National Forum

Your "typical" intercounty footballer

(Oldest Posts First)

link

Daniel Flynn's piece on the mainpage makes for interesting reading. It's a bit more detailed than some of the player's schedules I've read lately and he's slightly less high profile than your Brogans, Murphys or O'Sheas (and in a less successful team).

I'm just wondering, is this a typical intercounty player's routine;
- gym twice a week? would've thought most go more than twice
- intercounty training 3 times a week? how many counties do more? how many do less?
- 6/7 hours sleep. a bit low perhaps?

Can any Kildare posters tell me if they did more training and (organised) gym work under McGeeney?

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5010 - 23/06/2016 14:46:38    1871226

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "link

Daniel Flynn's piece on the mainpage makes for interesting reading. It's a bit more detailed than some of the player's schedules I've read lately and he's slightly less high profile than your Brogans, Murphys or O'Sheas (and in a less successful team).

I'm just wondering, is this a typical intercounty player's routine;
- gym twice a week? would've thought most go more than twice
- intercounty training 3 times a week? how many counties do more? how many do less?
- 6/7 hours sleep. a bit low perhaps?

Can any Kildare posters tell me if they did more training and (organised) gym work under McGeeney?"
On days Dublin train they train early morning and night

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 23/06/2016 21:10:36    1871369

Link

1. More often than not work takes second place to the county set up
2. I wish I had more time to spend with my girlfriend, friends and family though

It's not worth it lads, for any county.

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 222 - 23/06/2016 22:45:51    1871392

Link

Must admit I read that a few days ago and picked up on some the above points too, girlfriend and family comment really stood out.

Sleep is the huge 'in' thing at the moment, to be fair it makes sense but again this is where the GAA goes against everything that modern, progressive (professional) sports offer. Time. Not enough hours in the day and to be honest, it's only something that professionalism or semi professionalism will solve. Here you have a former professional AFL player saying he only gets 6-7 hours sleep, he would know better than this and I doubt he's said that without crossing his mind it would be picked up on.

County teams pretty much are all around 2/3 nights a week including the game at the weekend, training camp, A v B or whatever the case may be.

The gym routine seems about right for this time of the year - I'd say it would have been around 4 times a week over xmas/new year period but now most of the work 'should be done' with regards to whatever the player wants to do, endurance running, power over first 30m and what needed to be improved first with most of the work at this time of year coming into the realm of 'prehab' as opposed to banging out the deadlifts or squats.

The physique of the Kildare players was a talking point a few years ago but honestly that was a stick to beat McGeeney with, Kildare lads obviously know more about their county than me and their opinion should carry greater weight but they just lacked that strength in depth, you have to remember this was a team so, so close to getting into an A.I Final.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 24/06/2016 12:21:34    1871496

Link

getting a bit sick of all the "poor me" stuff. god love them.

what about all the weekend warriors, triathletes, adventure racers, 10k/park run guys that train 4/5 times a week. pay for your own physio/gear/meals/nutritional advice/gym membership etc. u never hear these lads complaining.

not to mention our olympians/potential olympians. the training these guys do is out of this world. yes some of them get grants, but very few.

even the ones in the office doing 5 classes a week and still 3 stone overweight (we all know people like this). they are busy, working, families etc yes they are about as far from elite as it is possible to get but that does not mean it isn't hard for them too.

the above does not mean i don't think that the gaa lads train hard. of course they do and fair play to them. especially the lads with young families. but jaysus give it a rest. life is tough, its a balancing act for everyone.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1826 - 27/06/2016 13:35:27    1872752

Link