National Forum

Should Galway GAA be split into 4

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hi All,

Just wondering what the thoughts are on splitting Galway in 4 to make it a level playing field for other counties? Galway's sheer dominance of both code over the last few months have left the majority of the country annoyed at the glaring disparigy when it comes to Galway V's the rest of Ireland. Many reports suggest that the sunny weather and allure of the Spanish Arch has drawn an population increase to the county.

Should the GAA HQ and Connacht Council look to divide the counties bubbling line of talent to ensure a level playing field for other counties by:

Football (Galway are now Connacht Seniors football champs, won the FBD 2 years in a row, U.21 champs and minor league champs):
- Divide the footballers into 2 and have maybe an over 25s and under 25s play as separate teams in the championship?
- Another alternative would maybe be 'townies' and country lads play as separate teams in the championship?

Hurling (Galway now in the league final after just having a laugh and a bit of craic in 1b for the last few months)
- Divide Galway teams into two maybe based on lads who hurl with even inch hurls (i.e 32, 34's) and lads who hurl with odd numbers (31's, 33.s etc.)
- Of course another suggestion is also that two Galway teams could be made up of lads with farms and lads who work in cusshy office/teaching jobs

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 18/04/2017 08:22:52    1980313

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Hi All,

Just wondering what the thoughts are on splitting Galway in 4 to make it a level playing field for other counties? Galway's sheer dominance of both code over the last few months have left the majority of the country annoyed at the glaring disparigy when it comes to Galway V's the rest of Ireland. Many reports suggest that the sunny weather and allure of the Spanish Arch has drawn an population increase to the county.

Should the GAA HQ and Connacht Council look to divide the counties bubbling line of talent to ensure a level playing field for other counties by:

Football (Galway are now Connacht Seniors football champs, won the FBD 2 years in a row, U.21 champs and minor league champs):
- Divide the footballers into 2 and have maybe an over 25s and under 25s play as separate teams in the championship?
- Another alternative would maybe be 'townies' and country lads play as separate teams in the championship?

Hurling (Galway now in the league final after just having a laugh and a bit of craic in 1b for the last few months)
- Divide Galway teams into two maybe based on lads who hurl with even inch hurls (i.e 32, 34's) and lads who hurl with odd numbers (31's, 33.s etc.)
- Of course another suggestion is also that two Galway teams could be made up of lads with farms and lads who work in cusshy office/teaching jobs"
I like a bit of humour but this is so absurd it's not even funny.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/04/2017 11:30:35    1980377

Link

Replying To baire:  "I like a bit of humour but this is so absurd it's not even funny."
You like humour but you don't like humour - I'm confused?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 18/04/2017 12:23:23    1980402

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "You like humour but you don't like humour - I'm confused?"
I agree, you are confused and so is your thread!

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 18/04/2017 12:42:23    1980410

Link

Not sure they are U21 champs quite yet mate, its defo in the post.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 18/04/2017 13:03:01    1980420

Link

HA :)

Love this thread.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 18/04/2017 13:32:45    1980433

Link

Replying To baire:  "I agree, you are confused and so is your thread!"
Lolz

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 18/04/2017 13:46:44    1980442

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Not sure they are U21 champs quite yet mate, its defo in the post."
Sorry no offence, I meant Connacht champs - lets see how they go Sat week though.....

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 18/04/2017 13:47:15    1980443

Link

poor attempt DOC, must do better.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 18/04/2017 14:01:59    1980449

Link

This is outrageous of all the posts recently this one takes the biscuit , two maybe three but split into four that's just being cocky, Christ who do you think you are Kerry?

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 18/04/2017 14:22:30    1980454

Link

A lot of those minors and u21s also get lured to the Spanish Arch and that's when their playing careers slow down and it does not progress to Senior level.

ref (Galway) - Posts: 246 - 18/04/2017 17:21:50    1980526

Link

Replying To ref:  "A lot of those minors and u21s also get lured to the Spanish Arch and that's when their playing careers slow down and it does not progress to Senior level."
Plenty of the seniors have been lured down over the years as well!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 19/04/2017 09:21:55    1980671

Link

Galway too strong a county - need to divide it up

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 24/04/2017 19:17:29    1982326

Link

Not a bad suggestion. Using the main roads through the county you could divide it easily, with each quarter named for the principle town therein:
1. East of the N-17 and north of the M-6 you'd have Tuamland. The denizens of that region are known for the illustrious footballing skills as well as renowned suppliers of metal gates, used cars, and dogs.
2. West of the N-17, and north of the Coast road, also known as Tir na Mona. Great footballers when they can be bothered making themselves available, and deadly with a loy.
3. South of the M-6: Henceforth to be called Claringorthenryloughkilteyreumna (because as anyone from that region can tell you, THEIR town is the principle town in the region). Amazing hurlers when they're not too busy knocking seven shades out of each other.
4. The Islands. They'd probably be great footballers if they weren't all thar lear i mBastun.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 3097 - 24/04/2017 20:17:00    1982347

Link

- Of course another suggestion is also that two Galway teams could be made up of lads with farms and lads who work in cusshy office/teaching jobs"
You've too much time on your hands.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 24/04/2017 21:13:57    1982360

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Not a bad suggestion. Using the main roads through the county you could divide it easily, with each quarter named for the principle town therein:
1. East of the N-17 and north of the M-6 you'd have Tuamland. The denizens of that region are known for the illustrious footballing skills as well as renowned suppliers of metal gates, used cars, and dogs.
2. West of the N-17, and north of the Coast road, also known as Tir na Mona. Great footballers when they can be bothered making themselves available, and deadly with a loy.
3. South of the M-6: Henceforth to be called Claringorthenryloughkilteyreumna (because as anyone from that region can tell you, THEIR town is the principle town in the region). Amazing hurlers when they're not too busy knocking seven shades out of each other.
4. The Islands. They'd probably be great footballers if they weren't all thar lear i mBastun."
Excellent Idea Fest - these divisions make total sense and to be honest Central council should starting working with Galway GAA immediately to divide up the county along these lines to ensure an even and level playing fields for all counties going into the Championship.

By dividing up the county along the lines you mention imagine how level and competitive the following match-up's would be in the championship:

- Islands Vs New York (as you outlined basically Boston Vs NYC), whith the islands hopefully making it through to face Sligo in the Championship
- Tir na Mona or Coast Road Vs Mayo in the Championship: Too close to call
- South Galway clubs knocking lumps out of each other (provided a ban on club games, cutting of silage - until exit of championship: Vs Kilkenny or Tipp?
- NE Galway Vs Westmeath: A clash of the clans

Great thinking Fesht!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 25/04/2017 08:39:57    1982413

Link

After last weekend I really think we need to re-visit this idea

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 16/06/2017 10:52:58    2000257

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "You've too much time on your hands."
Just what I was thinking

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 16/06/2017 11:39:33    2000273

Link

Must try harder.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 16/06/2017 12:01:12    2000279

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Just what I was thinking"
The flow of time is an illusion, the the past, present and future are equally real, and therefore time is tenseless

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 705 - 16/06/2017 12:02:13    2000280

Link