National Forum

Puke football!!!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

@ Master - that was a strong argument and well written

Unfortunately it lacked the one thing I asked for - EVIDENCE

Can you tell me how Donegal cheated and weasled their way through to an ALL Ireland semi-final last year? Sure one player dived in All Ireland Semi to get a Dublin player sent off... I disagreed with that at the time (in fairness Marty Boyle helped Connolly get off his suspension after by admitting it to HQ) but the rest was committed disciplined defending...

Re 'We are the followers of the GAA who comment honestly.' So if I disagree with you, I'm not being honest - that's a very arrogant and holier than thou comment. And again you provide no EVIDENCE. You throw in a 'Just watch an Ulster Championship match and if I can't see it I'm crazy line...' Read the very first post of this thread again and look at the foul counts over the weekend.

I personally don't buy into this Anti-Ulster bias - I live in Dublin and no fans from many counties - so I know not all fans have this. But Master the way you are writing there is like there's only one province who are the cheats and everyone else is 'honest' and play 'traditional' football with halos on their heads.

Its so parochial and laughable.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 22/05/2012 15:02:46    1178122

Link

It immature thinking that a game can't evolve. Part of the joy of Gaelic football is the ever changing tactics and counter tactics.

What amazes me is that catch and kick is gone and no one in living memory can remember it. Even the Spillane used hand passing and that included scori g hand passed goals.

It's fascinating watching Donegals game Plan and intriguing as to how others will counter it

Good luck to Donegal for pushing the boundaries

ochonlir (Cavan) - Posts: 4343 - 22/05/2012 15:32:09    1178154

Link

There seems to be a presumption that Puke football exists. I thought it was the rant of a man over-embewed with bile after seeing his team given a good beating.
It's surreal to think people discuss and debate what amounts to nothing more than the sorest of losers.
Not an attractive trait, that part of the ring of Kerry is forever tarnished.

Delighted to see the usual suspects have emerged from the shadows right on queue.
"Groundhog day, Groundhog day"

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 22/05/2012 18:17:28    1178327

Link

Let's not kid ourselves here the term 'puke football' is nothing to do with football. It is a derogatory term used to denigrate, rubbish, deliberately insult Ulster football and provide excuses that Armagh and Tyrone "didn't win their All Ireland's for football reasons". Just before or maybe after the 2003 All Ireland final between Armagh and Tyrone Larry Tompkins wrote an article in the Sunday Press stating that there were those in the South who were bitter, biased and attacking Northern success because they wouldn't and couldn't accept SAM going over the border; he said it was pure sour grapes and criticised it in the strongest terms possible. I recall the article and still have it somewhere.
When any neutral person looks beyond this phrase and examines the Armagh and Tyrone sides who won SAM they could only conclude that they were two hard, physical teams who could play great football. Stevie McDonnell, Oisin McConville, Ronan Clarke, The McEntee twins, Kieran McGeeney, Diarmuid Marsden for Armagh and for Tyrone Peter Canavan, Stephen O'Neill, Sean Cavanagh, Philip Jordan, Brian McGuigan and Owen Mulligan were fellas who could play ball on a par with anyone in Ireland these past 3 decades. The main problem was that these 'upstart Nordies' came down, beat the Establishment team Kerry on several occasions, put de Dubs to the sword and didn't bow down and scrape to them like most other sides. That didn't go down well with certain media and GAA elements and so 'puke football' was introduced to make these elements feel better about the defeats. It was all bull of the highest order and then along came Donegal with cracking players like Karl Lacey and Micheal Murphy who beat another of the media darlings Kildare in the quarters putting some wonderful scores on the board AND who were then subjected to another anti-Ulster onslaught from the Southern media in case they had the audacity to beat Dublin in the semi. Yes Donegal were a bit over defensive and should have used their better players more against Dublin but most Ulster Gaels could see right through what was going on with the pundits and journos who have a massive chip about Ulster and the North because it was a repeat of Armagh and Tyrone. Every time I see and hear this phrase I know some revisionists and partitionists in the GAA and Southern media are worried about an Ulster side. Let's not pretend it something other than a put down alongside "Kaffa, Taig, Paddy Irishman and tinker".

