National Forum

Aidan Walsh turning to hurling

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hi Corkies,
Just wondering what do you think of this.
As a Kerryman living in Cork I thought this was always going to happen.
Hurling is the big sport in the city and I guess Aidan gets much more recognition for his hurling exploits than in football in the city.

A massive loss to the footballers but probably not the fondest of Cuthbert too may have been a reason for just going with the hurlers

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 30/10/2014 10:16:56    1668235

Link

No great surprise woops, it was generally accepted that Aidan and in fact all the dual players would opt for hurling. However there are some in the hurling fraternity (doesn't include me) that would be happier if Cahalane opted for football.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 30/10/2014 10:35:58    1668245

Link

Most high profile defections from dual players have been at the expense of hurling so it's no no harm to see that trend being bucked in this instance.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 30/10/2014 10:47:52    1668249

Link

Big loss to the footballers.
You think Cadogan is only to go with the hurlers too, I thought he would pick the footballers after not getting a look in last year with JBM.

As far Cahalane, I may be wrong but he looks a very good club footballer but not having the nous for inter county. A bit reckless with his delivery

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 30/10/2014 11:00:19    1668255

Link

Absolutely massive loss to the Rebel footballers.

Looks like the Munster SFC will be a cake walk for the Kingdom yet again...!

Inter County DUAL player looks like fast becoming a thing of the past.
Don't think we will see many dual players next season at all.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3717 - 30/10/2014 18:47:05    1668468

Link

Huge loss to Cork footballers, particularly in the context of losing big central players like Canty, O'Neill, & O'Connor last year. I reckon he's a much better footballer than a hurler, though, so it'll be interesting to see his progress in the coming season.

football first (None) - Posts: 1259 - 30/10/2014 19:15:21    1668478

Link

Great boost. Showed glimpses of what he's capable of this year. Hopefully we'll see more next year. Still remember his equalizing point against limerick in that outrageous under 21 final from a few years ago. Best of luck to him!

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1494 - 30/10/2014 19:15:38    1668479

Link

Great to see walshy make the right choice onwards and upwards for jbms red army now

blackrockeddie (Cork) - Posts: 160 - 30/10/2014 21:05:30    1668517

Link

Best of luck to Aidan and the cork hurlers in 2015, I hope they go on to win the Liam McCarthy cup, and cork have some of the best footballers in the country it's just they are being let down at managerial level, if cork county board could sort that out then the rest of us would be in trouble.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 30/10/2014 21:13:23    1668524

Link

Will be interesting to see who else opts not to be involved with Cuthbert's squad next year.

besidetheditch (Dublin) - Posts: 81 - 30/10/2014 21:34:40    1668533

Link

While Cork hurling may gain from this I believe Hurling overall will lose out. What its doing is giving the impression that you cannot play top level hurling and football at the same time and overall I would say that will have a negative effect on Hurling not Football. Unfortunately its all coming from the Hurling people as well, the boys on the Sunday game and some high profile county managers are the biggest culprits. There are a huge amount of duel players playing the game at the club level from underage up to Senior, I think these Hurling purists should pull their horns in and get behind players who play both otherwise it will start to have a knock on effect at the club level as well.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1799 - 31/10/2014 08:49:32    1668553

Link

Dont agree Zinny.Its either one or the other for me,at this elite level.Im glad Walsh has chosen hurling as im a hurling man first and foremost.If he can refine his skill levels and stickwork,he could be a new Frank Cummins in the making.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 31/10/2014 11:41:11    1668594

Link

zinny I think the reason it's more hurling people that go on about the dual issue is because in hurling you really need to be at it 100% for first touch and getting the eye in. I think dual players do not suffer as much with this with respect to football. I believe he made the right choice and will benefit as Lee chin did this year. You just cannot take 2-3 weeks away from hurling to play football and expect to come back and compete with Kilkenny or Tipp

the_post (USA) - Posts: 184 - 31/10/2014 12:01:59    1668608

Link

I know this will spark a bit but in my opinion Slightly over rated, maybe playing and giving his time to one sport might benefit both he and Cork, every time he played against us for some reason Anthony Maher always has the beating of him.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5491 - 31/10/2014 12:02:31    1668609

Link

You cannot serve 2 masters at the elite level.Id rather be a master of 1,than adequate/efficient at both.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 31/10/2014 13:13:47    1668638

Link

Terrible decision in my opinion. A good club hurler at best. It shows how far our star has fallen when guys like this (I admire him for his dedication ndt athleticism)can decide that he is going to be on the Cork hurling team. To think only a couple of years back, guys like Gerry O'Connor (incredibly skilled) had to fight for a place on the team.

In football, in 2010 he showed enormous potential as a midfielder. From 2011 - 2013 he was played at full-forward, centre forward as well as midfield. His strengths are is that he is a very good fielder and is very fit and strong. He can over a lot of ground. He should have been allowed to develop as a midfielder. He is a talented that has been sadly wasted. He might get better at hurling (he could not be worse than this year). I sadly do not see the potential.

Eoin Cadogan is a good footballer. He should also stay with football.

Damien Cahalane - I would not have him on any of the panels. Again, I admire his dedication to the cause. He does not have the awareness to play top level at both. In the Mayo game (when we were close-ish) - I counted that he gave the ball away 7 times when he came on - criminal waste at this level. In hurling, when he has to man mark he gets cleaned by pretty much everybody. He is good an cleaning up loose oul ball. Grand - but top level hurling is knockout and the margins are fine and Cork will never win an All-Ireland with this type of player.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 31/10/2014 13:28:19    1668644

Link

While Cork hurling may gain from this I believe Hurling overall will lose out. What its doing is giving the impression that you cannot play top level hurling and football at the same time and overall I would say that will have a negative effect on Hurling not Football. Unfortunately its all coming from the Hurling people as well, the boys on the Sunday game and some high profile county managers are the biggest culprits. There are a huge amount of duel players playing the game at the club level from underage up to Senior, I think these Hurling purists should pull their horns in and get behind players who play both otherwise it will start to have a knock on effect at the club level as well.

Cuthbert has said there will be no dual players in Cork next year. Davy has said none in Clare. It looks like there will be none from any county seriously challenging for Sam or Liam.

So the question is will there be any dual intercounty player whatsoever from any county next year? Even Leighton Glynn in Wicklow is going one code only apparently.

I can't see it being an immediate problem at club level to be honest.

besidetheditch (Dublin) - Posts: 81 - 31/10/2014 13:34:33    1668647

Link

Fair play Bennybunny: A very straight and honest opinion, have to agree with you on Cadagen and Cahilane but also feel that Walsh is not consistent enough for ye at either code, I think there is more an aura about him or being made of him but he just fails to live up to the billing.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5491 - 31/10/2014 14:02:38    1668656

Link

I think maybe its time for duel code clubs to encourage kids from U16 to opt for one code. Its a waste of valuable time, hurling will suffer more but at the end of the day you'll get better skilled ones.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4893 - 31/10/2014 14:05:03    1668657

Link

Horsebox77
County: Kerry

Fair play Bennybunny: A very straight and honest opinion, have to agree with you on Cadagen and Cahilane but also feel that Walsh is not consistent enough for ye at either code, I think there is more an aura about him or being made of him but he just fails to live up to the billing

It is true. However, he has never been faciltated either in my opinion. In 2010, he was good but there were parts of his game that needed improving. He was only 19. He was as good as any 19 year old could be. Instead of being nurtured and allowed to develop - he was abused pretty much with nthe amount of committment he needed to show to too many teams. Very disappointing.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 31/10/2014 14:34:03    1668669

Link