National Forum

Gaelic players diving

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When is GAA going to start taking action players faking injury?? Disgraceful carry on. 1 match ban at least for one Donegal man

CurranCake1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 130 - 25/06/2016 23:40:15    1872058

Link

Replying To CurranCake1:  "When is GAA going to start taking action players faking injury?? Disgraceful carry on. 1 match ban at least for one Donegal man"
I don't know, I thought from one angle it looked like he got caught slightly, and the other it looked like he didn't. Sky pundits jumped on it, but I thought it was hard to 100% sure.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 25/06/2016 23:54:20    1872063

Link

It was embarrasing , cringe and I would have no problem with a one match ban .

Shocking stuff from our keeper .

I hope no Donegal supporter defends this .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 26/06/2016 01:34:58    1872086

Link

if the GAA actually want to do something about this then they need to review the footage and suspend the Donegal keeper.

Seriously embarassing behaviour from him and not doing something about it only encourages players to keep doing it.

It's not the players fault this is happening it's the GAA's fault for tolerating it .

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 26/06/2016 09:41:25    1872127

Link

Replying To uibhfhaili1986:  "if the GAA actually want to do something about this then they need to review the footage and suspend the Donegal keeper.

Seriously embarassing behaviour from him and not doing something about it only encourages players to keep doing it.

It's not the players fault this is happening it's the GAA's fault for tolerating it ."
I think its a bit ironic that the original poster of this thread has a user name of CurranCake1 as I remember Shane Curran being prone to a bit of theatrics when it suited him. In particular I remember an Ireland club semi he played in with St Brigids where he made a right fool of himself having to be carried off. Whatever young McGinley did last night pales in comparison to that as well as previous antics from Tiernan (forget his sirname from Tyrone), Aidan O Mahony and Michael Shields. No way the Gaa can suspend him, there was contact so no way of saying for sure how hurt he was.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 421 - 26/06/2016 11:42:44    1872184

Link

He is the latest in what is becoming a long line of players doing this & the authorities have to take action by issuing retroactive bans.

Having said that, if McGinleys's aim was to waste time he failed miserably when the ref added six minutes of injury time which Monaghan used to full effect.

So not alone was it embarrasing but it was also counter productive, a double whammy.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 26/06/2016 11:57:59    1872198

Link

Why does it mostly happen in Ulster football though?

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 26/06/2016 12:10:03    1872204

Link

I would call it a triple whammy because we stopped playing after that stoppage.

Can't defend this behaviour at all.

I would be all for the GAA threatening retrospective action against players. They need to make it clear beforehand though and not just start doing it out of the blue.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 26/06/2016 12:13:31    1872205

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "Why does it mostly happen in Ulster football though?"
Not the case. It happens in every province. Remember 2 years ago when there was uproar in the meath defense v dublin when there was an alleged incident of some sort, and then the meath management rescinded their player's sighting. There wasnt a word about it on the main stream media.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 26/06/2016 12:16:46    1872207

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "I think its a bit ironic that the original poster of this thread has a user name of CurranCake1 as I remember Shane Curran being prone to a bit of theatrics when it suited him. In particular I remember an Ireland club semi he played in with St Brigids where he made a right fool of himself having to be carried off. Whatever young McGinley did last night pales in comparison to that as well as previous antics from Tiernan (forget his sirname from Tyrone), Aidan O Mahony and Michael Shields. No way the Gaa can suspend him, there was contact so no way of saying for sure how hurt he was."
It's quite clear he exaggerated in order to waste time and potentially get a Monaghan player booked.

All this sort of rubbish needs to be removed from the game and the only way to do it is zero tolerance until the players learn their lesson.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 26/06/2016 12:20:45    1872210

Link

Can fickle GAA people stop referring diving as purely only found in soccer

222 (UK) - Posts: 693 - 26/06/2016 12:39:22    1872226

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "Not the case. It happens in every province. Remember 2 years ago when there was uproar in the meath defense v dublin when there was an alleged incident of some sort, and then the meath management rescinded their player's sighting. There wasnt a word about it on the main stream media."
Suppose.. Mind you we all know what happened,but it was brushed under the carpet..

