National Forum

Are Posters happy with Gaa?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just a question; are posters happy with the direction both hurling and football are heading?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 22/05/2016 20:05:19    1857470

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Just a question; are posters happy with the direction both hurling and football are heading?"
Hurling...Sweepers...sweepers...sweepers.

Football: Blanket defence...blanket defence...blanket defence

Taliban stuff.....and Cork bad in both

Rockies (Cork) - Posts: 947 - 22/05/2016 20:19:56    1857474

Link

I'd imagine a lot of our country cousins will talk money in their unhappiness, some will talk defensive structures, and me? When Dublin are winning, I'm happy, when they're not, I'm not :)

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 22/05/2016 20:22:13    1857479

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Just a question; are posters happy with the direction both hurling and football are heading?"
No. The Association has become elitist and focused on a few counties and Gaelic Games are struggling badly in many places. I know Dublin are important to the GAA but Croke Park's policies and and directives seem to be driven around them as HQ maximise the dollar. Hurling has been allowed to die a death in Antrim and Ulster while the Leinster football Championship is a joke. Laois, Meath, Kildare are all plodding along with no real purpose as the Dublin machine rolls on and on. I really believe if the "lesser" counties withered away Croke Park wouldn't lose any sleep so long as Dublin/Kerry/KilkennyTipperary etc keep filling the ground and bringing in the bucks.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 22/05/2016 20:25:16    1857482

Link

From an entertainment perspective yes i am.
From a marketing perspective I think they need to up their game.
Central council funding needs to be addressed also.

As a rule of thumb though i'm happy.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 22/05/2016 20:30:58    1857487

Link

No I am not. The football championship is a disgrace (structure). Roscommon play 4 games to make a connacht final, galway 1 while kerry and cork stroll into a munster final after 1 game. Yeah and I know the replies will be, its the championship structure, this is what makes the irish summer but the modern game needs two championships. A brilliant thing GAA people portray is come september that it has been a great championship due to two good games in august/september. Leitrim were out of there depth today as will numerous other counties be, antrim were woeful last week also. The weaker teams wont do a Leicester, end of. Gave all counties a proper structure where platforms can be built. Antrim hurlers are in the chirsty ring, they are not moaning about being there, they were relegated as they werent good enough for mc carthy standard. Same with at least 12-16 teams in football championship. Make a new competition, name it the paidi o se/kevin heffernan cup or whatever. Promote it, the winner gets promotion to the sam maguire, somebody drops from the top tier back. The GAA has to act, the gulf is widening and instead of fining clubs for making money from other sports, give counties a chance to play at their level like the hurling championship. END OF

222 (UK) - Posts: 691 - 22/05/2016 20:37:25    1857492

Link

No I am not happy.

Inter County Championship structure is a joke. In fact inter-county teams should break away from the GAA and do it properly.
Maybe with the help of a rich benefactor.

The club championship is a joke no set fixtures long waits etc.

The GAA have such a great product yet they are tangled up by politics and fear of the unknown.

When is a new VIBRANT leader going to show up with radical new ideas f**k the voting at congress/provincial councils and show them how it should be done?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 22/05/2016 20:39:40    1857495

Link

Well I only really have any interest in hurling and after the league this year, and the awful weekend of hurling I have watched, no.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 22/05/2016 20:41:02    1857497

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "No. The Association has become elitist and focused on a few counties and Gaelic Games are struggling badly in many places. I know Dublin are important to the GAA but Croke Park's policies and and directives seem to be driven around them as HQ maximise the dollar. Hurling has been allowed to die a death in Antrim and Ulster while the Leinster football Championship is a joke. Laois, Meath, Kildare are all plodding along with no real purpose as the Dublin machine rolls on and on. I really believe if the "lesser" counties withered away Croke Park wouldn't lose any sleep so long as Dublin/Kerry/KilkennyTipperary etc keep filling the ground and bringing in the bucks."
Couldn't agree more

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1899 - 22/05/2016 20:44:50    1857500

Link

Replying To Rockies:  "Hurling...Sweepers...sweepers...sweepers.

Football: Blanket defence...blanket defence...blanket defence

Taliban stuff.....and Cork bad in both"
In football, Dublin have beaten the blanket defence. Tyrone seem to be coming out of that way of playing - very good going forward today.

Hurling -(at intercounty level) is in ruins. The following are the problems - all related in a sense:

1. Too much emphasis on winning the ball in the air in the hand -
2. From above - the skills of overhead pulling, batting and pulling on the ground are almost defunct
3. We see endless rucks in game which end up in throw ins where players don't pull on the ball which often leads to another ruck!
4. Players put in their hurley to tackle- said hurley is grabbed by an opponent and uses this to haul himself and his opponent to the ground and most often gains a free in
5. A player puts his hurley at shoulder level in an attempt to bat the ball of the stick - opponent goes to the ground and acts as if he is decapitated- tackler given a yellow card
6. Pushing down on an opponents helmet to temporarily unsight an opponents - rampant - cynical - ugly and anything but manly
7. Holding off the ball - use of spare hand to grab and release player in possession meaning they spill the ball and we get yet more rucks..
8. Sweepers - awful ugly stuff as we saw with Cork today -
9. Not enough competitor in hurling meaning the same teams play each other throughout the year (Cork played Clare 6 times in 2013!)
10. Due to the format of the competitions and due to familiarity, most matches are just shadow boxing non-events (see today in Thurles) and we get a few good games at the end of the year - if that - we have had nothing since the KK/Tipp AI final of 2014.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 22/05/2016 20:59:06    1857506

Link

We need more matches during summer in both codes and get rid of all the winter training and matches being played in winter.

