National Forum

Are Kilkenny embarrassing other counties?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We can spend a lot of time talking about how great this kilkenny team are, but should we be also focusing on how inadequate the resistance has been over the last 10 or 15 years? So many managers have taken the reigns at other counties in Codys time, and with the exception of Tipperary (who have a very poor record against the cats themselves), none of them have been able to so much as keep the cats honest on a consistent basis. In fact, most of them have been humiliated numerous times by the Kilkenny machine.
Yes this is the greatest team of all time, but 13 finals in 16 years, winning 10 of them? The rest of us can do at least a little better than that?
In his daily life, Brian Cody is a school principal, but I reckon he probably has more control over the likes of Waterford, Galway,Wexford and the other hurling counties than he does over his own students.

joncarter (Galway) - Posts: 2692 - 21/10/2014 16:58:31    1665834

Link

There are only 5 counties who can realistically win the AI in my view so when you factor in that not really an embarrassment.
If more counties then yes it would be.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 21/10/2014 17:13:48    1665843

Link

Tipp have consistently given Kilkenny their greatest challenges.Unfortunately they just came up short on a lot of occassions but there was certainly no embarrasment on the premier mens part.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 21/10/2014 17:26:49    1665855

Link

Their is no embarrasment losing to a better team.Once a team leaves it all out on the field,and plays as well as they can,there is nothing more you can do.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 21/10/2014 17:36:43    1665860

Link

its hurling..the fact that so few teams can be competitive each year ensures dominance is highly possible..the rise of dublin has been a big benefit and hopefully that continues

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 21/10/2014 17:37:27    1665862

Link

Yup. Id love to see Dublin win an all Ireland. Please God a few other teams step up to the mark with them.
Last year proved how wonderful the hurling championship can be when there are numerous title contenders.

joncarter (Galway) - Posts: 2692 - 21/10/2014 17:43:54    1665866

Link

once they are competitive each year is all you want...competitive championship each year...as much flak as football takes..it is almost impossible to retain the football

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 21/10/2014 18:00:59    1665876

Link

No embarrassment for other counties
Kilkenny are a great team, a great hurling county, they'll always be there or there abouts. Overall, they've been the top team over the past 5 years, but haven't been dominant, not like they were in the previous 5 years. i.e
2009: Narrowly won the AI, could have gone either way
2010: Lost the AI final to Tipp
2011: Lost the League final to Dublin
2012: Lost the Leinster final to Galway, held to a draw in AI final before winning the replay
2013: Knocked out of Leinster championship by Dublin, knocked out of Championhsip by Cork
2014: They were in top form, but still needed a replay to win AI, and were lucky enough to get past Limerick in the AI semi (still deserving winners overall)

At U21:
Haven't won an U21 AI in over 6 years
Haven't won an U21 Leinster championship in 3 years

Minor:
They had a great win this year, but that was their first appearance in an AI minor final in over 4 years

The above stats aren't designed to run down Kilkenny, but just to blow away the myth that the championship is a foregone conclusion. They're still the best team, but not unbeatable. I actually think we're entering a phase where we might not be seeing Kilkenny OR Tipp in an AI final for a while. Things in the hurling championship are about to get interesting I think.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 21/10/2014 18:15:49    1665881

Link

Hopefully marlon but ive heard that before. Id actually like to see Tipp win the all ireland at this stage.

joncarter (Galway) - Posts: 2692 - 21/10/2014 18:21:27    1665884

Link

Yes marlon you could be right.Hard to know how much collateral damage ,this All Ireland defeat will do to Tipp.I see their trying to get O Shea to remain on board.Interesting to see if he has the stomach for another year.I can see Tipp struggling next year.Clare are my 2nd favourites behind Kilkenny.They just struggled to find any form this year.Pretty understandable for such a young All Ireland winning team.They are primed to ignite next year.JBM remaining on Leeside is good news for Cork.They wll get better.Limerick will be strong.Galway and Wexford too.Dublin,Waterford and Offaly seem off the pace.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 21/10/2014 18:30:09    1665885

Link

Several other counties didn't do themselves any favours by their behaviour during the last few years, first Cork went on strike and I don't think have recovered properly since, and then there were similar sorts of player/management issues in Waterford and Limerick, Waterford tried to get physical with Kilkenny in 2008 instead of trying to hurl and got a lesson in how not to approach an All
Ireland, Galway.......well Galway hurling continues to be one of the universe's greatest mystery, loads of talent & potential but appear as far away from an All Ireland as ever, just not able to produce the goods when it matters, so in a sense there have been times when counties have embarrassed themselves, and no better team than kilkenny to take advantage of such things, no such distractions in their camp, they just want to hurl and win

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 21/10/2014 19:16:50    1665902

Link

The other counties are more preoccupied by play-off mechanisms to keep lower tier counties down. They do tarnish the hurling league and championship as a result.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7824 - 21/10/2014 20:20:43    1665930

Link

I think potentially there are 6 All Ireland champions in a given year (Kilkenny, Tipp, Limerick, Cork, Clare,Galway). The latter three were off the pace this year but are not a million miles off. Dublin, Waterford and Wexford are capable of taking the odd scalp but in my opinion are not All Ireland contenders at this stage of their development. Still, 6 possible champions is not bad considering the much-hyped Premier League has what, two potential champions?

