National Forum

An honest view

(Oldest Posts First)

Just logging on here....can see alot of crap being written. Look it I thought we were gone. dead and buried. Really proud the team never gave up. The atmosphere and noise in those last 10 mins was something I have never experienced. We only really played for the last 10, where was Barry Moran up until then. We only scored 2 from play up until the 61st minute. We really did get outa jail. Dublin were home an hosed but we live to fight another day.....a bit like what Kerry done to us last year.

As for off the ball stuff.....yeah BOTH teams at it. I agree if it was two northern teams the uproar would be deafening but there you go. The stakes were high....I think the extra game will do both teams good....whoever comes through. I don't believe we can play as bad again and Dublin will feel they have plenty of room for improvement too.

P.S Cillian to stick that penalty....on front of a full house against the best keeper ever, 4 points down, ice cool....god my heart. Also well done to both sets of fans for the 13th minute applause.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 31/08/2015 09:40:35    1778551

Link

Good post, people tend to forget there was a huge game on, with an incredibly exciting/tension filled finale for both sets of fans and a re-run to boot!! Dubs fell apart as cards took their toll but Mayo took their scores really well at the death. High drama what more do you want!

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4896 - 31/08/2015 10:06:11    1778596

Link

And fair play to yew tree for pointing out how little mayo scored from play which has to be a worry. This was somewhat masked by their comeback in last 10 mins. However on the flip side they didn't have wodry about scoring from play cos of our perceived fouling. Not sure my heart can take another 70 plus minutes!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 31/08/2015 10:13:05    1778611

Link

Dont agree.I think the Sunday Game were quite fair in their assessment of the game.Players were pulled up,all incidents of note highlighted.It was described as cynical and niggly.If it was an Ulster Game,it would have received the same treatment.
Since the penalty spot was moved forward,the advantage now lies fully with the forward.As it should do.I dont remember many penalties being missed since the new ruling brought in and i wasn't surprised when both were clinically dispatched yesterday.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 31/08/2015 10:16:24    1778622

Link

It was something else yt. It took some guts. When you consider he put in, probably he worst ever performance for mayo in his last game, you have to give him credit.

You are right about the game also, there was a lot of stuff going on. There was a lot of guys worked up, Connolly and McMahon in particular. I thought gavin should have taken McMahon off, he seemed to have lost his head a bit. The headbutt incident, the pretending to be injured for about 5 minutes and then the crazy tackle for the penalty.

It is getting a lot of bad press, mostly deserved, but Id just like to point out that while it was nasty, there was a few good things in this game also. The tackling. O'Connor from dead balls. Alan brogan's point. Fitzsimons dispossession of O'Connor. The dubs intelligent utilisation of the backpass. McCaffrey v Diarmuid O'Connor. Andy Moran stepping up to kick two massive points after two bad misses. The character of the Mayo players.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 31/08/2015 10:16:50    1778623

Link

Agree with you yew tree, I thought we were finished, when Dublin scored that 2nd goal and tagged over the few extra points it showed us what the real Dublin are like attacking wise but the game turned on 1 incident after Cluxton missed his 1st free he was called forward for another free but he waved no and refused then Connolly took it and scored a great point, Cluxton was rattled confidence was gone, he messed up with a few kickouts and then missed 2 more frees, if Dean Rock was still on the pitch he would have scored at least 2 of those missed frees and we would be out. In my opinion the ref had an awful poor game, to me he gave soft frees to Dublin in the 1st half all 1 way, in the 2nd he was more 50/50 but that still meant soft frees to each side. MD McCauley should not have got a black card he done nothing wrong, Bastick is 50/50 was it deliberate it so correct call if not wrong call, Connolly straight red correct he punched end of story if it was just a wrestle on the ground yellow to both he and Keegan would be enough. Philly McMahon is the one I would be most worried if I were him, an attempted headbutt is a straight red and maybe an 8 week ban, he also appeared to punch something when Mayo penalty was given either he punched Boyle or he punched the ground, it wasn't a great game too much cynical off the ball incidents by both teams, ref should have dished out cards at the start to warn players this nonsense won't be allowed

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 31/08/2015 10:18:16    1778626

Link

Mcmenamin took double hop for one his points it was missed by Sunday game was sure mc stay would have seen it. He fairly sowed it to Connelly and McMahon

Reco (Meath) - Posts: 419 - 31/08/2015 10:20:38    1778632

Link

May I also add on would would have bee a difficult day for him in loosing his former teammate, Diarmuid O Connor was excellent, a real workhorse, ran all day.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 31/08/2015 10:26:00    1778639

