National Forum

Puke football!!!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

dubbydave.
County: Dublin

1180530 benjyyy
County: Donegal

So in essence you are saying that your players were not versatile enough to adapt? Is this not what any opposition should do - try to take the other team out of their comfort zone? So really you are saying that Donegal did not play the formation that Dublin wanted them to....call me crazy but I think that counts as good tactics

versatile or adapt how can dublin or any team apapt when donegal defend in numbers if the opponent has the ball donegal can be sure to have 5-6 man around them gauranteed..

I have to agree with benjyyy, it was up to Dublin to adapt and overcome the Donegal tactics. They both had 15 players on the pitch that day ( granted until the sending off ), but if Donegal had 5-6 men around a single Dublin player, then where are the other 13 outfield Dublin players?? Surely this scenario would/should create space for 5-6 Dublin players then?
I

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 25/05/2012 17:37:34    1180574

Link

GaryMc82
County: Derry

1180574 dubbydave.
County: Dublin

1180530 benjyyy
County: Donegal

So in essence you are saying that your players were not versatile enough to adapt? Is this not what any opposition should do - try to take the other team out of their comfort zone? So really you are saying that Donegal did not play the formation that Dublin wanted them to....call me crazy but I think that counts as good tactics

versatile or adapt how can dublin or any team apapt when donegal defend in numbers if the opponent has the ball donegal can be sure to have 5-6 man around them gauranteed..

I have to agree with benjyyy, it was up to Dublin to adapt and overcome the Donegal tactics. They both had 15 players on the pitch that day ( granted until the sending off ), but if Donegal had 5-6 men around a single Dublin player, then where are the other 13 outfield Dublin players?? Surely this scenario would/should create space for 5-6 Dublin players then?
I

of course it creates space but when your tackled by that many defenders its not that easy to get the pass off ..

dubbydave. (Dublin) - Posts: 3927 - 25/05/2012 20:35:50    1180653

Link

Seriously Dave don't waste your time I gave up hours ago.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 25/05/2012 20:47:33    1180662

Link

Clondalkin - You only gave up because you don't have an answer ;-). You're right though dublin did eventually win the game so they did beat the tactics and well done to them... there was several circumstances apart from tactics (and lets face it took dublin a long time to get on top tactically) as to why they eventually did come out on top (with Karl Lacey going off injured being one as he was one of the few donegal men to carry the ball out of our defence and past your defensive wall).

But that's surely the best answer to tactics that you don't like so I don't see why you are still getting worked up about it. The game is supposed to evolve and some tactics may not be the nicest to look at and some may be brilliant to look at but neither will last unless ultimately they're successful. So will Jim Mcguinness play that ultra-defensively again... well you would have to say he would be a bit naive if he did... because it didn't work last time. But he'd also be naive and basically stupid to ditch all aspects of the defensive structure all together... Ultimately he wants to Donegal to win the AI so he's going to learn and tweak until he gets formula right.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 26/05/2012 13:16:01    1180823

Link

I gave my answers anyone at the match would agree with me totally. I'm beering now so good luck puke county football posters.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 26/05/2012 15:34:49    1180896

Link

Well enjoy the beers so (and the sunshine)... Hope there's no wee green and gold men chasing you down tomorrow... What's that coming over the hill - it's Michael Murphy!!! (and Neil McGee and Karl Lacey and Anthony Thompson)...

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 26/05/2012 16:18:19    1180919

Link

Plenty of 'puke football' on show today, north and south!

The hurling was outstanding in comparison!
Kerry are just as guilty of 'puke football' as any team now
Pat, Jack must be getting pointers from Jimmy! Lol
Its a pity pat wasn't there when joe brolly was

TheGateKeeper (Tyrone) - Posts: 2843 - 27/05/2012 19:41:29    1181426

Link

Plenty of 'puke football' on show today, north and south!
The hurling was outstanding in comparison!
Kerry are just as guilty of 'puke football' as any team now
Pat, Jack must be getting pointers from Jimmy! Lol
Its a pity pat wasn't there when joe brolly was
havin a pop after the game! The game is in need of change!

