National Forum

Puke football!!!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

See Donegal posters think its something about them, it's nothing got to do with Donegal people (I have a lot of time for Donegal people) its to do with Jim mcguinness and that rubbish style he has his team playing. And I don't care what people say I've nothing against northern people or anything like that, in fact if you knew my family background and what close relations I have have done up north you would understand that.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 13:33:24    1178782

Link

@ TheMaster

Al Maguire is a perfect example, 'show me proof, it didnt happen unless you show me proof. How about the [insert a game I know was clean] game? You show me the negative play in that game or it isnt true' But again, nobody said this specific game only, or any of these extra parameters that get shoe-horned in in their defence. Al you show me where mayo were too nice against kerry in the league semi, or cork in the AI quarrter final and I will show you the negative play in the dublin game

I never said that Mayo were too nice against Kerry. I haven't yet made any accusations against any county or province as to their styles of play nor will I as I have what's called RESPECT for them and I'm not stupid enought to tar them all with one brush. So I do not need to show any onus of proof. You are the one - as other posters have pointed out who is generalising not me... That's my whole POINT - don't make sweeping general statements unless you can BACK THEM UP!!!!

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 23/05/2012 13:43:00    1178791

Link

Very ironic that Tyrone ever got labelled with the puke football tag, when in 2005 they won the All-Ireland taking the toughest route possible, and won two of the best football matches I've ever seen, in the '05 semi-final and final. That Tyrone team was so good that they were still able to win the 2008 All-Ireland, even when slightly 'over the hill'.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3410 - 23/05/2012 14:11:00    1178824

Link

clondalkindub
County: Dublin

1178782 See Donegal posters think its something about them, it's nothing got to do with Donegal people (I have a lot of time for Donegal people) its to do with Jim mcguinness and that rubbish style he has his team playing. And I don't care what people say I've nothing against northern people or anything like that, in fact if you knew my family background and what close relations I have have done up north you would understand that.

Yeah its something similar to when somebody criticises the dubs over football issues and you take it personally and wonder why everyone hates dubs.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 23/05/2012 14:11:58    1178826

Link

Breff whose that full forward for yous?? He had a great game on the best full back in Ireland. 5 from play is some tally.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 14:23:39    1178839

Link

Pope_Benedict, I totally agree with you. I thought the speed at which that Tyrone team moved the ball and followed up, albeit through the hand, was immense. They attacked in waves and defended in packs, their fitness level was second to none. If that's puke football I'd watch it every Sunday.

spyboy (Antrim) - Posts: 343 - 23/05/2012 14:24:54    1178840

Link

clondalkindub

1178839 Breff whose that full forward for yous?? He had a great game on the best full back in Ireland. 5 from play is some tally.

Eugene Keating. Was a big underage star for Virginia College AI winning teams but never really got the fanfare that some of the our other underage prospects got, so is a little bit under the radar.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 23/05/2012 14:38:45    1178858

Link

Pope Tyrone never played puke football they were class to watch. Only one team up north play puke football.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 15:41:21    1178912

Link

Breffni39
County: Cavan

clondalkindub

1178782 See Donegal posters think its something about them, it's nothing got to do with Donegal people (I have a lot of time for Donegal people) its to do with Jim mcguinness and that rubbish style he has his team playing. And I don't care what people say I've nothing against northern people or anything like that, in fact if you knew my family background and what close relations I have have done up north you would understand that.

Yeah its something similar to when somebody criticises the dubs over football issues and you take it personally and wonder why everyone hates dubs.

Everyone hates the Dubs?!? ;)

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 23/05/2012 15:46:38    1178919

