National Forum

This weekend's Ring/Rackard/Meagher games

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How do people see the first round games going? Could Kildare get a result against Antrim? If all other things were equal, I wouldn't have thought so. But with the events in Antrim in the last few weeks/months, its hard to rule it out. Also, I've seen that game scheduled for Parnell Park, is that right? These competitions are starting earlier this year, and getting little fanfare as per.
Anyway, here's my lame attempt at predictions, I'll probably be way off:

Christy Ring Cup round 1
Antrim v Kildare: Antrim
Down v London: London
Meath v Wicklow: Meath
Roscommon v Derry: Roscommon

Nicky Rackard Cup round 1
Fermanagh v Monaghan: Monaghan
Armagh v Donegal: Armagh
Tyrone v Mayo: Mayo
Fingal v Longford: Longford

Lory Meagher Cup round 1
Leitrim v Warwickshire: Warwickshire
Louth v Sligo: Louth

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 22/04/2016 16:47:33    1848318

Link

Marlon,

I'd agree with all your choices except I think Derry will beat Roscommon & Fingal will beat my own county.

I wonder why they brought forward the timing of these competitions? Strange venue choice for Antrim V Kildare?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/04/2016 17:19:07    1848326

Link

keeper7

I'm not sure, the finals are still on at the same date, essentially. You just now have a 2 weeks gap between the quarter-finals and semi-finals, May14th/15th is kept free. The preliminary rounds of the Ulster and Leinster football championships are on May 14th/15th, that may have something to do with it

As for the venue, apparently it was originally scheduled for Ballycastle, but I've read that Antrim gave up home advantage as the footballers are playing in the division 4 final in Croke Park later that day.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 22/04/2016 18:48:53    1848346

Link

As part of a review into the competitions, many players and managers involved were in favour of an extra week from start to finish. For the finals to remain in Croke Park as per the wishes of the players involved, the start of the competitions had to be brought forward a week. It is all about compromise.

In my own humble opinion, the Ring finalists should enter the McCarthy qualifier rounds but that's a discussion for another day. It's the first time in years that I have not been keeping too close an eye on the fixtures. It might only be for a year.

The Ring is a decent competition. Any of the teams on their day can beat the other.

Prediction for this weekend:
Antrim win
Down win
Derry win
Meath win

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 22/04/2016 19:57:41    1848371

Link

Yeah, on the Roscommon v Derry match, I was probably letting league form cloud my judgement. Roscommon had a great league, winning 6 games out of 6 (3A rounds and final), and then beating Donegal to get promoted. So 7 wins on the trot. Derry had a pretty miserable league run, losing all their games. But Derry are/were in a league 2 divisions above Roscommon, that will probably count.
Its also interesting, as they both had good championships last year. Roscommon seem to have serious momentum though, especially after winning Rackard AND winning promotion last summer (I could be wrong, but I don't think they've lost a competitive match, league or championship, since March 2015!). that said, Derry made the Ring final last year.

Anyway, very interesting games I think. I just wish they were being shown on gaago.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 22/04/2016 20:57:58    1848392

Link

Anyway, very interesting games I think. I just wish they were being shown on gaago.
Marlon_JD

The attendances aren't here for these games. It is a shame but it is the way it is. It is part of my suggestion for the Ring finalists to enter the McCarthy qualifier rounds after the provincial quarter-finals. The timescale already fits for it to happen with the Ring final being played so early in June. It will raise the profile of the Ring competition.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 22/04/2016 21:43:12    1848408

Link

I see our own club has a challenge match organised with a Donegal side before the Rackard game in Armagh today.
Great to see this sort of relationship develop, as the same was done last year and if nothing else adds to the attendance for the game.

armagh_chc (Armagh) - Posts: 6 - 23/04/2016 09:55:27    1848428

Link

Marlon,

"I'm not sure, the finals are still on at the same date, essentially. You just now have a 2 weeks gap between the quarter-finals and semi-finals, May14th/15th is kept free. The preliminary rounds of the Ulster and Leinster football championships are on May 14th/15th, that may have something to do with it

As for the venue, apparently it was originally scheduled for Ballycastle, but I've read that Antrim gave up home advantage as the footballers are playing in the division 4 final in Croke Park later that day."

Thanks for that. Makes sense, I guess.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/04/2016 10:34:22    1848435

Link

To be fait it does make really good sense, and fair play to Antrim agreeing to it as well which I presume they did. Good to see sensible decisions like that to help promote the games.
Last year Sligo played Fermanagh in a group game 7 days before they played each other again in the Meagher final in Croke Park. Starting a week earlier this year allows teams to have the weekend before the finals free to prepare and also gives supporters a better chance to arrange a trip to Dublin.
And congress passed a motion this year allowing the Ring winners enter the Leinster championship at quarter-final stage from next season.
All of this, along with the new competition for 16/17 year olds, shows efforts are being made to support the game in weaker counties but it will take many, many years to turn things around.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 23/04/2016 13:17:49    1848465

Link

I'd go along with those assertions, Soma. People are quick to comment on the Kilkenny football situation but the reality is that if the powers-that-be at local level haven't the wit or imagination to try to give the weaker code in a given county a chance then you can't force them to do it. You have to incentivise it or embarrass them into it...or both!

