National Forum

Hurling disgrace

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Time for an annual gripe. It's absolutely disgraceful that the 2A winner is not automatically promoted. A promotion/relegation play-off already exists in the tiered hurling championship. Having this system in both competitions is a step too far. It's protectionism at its worst.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7840 - 23/03/2015 14:10:27    1705612

Link

Agreed.The whole league format is a mess in my opinion.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 23/03/2015 14:24:22    1705622

Link

I've been completely converted to the current system. I think it's by far the best available.

As for the relegation without playoff, it is a disgrace but apparently this is the last year of it so not much to complain about.

I think we have three top divisions of extremely competitive hurling. I can't speak for the lower divisions to be honest. The only difference that could be made is maybe an extra team in both 1a and 1b so that an extra team but that might rob the third division of it's competitive edge. Also, they should just name them division 1,2,3 etc instead of 1a, 1b etc which makes little sense.

Good league again this year and great championships for the past 3 years IMO. Knock-out stages should be interesting now without KK there to win it again. Have to fancy Tipp.

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1494 - 23/03/2015 14:32:36    1705631

Link

I don't have a problem with the league structures as such, but the rules and stipulations with them are embarrassing. A lot of the time people are left wondering what way the leagues even work as regards to points difference, head to head etc. What will they change it to next year? The winner of 2A should come straight up. Why should they have to beat a team who won no matches in 1B? The coin toss thing is also nonsense especially for relegation matches. Why couldn't they be held at a neutral venue. Typical GAA making a shambles of out what has been a great league. Very interesting to see that the coin toss has allowed for two double headers for Cork and Dublin....... and KK at home again.

the_post (USA) - Posts: 184 - 23/03/2015 14:52:11    1705639

Link

It's a sham and a real indictment that the top hurling team don't give two hoots about the game developing in the rest of the country. Hurling ignorance.

So, if you win the league your not guaranteed of a reward. Top team from each division should be auto promoted and the second place team entered into a playoff.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 23/03/2015 14:54:44    1705640

Link

Let's be honest here, Kerry & Westmeath, who are in the 2A final are highly unlikely to be as strong as Laois & Antrim who are in the 1B relegation playoff. If they are, let them prove that on the field. Last year Offaly played Kerry in the promotion/relegation decider which Offaly won. Offaly are now in a Division 1 quarter-final. Where would they be if they went down last year? Kerry would surely be relegated this year if they had gone up. Where's the benefit for either if that had happened? Kerry's best bet at improvement in the short run is to win the Christy Ring Cup & get into the McCarthy Cup qualifier group. In the long run, their underage teams need to be competitive in Munster. I see they are taking part in the Leinster Minor Hurling league this year so best of luck to them in the future.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/03/2015 15:13:26    1705650

Link

the_post,

I think it's already been proven that one team having home advantage at this stage will yield a better attendance than a neutral venue. The semis will likely be a Thurles double-header.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/03/2015 15:35:29    1705664

Link

When will people realise that the top tier hurling counties keep everyone else down

from Feile (where the top counties have now got their own competition) to Under 14 and 16 county tournaments

with some investment in Westmeath, Laois, Antrim and Kerry they would get much closer to the likes of Offaly, Dublin, Wexford

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1890 - 23/03/2015 17:08:55    1705706

Link

Keeper 7 we cannot have one rule for one division and something else for another.You say Westmeath or Kerry are unlikely to trouble Laois or Antrim that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but a play off is not the answer.Antrim and Laois have been playing a higher quicker level of hurling and will have a two week break whilst the Division 2 winners will have only one week.Is that fair?If you win your section of any competition you should be promoted if you finish bottom relegation.Its simple and its fair.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 1454 - 23/03/2015 17:37:45    1705718

Link

Listen folks, you can actually win the league from 1B so the idea is that Division 1A & 1B is virtually the same division. Eventually the aspiration would be that you'd have up to a dozen counties able to compete at the top level. If you win a county intermediate championship it doesn't automatically mean you're able for senior status.

