National Forum

Scrap the All Stars

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I cant look at the All Stars anymore theyre a sickening biased driven award system that is out of date and biased towards the big name counties and big name players. How Ryan McHugh missed out on an all star is a disgrace, but you cant drop the superstar names of Murphy or Donaghy or Flynn to accommodate a lesser name. When you decide to move a play like the two murphys to accommodate Donaghy and James McCarthy. Cian O Sullivan and Sean Cavanagh where moved last year to accommodate Aidan O'Shea.

Its a farce why should a journalist who has never played the game in his life and just with a degree to write fancy decide the awards. The GPA awards seemed fairer and less biased but then the again they sold their soul to the gaa a few years back.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1928 - 23/10/2014 09:24:31    1666340

Link

Now I'm not one for hyperbole but……

It is a disgrace Joe!

Awful decisions!

Hang them all I say!

How could they leave out (insert player from your county that had at least one decent half of football!)?

They only gave (Insert player from county you dislike) because he plays for (insert county you dislike)!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 23/10/2014 10:13:16    1666359

Link

Now I'm not one for hyperbole but……

It is a disgrace Joe!

Awful decisions!

Hang them all I say!

How could they leave out (insert player from your county that had at least one decent half of football!)?

They only gave (Insert player from county you dislike) because he plays for (insert county you dislike)!

MesAmis - you forgot:

Could someone please think of the children

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 23/10/2014 10:29:12    1666371

Link

Mesamis if you cant look at it without tinted glasses then fair enough. Ryan McHugh was close to being Donegal best player behind Neil McGee this year but Murphy got it because of his name. Ryan McHugh missed out due to the reshuffle of Michael Murphy to the half forward line to make sure Donaghy got an all star. Its happened with Peter Canavan in the past. Paul Murphy was moved to accommodate James McCarthy. Truth hurts

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1928 - 23/10/2014 10:30:51    1666373

Link

shaggylegend
County: Monaghan

Mesamis if you cant look at it without tinted glasses then fair enough. Ryan McHugh was close to being Donegal best player behind Neil McGee this year but Murphy got it because of his name. Ryan McHugh missed out due to the reshuffle of Michael Murphy to the half forward line to make sure Donaghy got an all star. Its happened with Peter Canavan in the past. Paul Murphy was moved to accommodate James McCarthy. Truth hurts

Hurts?

In what way does the All-Stars hurt?

I don't really take them that seriously to be honest. They're a nice acknowledgment for players but you can pick holes in the teams very easily.

This year's team, like most years actually, is decent enough but of course people will have issues with it. No matter what team you select people will have issues with it!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 23/10/2014 10:35:23    1666378

Link

Id agree with you. Except on the bit where Cian O'Sullivan was moved to accommodate Aidan O'Shea. I think Cian O'Sullivan was moved to accommodate Cian O'Sullivan. Had brogan's fisted goal dropped over the bar, and not under it, and everything else played out exactly the same, Id wager O'Sullivan doesn't get one. Ridiculous as it seems, it is the truth. This quota system they seem to employ is totally flawed.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 23/10/2014 10:35:43    1666379

Link

shaggy McHugh was taken off in the All-Ireland final after a completely anonymous display, this often has a bearing on selection decisions. He scored the 2 goals against Dublin but Murphy had a massive game around the middle of the field that day, and also stepped up when it mattered against Armagh. The unluckiest man to miss out is from your own county.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 23/10/2014 10:40:06    1666385

Link

I feel that the All-Star System is flawed and has been for some time. Players should be nominated from their playing position and be picked as All-Stars from there i.e. full back line, half back line half forward line and full forward line. Paul Murphy should have picked for an All-Star at No.5 where he played the majority of the season. Instead James McCarthy is picked in the half back line simply because they could not accommodate McCarthy in the full back line. I also felt either (or both) Aidan O'Mahony and Frank McGlynn had better performances throughout the season than James McCarthy had, and both players can feel particularly hard done by not to be rewarded. I thought while Donaghy performed exceptionally well in the two Mayo games (1st one 10 mins playing time) and the All-Ireland he was not deserving of an All-Star. There needs to be a criteria set where a player should have to play in at least 3-4 full games and perform extremely well to warrant an All-Star. Aidan O'Mahony and Ryan Mchugh and Frank McGlynn played in 3 times the games Donaghy played in this years championship and performed reasonably well enough to warrant inclusion in my opinion as All-Stars.

