National Forum

Tyrone Prospects

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Now I realise that this may come back to bite me but i just wondered what Tyrone fans' realistic expectations are for the year ahead after yesterday?
Do you think that this was a case of maybe not showing their full potential before May?
Or was yesterday's performance an actual reflection of where Tyrone currently are at?

If it's the latter I would seriously be worried as a Tyrone fan. It must have been the worst Tyrone performance I have ever seen, either in the flesh or on TV.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 30/03/2015 13:19:30    1708357

Link

Tyrone like us have a bright future ahead.....the chance of winning division 2 next year

DoireCityFC (Derry) - Posts: 1580 - 30/03/2015 13:58:45    1708379

Link

we'll know more about Tyrone once the championship starts, they are drawn into the tougher side of the Ulster championship and it looks like they'll need to hit the ground running. As for league performances? they count for nothing once the champioship gets under way and few managers know about championship preparation better than Mickey Harte, although his words after yesterday's game would suggest championship prearation may be savage stuff

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 30/03/2015 14:20:31    1708399

Link

Tyrone are an on their day type of side , in other words on their day they could cause anyone problems , but sustaining a full assault on Ulster or Sam I don't see it , I have no preferences or loyalty towards any county in the north so just saying how I see it . Prospects an Ulster final maybe .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 30/03/2015 14:26:50    1708404

Link

Thinking Cavan as dark horses for Ulster

DoireCityFC (Derry) - Posts: 1580 - 30/03/2015 14:36:14    1708413

Link

Unless there is a vast Tyrone improvement I can't see them beating Donegal. We were able to bring on Mark McHugh, Anthony Thompson and Colm McFadden yesterday so we seem to be moving along nicely.

The draw is kind to Monaghan but Cavan, and possibly even an improving Fermanagh could cause problems.

On our side, if we can get past Tyrone, Armagh will be tough opposition no doubt.

An interesting summer ahead!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 30/03/2015 15:01:05    1708428

Link

Tyrone are in big trouble if they are in anyway open

They don't have the forwards to win Sam

They live off frees and are nothing without the blanket

Mickey Harte survives on as manager by stopping other teams playing football

He doesn't have the quality anymore in his panel to do anything else

As I said... If they are in anyway open they won't live with the best teams

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 30/03/2015 15:15:37    1708437

Link

Tyrone are down the pecking order at the moment with Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh all ahead at this time. Tyrone can not go on playing matches in which they go 25/30 minutes without getting a score. The players are just not there and there is certainly no leadership compared to the old days og Gormley, Dooher, Canavan, McGuigan etc.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 30/03/2015 16:55:53    1708511

Link

Byanthon
County: Tyrone

1708511 Tyrone are down the pecking order at the moment with Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh all ahead at this time. Tyrone can not go on playing matches in which they go 25/30 minutes without getting a score. The players are just not there and there is certainly no leadership compared to the old days og Gormley, Dooher, Canavan, McGuigan etc.

Respect , not many come on here and tell it as it is regarding own county , fair play not easy to admit , a few Derry fans equally have not hidden behind county colours on here or in HQ on Saturday .
Unfortunately for both counties its a case of where to from now ?

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 30/03/2015 17:17:07    1708525

Link

Cavan are always the Dark Horses. So Dark that nobody ever notices them.

Tyrone will recover from league defeat but they are stuck in the second tier of championship teams

pdempsey (Mayo) - Posts: 1313 - 30/03/2015 17:25:11    1708531

Link

Tradition always deserves respect but from what I saw yesterday, Tyrone will find it difficult to beat Donegal in Ballybofey in 7 weeks time.

Mind you, if Donegal think they have it in the bag then no better team than Tyrone to cause an upset, but they were really poor yesterday.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 30/03/2015 17:39:40    1708540

Link

pdempsey
County: Mayo

1708531 Cavan are always the Dark Horses. So Dark that nobody ever notices them.

Tyrone will recover from league defeat but they are stuck in the second tier of championship teams

There is a malaise affecting our county teams, all the way from minor to senior and refuse to believe that a football mad county like Tyrone don't have the personnel to keep competitive.