By the way, love the username, Jobber! :-)

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/03/2015 17:56:46    1705726

Link

valley84
County: Westmeath

When will people realise that the top tier hurling counties keep everyone else down

from Feile (where the top counties have now got their own competition) to Under 14 and 16 county tournaments

with some investment in Westmeath, Laois, Antrim and Kerry they would get much closer to the likes of Offaly, Dublin, Wexford

It is probably true. Though I would say that they look after their own interests rather than a deliberate ploy to keep others down (I am not denying that that is the result). Most people that genuinely love hurling know that it is in their best interests to have more competition within the game. Though they may want this, it is unlikely that those representing Cork (as an example) at central level will argue in favour of more funding for Westmeath (as an example) as they will seek the funds for themselves. It is therefore up to central council to push the issue. It is also up to county boards in some counties to do a better job at promoting hurling. Hearing stories of the Down (a county with a reasonable number of hurling teams compared to some) county board just wiping out their entire club hurling leagues in one go (though I believe they have reinstated them) is not helpful and there is little the stronger teams can do about that.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 23/03/2015 18:01:19    1705729

Link

i find it a bit ridiculous that their is quarter finals as it is
the top 6 counties are supposed to be in division 1a
so its a bit unfair that a team from 1b can win the league when its a effectivly the second division
you have to play stronger games to finish in top 4 in div 1a
and for what at the end of the day
as all it gets you is to the same stage as a team who finishes 4th in the second division
you would be better off playing in the 1b as you would be nearly guarnteed a quarter final place each year

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 23/03/2015 18:37:23    1705744

Link

I think the current, though I was against, system is working. I agree with the play down but with home match for the 2A winners.

witnof (Dublin) - Posts: 1604 - 23/03/2015 19:06:44    1705755

Link

bennybunny
County: Cork

Good post, pretty much nails where the responsibility actually lies.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 23/03/2015 19:27:35    1705764

Link

In my opinion the top 2 teams in divisions 1A and 1B should make up the semi finals. The bottom teams in each division are relegated, no second chances.
Well done to Brian Whelehan and Offaly on making the q/finals, great result.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1740 - 23/03/2015 19:35:56    1705772

Link

i agree with the original poster, but i think that division 1a and 1b work quiet well, mostly close games in both divisions. even in 1b with the exception of waterford who were clearly the standout team there were not many big winning margins.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1941 - 23/03/2015 19:39:40    1705774

Link

Other side is that Kerry already benefit from their geographical location in terms of access to top class competition from schools upward - if they cannot get higher than 2B then the current system is not the problem despite the system probably not being the best.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 24/03/2015 12:19:41    1705978

Link

No dobt about it winners from 2A should go up. Why should Laois and Antrim get a 3rd bite at the cherry? They both didnt do enough during the league so they now play off against each other. Whoever loses that should be gone but no they then get a chance to beat Kerry and take Kerrys place. Thats not a go at those 2 counties its a go at seriously flawed system. How are Kerry Westmeath and Carlow ever supposed to progress up?

Someone posted the 1a and 1b structure is fine, well its not really. Why are Wexford and Offaly still involved having finished 3rd and 4th in 1b?? Cork and Tipp should be in the semis with Dublin playing Limerick and waterford v Galway in the quarters with the winners playing Cork and Tipp in the semis, the way it was years ago. If the idea is to get more games well then just go back to divisons 0f 8, which again benefits counties like Carlow

Imagine next season d1 being: Cork Tipp Dublin,Galway, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford, Limerick and d2: Wexford, Offaly Laois Antrim,Kerry, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare. 2 up 2 down. 1 v 4 2 v 3 semis finals

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 24/03/2015 13:18:10    1706015

Link

Brianmac78, Wexford and Offaly are the big losers in that re-structure.

Why cant people just accept the format of 6 teams is fine, 5 games is more than enough to find your level in my view. Also 8 games strangles club games also which is not good either. Most counties will have their championship starting in the next month I think. We do anyway.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 24/03/2015 13:58:26    1706033

Link

I thought they passed a rule at congress to that effect (2a winners go up automatically). must be wrong though. was it defeated ?.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 24/03/2015 14:39:05    1706055

Link