National Forum

What is going wrong with Kildare football?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Went to Croke Park on Sunday and could not believe how Kidare have gone back. A couple of years ago they appeared Dublins main threat in Leinster. On Sunday they were lifeless, had no imagination and only for a soft goal would have been beaten by more. Star names like Bolton and Flaherty were hauled off. And a Kildare supporter remarked to me 'that if you think they are bad today, you should have seen them against Wexford'. A short while back they were appearing in All Ireland semi finals and Division One of the NFL. More worryingly where have all the bright young Kildare stars disappeared to and most of these lads were forwards.

Auldfella (Meath) - Posts: 472 - 28/06/2016 12:59:46    1873247

Link

Kildare have went back. From 1998-2012ish bar a few lean years in the noughties they were formidable opposition. Why? Micko and kieran mc geeney got the best out of them. I would not say they were a spectacular footballing team but they had heart and played to the best of their ability. Kildare have played in 1 leinster final since 2009 Laois have been more a threat to Dublin then Kildare. They are a big county, good enough underage teams but I dont think they will be back to the mc geeney days for a long time. There club scene is poor, no winners of Leinster club for example. Its a lean spell for the, Cian O Neil is a top man and will take 3-4 years to develop a team.

222 (UK) - Posts: 693 - 28/06/2016 13:16:44    1873260

Link

Replying To Auldfella:  "Went to Croke Park on Sunday and could not believe how Kidare have gone back. A couple of years ago they appeared Dublins main threat in Leinster. On Sunday they were lifeless, had no imagination and only for a soft goal would have been beaten by more. Star names like Bolton and Flaherty were hauled off. And a Kildare supporter remarked to me 'that if you think they are bad today, you should have seen them against Wexford'. A short while back they were appearing in All Ireland semi finals and Division One of the NFL. More worryingly where have all the bright young Kildare stars disappeared to and most of these lads were forwards."
That question relating to "What has gone wrong with Kildare football" applies to a lot of other counties that were once at the top table, a similar or more demanding question could be asked, like, -
What has happened to Armagh football, ? to Down football,? to Cork football,? to Offaly football,
To Derry Football,? and to your own beloved Meath football, not to mention Mayo football. Then you have the mighty Kerry that was hammered out the gate in last years All Ireland final. So that's eight of the biggest name's in gaelic senior football gone into free fall, another eight (div. 4) are in tail spin, so with that said my guess is that at least 50% of the counties are non competitive.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 28/06/2016 13:50:24    1873278

Link

The problem I have noticed with their underage teams is the fact that they need to be much bigger physically than most. So when they come to senior they don't have that advantage.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 28/06/2016 14:11:10    1873291

Link

They got promoted earlier in the year. They topper the league. They won the Leinster minor last year and we're very unlucky not to win the Leinster under 21 this year. I would suggest that they are progressing nicely. They were the real winners on Sunday. They avoided a hammering from Dublin in the next match.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 28/06/2016 21:29:04    1873551

Link

Replying To bennybunny:  "They got promoted earlier in the year. They topper the league. They won the Leinster minor last year and we're very unlucky not to win the Leinster under 21 this year. I would suggest that they are progressing nicely. They were the real winners on Sunday. They avoided a hammering from Dublin in the next match."
If that's the case all we're doing is postponing the inevitable, the traditional system is Kildare's game, not the blanket defence.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 271 - 29/06/2016 10:00:39    1873651

Link

Replying To Auldfella:  "Went to Croke Park on Sunday and could not believe how Kidare have gone back. A couple of years ago they appeared Dublins main threat in Leinster. On Sunday they were lifeless, had no imagination and only for a soft goal would have been beaten by more. Star names like Bolton and Flaherty were hauled off. And a Kildare supporter remarked to me 'that if you think they are bad today, you should have seen them against Wexford'. A short while back they were appearing in All Ireland semi finals and Division One of the NFL. More worryingly where have all the bright young Kildare stars disappeared to and most of these lads were forwards."
With the greatest of respect, I think you should be worrying more about the state of football in your own county before trying to figure out the issues in others.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 29/06/2016 15:31:02    1873864

Link

Wayno with the greatest of respect I have asked that question on countless occasions. I was not having a cut at Kildare but I am sure you will agree they always brought a certain class, flair and exciting brand of football to the Leinster championship. We are all missing that now.

