National Forum

Cork hurling champions beaten by Kerry!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Kerry senior hurling champions Lixnaw beat Cork's Intermediate hurling champions Ballyhea in today's Munster Hurling Intermediate Championship quarter-final in Mallow.

GAA HQ are investigating the matter. They are looking to deal with the matter swiftly and expect to have a play-off mechanism in place for next weekend. Lixnaw are expected to have to take on Ballyhea again in the play-off with a stipulation that the Kerry champions can only field 13 players. Keep an eye on GAA twitter for further updates!

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7838 - 26/10/2014 16:05:03    1667295

Link

Well done Lixnaw. Was Paul Galvin playing? And since when did the Kerry senior hurling champions start taking part in the Munster intermediate hurling championship and not the senior one?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 1029 - 26/10/2014 17:08:46    1667307

Link

Well done Lixnaw. It is not a massive shock to me. Ballyhea are a good side. Lixnaw are just a better one.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 26/10/2014 17:24:12    1667314

Link

If they beat the Cork Senior club champions it would be big news.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/10/2014 18:44:47    1667329

Link

Same thing happens in Connacht. Mayo and Roscommon Senior Hurling Champions play each tomorrow and the winners will play the Galway intermediate champions. Sligo and Leitrim Champions play each other and the winners play Galway Junior Champions. Its a great idea and makes for competitive games.
Well done Lixnaw btw.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 214 - 26/10/2014 18:58:12    1667332

Link

Ah sure cuederocket, our hurlers get on with the game at their level. All anyone can ask for. Our hurlers won 2A and make Croke Park at Ring level. Our senior hurling champions compete well at provincial intermediate level. We get on with the game. Lovely hurling!;)

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7838 - 26/10/2014 20:01:57    1667342

Link

Well done to Lixnaw

kerryluck (Kerry) - Posts: 2517 - 26/10/2014 20:08:31    1667344

Link

I know there is about 6 clubs in Kerry that are predominantly hurling.This tradition in north Kerry has never wavered.The Kerry club title is not won easily.This is why im not overly surprised by lixnaw beating Corks intermediate winners.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 26/10/2014 20:24:49    1667348

Link

Sure didn't little Middletown Na Fianna from Armagh beat the Limrick and Munster Intermediate Champions Elfin in Limerick a few years ago!!!!!

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1673 - 26/10/2014 20:36:39    1667351

Link

Legendzxix very good - lovely hurling indeed

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 27/10/2014 09:24:08    1667382

Link

facethepuckout
County: Roscommon

1667332 Same thing happens in Connacht. Mayo and Roscommon Senior Hurling Champions play each tomorrow and the winners will play the Galway intermediate champions. Sligo and Leitrim Champions play each other and the winners play Galway Junior Champions. Its a great idea and makes for competitive games.
Well done Lixnaw btw.

Yep, it's a good idea alright, as otherwise it would lead to the Galway champions dealing out some hammerings to the likes of the Leitrim and Sligo champions, all respect to them. In fact, a quick look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connacht_Senior_Club_Hurling_Championship shows huge wins against teams that are not from Leitrim or Sligo, so you can only imaging what sort of savaging they would have got. In the later years of the competition, the Galway champions got a bye to the final with the other four teams playing 2 quarters and a semi to qualify for the other final place. I wonder what sort of scorelines existed before then, or did Galway always have a representative in the final?

I wasner also was the decision to take the senior county championships and grade them as provincial level a countrywide decision?

I see Kerry team Ballyduff got to Munster Intermediate Hurling finals in 2011 and 2012. Maybe Lixnaw will be able to build on that?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 1029 - 27/10/2014 10:23:06    1667396

Link

Nice win by Lixnaw, keeps a good year for Kerry hurling going. Hopefully they can win it out now. MLR here in Carlow went that route, winning AI intermediate. Then 2 years later getting to senior AI final.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 27/10/2014 11:37:57    1667422

Link

Ballyduff had good pedigree in the Munster Intermediate alright. Sure when we're a tier below McCarthy level, it's only natural our senior teams enter the Munster Intermediate.

