National Forum

Seanie Johnston sitting on the Kildare bench

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Doublehop,
Obviously you were not at the game. SJ pulled Fergal flanagan down ,hence the free. SJ did not get abuse from Cavan players, he was booed by supporters, I didn't agree with that, but the majority of us are GAA grass roots people who felt that it was a twist of the knife by Mc Geeney. In fact, SJ received a high five welcome from one of the players!

BreffniBlue (Cavan) - Posts: 277 - 15/07/2012 21:59:49    1218454

Link

Science believed the neandarthal died out millions of years ago?, how wrong can they be?, Ireland is swarming with them under the banner of the GAA!.

kildarecat22 (Kildare) - Posts: 257 - 16/07/2012 08:22:53    1218467

Link

BreffniBlue I was at the game and believe it or not some of us in Kildare are grassroots GAA people too. I do sympathise with Cavan supporters on how annoying it must have been to see Johnston coming on. But as far as McGeeney is concerned he is only worried about what gives Kildare the best chance in the rest of the championship and getting SJ on and playing will make it less of a big deal from now on. Watching him stand up and take his score will help him settle and be accepted into the team also. All possible opinions on the ethics have well and truly being expressed now so I'm not getting back into that but remove all that stuff purely from footballing reasons getting him on and playing was the right thing for Kildare.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 16/07/2012 09:04:12    1218493

Link

I don't think we were as bad as some people are making out. Granted we were beaten well and it was disappointing but we kicked a lot of wides and could've made the scoreline more respectable at least, for whatever that's worth. Kildare are 4/5 years ahead of us in their development and have our marquee player on the bench so the gulf in standards is pretty obvious.

The Kildare fans came out in great numbers and are genuinely a credit to their team but I have to say I found the huge cheer they gave for Johnston's point pretty tasteless. It really got to me. Where is the pride in that score, especially when 15 points ahead at the time?

Good luck to Seanie and Kildare for the rest of the championship.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 16/07/2012 11:02:32    1218687

Link

It wasn't pride in that particular score, it was support for a lad who'd been booed, elbowed & swung around by the neck. Remember the big cheer for
Cavan fans for the previous point??

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 16/07/2012 11:09:35    1218700

Link

16/07/2012 11:02:32
Breffni39
County: Cavan

I don't think we were as bad as some people are making out. Granted we were beaten well and it was disappointing but we kicked a lot of wides and could've made the scoreline more respectable at least, for whatever that's worth. Kildare are 4/5 years ahead of us in their development and have our marquee player on the bench so the gulf in standards is pretty obvious.

The Kildare fans came out in great numbers and are genuinely a credit to their team but I have to say I found the huge cheer they gave for Johnston's point pretty tasteless. It really got to me. Where is the pride in that score, especially when 15 points ahead at the time?

Good luck to Seanie and Kildare for the rest of the championship.

Well that was McGeeney making a statement to the establishment on his own behalf.

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 16/07/2012 11:10:52    1218705

Link

Kildarecat22,
Neanderthals were with us until about 28,000 years ago but sure when did a Kildare man let the truth get in the way eh? Thought Johnston coming on at the stage he did yesterday was a low act. Game was well and truly over and it was just rubbing salt in the wounds. Not very classy. Quite a few will enjoy seeing the Kildare select beaten.

Bosco (Carlow) - Posts: 664 - 16/07/2012 11:26:45    1218739

Link

http://www.balls.ie/2012/07/16/rtes-no-county-for-one-man-seanie-johnston-tribute/

No county for one man.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 16/07/2012 11:44:45    1218770

Link

Count_Awesome
County: Kildare

1218700 It wasn't pride in that particular score, it was support for a lad who'd been booed, elbowed & swung around by the neck. Remember the big cheer for
Cavan fans for the previous point??

Well you've exaggerated that incident and i think it is fair to say we were much more entitled to voice our displeasure at the whole situation.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 16/07/2012 11:51:47    1218786

Link

What did people expect? That the Cavan fans would not react when Johnston ran on to the pitch? To me it turned the whole thing affair into something not befitting a GAA match. Even the Sunday Game (mind you, it was funny) jumped on the bandwagon.
The sad part for me is the fact that Cavan are now out. THose lads gave a fantastic committment all year, it will take time to build a team, lets hope the Cavan fans have the patience to wait. There is a new breed of player coming in the county, they have a better work ethic, the drinking, skipping off to concert days are over thank God, NADA are in, and there's plenty of talent available. I for one am keeping faith. And good luck to all the remaining teams.