TheGateKeeper (Tyrone) - Posts: 2843 - 27/05/2012 19:42:24    1181427

Link

I really don't think any team can give out about another teams style of play as everyone is playing defensive football. The rules have to be changed to counteract this. It really is hard to watch football these days! The hurling game was very enjoyable in contrast (although it wasn't too enjoyable for 50 mins)

tipptothetop (Tipperary) - Posts: 531 - 27/05/2012 20:09:18    1181450

Link

The games today, or what I've seen of them so far. UFC Monaghan / Antrim, boring MFC Tipperary/Kerry Boring, LFC Wicklow /Meath slightly better than the other 2 games. M H C Tipperary /Limerick Brilliant non stop action played by two teams who wanted to play, especially in the last 25 minutes when Tipp made a herculean effort to pull the game out of the fire, and done it. I think there was something 6 or 7 yellow cards , no reds, and no rancour from any of the players

8596 (Armagh) - Posts: 30 - 27/05/2012 20:31:17    1181467

Link

Have to say there was very little puke football tactics at meath v wicklow today for most it was a open match some great scores from both teams but if anyone watches sunday game tonight they will see a simply astonishing performance by graham reilly pace, skill, and accuracy. Poetry in motion. Now unfortunately he was taken out of game by a what appeared to be a very cynical foul. I hope I am wrong and that it was more accident than anything more but I shall watch tonight and see then .

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 27/05/2012 20:55:43    1181487

Link

Yes, the hurling yesterday really shows the entertainment gap between both codes.
Limerick are not on anyone's list for the Liam McCarthy and are in that bracket below the big guns but would a football county in a similar bracket say Donegal, Meath, Down, Armagh, Kildare have entertained us as much?

ballybannongael (Down) - Posts: 547 - 28/05/2012 13:45:24    1181873

Link

tipptothetop
County: Tipperary

1181450 I really don't think any team can give out about another teams style of play as everyone is playing defensive football. The rules have to be changed to counteract this. It really is hard to watch football these days! The hurling game was very enjoyable in contrast (although it wasn't too enjoyable for 50 mins)

Football should be left alone to evolve naturally. I agree that some weaker teams have adopted more defensive tactics this year, but in fairness i think they will soon realise its still pointless unless they have the players to carry it. Donegal can carry it, as they have a youthful talented squad who can play an high intensity game for long periods. But even Donegal have been working on improving their attacking game, showing that reliance on a single style/system is pointless.
If you watch football games from the 70's, 80's and 90's, some of those games were terrible. Low scoring, low entertainment value and low quality football at times.

Hurling has always had a faster pace, and is stunning to watch. I enjoyed the Tipp v Limerick game yesterday, definitely better than the Kerry v Tipp game. ( yes I was convinced for 50 mins that Limerick had the better of Tipp ). But in saying that, Hurling has big issues of its own. Namely it has lost its All Ireland dimension, which football still has. Hurling has deteriorated to such a low level in most counties, that it could take 20-30 years to revive to a state were these counties could compete with Kilkenny or Tipperary. Hurling doesnt have an All Ireland anymore, as not all of the 32 teams can actually win the competiton every year anymore.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 28/05/2012 20:50:46    1182346

Link

The football isn't a 32 team competition either there are really only 3 or 4 possible winners every year. There will be some good games in the hurling this year however I think we will struggle to find a good open game of football because no team goes out now to play open football it is all about spoiling the way the other team plays.

tipptothetop (Tipperary) - Posts: 531 - 02/06/2012 19:13:56    1185841

Link

Try watching the S*** thats on BBC2 right now Holland will run up a cricket score against "Our Wee Country"

fortyfive (Tyrone) - Posts: 5929 - 02/06/2012 19:36:36    1185852

Link

fortyfive
County: Tyrone

Try watching the S*** thats on BBC2 right now Holland will run up a cricket score against "Our Wee Country"

-------------

Watching it now cos it's half time in Wexford v the Fateful. It's like that Harlem Globetrotters cartoon that used to be on. Great goalkeeping though!

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 02/06/2012 19:48:21    1185863

Link

Fair play to Donegal playing to their strengths, take no heed of the begrudgers

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4624 - 02/06/2012 20:52:43    1185899

Link

As much as I hate how Donegal play, Fermanagh were just as defensive yesterday.. Yet you won't hear nothing about it!

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 04/06/2012 11:45:06    1186501

Link

Because they weren't succesful and Down managed to put 16 points past them (should have been far more, and would have been if the players got going).

OgraAnDun (Down) - Posts: 406 - 04/06/2012 12:02:09    1186513

Link

You won't hear about it because Fermanagh are a division four side with a very limited group of players. They were muck yesterday, but what can Canavan do? If he tries to open up they get slaughtered, so he plays defensive and tried to keep it close.

Where this differs from Donegal is that Donegal do have the players, they were recent division one champions. If Fermanagh had the likes of Lacey, Murphy, McFadden or McHugh then you would see a different game.

Thats what rankles about Donegals rubbish, its that it was not needed. All they needed was extra discipline, not fourteen men behind the ball.

Its not to excuse Fermanaghs style of play, the game was dire yesterday, but they are a bunch of average club players what else can they do?

Steve (Fermanagh) - Posts: 293 - 04/06/2012 12:26:04    1186535

Link