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 22/05/2012 19:59:14    1178418

Link

Hilarious, you've got to be the most paranoid, bigoted losers on HS, ha ha, good comedian though! Kinda reminds me of Edwin & Patsy, lol.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 22/05/2012 20:05:55    1178427

Link

Al_Maguire
County: Donegal
You're talking rubbish. Look at Kerrys kick passes in those games. It just means they have all the possession

square_ball_69 (Westmeath) - Posts: 826 - 22/05/2012 20:17:59    1178434

Link

Et voila......you never disappoint me with your predictability Ulsterman I'll give you that :)

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 22/05/2012 21:10:55    1178473

Link

What is this "puke football" you all talk about? ;)

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 22/05/2012 21:22:41    1178484

Link

@ squareball -

I'm well aware that Kerry kick pass more too but I think you missed the point I was making... which was that Solo run was singling out Donegal for being the only team to handpass a lot.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 22/05/2012 21:47:29    1178515

Link

I wonder if Donegal lose playing this horrible style of football will there supporters still by happy? Cause I remember well last years semi final the minute we took the lead the Donegal fans turned on there team.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 10:00:25    1178572

Link

clondalkindub
County: Dublin

1178572 I wonder if Donegal lose playing this horrible style of football will there supporters still by happy? Cause I remember well last years semi final the minute we took the lead the Donegal fans turned on there team

Complete and utter brown. Those Donegal lads gave everything last summer and I can assure you that any imbecile from Donegal that had the stupidity to turn on the team as you have suggested would have been put firmly back in their box.

You do love to generalise terribly clondalkin. Quite possibly one of the worst posters I've come across on this site.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 23/05/2012 10:53:45    1178618

Link

If by turned on them you mean shouted encouragement then yes, we turned on them

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 23/05/2012 10:56:55    1178619

Link

I for one would never turn on my own team and will always support Donegal. Yes fans do get frustrated and I think in that game most Donegal fans will feel that had we pushed on just a wee bit after Dublin were reduced to 14 we could have won that day. In an AI semi-final you are always likely to be beside a fair weather fan that will as much criticise the team as support them. I watched a Dublin fan kick a seat until he broke it in the league final against Cork early last year until he was asked to calm down by other Dublin fans so you know we all have fans like that.
All in all I think most genuine Donegal fans would be happy with last year and if we can improve even further this year I for one will be happy!!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1671 - 23/05/2012 11:02:18    1178627

Link

I was there the Donegal crowd turned on there team and that is a fact. Puke football is all it is. Do you think I care what you think about me?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 11:02:52    1178628

Link

clondalkindub

1178628 I was there the Donegal crowd turned on there team and that is a fact. Puke football is all it is. Do you think I care what you think about me?

Well then if we're going to generalise then I might as well get stuck in. (Apologies to genuine Dub fans, Liam, jimbo, Jackeen etc)

No it isn't a fact, then again it was probably hard for you to distinguish between fact and fiction that day as you were probably on the Hill out of your mind! ;-) :P

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 23/05/2012 11:17:16    1178641

Link

And up goes the usual defence mechanism, 'it is just anti-ulster' even though the thread was started on the very subject by an ulster-based poster. What are we supposed to talk about on the thread then lads? To be honest, and I am sorry to burst your bubble, but i would say the same thing about westmeath's efforts if there was a thread started up defending it. I dont care what province they play in. If this type of play originated in leinster, and was played by most teams in that province I would say the exact same. I can never understand this defence, do lads really think people from the other provinces really care that much about ulster? That we are all waiting with baited breath for our chance to have a pop at you up there? I couldnt really care less about the place and I expect that others are the same with regards to connaght. Really what is the big deal? Connaght football has a deserved reputation of being too nice in recent times. See? It doesnt hurt lads. Is that any different from saying ulster football is too negative? (And by that I dont mean defensive) Yes there are other teams who are negative, just like there are other teams who are too nice, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a connaght championship trait, just like the negativity is an ulster championship trait.

