National Forum

Keyboard warriors

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-would-love-to-meet-these-faceless-keyboard-warriors-gaa-chief-slams-cyber-attacks-34747647.html

Interesting article , maybe has been done before on here , wondering as we all give opinions every day on this site what's acceptable and what's not ?
Sport is fuelled by talk debate controversy and differing opinions , but in the context of mental wellbeing of young men, when or what could be considered over the top ?
For me I try to be careful when discussing minor or under 21 s in particular yet have noticed not everyone is.
Hoganstand by and large tends to deal with bigger pictures rather than individuals which in turn means it could rarely be accused of bullying .
Last word in defence of keyboard warriors , the worst most malicious comments I've come across has been at matches , having said that I'm on this site and not much more so cant speak for all forums

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/05/2016 13:40:28    1858886

Link

I agree, its not nice to criticise the younger players who are still learning the game and I think I said just that to a fellow county poster a few months back. I try to speak generally about performances, but sometimes if this or that player stood out as having underperformed badly I will bring it up. I don't see much wrong in that, the player himself probably knows it and its not being said to insult the player but calling the game as I seen it.

Would I be the only one who absolutely hates twitter?

I think it is a ridiculous concept, I know some will say its a good way to keep tabs with their favourite celebs or sports stars but I just see it as a way for famous people to flaunt what they've got and make comments that a lot of their followers will find fault with. Twitter just seems to be filled with jealousy and resentment from followers who seem to have the license to write some disgusting comments about people they don't even know. You only ever hear about it when it causes controversy and if I was a premier league manager I would ban my players from using it. Even in the GAA we have s had to deal with incidents of what this or that player said about someone. Who really needs all this!

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 26/05/2016 14:25:53    1858905

Link

i don't see any personal abuse on this forum directed towards players especially young players. as someone said you get alot more abuse at a match

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 26/05/2016 14:57:02    1858933

Link

Is abuse worse because it comes from "faceless keyboard warriors" or pundits who slate teams? Or is it abuse at all or simply having opinions about the merits of players. surely the biggest insult of all is not beng picked for the team or squad. that says "you are not good enough" there are alot of players around who are "not good enough" so.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 26/05/2016 15:01:23    1858934

Link

I try to avoid personal jibes at players in all my criticism, you win and lose as a team and we all know the sacrifice they all make.

Nothing annoys me more than saying "x y or z was, brutal, not good enough, etc". Says who? Some lad who probably never even played a club match.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 26/05/2016 15:25:20    1858953

Link

No, you're not, I hate twitter too. In fairness this forum's mods keep out that type of attack (if it exists) but they also block benign posts which I have no doubt you have all experienced at some stage.
Despite what you may hear, players DO read social media, and they DO read Hoganstand and it's ilk, I know this because I have talked to players who have, they see this forum as harmless enough. The people I have talked to see twitter as the virtual minefield.

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 26/05/2016 15:27:23    1858954

Link

I think we're pretty good one here.

Twitter has its uses as a media outlet, following journalists etc.

It's also a publicists wet dream.

Dimwits also use it and get a kick out of insulting people.

You have to be a pretty sad individual to attack a player on social media.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4225 - 26/05/2016 15:32:45    1858961

Link

Having a preference for one player over another is fair enough , we can all pick our counties best current 15 and argue over who wed pick no bother , its also fair to say the rules we apply to our own team well we are a bit more open in criticism of opposition ,
When it comes to pundits its rare that they over the top and make anything personal when it comes to players of course there have been notable exceptions like Brolly and Cavanagh etc I find pundits tend to criticise teams and Managers County Boards more than anything else

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/05/2016 15:39:04    1858968

Link

I find Twitter very useful when it's used properly. You can often find out team news much quicker by following various local and national journalists for example. It's also very beneficial if you're on the move and don't have access to TV/radio to follow a match.

But you're right in that there are a large number of complete idiots using it.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9136 - 26/05/2016 16:27:40    1858996

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-would-love-to-meet-these-faceless-keyboard-warriors-gaa-chief-slams-cyber-attacks-34747647.html

Interesting article , maybe has been done before on here , wondering as we all give opinions every day on this site what's acceptable and what's not ?
Sport is fuelled by talk debate controversy and differing opinions , but in the context of mental wellbeing of young men, when or what could be considered over the top ?
For me I try to be careful when discussing minor or under 21 s in particular yet have noticed not everyone is.
Hoganstand by and large tends to deal with bigger pictures rather than individuals which in turn means it could rarely be accused of bullying .
Last word in defence of keyboard warriors , the worst most malicious comments I've come across has been at matches , having said that I'm on this site and not much more so cant speak for all forums"
I agree. I read on hoganstand facebook page and 42 GAA and RTE GAA pages and some of the personal comments regarding players is disgusting. GAA needs to work with websites and track down these people. The Cork u21 keeper was victim of this a few weeks ago. Players are amateur and deserve better than this.

