National Forum

Use of Gumshields

(Oldest Posts First)

Is the wearing compulsory or not i wonder as i noticed yesterday in the Cavan v Tyrone game as some on the subs ran on to the field they tucked their gumshield into their sock. Also as players were being spoken to by the ref you could clearly see they were not wearing gumshields so the ref should have seen this too so are some refs being a little lenient?? in the Dublin v Kerry game by comparison all players seemed to be wearing theirs.
In one of our club games last year we had a player sent off because he wasn't wearing one so there's clearly no consistency....

justwondering (Meath) - Posts: 4 - 25/04/2016 20:28:44    1849472

Link

players hate wearing them, referee's hate dealing with them and turn a blind eye......
however, lose a tooth and Willis players ins will want to do why the referee didn't implement the rule!!!

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1671 - 25/04/2016 21:18:06    1849496

Link

AFAIK gumshields are mandatory for all male players, both adult and underage, and they will be compulsory for ladies footballers from 2017 onwards. However, in my experience referees have quite enough to do without having to check fellas mouths, and generally they are content to leave it up to the players (often a fella will roll it in to his sock, just in case).

I never wore one until they were made obligatory a couple of years back, and it drives me nuts, tbh, as I feel like I have to take it out to drain it every 30 seconds, and it's hard to run with it, feels unnatural.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 26/04/2016 10:21:39    1849552

Link

It's a yellow card offence for not having a gum shield and the player has to leave the field to get one. We had an U15 match recently and the ref gave out 3 x yellows and the lads had to go off and get them before being allowed back on. First time I'd heard of it happening at inter county level was during the Louth-Antrim match last Sat, saw it in some match report and then it was brought up on League Sunday.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 484 - 26/04/2016 10:28:43    1849559

Link

Ridiculous rule. Shame on Westport Gaa Club for proposing this pathetic rule. And shame on gaa for passing it through. You would swear the lads that make these rule never played ball in there lives. I never wear one and never will.

Pingcity (Longford) - Posts: 568 - 26/04/2016 10:57:37    1849587

Link

We've had a few incidents at Minor level in our club where lads didn't have their gum shields with them. They were told by the Ref to either get one or you're not playing, they had to borrow gum shields from the subs and were far from happy about that :) It was the last time any of the lads ever forgot them!

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 26/04/2016 11:11:18    1849593

Link

Once you get a proper fitted gumshield from the dentist they are fine to wear during a match. The cheap DIY ones are a generally terrible, they make it hard to run and breath.

ELB7 (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 26/04/2016 11:43:20    1849611

Link

I have wore a gumshield since I was 16. At that stage I was booted while on the ground and lost a tooth.
I got one made by the dentist and while it was expensive it lasted me 5 years (would have lasted longer but I had work done on my teeth so it no longer fitted).

With a proper gumshield it won't effect your breathing at all. it take a bit of getting use to talking with it but for alot of players that could be a good thing.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1209 - 26/04/2016 13:01:21    1849665

Link

Lads - the gum shield rule is as much about insurance as anything else.

Willis (Insurance) were paying a fortune for dental treatment claims.
This cost then gets passed back to the GAA (Clubs) via higher premiums.

The best solution is to introduce mandatory gum shields. (Or maybe make players who don't want to wear a gumshield sign a waiver form to say they wont look for compensation if their pearly whites end up scattered across the pitch)

I dont play anymore but I used to wear one, my uncle has clip in teeth after getting a bang in a game.
Anyway - I don't think its a stupid rule. Would clubs rather pay 10% - 15% more on top of already expensive insurance.

Cherno_Samba (Louth) - Posts: 632 - 26/04/2016 13:07:15    1849668

Link

Its not a yellow card offence , you receive a warning , then if failing to wear one you receive the yellow , players aren't covered in either training or matchs if failing to wear one , one in 20 refs implement and will stop the game if they are not being worn , have actually never seen a card for not wearing.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/04/2016 13:14:05    1849676

Link

Is the wearing compulsory or not i wonder as i noticed yesterday in the Cavan v Tyrone game as some on the subs ran on to the field they tucked their gumshield into their sock. Also as players were being spoken to by the ref you could clearly see they were not wearing gumshields so the ref should have seen this too so are some refs being a little lenient?? in the Dublin v Kerry game by comparison all players seemed to be wearing theirs.
In one of our club games last year we had a player sent off because he wasn't wearing one so there's clearly no consistency....
justwondering (Meath) - Posts:2 - 25/04/2016 20:28:44
I think all players should wear them but making it compulsory is very difficult as monitoring it is impossible. Very simple to just have it compulsory and if player doesn't wear it but gets hurt they cant claim compensation. Sure what's the alternative?

