National Forum

Best GAA Journalists to read this summer?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Now that the Championship is really getting going this week, just wondering who everyone feels are the best GAA writers/journalists out there.

I'm looking to start earmarking a few more columnists to start reading so would appreciate any suggestions.

I enjoy Dara and Tomas's weekly articles. Mike Quirke also impresses me over in the Examiner.

Brolly is a great writer and very entertaining but sometimes you have to take what he says with a pinch of salt.

I like Michael Foley's stuff in the Sunday Times and Sean Moran in the Irish Times.

Did anyone read Galvin's debut column and was it any good as I'm a big fan of his.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 19/05/2016 14:31:20    1856403

Link

This could be a great thread but if any member abuses it with digs or snide comments it will be taken down.

Admin.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 19/05/2016 15:26:59    1856432

Link

Colm o rourke best

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 19/05/2016 15:45:31    1856442

Link

Could I start by asking the general GAA community the following question,

Should articles written about GAA matters by non-GAA journalists take up larger sections of a National newspaper's sports pages than those of former players or backroom members with notable GAA backgrounds?

I noted in recent years that many former GAA players turned part-time Sports journalist or columnists are relegated to very small area's of National newspapers. While some Journalists with little or no GAA background at all, are giving large sections with a feel that your reading from an expert.Now while I don't suggest they don't have the right to express an opinion, I can't help but feel their articles or columns overshadow those of some the great players of the past.

I enjoy all perspectives, but sometimes feel the opinion of the experienced Inter-county player type is not given the same weighting, except for a few notable exceptions. Even on here on HS, I prefer actual statistical based analysis, to simply the general consensus which is often wrong, biased or misguided. So in choosing your favourite Journalist or columnist, maybe explore why you enjoy reading those particular articles.
Not just wild or parochial statements, but why you particularly enjoy reading what that columnist has to say.
Example:
They use accurate details, and seem to have good overall vision of the wider game and teams and players positioning within that. They appraise teams in a unbiased fashion, exploring their strengths and weaknesses in an equal manner.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 19/05/2016 15:49:19    1856446

Link

When Malachy Clerkin writes in the times its usually very good. Great writing style but shame he doesnt write as much as he used to

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 19/05/2016 15:52:58    1856450

Link

This could be a great thread but if any member abuses it with digs or snide comments it will be taken down.

Admin.

Administrator (All) - Posts:1970 - 19/05/2016 15:26:59

When you say "digs or snide comments", something which most GAA threads tend to include, what do you specifically refer to?

I have refrained from naming newspapers or Journalists/Columnists in my last post, but with any discussion there will be an elements of what people don't like about certain Journalists alongside what they do like.

Is there any specifics that should not be discussed, or might prohibit a post making the thread?

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 19/05/2016 15:54:07    1856452

Link

Anything that personally attacks someone or has personal comments will not be allowed. This is about the 'Best GAA Journalists to read this summer' if you stick to the topic there should not be a problem. As you said "there will be an element of what people don't like about certain Journalists alongside what they do like" which is fine but as long as the content is about writing (within reason) and not the person themselves then it will absolutely be accepted.

There is a chance for a proper good thread here that discusses pieces of writing throughout the summer, so let's give it a go.

Admin.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 19/05/2016 16:03:20    1856455

Link

James Horan is somebody I really enjoy listening to on the radio, I haven't seen written articles by him yet, but definitely he has a great ability to sum up a teams performance in few words and give an accurate account of where they are at or what precisely they are doing on the pitch.

You hear him speak of maybe the number 6 on Team A isn't pushing up on the initial runner of Team B, and giving little bits of analysis of the thinking behind modern football. In a modern game where we track runners, and try twist and pull opposition defences, I often notice some of the pundits and Journalists from earlier era's don't mention a lot of these tactical moves.

I enjoy listening to that detailed analysis of specific roles within each team and who is doing what, in the modern context where players roles are maybe not as clearly defined.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 19/05/2016 16:06:26    1856460

Link

My favourite sports journalists are Gabrielle Marcotti and Dion Fanning.I'm not sure why, but i don't rate any GAA journalists as good as these two.Vincent Hogan can be good at times - interesting writing style.Colm Key's is decent.Most are of a similiar style and standard.Always good to read ex-players pieces.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 19/05/2016 16:10:53    1856464

Link

Agree,Horan is an excellent pundit and if memory serves me right he's a fine writer too.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 19/05/2016 16:15:56    1856468

Link

There is a chance for a proper good thread here that discusses pieces of writing throughout the summer, so let's give it a go.

I agree Admin, it would be great if this thread could be kept going over the whole summer and posters could mention, or post a link to, any articles that appeared which they found particularly good or interesting be in the national or their local press.

It would be really interesting to discuss and debate what comes up in the same and hopefully the WUM's will keep away.

I agree with a couple of the lads above, I always liked James Horan when he appears on Newstalk and think he could be an excellent column writer. Does he write for any of the Mayo papers?

