National Forum

The Dublin GAA Population

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Dubs have one Sam in 17 years. Not really Great stats. I have to laugh the media are already writing the headlines for September in March. I predict that Dublin will not win Sam. I have a feeling Donegal or Tyrone this year.

kerryrowz (Kerry) - Posts: 833 - 01/03/2013 21:08:56    1341130

Link

Its funnywhen the bluewave report came out, some people on here were laughing at the DUBS, saying we were arrogant and who did we think we were, that we would win nothing, win a few underage matches by big scores and the same people want Dublin divided up.
when we have won 5 all irelands in a row , ye lets look at the reasons then, at the moment 1 allireland since 1995 hardly dominance.

Its like now every journalist has to have a take on this story or their editor wont be happy,

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 01/03/2013 21:40:58    1341144

Link

we have the same problem here in Cavan. too many players. some of our top players can't even get on the panel and have to resort to transferring out of the county in order to get a game. Perhaps we will see the same happening in Dublin soon.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 02/03/2013 08:35:45    1341155

Link

Some good points for and against. I myself wouldn't stop going to watch football but I would stop supporting, and that would be a shame. The fan base would be turned upside down. The overall attendances would fall and this would hurt the GAA badly. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of the genuine fans of other counties would take as much pleasure in beating 0.25 or 0.5 Dublin team. I know wouldn't take beating West Kerry or East Cork as a major triumph.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8589 - 02/03/2013 09:41:35    1341173

Link

Well heres a point

Instead of splitting up.. why not try joining up

It's already been mentioned

Why couldnt CB's join together? Carlow / Longford - Offaly / Laois - Galway / Leitrim - Cavan / Monaghan - Mayo / Roscommon

It's as radical an idea as splitting Dublin up in 4 IMO

Beelzedub (Dublin) - Posts: 480 - 02/03/2013 10:20:35    1341182

Link

Well I wouldn't be for the split myself. England have multiple times the playing numbers than Ireland in rugby as an example but that's the challenge and that's what makes it even sweeter when we do beat them. And teams will still be able to challenge, especially in a knock-out competition. Look at a tiny club club like Caltra who just produced one outstanding generation of players from a very small pick and ended up winning the All-Ireland.

Also I've said this before and I think it should be re-iterated that if Dublin win all before them this year it doesn't diminish that achievement any. How could it? But there's no doubt the increasing urbanisation of society in Ireland and the increasing professionalism of inter-county setups does represent a challenge to the association and could radically alter the levelness of the playing field. Maybe at some point, something equally radical will need to be done to keep things competitive.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 02/03/2013 11:23:49    1341200

Link

I have to say that I'd be totally against splitting up the Dublin team, I grew up on Meath v Dublin and while we've slipped away from the top table over the last decade games against Dublin are still the most important on the calender for me. I think splitting Dublin would take a lot of the glamour away from local derby matches aswell as big games against the likes of Kerry, Mayo and Donegal etc etc.

But the above is from a personal point of view, now the practical point of view, what are the benefits? Well as has been mentioned many times here before the Dubs have only the 1 AI in the last 17 years so while they do have by far the biggest population they aren't exactly running away with it every year. Also how does splitting up Dublin make it fairer for counties with very small picks like Longford, Leitrim and Carlow etc, North and South Dublin would still have the guts of 600,000 people living in them so there'd have to be plenty more splits to make it an even playing field.

I think splitting Dublin is just a weak little fantasy shared by only a select few, but it has no real benefits. If the GAA are genuinely concerned about counties having a huge population advantage and weaker counties struggling badly as a result then they should turn pro and introduce a draft system similar to the one in NFL, otherwise things should remain the same.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 02/03/2013 12:53:37    1341223

Link

Htaem
County: Meath

1341223 I have to say that I'd be totally against splitting up the Dublin team, I grew up on Meath v Dublin and while we've slipped away from the top table over the last decade games against Dublin are still the most important on the calender for me. I think splitting Dublin would take a lot of the glamour away from local derby matches aswell as big games against the likes of Kerry, Mayo and Donegal etc etc.

But the above is from a personal point of view, now the practical point of view, what are the benefits? Well as has been mentioned many times here before the Dubs have only the 1 AI in the last 17 years so while they do have by far the biggest population they aren't exactly running away with it every year. Also how does splitting up Dublin make it fairer for counties with very small picks like Longford, Leitrim and Carlow etc, North and South Dublin would still have the guts of 600,000 people living in them so there'd have to be plenty more splits to make it an even playing field.

I think splitting Dublin is just a weak little fantasy shared by only a select few, but it has no real benefits. If the GAA are genuinely concerned about counties having a huge population advantage and weaker counties struggling badly as a result then they should turn pro and introduce a draft system similar to the one in NFL, otherwise things should remain the same.

well said.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 02/03/2013 16:06:47    1341282

Link