Breffni you say I am being dishonest, yet you are the man who says that there is no more cynical fouling in the ulster championship than any other championship! To me that is just blind denial. 'No its not there, if you cant show me proof of it then I will keep denying it'. But in all honesty how am I supposed to prove it to you, besides sitting down beside you and watching the game? Do I ask you to prove the connaght teams are too nice? 'No not true, you show me conor mortimer helping an old lady across the street or it isnt true' - total cop out. I seen the games and I know it is true, so I will say so, because I am interest in honest unbiased debate. The defence is always the same 'I once seen a game in the [insert province] championship where there was constant pushing and shoving/diving etc etc' But here is the thing lads, nobody is making the argument that it has never happened, the argument is that it happens far less often and looks far less deliberate. (queue someone asking was donal vaughan's dive less deliberate, but again far less often not totally non-existant).

Al Maguire is a perfect example, 'show me proof, it didnt happen unless you show me proof. How about the [insert a game I know was clean] game? You show me the negative play in that game or it isnt true' But again, nobody said this specific game only, or any of these extra parameters that get shoe-horned in in their defence. Al you show me where mayo were too nice against kerry in the league semi, or cork in the AI quarrter final and I will show you the negative play in the dublin game

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 23/05/2012 11:26:20    1178651

Link

TheMaster
County: Mayo

Breffni you say I am being dishonest, yet you are the man who says that there is no more cynical fouling in the ulster championship than any other championship! To me that is just blind denial. 'No its not there, if you cant show me proof of it then I will keep denying it'. But in all honesty how am I supposed to prove it to you, besides sitting down beside you and watching the game? Do I ask you to prove the connaght teams are too nice? 'No not true, you show me conor mortimer helping an old lady across the street or it isnt true' - total cop out. I seen the games and I know it is true, so I will say so, because I am interest in honest unbiased debate. The defence is always the same 'I once seen a game in the [insert province] championship where there was constant pushing and shoving/diving etc etc' But here is the thing lads, nobody is making the argument that it has never happened, the argument is that it happens far less often and looks far less deliberate. (queue someone asking was donal vaughan's dive less deliberate, but again far less often not totally non-existant).

Ok fair enough, you are right. Me disagreeing with your geographical generalisations, and your assertion that every honest person agrees with you, makes me deluded.

I don't agree with you connacht generalisations either for what it's worth. You stick to the generalisations and I'll just call things as I see it. Keep being right and I'll keep being wrong.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 23/05/2012 12:01:40    1178692

Link

There is no way really of judging how negative a team, it's all down to your own perspective. From watching the Championship I personally think the Ulster Championship is no more negative or cynical than any other Championship but negative stereotypes exist that are hard to shake off and people are quick to repeat lazy punditry they've heard or read. Enjoy it Donegal, we had it all in 2003 and we didn't care one jot because we had Sam sitting at home and the rest of Ireland had nothing but the warm glow that came from playing 'proper' football. Do you think if you had lost in the Ulster semi's and then crashed out of their qualifiers last year people would be saying the same? Of course not

pplocal (Tyrone) - Posts: 5878 - 23/05/2012 12:10:22    1178702

Link

Pp I love the ulster champo teams like Tyrone Down Armagh are great to watch , it's that rubbish that Donegal play is what I hate.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2012 12:24:13    1178718

Link

clondalkindub

1178718 Pp I love the ulster champo teams like Tyrone Down Armagh are great to watch , it's that rubbish that Donegal play is what I hate

Did some wee Donegal girseach break your heart in Flannerys one night or something?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 23/05/2012 12:32:57    1178725

Link