National Forum

Leinster football championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ahh regardless of some people putting it down it still makes hair stand on back of neck.
The contenders? Dublin will obviously be again the team to beat, however Leinster probably has had the some of the best games in championship over last 5 years Meath , Kildare, Louth, Westmeath have all upped their performance this year and are far better equipped for a good championship run than in previous years.
Its a pity that Louth Kildare and Meath are on same side of draw, as it would have meant dubs having a few more tough matches (I have no doubt they would have them ) as it stands from a Meath perspective should Louth overcome Wicklow which I think the will, then that will be a sell out in Parnell park, a tough encounter for Meath as Louth always bring a game when playing the royal. The winner will I say face Kildare in semi final, I will go for Meath, Meath should overcome Kildare to set up a meeting with dubs, we will give them one hell of a game, Meath this year are a different animal under McEntee will we beat Dublin and end their grasp on Leinster? The head says no but should it happen that we reach final by then I will have convinced myself and anyone else that we will win. Cant wait.
Bring it on

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 15:00:45    1979564

Link

contenders..

1.Dublin

That's it realistically. Pointless having a thread even discussing it if we are all being honest. There is nothing to discuss. Nobody good enough to beat us in the province even if others are progressing

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 15/04/2017 16:07:05    1979583

Link

Okkkk thennnnn :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 15/04/2017 16:17:36    1979589

Link

Okkkk thennnnn :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 15/04/2017 16:27:56    1979595

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "contenders..

1.Dublin

That's it realistically. Pointless having a thread even discussing it if we are all being honest. There is nothing to discuss. Nobody good enough to beat us in the province even if others are progressing"
Wait and see!!!!!

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 16:38:58    1979597

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Okkkk thennnnn :D"
Dont worry, we will see how the dubs cope with a old fashioned Meath. My hunch? They may need a driver for them free cars to drive them home.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 16:40:44    1979598

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "contenders..

1.Dublin

That's it realistically. Pointless having a thread even discussing it if we are all being honest. There is nothing to discuss. Nobody good enough to beat us in the province even if others are progressing"
Very disrespectful post
Annoyingly among some of my fellow county posters they are dismissing Leinster two months in advance and we haven't set the world alight at all this year.
it's ironic people big up Ulster as anybody can beat anyone yet kildare and meath finished in the top 3 in division 2, you would have Antrim,down,Derry,fermanagh and Armagh all currently as weaker teams than both and Louth are currently on a par or better than all of them five teams.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 15/04/2017 17:07:34    1979606

Link

There's only 1 winner.

Still there will be interesting games on the Louth, Meath, Kildare side of the draw.

The team making the Leinster final are at the last 12 stage and would have a good shot against all but the best 3 or 4 sides. So even though I can't see any other winner but Dublin there's a lot to play for still.

Being drawn in Dublin's half of the draw makes it so much harder for a side to get themselves a good championship run.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 15/04/2017 17:16:26    1979610

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Dont worry, we will see how the dubs cope with a old fashioned Meath. My hunch? They may need a driver for them free cars to drive them home."
Sorry pal, just can't see Meath winning it, is that so wrong or disrespectful?

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 15/04/2017 17:34:09    1979614

Link

Dublin were 1/100 odds before every game last year. Nothing has changed. Dead rubber of a competition

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4624 - 15/04/2017 17:41:36    1979618

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Very disrespectful post
Annoyingly among some of my fellow county posters they are dismissing Leinster two months in advance and we haven't set the world alight at all this year.
it's ironic people big up Ulster as anybody can beat anyone yet kildare and meath finished in the top 3 in division 2, you would have Antrim,down,Derry,fermanagh and Armagh all currently as weaker teams than both and Louth are currently on a par or better than all of them five teams."
Leinster had a good league this season.

Meath, Kildare and Louth are all good sides. If any of them played in Ulster they'd have a chance at winning it out. Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan aren't near the level of Dublin, despite all of them giving good accounts of themselves in the league.

Ulster is competitive but the standard has dropped in the last year and a bit. Teams have figured out how to play against ultra defensive set ups.