Championship should be like the league split into divisions 2/3 and then playoffs at the end.Start in mid to late April each team have a game every 2 weeks and in the off weeks club matches can be played.

If county's don't organise a proper club fixture programme and stick to it either the get fined heavily or the intercounty team gets punished.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 22/05/2016 21:14:05    1857520

Link

After reading through this thread i feel depressed.I think i'm going to cut myself ...... another piece of cake.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 22/05/2016 21:29:49    1857529

Link

Replying To cuederocket:  "After reading through this thread i feel depressed.I think i'm going to cut myself ...... another piece of cake."
Don't do it or you'll never get on the catwalk.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 22/05/2016 21:48:25    1857544

Link

Replying To uibhfhaili1986:  "We need more matches during summer in both codes and get rid of all the winter training and matches being played in winter.

Championship should be like the league split into divisions 2/3 and then playoffs at the end.Start in mid to late April each team have a game every 2 weeks and in the off weeks club matches can be played.

If county's don't organise a proper club fixture programme and stick to it either the get fined heavily or the intercounty team gets punished."
agree 100%

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 22/05/2016 21:57:47    1857557

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "No. The Association has become elitist and focused on a few counties and Gaelic Games are struggling badly in many places. I know Dublin are important to the GAA but Croke Park's policies and and directives seem to be driven around them as HQ maximise the dollar. Hurling has been allowed to die a death in Antrim and Ulster while the Leinster football Championship is a joke. Laois, Meath, Kildare are all plodding along with no real purpose as the Dublin machine rolls on and on. I really believe if the "lesser" counties withered away Croke Park wouldn't lose any sleep so long as Dublin/Kerry/KilkennyTipperary etc keep filling the ground and bringing in the bucks."
Yep this i agree with completely.

The GAA at intercounty level is heading towards a tipping point of no return and we are seeing it before our eyes. Just yesterday we had an intercounty hurling team in the Leinster championship who could only muster 17 players. Leinster foot ball is dead, the fiasco with the Dubs match in Nowlan park, barely 14,000 for a double header in Croke park with 3 counties involved one of them being Dublin.

The GAA is a long way away from its ideals its scary.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 1328 - 23/05/2016 08:43:15    1857571

Link

The problem with the GAA is everybody wants their say.
Take the splitting of the football championships. It makes sense but yet was rejected by players of the smaller teams when valid ideas were put forward.

I feel this has to be brought in as otherwise the interest in these counties will be gone. I was in Carrick on Shannon yesterday to watch Leitrim get hammered by a Div 1 team in 2nd gear. Leitrim brought a good crowd but when money is tight etc why would anyone spend their hard earned money on that. The vibe I got afterwards is that unless the qualifier match is close by then very few are going to travel.

Even from a player perspective I don't understand why they wouldn't want this. In hurling Donegal took great pride in winning the tier 3 a few years ago. Its something them players will always remember. Surely this would be the same in football.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1209 - 23/05/2016 09:00:50    1857577

Link

The championship is very boring in the early stages. Why are teams like Leitrim, Louth, Carlow, Waterford, Antrim etc etc etc in the same competition as Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo etc???
This makes no sense at all and something needs to be done for the weaker counties!

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 349 - 23/05/2016 09:32:50    1857589

Link

Tired of BS interviews and jargon constantly being thrown out by players and managers to the same dire media.

Fergal O'Donnell yesterday proclaimed that the scoreline flattered Roscommon.
Anyone who had have watched the game would have known the difference between the teams could have been twice what it finished. The scoreline flattered Leitrim.

ball girl (Leitrim) - Posts: 194 - 23/05/2016 09:34:59    1857592

Link

The problem we have is an abject lack of leadership from HQ, the only time they seem to react is when the sunday game or some other media outlet has a go and then they go over the top.

The structures are broken but they dont want to change them. The whole calendar and championship structure need a complete overhaul, but doing what they did in the Hurling would be wrong. The Christy Ring has been terribly marketed and seems designed to placate the smaller counties rather than offer opportunities to improve. Kerry won last year and still had to beat Antrim to be allowed to compete in the McCarthy which was madness. Kerry have kicked on and fair play to them but realistically hurling is dying outside of its traditional strongholds and that doesnt seem to bother croke park one bit.

Same with football, how can one team arrive in an All Ireland quarter final playing 2 games whereas another team can play upto 6, thats not equitable, its again designed to keep an archaic structure in place to the detriment of the wider game.

duckula20 (Antrim) - Posts: 175 - 23/05/2016 09:41:17    1857593

Link

No .

I hate the structure of the championship . I feel that one is classed as a moan if they give out about it .

It's so unfair and nobody really cares .

In Ulster , there has been a few times in the past number of years were losing in the first round turns out to be an advantage as opposed to getting to a final and then lose . We played 3 games , lose the final and then must be expected to play 2 games in the following three weeks - this is impossible .

Last year we beat Tyrone but they have the advantage because they get an easier route - what type of system is that ?? Do I like the Ulster champo - yes but it doesn't make it right.

It's the same in Munster hurling - commentator said yesterday that only one side has come from Munster first round to win All- Ireland in 40 odd years .

I enjoyed the league . Most ( not all ) of the matches were reasonably close . Obviously the Dubs are capable of hammering everyone on their day but by and large the games were competitive .
Equally , everyone played the same number of games against the same opposition.

Now in our primary competition some teams have to beat one D1 team in order to reach a quarter or semi final . Division 3 and division 4 sides have no chance anymore .

By and large , nobody cares about the championship until August . It's unfair on everyone .

Every player from D1 to D4 have said change must be brought in but nothing . The old guys do not care .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 23/05/2016 10:09:19    1857609

Link