National Forum

Niall Morgan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

2 things

1. who told him to come up and take that free??
2. if he was brought up, surely it was to have a go? If Tyrone were just gonna lob in into the square, there was no need to bring him up.
As it drifts wide cavanagh and mcaliskey can clearly be seen bitching about the free, but u cant blame a fella for missing a long range free, the problem was him taking the shot on atall. That was the crazy part. Poor as he is/was, that wasnt his fault

ps - can the comparisons to Cluxton stop now, they are not in the same league.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 24/08/2015 11:07:55    1775035

Link

I didn't know he was being compared to Cluxton. He is a good keeper, but inconsistent on placed balls.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7892 - 24/08/2015 11:15:41    1775042

Link

Cluxton and Morgan were never in the one league , Cluxton is miles ahead .

Morgan has had a solid season but was easily to blame for 4/5 direct kerry scores , couple that with the 2 horrendous frees he missed , tyrone will wonder what could have been. Where was Sean Kavanagh hiding ?

HurlerOnTheFenc (Mayo) - Posts: 282 - 24/08/2015 11:20:01    1775046

Link

he had a really poor game but to be fair he kicked one of the scores of the year in miserable conditions from the sideline, an abselute peach

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 597 - 24/08/2015 11:26:06    1775056

Link

Niall Morgan is a fine young goalkeeper and still has a lot to learn. He had an excellent game against monaghan. yesterday we always knew we were going to be forcing kickouts because maher moran and buckley were positioned for the long kickout so Morgan had to go short. kerry counteracted this from the start by employing a zonal system upfront, and then after half time they pushed their sweeper up and went man on man which forced Morgan to start forcing kickouts which gave up a couple of scores. Tyrone then counteracted this by going long to Mc Nulty and all of a sudden gaps opened up in the kerry defence...a lot of the late counterattacking moves in the last 15 mins came from Morgans kickouts which put kerry completely on the back foot...lads don't go for the simplistic lazy soundbites

mayotyroneman (Tyrone) - Posts: 1821 - 24/08/2015 11:26:23    1775058

Link

Lads Morgan and Cavanagh had poor games but let's leave it at that. Sean Cavanagh owes Tyrone nothing, he is coming to the end of an unbelievable career.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7892 - 24/08/2015 11:27:05    1775059

Link

The point I took from the goalkeeping yesterday is the shot that the Kerry keeper blocked is exactly where Cluxton is weak (one to one's just go either side of him and more often than not it is a goal) and this coupled with vulnerability under high ball is where Mayo can win next Sunday's game.

The Tyrone keeper had a bad day at the office that free was no help to anyone only Kerry.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6480 - 24/08/2015 11:27:07    1775060

Link

The point I took from the goalkeeping yesterday is the shot that the Kerry keeper blocked is exactly where Cluxton is weak (one to one's just go either side of him and more often than not it is a goal) and this coupled with vulnerability under high ball is where Mayo can win next Sunday's game. Is this the shot that went straight at him? Fairly sure that could have been saved by any intercounty keeper, poor finish IMO

The Tyrone keeper had a bad day at the office that free was no help to anyone only Kerry.

Morgan had a shocker in the second half, gifted Kerry scores.
Should never have been brought up for that free in the last min. McCurry or Harte or one of the smaller lads should have dropped it into the square.

GAAHattrick (Dublin) - Posts: 278 - 24/08/2015 11:36:47    1775071

Link

Paul Durcan one year, Niall Morgan the next.....is it a coicincidence or do we just have things sussed on the short kick outs? It's amazing the pressure that builds on the Goalie when you know you can't win the aerial midfield battle. He's a class act but if Dublin win nest week, Cluxton had better start doing his homework and he'ld better stay swithced on for the 75-80 minutes.

thykingdomcome1 (Kerry) - Posts: 78 - 24/08/2015 11:37:04    1775072

Link

For me morgan cost tyrone the match yesterday very poor kick outs in second half when teams were level caued kerry to get 2 very easy points when they were on the ropes that was the turning point

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 240 - 24/08/2015 11:48:45    1775086

Link

For me morgan cost tyrone the match yesterday very poor kick outs in second half when teams were level caued kerry to get 2 very easy points when they were on the ropes that was the turning point

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 240 - 24/08/2015 11:49:31    1775089

Link

sorry boys I have been saying all year he is not best goalkeeper in Tyrone and i dont understand why he keeps getting picked.