A lot of people seem to like Jim McGuinness stuff in the Times. Personally, I was never bowled over by his column's. Too much of the ones I've read seem to come down to 'well I beat Dublin so I should know', but that's just my own opinion I'm sure others disagree.

I'm not sure if any posters on here will remember but Eamonn Fitzmaurice started writing for the Kerry's Eye and then the Examiner back around 2007. I thought his stuff was fantastic. One of the reasons Jack O'Connor brought him into the Kerry backroom set up was because of the quality of his columns. He had a brilliant insight into the game. I really hope when his done with Kerry he goes back to writing.

In the week of the 2009 All-Ireland final the Examiner got him to do a diary of the team's preparations. Part 1 was printed on the Saturday of the game and Part 2 on the Monday. It was incredible stuff. I remember reading it the day before the match and thinking is he has any sort of finger on the pulse Kerry will be unbeatable.

I can't find a link to it, but someone uploaded the first part in the Kerry GAA forum is anyone wants a look:

http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/2848/eamonn-fitzmaurices-diary

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/05/2016 09:37:52    1856587

Link

"Are youse boys going to let that wee baldy b*stard bully youse again?"

Great stuff from Peter the Great today.

I never had any idea Derry/Tyrone was such a big rivalry.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-strange-things-can-happen-in-rivalry-thats-full-of-spite-34731715.html

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/05/2016 10:06:07    1856599

Link

Malachy Clerkin is a always a good read

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 20/05/2016 10:20:12    1856607

Link

Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin for me. I enjoy the Jim McGuinness column as well. There are too many ex players now writing puff pieces, some are good, some are not. The Paul Galvin one last Sunday was poor, highlighting the Mayo V Dublin game and going into detail about how Mayo failed to lay down a marker by letting 2 or 3 Dublin supporters go on the pitch at half time with a flag, bizarre stuff.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7891 - 20/05/2016 10:30:45    1856616

Link

I always liked James Horan when he appears on Newstalk and think he could be an excellent column writer. Does he write for any of the Mayo papers?

He has a weekly column in the Mayo News. Very good pundit.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 20/05/2016 10:34:51    1856621

Link

I don't suppose there's any link to his stuff in that paper yew tree? Wouldn't mind reading what he has to say.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 20/05/2016 10:55:13    1856632

Link

Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin in the Irish Times and Michael Foley in the Sunday Times are the pick of the bunch for me. Eamonn Sweeney in the Sindo while not exclusively being a GAA journo is also exellent. As for the ex players columns Daragh wins the battle of the O'Sheas, I also enjoy Jim McGuinness' column. Overall although I rarely get it I think the Examiner's GAA coverage is the pick of the bunch and the Irish News should be commended for their coverage of the Ulster Championship but for non Ulster people they wouldn't have a whole lot to offer

Bermuda Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 106 - 20/05/2016 13:14:08    1856697

Link

Don't have a favourite nor is there anyone I go out of my way to avoid , its similar to Hoganstand people tend to enjoy the company of those with similar views , flattery loves company .
If I had to choose one columnist that I enjoy reading although not always agreeing with it would probably be Joe Brolly.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 20/05/2016 13:42:51    1856713

Link

Jim McGuinness does a decent write up with a modern awareness of the game.

Joe Brolly suits the tabloids, a lot of nonsense but entertaining nonetheless.

My least favourite is Benny Tierney, 70% about Armagh or reference to one of his 'oul mates' and very little of it relevant to todays game.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 20/05/2016 13:45:37    1856716

Link

I agree Admin, it would be great if this thread could be kept going over the whole summer and posters could mention, or post a link to, any articles that appeared which they found particularly good or interesting be in the national or their local press.

It would be really interesting to discuss and debate what comes up in the same and hopefully the WUM's will keep away.

I agree with a couple of the lads above, I always liked James Horan when he appears on Newstalk and think he could be an excellent column writer. Does he write for any of the Mayo papers?

A lot of people seem to like Jim McGuinness stuff in the Times. Personally, I was never bowled over by his column's. Too much of the ones I've read seem to come down to 'well I beat Dublin so I should know', but that's just my own opinion I'm sure others disagree.

I'm not sure if any posters on here will remember but Eamonn Fitzmaurice started writing for the Kerry's Eye and then the Examiner back around 2007. I thought his stuff was fantastic. One of the reasons Jack O'Connor brought him into the Kerry backroom set up was because of the quality of his columns. He had a brilliant insight into the game. I really hope when his done with Kerry he goes back to writing.

In the week of the 2009 All-Ireland final the Examiner got him to do a diary of the team's preparations. Part 1 was printed on the Saturday of the game and Part 2 on the Monday. It was incredible stuff. I remember reading it the day before the match and thinking is he has any sort of finger on the pulse Kerry will be unbeatable.

I can't find a link to it, but someone uploaded the first part in the Kerry GAA forum is anyone wants a look:

http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/2848/eamonn-fitzmaurices-diary

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts:1397 - 20/05/2016 09:37:52 1856587

Horan rights for The Star on a Saturday or Monday

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 20/05/2016 13:55:34    1856722

Link