National Forum

Hurling/Football Double-headers

(Oldest Posts First)

Good to see this weekend will be bringing the first hurling/football double-headers of the season. Obviously, the highest profile one is in Croker this Saturday but also ones in Derry, Antrim, Armagh & Wexford. Get in early, get value for money & support both your county's teams!

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 03/03/2015 16:37:03    1698810

Link

Unfortunately Keeper in the case of Dublin hurlers it will be them and Cork playing in front of 7/8,000 or so for most of the match and then another 10,000 arriving in during the second half for the football. Apart from that Parnell is undoubtedly a far better venue for the hurlers where they have been rarely beaten in recent years. It also has an element of treating hurlers from counties where it is the second code as a bit of a novelty warm up act, which is a bit of an insult if you ask me!

hurlingdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6978 - 03/03/2015 17:16:57    1698834

Link

dont agree with you on this hurlingdub
the hurlers would be playing in front of less in parnell park than they will be at the throw in in croke park.
its far better exposure for hurling and dublin gaa in general
plus we aint going to get any championship games in parnell park

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 03/03/2015 19:20:40    1698910

Link

hill16no1man
County: Dublin

dont agree with you on this hurlingdub
the hurlers would be playing in front of less in parnell park than they will be at the throw in in croke park.
its far better exposure for hurling and dublin gaa in general
plus we aint going to get any championship games in parnell park

A fairly silly mistake for a person of your knowledge Hill. You played Wexford in the championship there two years ago. Apart from that I agree with you (though I think Hurlingdub's points are fair as well)

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 03/03/2015 20:58:00    1698964

Link

ah benny poor choice of words from me haha
I suppose its because I label that game a qualifier and class leinster and all ireland games championship
thats what I ment when said championship game a big championship match in other words might have been better choice of words haha

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 04/03/2015 09:44:21    1699025

Link

Hill, I doubt there will be any more at start of hurling on Saturday than they would be in Parnell. Besides, that sort of a crowd in Croke Park is pretty lonesome. The double headers did work at the start when there was more marketing done and there were bigger crowds overall for them - over 30,000, but nowhere near that now.

I'm sure that double headers have attracted a proportion of those who used only follow football - Hill crowd is good for hurling for example, but not convinced! Mainly because I do think that a packed Parnell is big advantage for Dublin and it is one of few grounds that I have heard other hurling people refer to as place where they notice a more intense atmosphere for league games.

Finally as person past their prime I can no longer use my Parnell terrace pass as four hours + on my feet in the cold is too much :-)

hurlingdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6978 - 04/03/2015 09:56:56    1699029

Link

hurlingdub

I think there will be around 15 thousand in for the start of the hurling on saturday
hurlers have caught fire early and the wins over tipp and kilkenny
will defo bring in people that had they of lost them games would have waited till second half.
I agree the marketing needs to be done but who is responsible for it? the gaa or county boards?
there was 23 thousand at the dubs donegal game
id imagine somewhere around 25 thousand will be there this saturday.
yeah we have good record in parnell but for me I have never been one to try use home away as advantages
its all in the midn really, the fact the players buy into that can be dangerous in one way
as come the summer when we play galway more than likely it will be croker
and players mentally can get caught up on where the match is played
I have always been of the school that a pitch is a pitch and have even used playing away from home as a better motivator
as you will have people that never seen you play before and want them to walk away after saying
your man was a good player wasnt he.
to be honest I have never witnessed a good atmosphere in parnell outside of one match in my life
that was the o byrne cup final against longford in the 00tys when we came from behind late on to snatch it with two goals
from jayo and that was down to the circumstances. just think the ground is dull and doesnt create any atmosphere
like take the dublin final this year it was overcrowded and still could hear players calling on pitch.
haha is it 4 hours never actually noticed the time haha I can understand that but id be opposite
I cannot sit for any length without getting sore bottom haha and hate sitting at games so we opposite ends of the scale haha

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 04/03/2015 12:15:10    1699093

Link

hill16no1man
County: Dublin

ah benny poor choice of words from me haha
I suppose its because I label that game a qualifier and class leinster and all ireland games championship
thats what I ment when said championship game a big championship match in other words might have been better choice of words haha

Was that not a replayed Leinster quarter final?!! you might need a holiday!

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 04/03/2015 13:28:58    1699128

Link

haha your right benny
been busy in the gym the less 24 hours haha you will have to forgive me
must have scatter brains when on this at the minute haha

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 04/03/2015 14:30:18    1699158

Link