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 26/05/2016 16:32:01    1858998

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "I agree, its not nice to criticise the younger players who are still learning the game and I think I said just that to a fellow county poster a few months back. I try to speak generally about performances, but sometimes if this or that player stood out as having underperformed badly I will bring it up. I don't see much wrong in that, the player himself probably knows it and its not being said to insult the player but calling the game as I seen it.

Would I be the only one who absolutely hates twitter?

I think it is a ridiculous concept, I know some will say its a good way to keep tabs with their favourite celebs or sports stars but I just see it as a way for famous people to flaunt what they've got and make comments that a lot of their followers will find fault with. Twitter just seems to be filled with jealousy and resentment from followers who seem to have the license to write some disgusting comments about people they don't even know. You only ever hear about it when it causes controversy and if I was a premier league manager I would ban my players from using it. Even in the GAA we have s had to deal with incidents of what this or that player said about someone. Who really needs all this!"
I agree with this.I was never on twitter.Never even on facebook.Awful rubbish by the sounds of it.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/05/2016 16:57:18    1859011

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "I agree with this.I was never on twitter.Never even on facebook.Awful rubbish by the sounds of it."
Not the same thing but Watsapp is good crack. A few of us from home who were planning a stag setup a group. The banter was class posting pix and vids and ridiculous comments that we never repeat!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7345 - 26/05/2016 17:23:28    1859031

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Not the same thing but Watsapp is good crack. A few of us from home who were planning a stag setup a group. The banter was class posting pix and vids and ridiculous comments that we never repeat!"
Funny you mention that.Couple me pals were tryin to get me onto that last year but im happy enough with my calls and texts and plenty of data.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/05/2016 17:42:40    1859042

Link

social media is becoming a problem alright ..it reminds me of people who drink at home and when a row start nobody is there to stop it,but at least here on hoganstand we have our admins who keep things from ever getting out of control,I actually heard worst things said about players and mangers by auld biddies after Mass on sunday than anything that was ever said on here!

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 26/05/2016 17:46:15    1859044

Link

twitter is brilliant for match scores e.g there are two county shc games in limerick tonight - ill go to one of them and get twitter updates onthe other, same for all ireland league rugby, if you cant get to a game twitter will tell you, hate the personal abuse - i dont do it and dont read it myself - such ignorance is best ignored ..easier said than done though

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 27/05/2016 10:53:26    1859237

Link

Don't do Facebook and Twitter as they just seem to take over so much time and most of what's on there is just rubbish. Although all ages use them it's predominantly younger groups that spend majority of time trying to top up their tan by staring into the phone and basking in the glow.
Now I'm not an old fogie by any means but just seems like such a waste of time.
Easy too to insult whoever takes your fancy on the spur

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 27/05/2016 11:15:29    1859251

Link

This reminds me of an Ulster SHC semi-final about ten years back when my club were getting a bit of a trimming by our opponents, one of our half backs, a big big lump of a man was getting it tight on the field and one of our supporters (so called supporter), was giving him dogs abuse. Anyway the lad who was getting abused eventually got ripped and your man was still shouting and balling at him from the stand, next thing you know the big man tries to get up into the stand to accost his antagoniser, I swear I never seen a man go as white or shut up so fast...moral of the story is dont be such a big mouth as the guys and girls out on the field are actually trying their best no matter if its not good enough, nobody sets out to play badly and therefore do not deserve abuse from eejits along the line or behind a keyboard.

grandagrokepoke (Down) - Posts: 347 - 27/05/2016 11:23:44    1859257

Link

Replying To grandagrokepoke:  "This reminds me of an Ulster SHC semi-final about ten years back when my club were getting a bit of a trimming by our opponents, one of our half backs, a big big lump of a man was getting it tight on the field and one of our supporters (so called supporter), was giving him dogs abuse. Anyway the lad who was getting abused eventually got ripped and your man was still shouting and balling at him from the stand, next thing you know the big man tries to get up into the stand to accost his antagoniser, I swear I never seen a man go as white or shut up so fast...moral of the story is dont be such a big mouth as the guys and girls out on the field are actually trying their best no matter if its not good enough, nobody sets out to play badly and therefore do not deserve abuse from eejits along the line or behind a keyboard."
Well said.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7345 - 27/05/2016 11:32:46    1859263

Link

Facebook or Faceache as it is also known is generally a waste of time. I think its popularity is on the wane. The only merit it has is as a clubs' means of communication. Not on twitter myself which has caused controversy but it is a previous poster said it's good for match updates in real time.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2990 - 27/05/2016 12:40:56    1859287

Link

I once read of an English boxer who was getting awful abuse from some galoot on Twitter. So the boxer asked if anyone knew the buck and where he lived. His friends on badness gave the boxer the address. The next Tweet the boxer sent was a picture of himself in your man's estate! He wasn't long backing down then!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9136 - 27/05/2016 13:15:01    1859304

Link