National Forum

Paul Flynn

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This Dublin team is getting better and better.
But is one player getting left behind....my favorite Dublin player Paul Flynn

Hundreds and thousands of half forwards around the country excuse for not scoring is "oh but I play the Paul Galvin role". Well Paul Galvin used to score!
Paul Flynn , worked hard for the team, a great outlet for kickouts but also was creative and most importantly a deadly scoring threat.

He was very poor last year (very good final) and I thought he was one of Dublin's poorer players yesterday.
Just showed how good this Dublin team when their previously 2 best forwards (Flynn and Connoll) were not great and they won with comfort.

But is he on the wane, has the mileage clocked up catching up on him?

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 25/04/2016 18:17:15    1849398

Link

This Dublin team is getting better and better.

Hundreds and thousands of half forwards around the country excuse for not scoring is "oh but I play the Paul Galvin role". Well Paul Galvin used to score!
Paul Flynn , worked hard for the team, a great outlet for kickouts but also was creative and most importantly a deadly scoring threat.

He was very poor last year (very good final) and I thought he was one of Dublin's poorer players yesterday.
Just showed how good this Dublin team when their previously 2 best forwards (Flynn and Connoll) were not great and they won with comfort.

But is he on the wane, has the mileage clocked up catching up on him?
woops (Kerry) - Posts:1584 - 25/04/2016 18:17:15 1849398

By his own high standards I would say Flynn has probably not been as good over the last 12 months in the scoring department but still contributes greatly in the less glamorous aspects of play.Also, I think other players have improved greatly and are perhaps taking on some of the stuff Flynn was doing a couple of years ago.Kilkenny is now a serious player along with Fenton and Small too.Youth is having an impact and perhaps roles are slightly different since 2014.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 25/04/2016 19:09:24    1849426

Link

His role has changed in the team since 2014, he's become now moreover of the defensive system and shape, dropping back then in years pre 2015. I have memerios of goal line clearances, work rate and plugging gaps defensively in the last two seasons he's sacrificed his attacking game for the better balance of the team. It worries some of our fans can't see it and the role he plays in some of the criticism, I have seen of him recently.

As for yesterday, he was on the ball for the goal, at a vital time in the game, he owes Dublin nothing and very few players would have changed their role in the team as selflessly as Flynn has!

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 25/04/2016 19:39:24    1849440

Link

Played very well in the AI final but is on the wane is a little contradictory. Great player who I would want in the Dublin team when it comes to tight games in SFs or finals.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 25/04/2016 19:54:32    1849449

Link

Scored 1-1 yesterday FFS woops! I thought he had a mighty game tp be honest

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 25/04/2016 20:20:30    1849465

Link

It's called peaking at the right time. Come back in August and September when he's destroying defences.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 25/04/2016 20:49:42    1849482

Link

I believe that last years poor(ish) performances were more down to some stuff he's involved with outside of football that can only be described as a bit head wrecking. If he's gotten to grips with it, he has the talent/potential to be one of the best on that team.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 484 - 26/04/2016 10:39:03    1849568

Link

1-1 or not Liam I still think he had a poor enough game along with Connolly.
As I have said he is one of my favourite players but I just was interested if you(Dubs) thought he might be waning a bit!

Looks not from the Dubs perspective!

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 27/04/2016 10:35:03    1849990

Link

Paul had a poor year in 2015 by his, very high, standards.

However he still contributed a lot and rounded off the year with an excellent performance in the All-Ireland Final scoring two very important points when Dublin needed him most.

If that's him on the wane then so be it but a Paul Flynn on the wane is still a serious player imo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13705 - 27/04/2016 12:17:48    1850043

Link

I created this back in April and no Dub agreed with me then....
Personally i still think Paul Flynn best wing forward this decade is sadly on the wane and no longer deserves his starting place.

So Dubs do you still agree/disagree?

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 21/09/2016 17:23:30    1917582

Link

Has he really recovered from the injury? Has not been the same since

witnof (Dublin) - Posts: 1604 - 21/09/2016 17:44:55    1917596

Link

Replying To woops:  "This Dublin team is getting better and better.

But is he on the wane, has the mileage clocked up catching up on him?"
Should really be the Brian Dooher role though, as he was a better player in every imaginable way

Not to mention he beat him every time they played an important match

Dooher's scores were better, his temperament was worlds better, his leadership was better, his toughness was unparalleled, his fitness was better, Link play was always top notch, Galvin only got to win when Dooher wasn't there to ruin it for him.