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/04/2016 14:17:20    1848480

Link

Very comfortable win for Antrim in Parnell Park! Can they do the double in Croker?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/04/2016 15:01:57    1848488

Link

London 2.17 Down 2.12

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/04/2016 16:26:47    1848498

Link

Here's a surprise, Marlon: Roscommon 2-20 Derry 0-15, Athleague - FT

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/04/2016 17:21:12    1848510

Link

keeper7 (Longford)
Here's a surprise, Marlon: Roscommon 2-20 Derry 0-15, Athleague - FT

Yep, just saw that, that's a big result. At the outset, I would have picked Antrim or London as favourites, but do Roscommon have a realistic chance of winning Ring? Unbeaten in over a year, and have just beaten last years Ring finalists by 11 points, they look impressive.

In the Rackard, looks like Mayo are going to set the pace (a 14 point win over Tyrone), I'd imagine it will be between them and Armagh. It saddens me a bit to see Tyrone ship a beating like that. They made great strides over the last few years, but it looks like they might be slipping back.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 23/04/2016 17:51:41    1848513

Link

Soma (UK)
And congress passed a motion this year allowing the Ring winners enter the Leinster championship at quarter-final stage from next season.

I remember this motion coming up, but I thought it might have been struck out of order, as the championship structure had been voted on the day before. It was a very strange sequence of events, legendzxix had a thread on here about it (link). I wonder if it will actually get implemented? I have a feeling it won't, but its very hard to know at this stage.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 23/04/2016 21:46:44    1848579

Link

Antrim are the team to beat no doubt. London look to be their nearest challengers.

Roscommon have had a great year so far. They won 3A and then a playoff to get promoted.

Last year they won the Rackard and then a playoff to earn promotion to the Ring.

The Round 1 winners from yesterday are guaranteed Ring status for next year. That would have been Roscommon's main priority. They have achieved their 3 targets for the year. They are guaranteed at least 2 more games. They are in bonus territory.

It would be ridiculous for the Ring winners to enter the Leinster quarter-finals ahead of 2 teams of the qualifier group. My simple solution is to allow provincial quarterfinal losers to take on the next 4 teams in the championship pecking order in a Round 1 knockout qualifier.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7822 - 24/04/2016 13:03:13    1848654

Link

Sunday 1 May

Leinster SHC round 1
Kerry v Carlow, Austin Stack Park, 1pm
Westmeath v Offaly, Cusack Park, 3pm

Christy Ring Cup round 2A
London v Meath, Ruislip, 12.30pm

Saturday 30 April

Antrim v Roscommon, Dunloy, 3.30pm

Christy Ring Cup round 2B
Derry v Down, Owenbeg, 2pm
Wicklow v Kildare, Arklow, 3.30pm

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2A
Mayo v Armagh, Ballina, 1.30pm
Monaghan v Fingal, Castleblayney, 2pm

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2B
Donegal v Fermanagh, Letterkenny, 2pm
Longford v Tyrone, Pearse Park, 3.30pm

Lory Meagher Cup round 2
Warwickshire v Louth, Pairc na hEireann, 11.45am
Lancashire v Leitrim, Pairc na hEireann, 2pm

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 29/04/2016 18:10:20    1850761

Link

Kerry v Carlow, Kerry by 6
Westmeath v Offaly, Offaly by 7

London v Meath, London by 3
Antrim v Roscommon, Antrim by 25

Christy Ring Cup round 2B
Derry v Down, Derry by 2
Wicklow v Kildare, Kildare by 10

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2A
Mayo v Armagh, Armagh by 4
Monaghan v Fingal, Fingal by 4

Nicky Rackard Cup round 2B
Donegal v Fermanagh, Donegal by 14
Longford v Tyrone, Tyrone by 12

Lory Meagher Cup round 2
Warwickshire v Louth, Louth by 11
Lancashire v Leitrim, Leitrim by 6

KYTitletown (Kerry) - Posts: 816 - 29/04/2016 20:51:19    1850801

Link

Where can you get blow by blow accounts of all the hurling matches. Hoganstand Match Tracker does it for all the football whether it's a championship match between two Division 4 teams or not.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 30/04/2016 12:11:58    1850864

Link

Marlon: Tyrone have slipped back due to a falling out between the Dungannon Hurling Club and County Board over the way the county final was handled. If they had all the guys playing they would be favourites, no doubt in my mind.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 30/04/2016 12:23:05    1850866

Link