them are like war and peace - means most people won't bother reading them. Just some friendly advice :-)

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 24/08/2016 14:10:18    1905343

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "
Replying To KYTitletown:  "GameOfTyrones

So basically were 6th or 7th in the pecking order behind both Cork and Tipp?"
Not right now but honestly after one or two years I'd see TIpp coming above ye. Atleast until your minors develop and lots of young talent ye will have come 4 years or so but it will just be a little dip.I don't think ye will be much below us or TIpp but definitely not for long. Then above both of us come 4/5 years back to winning all -Irelands.Cork a little behind ye then but back to a decent team.

I can't predict that 100% obviously but it's just my thoughts from weighing up all the current senior panels of the top team , then taking age into consideration for each of the senior team , who will be retiring etc, the U-21 and minor level players ready to come in to replace older players. Tyrone,Tipperary,Dublin,Mayo all have solid senior set ups at the minute. Kerry have too but they have an older panel than most and few underage at the minute to replace them.Them four team have strong panels , TIpp being the weakest but will have more to add over a year or two.

It might be hard to take in but Tipperary will only get better the next few years , they might even get a few more players back next year who had left for abroad and hurling based on their results this year.

I'm not saying they will dominate munster but I'd expect a munster title very soon.Cork still have catching up to do to both but like I said , Kerry will trump everyone in a few years once them minors grow up .They have won two in a row and and are in a semi final this weekend I'd expect they would win based on what I seen of Kildare minors this year.That's three solid teams in a row , a few from each of them teams will make it too senior and will probably form the base of an recuring All-Ireland winning team from 2020-2030.

Ye will only have a few years of a below par Kerry back to business in no time."
I find it hard to agree with this.

Despite getting to the semifinals this year Tipp are at a much lower starting point than Kerry.

I think you're extrapolating too much out of underage success.

An under 21 team or minor team is a 1 or 2 year snapshot of players, many getting lost to the game shortly after.

A senior team is an accumulation of the best 25 or so players taken over a 10 years range of guys who are proven to be committed.

Non traditional counties need more than one or 2 underage successes to fuel a really top side.

Likewise there are going to be enough coming through in Kerry that they don't slip back too much.

I'd be very surprised if at the start of any of the next 5 championships if Tipp are more fancied to win the AI than Kerry.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 24/08/2016 14:19:50    1905349

Link