Ciaran Carey has done a good job with Lixnaw. He made an interesting comment that he thinks a poor standard of refereeing in Kerry is holding back the game and affecting the standard. Even outside ref's he reckons have an attitude that sure tis only Kerry hurling.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7838 - 27/10/2014 11:42:09    1667425

Link

Ballyhea is a hurling stronghold. All footballs got punctured in them parts years ago. Ballyhea probably will not win the county senior in Cork next year, however, a quarter or even a semi (depending on the draw) is not beyond them.

Lixnaw is a dual club with Finuge having a lot of football success. The standard in Kerry in hurling has always been high at club level. They could go back into the senior championship.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 27/10/2014 13:34:56    1667453

Link

Kerry will want to earn a place in the Provincial Qualifier Group first. That's the goal now for any ambitious county outside of the top tier.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7838 - 27/10/2014 13:57:53    1667459

Link

Ciaran Carey has done a good job with Lixnaw. He made an interesting comment that he thinks a poor standard of refereeing in Kerry is holding back the game and affecting the standard. Even outside ref's he reckons have an attitude that sure tis only Kerry hurling.

The same thing is happening in the north - I attended the two Cushendall v Slaughneill championship clashes and the standard of refereeing was brutal. Every small incident was blown up and in many cases strange decisions against both teams that no-one other than the referee seemed to understand, this is not unusual and stops any game from flowing. It also has the knock on effect of clubs and players when they hit national level not understanding whats allowed and not allowed when the refs tend to let games flow.

Im not sure if its poor standards, worry over fussy assessors or croke park but something needs to be done as its ruining perfectly good teams and competitions.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 27/10/2014 14:27:36    1667472

Link

Tim_Burr
County: Down

1667472 Ciaran Carey has done a good job with Lixnaw. He made an interesting comment that he thinks a poor standard of refereeing in Kerry is holding back the game and affecting the standard. Even outside ref's he reckons have an attitude that sure tis only Kerry hurling.

The same thing is happening in the north - I attended the two Cushendall v Slaughneill championship clashes and the standard of refereeing was brutal. Every small incident was blown up and in many cases strange decisions against both teams that no-one other than the referee seemed to understand, this is not unusual and stops any game from flowing. It also has the knock on effect of clubs and players when they hit national level not understanding whats allowed and not allowed when the refs tend to let games flow.

Im not sure if its poor standards, worry over fussy assessors or croke park but something needs to be done as its ruining perfectly good [/I]teams and competitions.

I have not seen those two games Tim and I am not sure what your base standard of refereeing is (from which you draw comparisons). I see refereeing in Cork and all-in-all it is not too bad (we have 4 intercounty refs - Sexton, Kirwan, Lyons and McCallister\). However, a common complaint here is that referees are too fussy. I don't see that. I see them blowing for frees when there are frees (obviously there are mistakes made). I see intercounty hurling and I see refs acting completely different. I do not see how playing club hurling prepares teams for intercounty. They are different sports almost.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 27/10/2014 15:17:55    1667483

Link

Meath senior hurling champions Kiltale defeated Wexford intermediate champions Shamrocks 3-15 to 1-10 yesterday. A massive win, the standard of hurling at senior level in Meath has never been as strong. Last year Kilmessan were very unlucky not to Buffers Alley.

Toney (Meath) - Posts: 298 - 27/10/2014 15:24:41    1667487

Link

It's been a while since Kerry champions won on the Munster platform so a good win for Lixnaw. Bruff is next for Lixnaw, any information on that team?

kerrykerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1779 - 27/10/2014 15:29:58    1667491

Link

Well done to Lixnaw & Kiltale in upsetting the odds. Here's another interesting intermediate result: Coill Dubh (Kildare) 1-12 Setanta (Dublin) 0-7

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 27/10/2014 16:17:50    1667505

Link