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 21/10/2014 21:19:56    1665974

Link

Dundalk v Cork City. That's the Premier League of Ireland for that game of association football. Nevermind that circus across the water!

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7824 - 21/10/2014 21:46:34    1665989

Link

Kilkenny know how to get it done and are a credit to their county. I feel if we could get one in the next two years we could win a couple. The gap is closer.

Hoover78 (Limerick) - Posts: 865 - 21/10/2014 21:53:31    1665997

Link

ballydalane
County: Kilkenny

I think potentially there are 6 All Ireland champions in a given year (Kilkenny, Tipp, Limerick, Cork, Clare,Galway). The latter three were off the pace this year but are not a million miles off. Dublin, Waterford and Wexford are capable of taking the odd scalp but in my opinion are not All Ireland contenders at this stage of their development. Still, 6 possible champions is not bad considering the much-hyped Premier League has what, two potential champions?

I think you might be trying to pad things out there a bit Ballydalane.Galway and Limerick much as it would do hurling good if they could win one havn't done it for a very long time. Ok Galway got ye to replay but still no cigar.Unfortunately there are too few real contenders and really Tipp recently and Cork before have been yeer only challengers for a very long time on the big day.

SLLY (Dublin) - Posts: 463 - 21/10/2014 21:55:26    1665998

Link

Kilkenny are still a level above everyone in my opinion. Other teams have gotten better but Kilkenny have still won 3 out of the last 4 ALL-Irelands. Look at the Limerick game this year. Threw everything at The Cats and still lost. Kilkenny didnt even play that well that day. Look at the 2012 final and replay. Galway hammered KK in Lenister and still lost the All Ireland. Even this years final, Tipp gave an almost perfect display in the first game and yet they salvaged a draw thanks to a late rally.
Other teams have gotten better thats for sure but it just shows how far the gap was when Kilkenny were at their peak, especially in 07/08

deadybai (Kilkenny) - Posts: 63 - 22/10/2014 11:32:53    1666051

Link

The other counties are more preoccupied by play-off mechanisms to keep lower tier counties down. They do tarnish the hurling league and championship as a result.

Couldn't agree more Legendzxix.

Constant talk about how only a few teams can win the all Ireland and yet who does nothing to assist those counties who are trying to keep hurling alive and indeed prosper, the very same hurling people !! Hypocrites one and all

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 22/10/2014 11:49:09    1666058

Link

What is it that the top hurling counties are doing to keep the other counties down lads?Dont see it myself.As far as i can see most counties up north,bar a few clubs,have minimal interest in the sport.Same applies with counties like Mayo,Roscommon,Sligo,Longford,Wicklow,Louth etc.Legend,hurling is the main sport in a small pocket of north Kerry-Lixnaw,Ballyduff,Causeway,etc-how do feel ye can bridge the gap and be competetive in Munster again?I remember Kerry shocked Waterford in 1994 i think.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 22/10/2014 12:44:40    1666075

Link

Are you serious cuerocket?

The leagues are changed to suit the top hurling counties on a constant basis - even when a team from lower league wins their league they don't get promoted as its usually a match against the bottom team in the league above and there are many instances of this type of behaviour over the years.
Another thing which annoys many is the complete lack of comment from top counties, their executives at Croker, GPA and influential players to the appalling way hurling is being treated in Ulster and in some other provinces.

The Ulster Council have no interest in hurling and that's fairly obvious but what is annoying is the way no-one and I mean no-one from strong hurling counties asks the hard questions at conference about this, nothing from the GPA or its high profile hurling reps either.
Not once did the GPA get involved in the fiasco two years ago re the Ulster Hurling Final, this involved many of their members don't forget but as soon as COR writes a fairly objective piece about them in a broadsheet then twitter and the media is bombarded with critical responses. Who is asking what has the hurling (non) development work group been doing? Now we have another hurling committee set up by Croke Park and not one representative from Kerry, Derry, Meath, Wicklow or countless other weaker counties to add their voices.

Football is king in the north for obvious reasons but there are many people who just want a fair crack at Ireland national game. Its hard to fault non hurling people when those who profess to love the game and constantly harp on about not enough counties are competing at the highest level are actually the same people who are holding it back. I just wish they were honest and said when they really think - they couldn't care less about hurling in Kerry, Donegal, Wicklow, Derry, Down etc..
One small example recently, the draws for 2015 hurling and football championship were televised. No Ulster Hurling Championship made and no Ring Meagher and Rackard draws were made sort of says it all doesn't it

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 22/10/2014 14:22:06    1666121

Link