National Forum

O'Grady vacates Limerick hurling post/crisis?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214480

kerryluck (Kerry) - Posts: 2517 - 21/04/2014 10:56:52    1577906

Link

This was posted as a new thread but as the subject matter is the same it has been incorporated here.

bloodandbandage
Cork

21/04/2014
11:02

O'Grady steps down..... Again

Disappointed to read this. Limerick hurling was starting to get going again. A great season last year, and while they just missed out on promotion this year, I for one was looking forward to their championship campaign. I've always enjoyed watching good Limerick teams but this is a right kick just before championship. I hope it doesn't effect them too much.
Anyone in Limerick know what's going on? Sounds like some elements were trying to undermine the management team.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 21/04/2014 11:11:04    1577918

Link

I thought when i read a statement a couple of weeks back,that the management apologised to the board over their abysmal league performance that something did not add up.Apart from the concession of 2 late goals in Tullamore which ultimately derailed Limericks promotion prospects ,they did ok.Coming from 6 points behind in their 1st game away to Cork while down to 14 men for 50 odd minutes to draw was a great result.Looks like the county board massaged the wording of a review of the league by Grady and/or Ryan.I believe Grady is correct to jump ship over this slight on his character.Why would an honest man like him put up with an embarrassing,phantom apology that he would never/should never make.Whoever issued the statement is rotten to the core and should be hung out to dry.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 21/04/2014 11:25:42    1577926

Link

our county board should resign................ nope just looked out my windows and did not see pigs fly so thats not goin to happen.
Jaysus its not like limerick to be the laughing stock of the gaa country

Fishermantom (Limerick) - Posts: 569 - 21/04/2014 11:55:38    1577955

Link

Limerick seem head and shoulders above most other counties in making a dog's dinner of so many things. The original report of an apology seemed bizarre.
And you still have Tom Ryan in the background sniping away at every opportunity.

jerryp (Cork) - Posts: 104 - 21/04/2014 11:55:55    1577956

Link

John Allen should never have left the post in the first place, all last years work was undone straight away after.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 21/04/2014 11:56:39    1577957

Link

Proof again that Limerick's obsession with outside managers causes nothing but trouble. O'Grady walks at the first sign of criticism. At least TJRyan stuck around til another manager can be found

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 21/04/2014 12:24:23    1577968

Link

Hurling needs Limerick to be strong , hurling does not need the Limerick county board .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/04/2014 12:25:11    1577969

Link

Limerick had made progress last year but this was always going to be a crunch year for them no matter who was in charge.
I dont blame O'Grady for stepping down if the people who employed him are brandishing his good name.
If I was in the same situation I would have done exactly the same.
IMO O'Grady should never have gone back there in the first place as after a terrible 2009 & 2010 he was the man who rose Limerick hurling again in 2011 and bought some pride back in to the jersey and the county.He done his time and anyway this joint management stuff doesnt work in a county like Limerick. It has worked in other counties i.e. Clare minor & U21 I believe but when it comes to Senior only 1 guy should be calling the shots.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 21/04/2014 12:33:59    1577976

Link

Cuederocket we had an abysmal league. We drew with a poor Cork team and that was respectable away from home with 14 men. We then struggled for 50 mins against Antrim before admittedly putting up a bigger score than anyone else against them. We were v poor against a depleted Wexford (though depleted ourselves) we would have lost that game AT HOME were it not for moving Downes to 12 with 10 mins to go. A move that worked so well against Wxford wasn't used at all when failing to beat a very average Offaly. We were dire against Laois. All of this is poor enough but the worst part of it was that we stuck with a game plan that wasn't working, we selected players who no one thought were county standard and anything that did work i.e. Downes at 12 wasn't tried again.

Limerick hurling people were hugely disappointed with our league performance and it was right that the CB relayed this to the management. What was of course unforgiveable was to misquote the managements reply. I agree that O Grady had no option after that despicable action. Particularly so when the management had received an undertaking to right the record and didn't.

Now for the man who says we should have kept on John Allen. Im sorry but in my view you couldn't be more wrong. We lost a league final against Clare as he stood on the side line and watched a full back be thorn to shreds while all he had to do was switch Condon in to 3 AS HAD BEEN DONE TO HUGE SUCCESS THE YEAR BEFORE. We weren't even asking him to be creative all he had to do was copy what happened 12 months previous.

We had tipp beaten in thurles in 12 and he took off Allis and brought on Geary to play as a fourth half back with only 2 half forwards we imploded and tipp beat us. Easily the worst switch I have seen in over 40 years watching lk.

Against Dublin in the league we lost by a point, we started our second best free taker who missed 2 soft ones, we beat Dublin earlier by bringing hannon from 14 to 12 and didn't even try it for 5 mins in final and we didn't even make a positional switch until 59 mins had passed. If a junior B club manager did that he would be sacked.

He deserves credit for Munster c ship win last year but then when we got to the semis we were the only one of the 4 teams who didn't perform. We were beaten before we left limerick.

Most recently he wrote an article saying he didn't believe in winning at all costs and dropping players who were training hard is unfair.

