National Forum

Would AOS or COC be a Dublin regular?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Genuine question, not shit stirring, just want genuine opinions
Would either AOS or COC get game time, and I mean 50 mins a game kinda game time for Dublin?
I honestly dont think so.
AOS certainly wouldn't make the Dubs MF, would he make it as our 11? Again, all players fit, not for me. Dubs half forward line all players fit would be
Connolly Kilkenny Mannion, I dont see him getting in there
As for COC, up to now his greatest threat has been his free taking, and that has waned this year significantly. Deano is a better free taker and as good if not a better footballer. No way after that that he dislodges Con. So would he take the last spot over Andrews/Kmc/Brogan et al....again, not for me.

As I said, this is not a go at them, don't go taking it as a slight, its a genuine question.

Thanks

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 20/09/2017 14:20:54    2048576

Link

If Eoghan O'Gara is good enough to make it then there are a huge amount of footballers in the country good enough to make it.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 20/09/2017 14:44:24    2048585

Link

No, neither are any better than whats already there for Dublin. Rock over COC everyday and Kilkenny over AOS also. AOS would add somethi ng for his aerial ability but not mobile enough for the Dublin engine room in my opinion

dully83 (Dublin) - Posts: 9 - 20/09/2017 14:56:21    2048588

Link

Replying To Soma:  "If Eoghan O'Gara is good enough to make it then there are a huge amount of footballers in the country good enough to make it."
EOG isnt a regular or anything like it!!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 20/09/2017 15:14:41    2048600

Link

Coc used to offer much more from play, these days he seems to only be there for the frees so no to him

Aos would walk onto the Dublin team taking either MF position or playing as ff

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1591 - 20/09/2017 15:16:22    2048602

Link

Yeah I think that you can't compare footballers for other Counties as are with Dublin as is - apples and oranges and all that. If AOS was in the Dublin set-up then he would probably be a better footballer than he is in the Mayo set up. Same could probably be said about numerous County players around the country. I've seen club players leave one club where they were mediocre enough and become a completely different player for another club in a short space of time. The players ability didn't necessary get any better - just the set up of the other club, their training techniques etc etc brought more out of the player.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 20/09/2017 15:29:40    2048610

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Coc used to offer much more from play, these days he seems to only be there for the frees so no to him

Aos would walk onto the Dublin team taking either MF position or playing as ff"
AOS would get on ahead of James McCarthy or Brian Fenton...??
Sure he would!! :) :)

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 20/09/2017 15:31:08    2048613

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "EOG isnt a regular or anything like it!!"
He started Sunday in the biggest game of the year, I don't think he would get a starting place in the Mayo team. It's horses for courses which is why your question is a silly one with no definitive answer.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 20/09/2017 15:35:01    2048617

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Genuine question, not shit stirring, just want genuine opinions
Would either AOS or COC get game time, and I mean 50 mins a game kinda game time for Dublin?
I honestly dont think so.
AOS certainly wouldn't make the Dubs MF, would he make it as our 11? Again, all players fit, not for me. Dubs half forward line all players fit would be
Connolly Kilkenny Mannion, I dont see him getting in there
As for COC, up to now his greatest threat has been his free taking, and that has waned this year significantly. Deano is a better free taker and as good if not a better footballer. No way after that that he dislodges Con. So would he take the last spot over Andrews/Kmc/Brogan et al....again, not for me.

As I said, this is not a go at them, don't go taking it as a slight, its a genuine question.

Thanks"
This is a bit of a silly thread. We all know Dublin have the best panel of players and doing 3 in a row proves this but why the need to question players who continuously run Dublin so close? Enjoy your own team without worrying about others. Any team that has the luxury of starting an All Ireland final without Connolly, Brogan, Kevin Mc, MDMA and Paul Flynn among others shouldn't really be too concerned if players from other counties make their starting 15 or not.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 20/09/2017 15:49:54    2048620

Link

Aidan O'Shea destroyed Dublin in mdifield in the first half, he'd walk onto the team and anyone who syas otherwise is completely and utterly delusional.He plays on Dublins team and he'd help fix the one slight weakness they can display at times which is fielding the ball in midfield.

Cillian O'connor would be an improvement on Paddy Andrews and it would be a toss up between him and Dean Rock at times.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 20/09/2017 16:15:10    2048630

Link

i knew some of ye would make out like this was an anti mayo thing!!
its a simple pondering!
Its not an attack on the same lads....

ye are no craic

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 20/09/2017 16:19:02    2048631

Link

No. They're from Mayo! Why start a thread asking people's opinions on a topic to simply ignore their replies and delight in belittling them?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 20/09/2017 16:19:39    2048632

Link

Replying To Soma:  "If Eoghan O'Gara is good enough to make it then there are a huge amount of footballers in the country good enough to make it."
Ha!

About the reply with the same thing!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 20/09/2017 16:19:56    2048633

Link

I don't think AOS fits into Dublin because of the way they play he suits mayo down to the ground so no I don't think he would be a regular for the dubs.

As For COC I think he would be a regular I think brogan is a better footballer but he is a bench player now in Gavins eyes so I do think COC would get in there ahead of the above mentioned.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 760 - 20/09/2017 16:20:05    2048634

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Yeah I think that you can't compare footballers for other Counties as are with Dublin as is - apples and oranges and all that. If AOS was in the Dublin set-up then he would probably be a better footballer than he is in the Mayo set up. Same could probably be said about numerous County players around the country. I've seen club players leave one club where they were mediocre enough and become a completely different player for another club in a short space of time. The players ability didn't necessary get any better - just the set up of the other club, their training techniques etc etc brought more out of the player."
Why are you taking this thread seriosly?

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 20/09/2017 16:20:47    2048636

Link

Eoghan O Gara was selected for the big game of the year on Sunday, Jim Gavin believed that was Dublins best.
I believe Mayo will get as many All Stars this Year as Dublin, so that should give you a good idea as to how
many Mayo players would get on the Dublin team.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 598 - 20/09/2017 16:36:46    2048644

Link

Lads Cillian didn't have his best year but he scored 3 points from play in the All ireland final and works harder than any other Mayo player on the pitch. What he does off the ball is remarkable. Yes he's always in the ear of the ref but when he scored 0-3 from play on the biggest day it is ignored because he missed too frees. I don't thing there is a player in the country that gets judged as harshly as he does.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 20/09/2017 16:40:06    2048646

Link

Both would start.

AO'S at this point of his career is still better than Con O'Callaghan for now, although O'Callaghan appears to have the potential to be a great it's still early days for him.

Not much between Cillian O'C and Rock. I think O'Connor could comfortably start ahead of Andrews.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4207 - 20/09/2017 16:40:40    2048647

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Coc used to offer much more from play, these days he seems to only be there for the frees so no to him

Aos would walk onto the Dublin team taking either MF position or playing as ff"
You're taking the p*ss if you think aos would get into the dublin midfield ahead of Brian Fenton.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 20/09/2017 17:35:32    2048673

Link

I'll be honest and say Cillian has not been the same free taker since he had that groin injury and he defo doesn't look as confident as he used to but there was a thread already on here questioning him before the quarter final. Then he had a stormer and the thread said let's see what he does on the biggest day against Dublin. He misses a couple of frees yes but scores 0-3 from play and of course silence as the begrudgers on here only remember the frees. And he picked up vital breaks in his own half many times after chasing back. The amount of ground he covers tackling and chasing is off the charts.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 20/09/2017 17:45:42    2048680

Link