National Forum

Its one rule for one .........

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Nobody wants to see dedicated players getting suspended for being involved in a harmless melee in the heat of battle. This week has proven though that the GAA have serious issues with consistency. Its not long ago there was a call to throw certain counties out of the championship for less than what happened last Sunday in Croke Park. During this summer it was fashionable to throw the book at certain counties on the back of media hype, every case should be treated in the same fair way. Rant over :-).

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 24/07/2014 10:53:59    1625143

Link

Not a rant. A justified observation.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 6031 - 24/07/2014 11:04:22    1625155

Link

In fairness, if the referee didnt do his job on the day, ie consult his linesmen and umpires, (which he did I think), and then administored yellow cards, the owness is on him and not anyone else within the gaa to go down the route of suspensions etc. As it stands, 4 players were given yellow cards. No red cards, and I believe he saw everything that happened. There should be a line drawn under these sort of things, and if there is anything to be learned about it, let the referees discuss a consistent course of action for incidents on the day. Otherwise there will be no end to trial by media. Too big a distraction for meath going into their next game this whole thing. They would have been much better off walking away and taking their beating properly.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 24/07/2014 11:14:11    1625164

Link

Bit strange you would highlight the Croke Park melee but not the one in Clones on Sunday Sam - looks like a lack of consistency to me and an unwillingness on your part to treat every incident in the same fair way. In any case, trying to suggest that anything that happened at the weekend is comparable to the Armagh/Cavan incident where band members had to get out of the way of harm is daft.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 11:30:13    1625173

Link

Totally agree Sam. This is not a thread to divide the provinces but it is very true that there is a serious lack of consistency within the gaa. Let's hope it improves.

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 24/07/2014 11:32:26    1625175

Link

Soma
County: UK

1625173 Bit strange you would highlight the Croke Park melee but not the one in Clones on Sunday Sam - looks like a lack of consistency to me and an unwillingness on your part to treat every incident in the same fair way. In any case, trying to suggest that anything that happened at the weekend is comparable to the Armagh/Cavan incident where band members had to get out of the way of harm is daft.

There were punches thrown on Sunday and those who threw them were not dealt with. The exact same thing happened in Armagh and 4 players sere suspended. Comparing Clones on Sunday to Croke Park is a bit much. One player was booked and it was pushing and shoving. Granted Deegan was poor on the day. The biting incident and it looks as if it was a bite which would make it the third such incident involving a Dublin player in the last two years is not a simple issue to deal with. The review body have concluded there is not sufficient evidence to proceed. That should be accepted as it is highly doubtful any suspension would stand up to appeal. Nor can Mickey Burke be construed as being blameless.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 6031 - 24/07/2014 11:48:02    1625189

Link

Lack of consistency eh? If two incidents are completely different why should they be treated the same?

Floops (Dublin) - Posts: 1623 - 24/07/2014 11:49:32    1625194

Link

How many punches were thrown Sunday Greengrass, I know Burke threw one and missed (he was lucky to get off) but how many more were there and who threw them? I have watched it a few times and cant really see any, but I could well be missing them. The situation is in no way comparable to the farce in Clones between Armagh and Cavan, a brawl before the parade started and band members trying to protect smaller members of the band and largely thought to be premeditated. Surely you would agree Clones and Croke Park on Sunday were much more comparable than Croke Park and Armagh/Cavan. Id be interested to know what happened to Michael Murphy Sunday. He went down off the ball and needed lengthy treatment, yet only a yellow card was issued - the situation seemed a bit odd.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 12:04:51    1625211

Link

Definitely can't compare the Armagh Cavan, Dublin Meath brawls. No 0ne got fish-hooked or bitten in the Armagh Cavan one for a start.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 24/07/2014 12:09:48    1625218

Link

I know technically a punch is a punch and a red card offence, but if a melee does happen, should the ref send off 4-5 players from the one team?! Even one player being sent off can tip the balance, and can destroy an enjoyable game for the players and spectators. The ref should be trying to keep it at 15v15 unless a player forces his hand and thoroughly deserves a red. Come on it's not soccer. In my opinion, no one from the meath/dublin game deserved to be sent off. Flare ups happen, let the players dust themselves down and get on with it, shake hands after.