Auldfella (Meath) - Posts: 472 - 29/06/2016 15:48:03    1873881

Link

and yet if that goal had not been dissallowed they would have been in a leinster final and there wouldn't be a word about this...small margins !

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 29/06/2016 16:10:01    1873890

Link

Kildare and Meath should have no excuses....big populations, big supporter base, infrastructure, close to Dublin for players to be home based. Neither would be regarded as poor counties in terms of fundraising or getting a few financial backers on board. I don't understand it.

I know we all go through spells in terms of a group of very good to great players coming along (unless your Kerry) but if you have the right structures in place, underage development etc then there is no reason why you can't operate at a high level.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11231 - 29/06/2016 17:08:06    1873931

Link

I posted on this last year but was so surprised with the apathy from Kildare supporters towards their own team. I won't get into all that again but I will say that it's very hard for the Kildare players to motivate themselves when they can ship 7 goals in one half of football and still get a 2 week holiday to Las Vegas.
Why would they bother or trouble themselves if they're going to get looked after like that as well as their supporters not being bothered if they win or lose.

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 29/06/2016 17:18:54    1873938

Link

Its easier to make excuses than front up to the challenge.

JayP (Dublin) - Posts: 1772 - 29/06/2016 18:15:12    1873956

Link

Too many athletes. Need to find natural forwards who can kick ball over the bar

CurranCake1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 130 - 29/06/2016 18:43:04    1873968

Link

Any half bit Kildare footballer since the Micky era has been treated like royalty, county board pumping money into them and it's worse they're getting, absolutely no steel in the current set up at all.

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1909 - 29/06/2016 20:32:06    1874002

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "and yet if that goal had not been dissallowed they would have been in a leinster final and there wouldn't be a word about this...small margins !"
There would be plenty of words about them after the hammering they would get in the Leinster final. They lost to Clare in the Div 3 league final --- enough said!

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 29/06/2016 21:16:10    1874023

Link

Fair play to our minors for showing some desire and fighting spirit. A couple of decent forwards too. In these dark days a small lift. A chance now to win the 3rd minor in 3 years. That's another day's work, but fair play to them for beating favourites Meath, in navan too.

jonno (Kildare) - Posts: 260 - 07/07/2016 21:55:13    1878191

Link

They lost the swagger
you don't here the
oh to oh to be oh to be a Lilly

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 07/07/2016 22:11:04    1878202

Link

We're not good enough and we don't have the players.

In terms of Leinster we are behind the Dubs, Westmeath and on a par with Meath.

Huge money was spent on the McGeeney era and underage was left to suffer. Only in the last 4-5 years has that changed.

Newbridge is an absolute joke of a county ground.

At club level lads are left sitting around waiting months at a time for championship just to ensure that Cian O'Neill can have 26 lads down training rather out playing football.

Mad.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 08/07/2016 10:44:36    1878352

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "We're not good enough and we don't have the players.

In terms of Leinster we are behind the Dubs, Westmeath and on a par with Meath.

Huge money was spent on the McGeeney era and underage was left to suffer. Only in the last 4-5 years has that changed.

Newbridge is an absolute joke of a county ground.

At club level lads are left sitting around waiting months at a time for championship just to ensure that Cian O'Neill can have 26 lads down training rather out playing football.

Mad."
I think that the club V county problems applies to most counties with a few exceptions. We have had Minor and U21 teams winning Leinster titles in the last few years and with the minors now having qualified for four Leinster finals in a row. Hopefully these minors and U21's will be brought along in the next few years. However we need to go back to playing our natural style of football. From what I can see the players have not bought into the managers's defensive setup. Our performances since this was introduced have gotten worse.
On the evidence of the previous games we will find it difficult to beat Offaly on Saturday who have not beaten Kildare in 10 years. The manager publicly called for the supporters to get behind the team on Saturday. If this same defensive system is in operation I foresee another listless performance with Offaly winning. Ps. To the Australian poster. No genuine supporter doesn't care whether the team wins or loses.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2990 - 08/07/2016 14:20:42    1878503

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "The problem I have noticed with their underage teams is the fact that they need to be much bigger physically than most. So when they come to senior they don't have that advantage."
Thats a fact. Kildare underage teams, including this years minors, seem to always have 4/5 lads who are fully grown and then disappear at u21 and senior level. If you are fully grown at 15/16, then your chances of having an adult career of substance are greatly reduced in my view.

Crinigan (Meath) - Posts: 1318 - 08/07/2016 15:13:29    1878534

Link