Link

Reco - I agree with you but McStay I would add is blinkered when he is dealing with his own county and I would expect no more -his analysis is mostly very poor and could be given by any good 16 year old-moo

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 31/08/2015 10:29:13    1778646

Link

Both teams too wound up yesterday, neither played anywhere near their potential. This all encompassing fear of losing possession is very hard to watch. Were it not for the last 10-15mins, it'd be a totally forgettable game, as poor as any match all year.
As the Master said, some good aspects yesterday, unfortunately they're overshadowed by the continuous needle that both sides were at, also poor ref performance.
Hopefully both sides can give us a replay to remember. My fear here is that both these teams may take a serious dislike to each other and we'll end up with another ultra negative, cynical game.
As for the next day, Mayo need to remember that AOS is only one man and if you're goin' to pump in high ball, you'd better have someone there to help out. Where were the rest of the Mayo forwards for the first 55mins yesterday? Dublin need to get their discipline issues sorted, lots of good tackling mixed with some very juvenile stuff that gave a disjointed feel to it.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 484 - 31/08/2015 10:48:42    1778696

Link

Haven't read through the threads but here's my view on a lot of the incidents etc from yesterday.

Cluxton - can't think of a top player having as big a mare in a big game to be honest. Could've seen red for the petulant kick on O'Shea at the start. Brainless and I don't think he ever settled maybe because of it.

Mc Mahon - Crazy performance. Could get suspended for the head-butt/attempted head-butt. Giving away the penalty was also brainless, the situation was under control and he lunges across Boyle. Could also get suspended for the punches he gives Boyle on the ground after the ball is gone. Also the dive and lengthy treatment was a but cringe, although the Dubs were trying to kill the game so maybe he was kinda under orders.

Cooper - Should've got red for the tackle on O'Connor.

O'Sullivan - Should've got a yellow for the jersey pull and should've got a black for the third man tackle.

MDMA - In fairness is looked like a black card in real time but on the replay it clearly wasn't even a free as he is only tackling the ball.

Bastick - Clear black card for an intentional foot trip.

Connolly - Feel sorry for him really, was targeted and any incident involving Lee Keegan is never clearcut. He did throw a punch and that's a red and a ban but then there's there's precedent with the Keane farce from the q/f.

C O'Connor - The injury to O'Carroll was either intentional or seriously, seriously reckless, which could see him get a ban. There was more to it than O'Carroll simply pulling his jersey I believe.

Keegan - Always get himself involved in unnecessary stuff. Very hard to like.

A O'Shea - Not as effective as recent performances so defaulted to his ploy of seeking out contact and falling over theatrically. Met his match in Bastick on one occasion. Would like to see that collision again.

Sledging - was an awful lot of it going on from both sides.

I actually think Joe McQuillan had a decent enough game all things considered.

Overall, Dublin had some good performances in Kilkenny and Andrews 1st half, Bastick briefly, Flynn, Menton, Brogan and McCaffrey. For Mayo both O'Connors, Parsons, Boyle and eventually A Moran did well.

As good as Mayo were to come back and level it, I can't help but think that if Moran hadn't made such a mess of the goal chance and O'Connor's wide shortly after(?) that it could've been a Dublin collapse similar to last-years semi. Worrying for Dublin but I still can't see Mayo being clinical enough in the replay.

Entertaining game all the same.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 31/08/2015 11:08:22    1778730

Link

My two cents...

An intriguing match in the end despite a poor enough first half. I thought Mayo were gone but you have to commend their character in fighting back and forcing the draw. One thing that struck me about their win over Donegal was their composure. They looked at all times to know what they were doing, got their tactics right and beat us comfortably in the end. Watching the first passage of play yesterday I thought to myself, "Yes - this Mayo team mean business" They kept the ball remarkably well, recycled it to Aiden O'Shea who then kicked a beautiful cross field pass to the unmarked Keegan who slotted over easily.

But after this though they sort of lost their way a bit. The long, high ball to O'Shea was coming in too straight, it needed to be coming in diagonally to him so that he could offload quickly to support players. As it was, he was doing well to win possession but was getting bottled up. But for O'Connor's free-taking expertise Mayo could have been in bother.

Cluxton - for a player of his experience he can be extremely rash at times. The kick out at O'Shea was petulant and silly. There seemed to be confusion as to his free-taking duties and when he did come up he didn't look as assured as he has done in the past.

Connolly - while obviously being provoked all game by Keegan he was silly lashing out like he did. As Darragh O'Sé said earlier in the summer, "you'd still pull his tail to see if he'd turn around and hiss at you". Keegan proved that point yesterday.