Ulster football feels to me in a similar place to where Leinster was in the early 2000s. The game has progressed again and I think Ulster are at risk of being left behind.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4210 - 15/04/2017 17:50:02    1979623

Link

Replying To bad.monkey:  "Dublin were 1/100 odds before every game last year. Nothing has changed. Dead rubber of a competition"
Funny that they were 1/10 v Meath last year. Nonsense post.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 18:05:52    1979634

Link

Replying To bad.monkey:  "Dublin were 1/100 odds before every game last year. Nothing has changed. Dead rubber of a competition"
We were 1/10 to beat Donegal in all ireland semi final in 2014, don't think that mattered on the pitch though did it?

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 15/04/2017 18:10:43    1979638

Link

The Leinster championship needs a shot in the arm big time, it's become a box ticking exercise at this stage. Kildare, Meath and Louth should all fancy their chances of getting to the Leinster final but what then.

It's very hard to see Dublin getting toppled this year but whoever ends up facing them in the final needs to put up a good show and give it a right rattle, we all have to improve to put an end to these walkover Leinster championships. Eventually Dublin's wave will break and roll back and whoever has put in the most work will take their place, won't be this year of course, but it will happen at some stage and it mightn't be as far away as you think.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 15/04/2017 18:17:56    1979644

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Funny that they were 1/10 v Meath last year. Nonsense post."
Ha surprised you dont remember it was going to pay off your mortgage..;)

link

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4624 - 15/04/2017 18:44:08    1979656

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Sorry pal, just can't see Meath winning it, is that so wrong or disrespectful?"
I didn't say it was mate. Just the Meath team this year will be a beast of a different colour altogether than what Dublin have faced in recent years (should it happen) McEntee Meath is unrecognizable to O'Dowd's. Few new players and others finally reaching their potential,also much fitter and tougher . Not sayin dubs wont win it out but should they meet Meath there wont be much more than a few points in it. But there is potentially a few cracking games in Leinster Offaly v Westmeath. Louth v Meath # Kildare v Meath #
(#should they meet#) . Like yourself at this time (it will change should we meet) I think Dublin would be fav to win. But some disrespectful posts others have posted. The games are mostly derby games and a managers career can often be defined by how they get on, look at micko with Meath that loss to Westmeath effectively ended him with fans and players alike. Its still very relevant regardless of if you going to win it or not. And there is some excellent football played in it too.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 18:53:27    1979663

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Very disrespectful post
it's ironic people big up Ulster as anybody can beat anyone yet kildare and meath finished in the top 3 in division 2, you would have Antrim,down,Derry,fermanagh and Armagh all currently as weaker teams than both and Louth are currently on a par or better than all of them five teams."
You see we can agree on somethings lol

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 18:54:20    1979664

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "The Leinster championship needs a shot in the arm big time, it's become a box ticking exercise at this stage. Kildare, Meath and Louth should all fancy their chances of getting to the Leinster final but what then.

It's very hard to see Dublin getting toppled this year but whoever ends up facing them in the final needs to put up a good show and give it a right rattle, we all have to improve to put an end to these walkover Leinster championships. Eventually Dublin's wave will break and roll back and whoever has put in the most work will take their place, won't be this year of course, but it will happen at some stage and it mightn't be as far away as you think."
Agree 100%.actually if its not this year it will be next, the dubs reign of farming Leinster is coming to a end. Wouldn't surprise me if at least 3 Leinster sides ended up in quarters, Meath Kildare and Louth or Westmeath just might do it.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/04/2017 18:57:37    1979665

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Agree 100%.actually if its not this year it will be next, the dubs reign of farming Leinster is coming to a end. Wouldn't surprise me if at least 3 Leinster sides ended up in quarters, Meath Kildare and Louth or Westmeath just might do it."
:)

Another wave of talented U21s on the way

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 15/04/2017 19:03:15    1979669

Link

The best of Meath, Kildare or Louth wouldnt beat Dublin this year. Unless there were 13 Meath lads on the team but we wouldn't agree to that! So Dublin comfortably again this year.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 15/04/2017 19:44:59    1979691

Link