players hate wearing them, referee's hate dealing with them and turn a blind eye......
however, lose a tooth and Willis players ins will want to do why the referee didn't implement the rule!!!
cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts:1300 - 25/04/2016 21:18:06
If player got hurt it would be their own fault they didn't wear it not the referees.
AFAIK gumshields are mandatory for all male players, both adult and underage, and they will be compulsory for ladies footballers from 2017 onwards. However, in my experience referees have quite enough to do without having to check fellas mouths, and generally they are content to leave it up to the players (often a fella will roll it in to his sock, just in case).
I never wore one until they were made obligatory a couple of years back, and it drives me nuts, tbh, as I feel like I have to take it out to drain it every 30 seconds, and it's hard to run with it, feels unnatural.
Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts:689 - 26/04/2016 10:21:39
If you mould it correctly around your teeth you shouldn't have any issues with running and breathing... Referees in plenty of other sports check the players gear so GAA referees checking for a player using a gumshield isn't exactly unique or strange.

Ridiculous rule. Shame on Westport Gaa Club for proposing this pathetic rule. And shame on gaa for passing it through. You would swear the lads that make these rule never played ball in there lives. I never wear one and never will.
Pingcity (Longford) - Posts:419 - 26/04/2016 10:57:37
What a ridiculously over the top post. Why is there shame on Westport and the GAA for proposing and passing this ruling? Why is it such an issue that players are being protected from potential dentistry bills of thousands all for the sake of a €5 gumshield.

Once you get a proper fitted gumshield from the dentist they are fine to wear during a match. The cheap DIY ones are a generally terrible, they make it hard to run and breath.
ELB7 (Westmeath) - Posts:2 - 26/04/2016 11:43:20
The cheaper ones are not terrible if you mould it correctly prior to each use. Your teeth will move and they need constant remoulding. Always used the cheap ones bar when had specific one from orthodontist and never any problem in 15 years+ playing gaelic and rugby

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 26/04/2016 13:23:47    1849686

Link

ELB7 (Westmeath) - Posts:2 - 26/04/2016 11:43:20The cheaper ones are not terrible if you mould it correctly prior to each use. Your teeth will move and they need constant remoulding. Always used the cheap ones bar when had specific one from orthodontist and never any problem in 15 years+ playing gaelic and rugby
ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts:11130 - 26/04/2016 13:23:47 18496

I would not fancy constantly remoulding a gumshield prior to each. I have my dentist one for last two years wearing it for matches and training and it still fits perfectly. Well worth paying the extra money in my eyes

ELB7 (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 26/04/2016 15:16:32    1849744

Link

I would not fancy constantly remoulding a gumshield prior to each. I have my dentist one for last two years wearing it for matches and training and it still fits perfectly. Well worth paying the extra money in my eyes
ELB7 (Westmeath) - Posts:3 - 26/04/2016 15:16:32
You don't have to remould it before each and every session as that wouldn't be necessary but every so often if its affecting your breathing etc you can remould it. I wouldn't spend the extra money when the basic €3/5 gum shield is perfectly fine for the job

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 26/04/2016 20:59:34    1849907

Link

The onus is on players not the ref to ensure they're wearing gumshelds and that's the way it should be and I think it's only a booking if the player doesn't use one after getting told to do so by the ref

lillyboy (Kildare) - Posts: 429 - 27/04/2016 16:02:39    1850173

Link

If you mould it correctly around your teeth you shouldn't have any issues with running and breathing... Referees in plenty of other sports check the players gear so GAA referees checking for a player using a gumshield isn't exactly unique or strange.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts:11132 - 26/04/2016 13:23:47

Ormo, I've played other sports too and am aware of the protocols surrounding gumshields, piercings, the wearing of jewellery, studs etc. What I am saying is that in my almost 20 years playing gaelic games, I think that I have only been checked once for a gumshield by a referee (though one club I played for in the past insisted that all players wear them to training). Refs have a lot to do and a lot of them familiar to me don't check for them.