Link

Al Maguire, I didnt make any assertions about the donegal-dublin game either... As for backing it up with proof, can you explain how that could be done? Maybe I can take your route and offer you an impossibility - the proof is on all the rte coverage over the past 10 years, go get it and bring it to me, and I will point out the evidence to you, oh and you have to guess where I live. There is your proof.
Oh amazing, now nobody thinks mayo, galway and sligo have been too nice over the years, well I'll tell you now, they have been, and that is not a generalisation. I am not saying that every footballer in these counties are too nice, which would be a generalisation, I am saying that all of these teams have been in situations outside connaght where if they had been less naive they would have had a better outcome. The reason for this was they had not encountered such play before and were not prepared for it. It is the same idea as when kerry sprung the target man idea again, everyone was caught out, except on this occasion the new tactic was professional fouling. This 'generalisation' bit is actually just an attempt to discredit what is actually an accurate observation. Per county, a higher percentage of naive football is played in connaght, just like a higher percentage of negative football is played in ulster, which indicates that these provinces are strongholds for these styles, but I suppose that is just a generalisation also. The reality is this football originated in ulster and in turn many northern teams have adopted it, just like what happens with any tactic, the only difference is this one happens to entail an awful lot of things that break the rules or go against the ethos of sportsmanship.

Spyboy
I agree with you 100%, nobody is denying that they could play football and very good stuff at that. The thing is you cant just comment on that and not on the negative stuff, which was just as noticeable a tactic in their game as attacking in waves. Both were part of their game plan so praising one and ignoring the other is disingenuous.
Furthermore could we not in the same fashion, pretend that attacking in waves went on in every county also? I once seen a mayo corner back kick a point, therefore tyrone attacked in waves in equal measure to everyone else and the style has nothing to do with them etc etc. It is funny that people have no problem attaching a nice attacking style to tyrone, yet will not hear it when the equally as prevalent negative style they used is attached in the same fashion?

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 23/05/2012 15:52:34    1178929

Link

I for one am grateful to Donegal. Sunday had been a long day for me, and so I was more than happy for Donegal to come along and put me to sleep for a couple of hours. My god, what a boring brand of football.

Steve (Fermanagh) - Posts: 293 - 23/05/2012 16:28:21    1178963

Link

Steve
County: Fermanagh

Good lad, London was it that put yous boys out last year?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9115 - 23/05/2012 16:33:34    1178969

Link

Lockjaw
County: Donegal

Steve
County: Fermanagh

Good lad, London was it that put yous boys out last year?

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 23/05/2012 16:40:13    1178979

Link

These Fermanagh boys..seriously I don't know. Bernadette Devlin used to have a saying about "Keeping your head down lower than a Larne Catholic". Maybe you'd do well to heed that in a football context.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 23/05/2012 18:04:03    1179079

Link

Tyrone we brilliant in 2005 and 2008 but 2003 was puke to watch.

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 23/05/2012 18:38:11    1179105

Link

TheMaster I didn't ignore the other side of their game I praised that as well " They attacked in waves and defended in packs"

spyboy (Antrim) - Posts: 343 - 24/05/2012 09:52:02    1179302

Link

Wrong about 2003 superglue...the first half against Kerry only one team playing football. Tyrone run at Kerry and Kerry pulled them down. Genuinely watch it again. The one concession I'll make is that in the second half the game plan changed and Tyrone sat back on the lead - fearful I think of the loss of PC and a similar collapse against Sligo the year before. If you looked at Tyrone's scoring rate 2002 and 2003 national league in particular with the forwards Tyrone had little wonder the racked up great scores.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 24/05/2012 11:15:23    1179384

Link

Pope_Benedict
County: Galway

1178824 Very ironic that Tyrone ever got labelled with the puke football tag, when in 2005 they won the All-Ireland taking the toughest route possible, and won two of the best football matches I've ever seen, in the '05 semi-final and final. That Tyrone team was so good that they were still able to win the 2008 All-Ireland, even when slightly 'over the hill'.

They were lucky in the semi-final

FairShoulder (Armagh) - Posts: 333 - 24/05/2012 12:14:41    1179453

Link

Sorry Spyboy, which part of attacking in waves or defending in packs describes trying to get opposition players sent off as a group tactic?

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 24/05/2012 12:55:37    1179505

Link

Sorry the Master, think you'll have to give me your definition of "puke football" then as this thread started off on the amount of hand passing and fouls. Which is what I commented on ie. the speed at which Tyrone moved the ball through the hand. If you want to discuss other aspects of the game such as teams trying to get opposition sent off then I suggest that you start a new thread rather than hijack an existing one.

spyboy (Antrim) - Posts: 343 - 24/05/2012 13:47:54    1179571

Link