We've been trading off a successful decade for too long now without making the hard calls needed to move us on and on current evidence we are so far off the 'big four' that it will take us the rest of this decade just to claw our way back. Tyrone supporters are going to have to be realistic, Div 2 beckons and with it also ran status in Ulster.

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 30/03/2015 17:43:38    1708545

Link

Call me mad but I wouldn't put it past Tyrone to beat Donegal in seven weeks. They will be written off completely which will suit them perfectly.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1799 - 30/03/2015 18:22:17    1708574

Link

I agree with the monaghan man, I think Tyrone will be a totally different animal in 7 weeks. Donegal, better than any team, know that league form doesn't matter come championship. We looked excellent at times yesterday but we will know more in May!

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 1321 - 30/03/2015 19:35:14    1708612

Link

A club football match in the Bogies a number of years ago and the young MesAmis was throwing himself around a bit too much for the liking of some in attendance.

In anyways a disagreement was had and I was knocked over the sideline into a group of onlookers. I didn't exactly catch everything said but defo heard someone remark "there's plenty of space in the boot of the Civic for you buddy if you don't cop onto yourself!"

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 30/03/2015 19:47:48    1708620

Link

Sorry wrong thread!!!

I'm sure Tyrone would do okay down the Bogies!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 30/03/2015 19:58:22    1708624

Link

what happened to Ray Mulgrew, Sean O'Neill, Niall McKenna, Mark Donnelly, Ronan O'Neill, Kyle Coney, Ryan Pickering, Aidan Cassidy,Tommy Canavan??

HughHunt24 (Cork) - Posts: 841 - 30/03/2015 19:59:00    1708626

Link

Tyrone were very poor yesterday but not a surprise. The same problems were evident as against Kerry in the League last year and quite a few games since.

We won't win anything this year. But next year, organised in a different way and with a kinder draw in the championship, we could be back.

tyroneed (Tyrone) - Posts: 753 - 30/03/2015 20:13:59    1708637

Link

High hunt. theyre all dropped from the panel. theres no mention at all of the fact that Tony Donnelly assistant manager is gone and he was 70/0 of the brains behind Tyrone. Tyrone always played with determination and great heart. you could never rule them out til the final whistle. thats gone now. its more how soon can this end ? it looks like an internal problem. I hope they get their mojo back soon as Ulster needs them if a team from our Province is to succeed this year. next Sunday will let us see where they really are at. meanwhile back in Monaghan things look a lot better but its only march.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 30/03/2015 20:38:43    1708656

Link

Decent, not spectacular bunch of players. No Conor McManus, Bernard Brogan or James O'Donoghue or 'star' forward to be honest that you can rely on for 0.5 or 0.6 a game but quite a few similar type of players, nippy can do serious damage on a good day but by and large not reliable enough.

Midfield that simply isn't good enough to challenge for honours - McKenna cup doesn't count. McNulty of Dungannon cannot be faulted, he's just simply a year or so development off being that midfielder needed.

Too Jekyll and Hyde, could easily beat Kerry to stay up next outing, could easily get hammered but I fear the biggest problem is character and that 'edge' that many associate with the team from the 00s. There is no excuse for being defeated by 10 points in any game in Ulster bar a lack of heart and fight.

Easy enough to stick the knife in after a bad loss I suppose, but wouldn't be the first team to have a poor league and go on and win something. Kerry last year took a bit of stick for their league form and they ended up alright as they were working to a long term plan. I personally don't think that Tyrone will prove me wrong in the summer but perhaps there is a plan ahead we don't know about? Judge them in the summer...although it is a fair point that the questions are being asked now - fairly easy to motivate them for the clash v Donegal now in the Ulster Championship, should they win there it'll all be forgotten about - do I think they'll win? No.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 30/03/2015 21:37:42    1708686

Link