HenryHill16 (Dublin) - Posts: 249 - 24/07/2014 12:15:58    1625225

Link

And no one in the Meath/Dublin game was unable to play in the game because of injuries picked up in the brawl - there are all sorts of differences really Breffni so comparing them doesn't make sense. The posters on here are much more inconsistent than the disciplinary panel for sure.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 12:16:54    1625226

Link

Soma
County: UK

1625211 How many punches were thrown Sunday Greengrass, I know Burke threw one and missed (he was lucky to get off) but how many more were there and who threw them? I have watched it a few times and cant really see any, but I could well be missing them. The situation is in no way comparable to the farce in Clones between Armagh and Cavan, a brawl before the parade started and band members trying to protect smaller members of the band and largely thought to be premeditated. Surely you would agree Clones and Croke Park on Sunday were much more comparable than Croke Park and Armagh/Cavan. Id be interested to know what happened to Michael Murphy Sunday. He went down off the ball and needed lengthy treatment, yet only a yellow card was issued - the situation seemed a bit odd.

Wow, an astonishing lack of partiality. If you only saw one punch in the Dublin Meath brawl then I'm sorry ------> specsavers

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 24/07/2014 12:19:15    1625229

Link

Soma mentioning Clones only re-affirms my initial point. It is not about dividing Provinces, it is about consistency for all teams participating in the Championship. To be honest what I seen in Croke Park looked serious enough compared to other incidents this summer, if you seen the same in Clones fair enough, you will agree with the consistency call then.

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 24/07/2014 12:21:35    1625234

Link

Common consensus was that not a lot happened Murphy. Ryan McHugh needed a blood sub. I don't think anyone can say that what happened in Armagh was premeditated. More of a case of two teams hyped up and not willing to back down. Monaghan lost a home NFL Division One game two years ago over a whole lot less than what happened in Croker on Sunday. You are right about Mickey Burke. If 4 players were suspended in Armagh then so should Burke.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 6031 - 24/07/2014 12:23:34    1625236

Link

Soma I'm afraid you have no right to talk about consistency Soma while condoning the brawl on Sunday. There is absolutely no logic to what you are saying I'm afraid.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 24/07/2014 12:25:27    1625238

Link

I appreciate your point greengrass, but in fairness, what made the cavan-armagh one worse was that the band were stuck in the middle of it. You cant honestly pretend that this isn't a factor in the decision. It is one thing guys pushing and shoving among themselves, they are well able to handle themselves, but where bystanders - mainly kids - are dragged in it is too much. For instance, compare it to the tyrone-armagh skirmish, that didn't involve kids and members of the public, and the outcome is pretty much identical to that of meath-dublin. Double standards? No. Different circumstances

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 24/07/2014 12:25:32    1625240

Link

Sam as far as I know the only suspensions so far this year, or investigation into an incident, was for the Armagh/Cavan incident, a melee that started before the teams even paraded and which required band members to take cover. Therefore, while Sundays Croke Park incident was a sorry sight, the fact it was in no way comparable to the Armagh/Cavan incident suggests that there is no inconsistency so I am unsure of the point of this thread.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 12:31:01    1625247

Link

Thanks Greengrass, I was surprised it wasn't focused on more just because of how long Murphy stayed down and the length of time the physio was dealing with him. If there was very little in it then there is a very obvious question to be asked but I don't want the hassle of asking it....

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 12:36:22    1625249

Link

Breffni Im very disappointed to find out I condoned the brawl in Croke Park - can you show me where I done that and I will ask the admins to remove my post. Thanks.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 24/07/2014 12:38:41    1625251

Link

Soma - cop on.

HenryHill - I agree with your comments, I'm sure you apply the same logic to the Armagh vs Cavan handbags?

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 24/07/2014 12:39:59    1625253

Link