BreffniBlue (Cavan) - Posts: 277 - 16/07/2012 12:12:20    1218834

Link

Well it's official now.

I thought the Sunday Game went completely OTT last night, making that daft movie trailer ripping off 'No Country For Old Men' or whatever that movie is called. That's just completely in line with the over-hyped, blown out of all proportion, nonsensical pile of media tripe this whole incident has become. And Des Cahill was so eager to hear the boys reaction and I was really pleased to see them shoot it down, Spillane speaking of the bandwagon coming to rest and Whelahan basically saying everyone's fed up of it now, very contradictory to what the SG wanted, I'd say

In my opinion, I thought Kildare supporters making banners about SJ was a bit unnecessary as opposed to what appears to be the majority of Cavan folk have taken it in their stride with good grace.

Time for everyone to move on

gigoer (Wexford) - Posts: 1998 - 16/07/2012 14:01:26    1219117

Link

We've nice route to HQ now, but from my reckoning its only possible to get Meath in the semi's which is a shame. Given that Meath lose of course to Dublin which they will haha... Meath will then have to go a beat more than likely Laois which they probably wont. For the quarters its back door teams in one pot and provincial winners in the other. So looks like Meath will get away will beating us this year sadly... but we've come on further than the years of beating a rival is a successful season. Progression over beating a rival any day.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 16/07/2012 14:29:59    1219174

Link

cilldara13
County: Kildare

We've nice route to HQ now, but from my reckoning its only possible to get Meath in the semi's which is a shame. Given that Meath lose of course to Dublin which they will haha... Meath will then have to go a beat more than likely Laois which they probably wont. For the quarters its back door teams in one pot and provincial winners in the other. So looks like Meath will get away will beating us this year sadly... but we've come on further than the years of beating a rival is a successful season. Progression over beating a rival any day.

Confused? What progression are you talking about? You guys are exactly in the same position you have been in the last four years. Was progression not winning a Leinster title?

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 16/07/2012 17:44:08    1219507

Link

gigoer
County: Wexford

Well said and hear hear.....

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 16/07/2012 17:52:34    1219527

Link

I used to think mayo were the most over rated & overhyped team in the country but I think kildare are in a league for there own now....at least Mayo win provincial titles!

pigonastick (Dublin) - Posts: 487 - 16/07/2012 17:55:16    1219531

Link

Maybe this is the real reason SJ left Cavan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HSb38vuus

AfricanGael (UK) - Posts: 1947 - 16/07/2012 17:57:12    1219537

Link

Agreed gigoer, you would think that the sunday game was owned cbs or some other ott american media group!
They are taking this hype thing to far! The homage to the pundits at the start of the show was bad enough, now
this twaddle! Thankfully Whelan and Spillane gave it little time! Have to say that the only interesting gaelic football
media coverage at the moment is newstalk! First class.

TheGateKeeper (Tyrone) - Posts: 2843 - 16/07/2012 18:22:09    1219570

Link

i agree 100% with gigoer. the Kildare fans with the banners was a bit much. it was like the where looking for a reaction. Kildare have definitely gone down in my estimations!

Mike_Clitoris69 (Cavan) - Posts: 230 - 16/07/2012 18:34:00    1219594

Link

For God's sake MikeC, we have been listening to the SJ crap for months from every county in the country...and youre put out by a few banners. What about the banners that were stuck up in Cavan for the travelling support to read...come on now, it takes two to tango....and by the way im not in favour of the SJ transfer as were many of the Kildare fans beside me either.

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 603 - 16/07/2012 19:12:53    1219632

Link

I saw at least 3 or 4 banners on teh N3 to welcome kildare fans on the way into cavan and kildare fans had the right to make banners just as much as the cavan fans did and I thought it was a game that was played in good spirit overall they even shook hands with one another and with seanie at the end so
Its now on to portlaoise saturday and thats that.

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 16/07/2012 19:40:09    1219666

Link