National Forum

Joe Brolly and Kerry.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I have read Brolly's article in todays newspaper and I could not agree more. It is not fashionable for the Kingdom to praise Donaghy as their best and most influential player of this generation. But actually when you look at the facts he saved them from 06 onwards despite some big defeats. In 20 years they will talk about how great others were but for Donaghy this would have been a tough 10 years for Kerry. There is no tactical masterclass or great skillful players... Donaghy has carried his county at a time others could not cope with a battle.

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 27/09/2015 17:44:06    1792758

Link

http://indo.ie/SIvLJ

Complete bs from Brolly absolute rubbish. Gooch is the greatest forward of all time.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 27/09/2015 18:08:37    1792764

Link

He's spot on and I made this point during the Tyrone/Kerry era. Cooper is a wonderfully talented footballer with great skill BUT if you put him off his game or physically intimidate him on the pitch he has a tendency to drift out of games. Also when he struggles Kerry struggle and we seen that last week. He didn't get a kick against McMahon who sat on him the entire game and annoyed the hell out of him. Gooch wouldn't be one for the dirty, grimey mud and hell of the trenches.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 27/09/2015 19:59:05    1792800

Link

No he is not Clondalkin.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 27/09/2015 20:14:58    1792804

Link

Ulsterman,,,,, seriously pal your from Antrim stick to the hurling !!!!

topdownfan (Down) - Posts: 555 - 27/09/2015 20:27:23    1792810

Link

Gooch always gets the credit but Donaghy is the man. Gooch is brilliant if you stand back and admire him but put Joe Mc Mahon on him and hes just an ordinary forward. Donaghy is a much harder man to mark and that's the hallmark of a real forward. Wonder why Donaghy dosent get the credit. Is it because hes not a full blooded Kerryman.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 27/09/2015 20:29:59    1792812

Link

Topdown. I am not a Michelin trained Chef either but I know the food I like. Don't patronise please.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 27/09/2015 20:35:50    1792815

Link

Are posters really judging the greatest forward to have lived on last Sunday's performance? Surely any gaa man with a little bit of football knowledge knows that's he's not the same player who terrorised defences for the last decade? the man is 32 and after coming back from a honorific injury he might still have something to offer Kerry but will never be the great player he use to be. Why isn't he the greatest cause Joe said so ?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 27/09/2015 20:52:32    1792822

Link

To me K.D is the best Kerry player of his generation.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2519 - 27/09/2015 21:18:35    1792835

Link

Ulsterman
I bet the food you like is chips with lot of vinegar :-o

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 27/09/2015 21:18:43    1792837

Link

I'm not basing anything on one game of Football - to do so would be foolish. Just don't think he is the greatest Footballer of all time.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 27/09/2015 21:25:39    1792841

Link

seriously pal your from Antrim stick to the hurling !!!!

Ha, listen to yer Down wan.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 27/09/2015 21:28:57    1792844

Link

Correction: Forward - not footballer

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 27/09/2015 21:33:03    1792845

Link

Yes he is one of the greatest forwards to play the game
Yes he has had quiet enough games in tight affairs
Still love him though

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 1363 - 27/09/2015 21:37:01    1792847

Link

Its not the first time that one of the finest forwards of this era has been subjected to unfair and personal criticism from a Sunday Game pundit ( "a choker"/"two trick pony" etc) Prominent pundits have the luxury of a follow up newspaper article to retract, deny, clarify or put a spin on what they said. Recall when fair minded fans objected to Gooch being unfairly labelled in 2014 the pundit in a pathetic attempt to nullify his comments devoted a page of his tabloid article next day of instances where he heaped faint praise on Colm .. in reality it was the same sentence rewritten in different ways.
Todays article is just a re hash of a similar opinion which floated like a lead balloon last time. When challenged especially by Pat Spillane the main defence was one of denial (its still on U tube). The only difference today is that the timing is more opportunistic with Kerry having just lost a final after playing poorly with poor Colm obviously not fully recovered from a horrific injury .. he was not in fairness the only Kerry player to play below par last Sunday.
All this will no doubt remind Donegal fans of how a Sunday tabloid journalist rewrote a critical article 6-7 times on Jim McGuinness repeating the same five to six personal negatives which included "colour of gear worn" to how he" took no action to stop elements of the media from praising him" .. hilarious ! .. the last rehash of this article appeared a week after JMcG retired having just lost an AI final ..

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 506 - 27/09/2015 21:37:30    1792849

Link

Ulsterman
Also when he struggles Kerry struggle and we seen that last week.

Considering he has won more All-Irelands in his career than 7 of the 9 Ulster counties have in the history of gaelic football, id suggest you have paid a fine compliment to the Gooch with that statement. Though the fact Kerry won the All-Ireland last year without him probably means it is another bit of nonsense.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 27/09/2015 21:45:48    1792850

Link

Brolly's obsession with Donaghy is nauseating. I don't know how many times he said the word 'Star' last Sunday but to dedicate so much air time to a player who had very little say in the game from the bench was a bit ridiculous. I think he's a decent player but I've seen him marked out of games as many or more times than Gooch and indeed other Kerry forwards. The very reason he didn't start the final was because he didn't get a smell against Tyrone in the semi and was subbed by half time.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 28/09/2015 09:20:18    1792891

Link

Since the gooch started playing with Kerry he has consistently performed at a high level..not sure what his average score is but I would suggest its close to 6 points a game.

Posters on here doubting his abilties must really have no appreciation for the skills of the game if they are doubting the Gooch or simply just dont like who he plays for. With Kerry he has been fortunate to play in so many big games and of course people can nitpick when he doesnt perform in the odd game.

We seen it with Dublin after their deserved win last week with people coming up with excuses for their success.

Regarding this years final I dont think any of the big scoring forwards played to their potential with O Donoghue, Gooch, Geaney, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan all not playing as well as we have seen so I dont think its fair to single out the gooch.

Kerry fans fully know the contribution he has made to the county for well over ten years and it was years ago when we have stopped taking Brolly seriously.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 898 - 28/09/2015 09:23:35    1792892

Link

KY4SAM2015
County: Kerry

Since the gooch started playing with Kerry he has consistently performed at a high level..not sure what his average score is but I would suggest its close to 6 points a game.

Posters on here doubting his abilties must really have no appreciation for the skills of the game if they are doubting the Gooch or simply just dont like who he plays for. With Kerry he has been fortunate to play in so many big games and of course people can nitpick when he doesnt perform in the odd game.

We seen it with Dublin after their deserved win last week with people coming up with excuses for their success.

Regarding this years final I dont think any of the big scoring forwards played to their potential with O Donoghue, Gooch, Geaney, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan all not playing as well as we have seen so I dont think its fair to single out the gooch.

Kerry fans fully know the contribution he has made to the county for well over ten years and it was years ago when we have stopped taking Brolly seriously.

Well said. Just because he didn't play that well last Sunday doesn't mean he isn't a great forward. The man has come back from a Cruciate Ligament injury aswell.

rebeltrev (Cork) - Posts: 344 - 28/09/2015 09:34:10    1792896

Link

Soma
County: UK

1792850 Ulsterman
Also when he struggles Kerry struggle and we seen that last week.
Considering he has won more All-Irelands in his career than 7 of the 9 Ulster counties have in the history of gaelic football, id suggest you have paid a fine compliment to the Gooch with that statement. Though the fact Kerry won the All-Ireland last year without him probably means it is another bit of nonsense.

You are obsessed with relating everything, literally everything back to Ulster. It's an incredibly juvenile attitude to discussion.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12120 - 28/09/2015 10:10:11    1792913

Link