McMahon - ridiculous behaviour yesterday between the headbutt and feigning injury. I think he had the head lost when Mayo were coming back. Colm Boyle was going nowhere. All he had to do was bottle him up like the other Dublin defenders were doing but instead he stupidly lunged in. Madness.

O'Connor - surely the best free-taker in Ireland? Complete composure yesterday in extremely nervy circumstances. It was a dirty enough stroke on O'Carroll though. He may have been trying to free himself but from the damage done to the Dublin full back, he must have caught him a right good belt.

Keegan - he was at the needle all day long and apart from his early score didn't offer as much to Mayo as he usually does. I think he needs to cut out the BS the next day.

Shot selection - When Mayo were 1 point down earli in the second hald they were dominating possession but as we've seen from them in the past they lacked composure. There were some awful wides and efforts dropped short. For their sake they'll need to improve on this the next day/

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 31/08/2015 14:48:12    1779048

Link

I've seen a lot of comment about Mayo's scores from play but I honestly thought watching it they were constantly stopped illegally when they had moves on that would have resulted in a point and at one stage in the first half they were in for a goal before a fella was dragged to the ground. They turned over the ball on the Dublin 45 and 4 of them were sprinting at the full back line when the Dub pulled at I think it was Diarmuid O'Connor's jersey, I remember it because it aws the first time I realised a jersey pull isn't a black card. Madness really, the situation should be punished not the action. Anyway point being, I think Mayo's scores from play would have looked a lot healthier if not for all the frees - the two stats go hand in hand in my opinion. The dubs will have to be disappointed with their discipline in the tackle, very reckless I felt and then when a foul was given, the mouthing off to the ref was deservedly punished.

As for all the other stuff... both teams were at it and there has to be more protection for players with off the ball stuff. I didn't see any of it but I've no doubt Connolly was getting a load of abuse all day long, you could tell as well the Dubs were fired up to try and get at O'Shea, laughing in his face when he was called for over carrying. Was really nasty to watch but it happens in a big game at times, teams get caught up in stopping the opposition or "squaring up" rather than focussing on their own football.

No team in Ireland are saints in this regard so just like the hysteria after Tyrone, it's a bit silly to read the sensationalism at the minute. The disappointing thing from my own perspective is I felt both teams were capable of putting on a real show football wise and were well matched all over the pitch. It didn't happen and I think there's too much nastiness left over, it will be just as bad the next day.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 31/08/2015 15:40:14    1779109

Link

'Character' is just a 'pat on the back' word!
I dont know what victory folks think is won by showing great 'character'.....and mayo should know that more than most!!!

The next day out will see both teams play the cleanest game of football ever played.
I also couldnt care less if half the Dublin team is suspended as others will just have to come in and do the job instead and I expect the same from them or they have no place being on the panel.

Also, like another Dublin poster mentioned....I am more confident of a Dublin win next week than I was yesterday.....and that includes any suspensions/injuries!

And as ever with Dublin, our fouling seen us 'beat ourselves' again!.....We bring it all on ourselves!.....No excuses!

P.S. As ever.....you dont see the Dublin players 'crying foul' to the media!
As O'Rourke once said, with the Dubs "its no quarter asked, or given, just get on with it"!!!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 31/08/2015 16:07:33    1779136

Link

Lockjaw, O'Connor - surely the best free-taker in Ireland? Complete composure yesterday in extremely nervy circumstances. It was a dirty enough stroke on O'Carroll though. He may have been trying to free himself but from the damage done to the Dublin full back, he must have caught him a right good belt.

Keegan - he was at the needle all day long and apart from his early score didn't offer as much to Mayo as he usually does. I think he needs to cut out the BS the next day.

Very good summing up. O Connor was deadly from frees but again we are talking about him and his discipline and as for Keegan the guy is a joke, he was at the same thing in Pearse Stadium this year and was red carded and got a red card last year as well. He really needs to caut that rubbish out of his game..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 31/08/2015 16:13:16    1779145

Link

Belclare - Lundy gave as good as he got that day and Keegan put him in his box. You need players like that on team...sadly. Mayo have been harassed for years and mocked for not having a guy to master the dark arts.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 31/08/2015 16:28:01    1779170

Link

theres a good bit of footage of all the contentious incidents on live gaelic.com connolly was being stopped making a run by keegan..they both fell to the ground keegan was obstruction connlooy for sure..who can blame him for trying to free himself?

kavvie (Clare) - Posts: 505 - 31/08/2015 16:30:21    1779172

Link

Yeah you need a bit of rough to go with the smooth. I'm not saying Keegan should become an angel or anything. It just looked to me like he was concentrating too much on negating Connolly's influence by fair means or foul, rather than expressing his own considerable talents.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 31/08/2015 16:53:10    1779201

Link