lifebuoy (Cavan) - Posts: 628 - 23/10/2014 11:16:45    1666407

Link

I think Donaghys place is deserved. I think he made a better impact than Murphy and Mchugh is the man that should be in Murphys position. Dont get how a full forward gets an All Star at wing forward. Sure if all the forwards in the country were on fire and the backs were dreadful would they put some of the forwards in the backs? Stupid. They should just announce the best players regardless of the position like the fifa ballon d'or with the top 15 recieveing an ALL star. Seems the fairest way to me.

deadybai (Kilkenny) - Posts: 63 - 23/10/2014 11:34:19    1666427

Link

Watch this space, there will be text voting very soon for the all stars a la the voice of ireland system.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 23/10/2014 12:14:35    1666454

Link

If you go back to the 08 all stars Brian Mcguigan was the best #11 that
year by a mile they gave it to Peter Canavan the best player should be
picked for each position not moving players around to accomadate another player

wfkerry (USA) - Posts: 933 - 23/10/2014 13:46:29    1666500

Link

I'm not getting into the debate about who should or should not have got one. But I do think this thing has passed its sell by date and should be scrapped. The whole moving of players to accommodate another is silly and I recall a few times lads been moved to a position they never played in
Now its you have to reach semis before been considered.
Old hat outdated and should be scrapped or renewed into a different format of points for all games played in particular position.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 23/10/2014 14:09:14    1666515

Link

Looks a good team to me.Nominating Murphy at half forward was a stroke,no doubt.However i dont rate young McHugh like others do.His first goal v Dubs was a fluke how it crept over the line.He was annonymous in the final when it matters most.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 23/10/2014 14:29:17    1666530

Link

i think in future what the GAA should do to avoid annoying people and causing unecessary controversy, just have the All Stars, minus the Dubs.
Make Dublin players ineligible. Call it repayment to the country as a whole for the funding we get.
Call them the "All Stars Minus the Dubs Awards"

That will keep ye all happy, cos the only players anyone ever has a problem with are Dubs

That should do it. We dont mind. We are comfortable in our superiority to not let ye're petty culchie jibes distract us :)

COYBIB

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 23/10/2014 14:36:35    1666535

Link

Tis a bit of craic lads in the off season.Something for us to whinge about.Just like life in general,be it the church,work,politics,etc-the GAA wudnt be the same without a stroke pulled.And like everything else,theres not a thing we can do about it.Dont fight it lads,embrace its sheer nonsense.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 23/10/2014 14:39:26    1666536

Link

Id disagree liam. They should just give it to the lads who deserve it, and stop worrying about including counties or giving one county as many as another depending on how far they went.

The reality is this year Dublin coasted past everyone they met until they got broadsided by Donegal. They weren't really tested and so nobody had to stand up and put on a performance, then they lost. Not really their fault I know. But it was quite uneventful, yet they got the same number of all-stars as mayo; a team who were tested by Roscommon, Galway, Cork and Kerry twice, and on each occasion individuals stood up to the mark and drove them either up to or over the line - many times the same individual (who didn't get an award by the way). I mean obviously it stands to reason that the mayo guys would have more standout individuals over the course of that run compared to Dublin who clipped over a few scores in second gear and then ran their bench to see it out. Yet they got the same number. It makes no sense. Now don't get me wrong, it is a thing that mayo were wronged, bar o'shea I don't think they were, it is simply pointing out the inconsistency in selection, and how politics are playing a part rather than the actual performances we see each year.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 23/10/2014 15:24:57    1666561

Link

The best players in their positions that is what the All-Stars should consist of. For example the half forward line should only be players who played in that line consistently during the season. In my opinion Kieran Donaghy does not justify an All Star, to only play 2 and a bit games is not enough to be recognised as the best full forward in the country for 2014.

lifebuoy (Cavan) - Posts: 628 - 23/10/2014 16:06:01    1666581

Link

Don't scrap it, amend it. I'd prefer to see a team selected from those excluded before the semis. If they played a team from the final four and the eventual winners, the matches would be worth seeing, in hurling and football.

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 569 - 23/10/2014 16:17:39    1666585

Link

master, the fact ye were "tested" by Roscomon might explain a thing or 2 perhaps?
Maybe thats why ye're performances are not seen as being of much significance until the semi finals maybe???

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 23/10/2014 16:27:28    1666592

Link

Donaghy getting one for essentially one good performance this year was a disgrace

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 23/10/2014 16:35:52    1666594

Link