If the choice is to be where we are or to have our old manager back as bad as it is now I would accept to be where we are.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 21/04/2014 12:36:25    1577980

Link

Damothedub
County: Dublin

Hurling needs Limerick to be strong , hurling does not need the Limerick county board .

why does hurling need limerick to be strong? thats like the people saying that hurling needs a strong offaly?
why not hurling needs kerry/carlow/westmeath/laois/london/antrim to be strong?

kerryluck (Kerry) - Posts: 2517 - 21/04/2014 12:55:43    1577993

Link

It's sad to see the Limerick situation become what it is, an embarrassment. Limerick has a proud tradition and they have worked hard to get thu gs right with well regarded managers appointed. It must be very disappointing for the players.
I can fully understand O Gradys perspective.

It will be difficult to turn this situation around. For Limerick to work well, al participants have role to play and It requires hard work to get things on the right track and keep them there.

It would be of assistance if the person responsible came out and openly admitted his mistake.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 21/04/2014 13:20:42    1578010

Link

Looking like a Cork/Clare vs. Tipperary Munster final. It's nice to know we're not the only ones with a shambles of a county board.

RebelCork (Cork) - Posts: 789 - 21/04/2014 13:40:08    1578020

Link

21/04/2014 12:55:43
kerryluck
County: Kerry

Damothedub

why does hurling need limerick to be strong? thats like the people saying that hurling needs a strong offaly?

Check your own page last week , I posted in favour of Kerry and wanted a win v Offaly , I posted on Carlow through the Ml Rangers campaign , we need all the counties mentioned by yourself for the best intrests of hurling , however the thread started was about Limerick not Kerry or anyone else , I follow kerry exploits and have posted on your page a lot more than many of your fellow county men .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/04/2014 14:01:03    1578031

Link

Once again the limerick county board have let down limerick hurling and the limerick hurling supporters. O' grady was right to leave why should he put up with lies being said about him coming from the county board.the county boards role is to facilitate the management and players of county teams as best they can.

Instead they seem to have hidden agendas and too much of a say into what is going on, they are more interfering than anything else.henry martin probably should have waited a few years before he wrote his book 'unlimited heartbreak'. I feel the worst is yet to come.

DurkaDurka (Limerick) - Posts: 63 - 21/04/2014 14:08:16    1578032

Link

Damothedub
Your dead right in what you say and have noticed your always giving support to weaker counties so kerryluck should watch he criticisms.
I wouldnt worry about Limerick.
Our organisation is a disgrace, our county board is a disgrace and for some reason we cannot find a limerick man to manage a team so we have to rely on guys from outside with no loyalty.
I know tj ryan is in charge but his cv was an embarrasement and he still got the job, this is a another stain on the repuatation of the county board.
The most important thing though is players, we still have a lot of player and our minor team this year is very strong as is our under 21. So im not worried about limerick hurling being competitive. Im worried about never winnin and all ireland because everything has to be right for it and the county board are slowing us down

Fishermantom (Limerick) - Posts: 569 - 21/04/2014 14:16:45    1578039

Link

Damothedub

kerryluck

Damothedub

Check your own page last week , I posted in favour of Kerry and wanted a win v Offaly , I posted on Carlow through the Ml Rangers campaign , we need all the counties mentioned by yourself for the best intrests of hurling , however the thread started was about Limerick not Kerry or anyone else , I follow kerry exploits and have posted on your page a lot more than many of your fellow county men .

but why do hurling need limerick to be strong?

kerryluck (Kerry) - Posts: 2517 - 21/04/2014 14:32:21    1578045

Link

kerryluck

Damothedub

kerryluck

Damothedub

but why do hurling need limerick to be strong?

A numbers game , IMO theres not enough counties putting it up to the TIpps and KKs of the world , Id have made the same statement about Antrim , Wexford or half a dozen other counties , being one of the ones who perhaps have a genuine chance of competing for provincial/ Liam honours its a pity to see them shoot themselves in the foot , think statement is fairly easy to understand , if you disagree fair enough .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/04/2014 14:43:27    1578048

Link

21/04/2014 14:16:45
Fishermantom
County: Limerick

Damothedub
Your dead right in what you say and have noticed your always giving support to weaker counties so kerryluck should watch he criticisms.
I wouldnt worry about Limerick.
Our organisation is a disgrace, our county board is a disgrace and for some reason we cannot find a limerick man to manage a team so we have to rely on guys from outside with no loyalty.
I know tj ryan is in charge but his cv was an embarrasement and he still got the job, this is a another stain on the repuatation of the county board.
The most important thing though is players, we still have a lot of player and our minor team this year is very strong as is our under 21. So im not worried about limerick hurling being competitive. Im worried about never winnin and all ireland because everything has to be right for it and the county board are slowing us down

Cheers , Fishermantom

Dublin are not a so called traditional hurling power , since getting into this code through my kids , Ive watched the progress of Dublin obviously , but keep an eye on other counties similarly branded non traditional , at a 14s blitz recently and very impressed by what I saw from Laois .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/04/2014 15:40:56    1578074

Link

Taking the statement in the Irish Examiner as true, and to Quote from some of the statement. At the outset of this meeting Chairman, Oliver Mann, admitted without issue, that no apology was ever tendered to the officers by the management. It was decided to issue a statement on the Limerick GAA website the following day withdrawing the untrue statement, while clarifying others. This did not happen. End of quote. I am just wondering what did the Chairman of the County Board think would happen when the agreed statement wasn't published on the Limerick GAA website, or are they disputing the facts as published in the Irish Examiner.

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 665 - 21/04/2014 17:42:15    1578117

Link