This is just another issue where insurance companies are being bothersome for the sake of it. If someone doesn't want to wear one, they shouldn't have to, provided that they're aware of the risks. Where I'm playing, we all have to sign an insurance-waiver before matches and tournaments anyway, indemnifying the GAA from any possible claims. How legally-admissable that is, I'm not sure ;)

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 27/04/2016 16:15:56    1850178

Link

they are compulsory and rightly so. It's laziness that players won't wear them and laziness of officials not to check.
I've seen club players sent to the side line for their gum shield.
I lost 3 teeth when I was playing.
They wear them in other sports such as rugby and boxing. The argument of they don't like wearing them or its a stupid rule is nonsense. It's stupid not to wear them, or are our players to hard or too cool to bother ?
Helmets in Hurling were made compulsory and they got on with. Same here. I wish I wore one all those years ago.

StirringIt (Cavan) - Posts: 374 - 27/04/2016 16:42:11    1850185

Link

Ormond, I've played other sports too and am aware of the protocols surrounding gumshields, piercings, the wearing of jewellery, studs etc. What I am saying is that in my almost 20 years playing gaelic games, I think that I have only been checked once for a gumshield by a referee (though one club I played for in the past insisted that all players wear them to training). Refs have a lot to do and a lot of them familiar to me don't check for them.
This is just another issue where insurance companies are being bothersome for the sake of it. If someone doesn't want to wear one, they shouldn't have to, provided that they're aware of the risks. Where I'm playing, we all have to sign an insurance-waiver before matches and tournaments anyway, indemnifying the GAA from any possible claims. How legally-admissable that is, I'm not sure ;)
Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts:694 - 27/04/2016 16:15:56
But when did the wearing of a gum-shield become compulsory so of course in 20 years or so you rarely would have been checked if you had one. In rugby it isn't compulsory but most will wear them. Referees will check players boots(stud length) before games as well as checking no illegal gear like strapping is correct etc
Refs do have a lot to do but checking players have all required gear should be part of their pre match routine.
It is very legally admissible.... if in conditions set down by a club that their insurance doesn't cover them if not wearing one and by paying club membership you are agreeing to rules of organisation....

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 27/04/2016 21:41:11    1850289

Link

But when did the wearing of a gum-shield become compulsory so of course in 20 years or so you rarely would have been checked if you had one. In rugby it isn't compulsory but most will wear them. Referees will check players boots(stud length) before games as well as checking no illegal gear like strapping is correct etc
Refs do have a lot to do but checking players have all required gear should be part of their pre match routine.
It is very legally admissible.... if in conditions set down by a club that their insurance doesn't cover them if not wearing one and by paying club membership you are agreeing to rules of organisation....

Admittedly, the gum shield rule only came in a couple of years ago, but GAA refs have never really been strict about checking for similar things like piercings, jewellery etc. in my experience.

I very much doubt that the insurance waiver is legally admissible, given: (1) I'm playing in several different countries, which have different legal systems, so what is obligatory in one jurisdiction may not apply in another; and (2) do you honestly think that if I fell onto a piece of glass that was left on a pitch, that a court would refuse my claim simply because I had signed an insurance waiver prior? Unlikely, IMO.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 28/04/2016 09:16:43    1850317

Link

Wasn't entirely clear on the rule so did a little digging and came up with the following:

Following the GAA's Annual Congress in April 2012 a new rule was enacted that made it mandatory to use a mouthguard in all Gaelic football matches and training sessions from January 1st 2013 (for all age grades up to and including minor) and at U21 and Adult level from January 1st 2014.

Q. What will happen if I am not wearing a mouthguard in a game?

A. If a player refuses to comply with a Referee's instruction to wear a mouth-guard, he will initially be cautioned by the Referee and if the player continues to refuse, the Referee can send him off.

Q. Who is responsible for ensuring mouthguards are worn at training or practice sessions?

A. It is a matter for each Club to ensure the rule is adhered to at training or practice sessions. Clubs and players should note that Players will not be covered under the player injury scheme if they are not wearing a mouthguard.

The following is the rule:

4.3 In all Football Games and Football Practice
Sessions it shall be mandatory for, and the
responsibility of , each individual player to use
a mouth guard.

It comes under dissent for failure to comply:

6.2 To fail to comply with a Referee's instruction to
use a mouth guard.
Penalty - Caution the offender; order off if
he persists.

The "order off" seems open to interpretation, does the player get a Red or a Black or does he just have to leave the field and get a mouth guard and then come back on.

In the Louth-Antrim match, the Louth player got a yellow, had to go off and get one and then came back on. Once on the pitch, he took the mouth guard out and stuffed it in his sock, so I suppose he'd get a 2nd yellow if the ref bothered to check again.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 484 - 28/04/2016 11:45:37    1850374

Link