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 314 - 24/08/2015 11:57:41    1775094

Link

Morgan is definitely suspect mentally. Great score from the sideline free but his reaction in celebration gave some insight into how he is affected by the crowd and occasion. Remember him having a stinker a year or two ago in ulster game when the crowd got to him and once he missed one free the whole lot went to pot. Might have been v Donegal but not certain. God knows he's only human but with such small margins involved he does look vulnerable.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 24/08/2015 12:14:02    1775121

Link

thykingdomcome1
County: Kerry

Paul Durcan one year, Niall Morgan the next.....is it a coicincidence or do we just have things sussed on the short kick outs? It's amazing the pressure that builds on the Goalie when you know you can't win the aerial midfield battle. He's a class act but if Dublin win nest week, Cluxton had better start doing his homework and he'ld better stay swithced on for the 75-80 minutes.

Exactly the point, Kerry have a strong midfield in the air, so keepers are looking at other options and as Kerry are willing to back their midfield to win there share of anything hit long and they can then push up and there is no easy option for the short kick out. Standing 5 yards behind a man with your arm in the air isn't giving your keeper an option to hit you with the kickout, especially in conditions like yesterday. When McNulty came on we hit a few long and got a bit of success but it was all a bit too late.

benched (Tyrone) - Posts: 534 - 24/08/2015 12:36:15    1775144

Link

Comparing a 24 year old goalkeeper who had one off day this year to a keeper of Cluxton's experience and honours is a bit low tbh. Many goalkeepers don't reach their peak until they're 30 and until Niall Morgan has had those valuable years that Cluxton has under his belt its a non debate for now.

As for yesterday, once Kerry started to win turn overs from short Tyrone kick outs more than once the tactics should have been changed for Tyrone. They gifted several scores to Kerry from bad kick outs and the way the game was being played Sean Cavanagh should have been moved to midfield and the kick outs kicked long. Morgan chose to kick long a couple of times and it worked so I don't know why they reverted back to short ones. Even if they were losing one or two out the field its not as dangerous as losing one 20 metres from goal. Kerry are too wise to the short kick out and it caused Donegal an AI last year which should have been a warning to Tyrone especially in conditions like yesterday.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 24/08/2015 13:07:17    1775197

Link

thykingdomcome1
County: Kerry

1775072 Paul Durcan one year, Niall Morgan the next.....is it a coicincidence or do we just have things sussed on the short kick outs? It's amazing the pressure that builds on the Goalie when you know you can't win the aerial midfield battle. He's a class act but if Dublin win nest week, Cluxton had better start doing his homework and he'ld better stay swithced on for the 75-80 minutes

100% Agree
Mayo pressurised Donegal kick outs Who won ?
Kerry pressurised Tyrone kick outs who won ?
Have said all along to anyone who will listen SCs kick out and midfield battle will be crucial to winning on Sunday , I expect both Kerry and Mayo to target possession from dead ball as crucial . The more defensive coaches who give up half the field at kick outs but find their opponents not so generous when shoe is on the other foot had better start to rethink their strategies .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 24/08/2015 13:16:05    1775217

Link

There is no doubt that Kerry, and a lot of other teams have 'figured out' most teams kick out strategies, be they short or long, and because of that all keepers will make one or two mistakes in every game. The hope is that when they do their defence will be able to recover the situation.
The problem with Morgan yesterday was that he was visibly crumbling under the pressure. I don't mean that as a criticism as such, but when he was struggling so much I thought it was madness to persist in calling him up to take frees. I know the options from distance may not have been great, but surely a short free for a team as used to playing the ball through hands as Tyrone would have been a better option.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 24/08/2015 13:22:47    1775228

Link

He shouldnt be taking frees...simple as. If anyone seen the Tipp match he missed easy frees. One near the end 25yards out in front of the goals went 10 yards wide.

He missed a load more aswell

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 26/08/2015 10:44:36    1776365

Link

To be fair to Morgan on the last free kick he had I think he had come up to take it before the added time was announced.

2 Mins injury was announced just as he was lining up the kick so maybe he was caught in two minds about what to do.

Most people at the game were expecting 5/6 minutes added on time and yet again somehow the ref decided 2 mins was sufficent.

Kerry fans were not complaining about 2 mins added on but at the end of the day it was a joke decision.

If there was 6 minutes added on then I think he was right to go for the point as it would have left 2 points in it with 5/6 mins to go.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 898 - 26/08/2015 13:43:58    1776538

Link

Seems to me that a lot of the issues discussed in these 'where did it wrong for Tyrone threads' stems from the game been lost from the sidelines?

What was the management doing when opting for short kick outs on a wet day with Kerry men swarming around you? Like come on!

sam2008 (Tyrone) - Posts: 797 - 26/08/2015 17:23:40    1776722

Link