Couldn't be the Galvin role considering Dooher was playing the role for Tyrone 2-3 years before Galvin became a senior

Seansy48 (Tyrone) - Posts: 237 - 21/09/2016 18:01:43    1917605

Link

Replying To Seansy48:  "Should really be the Brian Dooher role though, as he was a better player in every imaginable way

Dooher's scores were better, his temperament was worlds better, his leadership was better, his toughness was unparalleled, his fitness was better, Link play was always top notch, Galvin only got to win when Dooher wasn't there to ruin it for him.

Couldn't be the Galvin role considering Dooher was playing the role for Tyrone 2-3 years before Galvin became a senior"
Oh you'll catch a few with that one!

Dooher and Galvin had different roles.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5010 - 21/09/2016 18:06:32    1917607

Link

Flynn no doubt is not the player he was but, for the half foward sweeper type role he now plays we still have no one better. His last great game was the debacle v donegal 2 years back. We totally changed our game since then and so his role has changed. He does not score freely anymore as he is not asked to anymore. He still plays for me. The one i would drop is.... Cant believe i am saying this, bernard brogan

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 21/09/2016 18:32:48    1917621

Link

Btw any footballer asked to do ads from now on should say no!! From Paul Flynn to James o donoghue to Joe Harte or Iker Cassilas.... Its like a feckin curse!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 21/09/2016 18:34:31    1917622

Link

Replying To Seansy48:  "Should really be the Brian Dooher role though, as he was a better player in every imaginable way

Couldn't be the Galvin role considering Dooher was playing the role for Tyrone 2-3 years before Galvin became a senior"
Great Post

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/09/2016 18:50:31    1917634

Link

Great Post

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/09/2016 18:50:32    1917635

Link

Replying To woops:  "I created this back in April and no Dub agreed with me then....
Personally i still think Paul Flynn best wing forward this decade is sadly on the wane and no longer deserves his starting place.

So Dubs do you still agree/disagree?"
I posted a response to a similar thread on the Dublin page and I feel Flynn is getting a little bit of unfair bad press after Sunday. Had it not been for the selfishness of Rock in the 20min, Brogan in the 58 min and O Gara at the very hand, Flynn could well have scored at least 3 points and possibly a goal or two. As I said on the other thread, this Dublin forward line are all looking over their shoulders at the sideline due to the exceptional talent available to Jim Gavin from the bench. Also, as another poster said, Fenton and Kilkenny are doing more of the leg work Flynn was doing in the past but neither of them have that quick diagonal ball in their locker that Flynn has and Brogan thrives on. The Dublin forward lines pre 2011 had that selfishness too and look where it got Dublin. I feel Dublin need to go back to the team ethic that won them 3 All Irelands and weed out the selfishness, for the good of the team.

dully83 (Dublin) - Posts: 9 - 21/09/2016 18:51:08    1917636

Link

Replying To woops:  "This Dublin team is getting better and better.

But is he on the wane, has the mileage clocked up catching up on him?"
Paul Flynn from 2011 - 2014 didn't have a bad game in those 4 years.In 2 of the last 3 games for Dublin last year he was outstanding despite being quiet before that.He won 4 all stars in a row for good reason.

It's pure nonsense about him not getting scores and then comparing him unfavorably to Paul Galvin he always chips in with a few scores and here are his scoring stats compared to Galvin

Paul Galvin: 52 Games, Scores: 1-49
Paul Flynn: 35 Games, Scores: 3-33

Flynn averages slightly more points per game than Paul Galvin did across his career and has the added bonus of not being liability at times for disciplinary reasons.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 25/09/2016 11:29:23    1918849

Link

Replying To uibhfhaili1986:  "Paul Flynn from 2011 - 2014 didn't have a bad game in those 4 years.In 2 of the last 3 games for Dublin last year he was outstanding despite being quiet before that.He won 4 all stars in a row for good reason.

It's pure nonsense about him not getting scores and then comparing him unfavorably to Paul Galvin he always chips in with a few scores and here are his scoring stats compared to Galvin

Paul Galvin: 52 Games, Scores: 1-49
Paul Flynn: 35 Games, Scores: 3-33

Flynn averages slightly more points per game than Paul Galvin did across his career and has the added bonus of not being liability at times for disciplinary reasons."
Paul Galvin scored 1-51 in 58 Championship games. Paul Flynn scored 5-42 in 47 Championship games.

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 25/09/2016 12:34:33    1918872

Link