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 26/06/2016 12:41:51    1872229

Link

I think its a bit ironic that the original poster of this thread has a user name of CurranCake1 as I remember Shane Curran being prone to a bit of theatrics when it suited him. In particular I remember an Ireland club semi he played in with St Brigids where he made a right fool of himself having to be carried off. Whatever young McGinley did last night pales in comparison to that as well as previous antics from Tiernan (forget his sirname from Tyrone), Aidan O Mahony and Michael Shields. No way the Gaa can suspend him, there was contact so no way of saying for sure how hurt he was.
HEREBENJI (Donegal)

I'm afraid what he did last night was exactly the same, diving to get a player sent off, need to be consistent here lads, the only difference was it didn't work for him apart from the time wasting element of it

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 26/06/2016 13:00:49    1872254

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "Why does it mostly happen in Ulster football though?"
Maybe you should travel more around your football in Meath it is shocking bad and has been for years

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 26/06/2016 13:39:03    1872267

Link

Bring in a rule and suspend them from next year on you just can't suspend someone like that now with no rule . Should have been brought in when it first started

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 26/06/2016 13:40:53    1872268

Link

Replying To CurranCake1:  "When is GAA going to start taking action players faking injury?? Disgraceful carry on. 1 match ban at least for one Donegal man"
Go Back and watch the Ulster Final last year would you. Also a few Roscommon games this year in the league there was play acting. Not condoning what McFadden did. It was embarrassing but if you are trying to highlight Donegal maybe have a look at your own county and a lot of other counties too.

Terrorist (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 28/06/2016 15:16:39    1873348

Link

Replying To uibhfhaili1986:  "if the GAA actually want to do something about this then they need to review the footage and suspend the Donegal keeper.

It's not the players fault this is happening it's the GAA's fault for tolerating it ."
So it's not the fault of a grown man if he does this??

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 28/06/2016 15:26:37    1873363

Link

Happens in most games nowadays unfortunately.

Sean Cavanagh dived in the first minute against Cavan last week but the ref was wise to it. This didn't stop players diving later in the game tho and he was fooled a couple of times. McManus was at it on Saturday too. It's very difficult to referee and as long as frees are given, players will dive.

If referees were less fussy and gave a bit more lee-way to the tackling player it may help. Too often, a decision is made that when a player goes to ground he has either been fouled or has over-carried . . quite often, neither is the case and play should be allowed to develop for a few seconds more.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 28/06/2016 15:36:58    1873377

Link

Respect for majority of Donegal posters replying here , more people need to stop hiding behind county colours , regarding the instance itself I'm of the opinion always have been that I despise scapegoat justice , we need a process and it should be followed always and all players treated the same , if found guilty then proper and fair punishment issued with ONE course of appeal only.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 28/06/2016 16:05:04    1873414

Link

I wouldn't be in favour of a retrospective ban for the Donegal keeper, even though I thought it was terrible carry on when it happened, but the time has definitely come for the GAA to take action on diving/simulation/feigning or whatever you want to call it.
The problem now is whenever an incident like this is highlighted the defence is always 'it's no worse than what X did last week or last year'. The time has come for the GAA to draw a line in the sand and warn all teams that this behaviour will be targeted by match officials. Someone posted that there is no rule to cover this, but surely If the referee, or the ref and his officials are sure that a player has dived , then it can be dealt with as 'unsporting behaviour' at the very least. If players know this is going to be closely watched I've no doubt it will make then think at least before trying to get someone sent off or booked. I know the black card has very few fans but it has definitely reduced the number of third man tackles taking place in the game.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 28/06/2016 20:58:26    1873539

Link