National Forum

Club finals thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was at the match and it was a great display by cross.they would beat a lot of county teams. As regards the fool on the pitch at half time he was in my sightline for the first half and spent the whole time on his mobile talking out Loud to someone. I don't know what took him to the match at all as he certainly wasn't interested in the football . I think the Gardai should have thrown him out of the grounds after his half time antics.

I was seated between cross and garrycastle fans and they were all very sporting but I did witness a cross fan having a very vicious go at a young garrycastle fan who obviously said something he didn't like. It was quite nasty and uncalled for and I'm sure the young garrycastle fan was upset by it. So it goes to shows there are headers in every club.
Well done to Cavan gas on having breffni looking do well and good organisation of the fixture

marita (None) - Posts: 467 - 02/04/2012 11:50:09    1141688

Link

Well done to Cross and I finally get to go collect my bet.
Roast - I had brigids backed from early in the Leinster to win out leinster but can never understand your critism of that late free that won it for Garrycastle. Hit a player after he kicks the ball means the free is from where the ball lands. Wish is was'ent the rule that day myself but it is. Brigids may well be All Ireland champions today but there ya go.

georgelee (Louth) - Posts: 523 - 02/04/2012 13:34:09    1141812

Link

frankbhoy77
County: Antrim

Guys i didnt get to see the match as i was playing myself. What were all the incidents you speak off, not heard anything about them

The main one i would point to was the incident after the parade. Garrycastle had to run past the cross men and one of them (not going to name names) used the opportunity to walk straight through Aaron Kernan from behind - Aaron was down for a good 2 minutes getting treatment. Of course the referee and his merry men saw nothing because they were having a cosy chat in the centre circle. It was as cowardly an act as you will ever see in my view, the man in question should be dealt with retrospectively but of course won't.

Tony McEntee has thanked Garrycastle and that is probably why - they probably thought it would cause the cross boys to get involved in the dirty stuff but all it did was make them even more determine to beat them - with football!

Come on the Rangers!!!

crossranger (Armagh) - Posts: 96 - 02/04/2012 19:18:17    1142273

Link

For Cross to win again and Culloville got to the Ulster Intermediate final and only losing by a point, Middletown got to the Inremediate Hurling final, just shows the club structure is strong.

on a sour note was dissapointed with the poor media attention in some of the so called 'irish' sunday newspapers with the club final reports. There was a massive crowd but some newspapers gave it less than 100 words......

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1671 - 02/04/2012 21:52:20    1142436

Link

First I would have to say congratulations to Crossmaglen on another title. I was at both games and in Croke park I had some great banter with the Crossmaglen Rangers fans but I have to say the second day out was a very different story. I was seated in the stand, in the very well turned out Breffini Park, compliments to all involved there. I was there supporting Garrycastle. There was a young family seated next to me from Westmeath, not Garrycastle but there to enjoy the day out. The poor family were forced to leave because of the very unsavoury behaviour of the Crossmaglen fans around us. One woman roared abusive language at all the Garrycastle players. She was so loud and using such ignorant terms that the father of the three girls turned around and asked her to stop as there was no need for it. At this stage the youngest of the three girls was in tears. The woman ignored this and anyone who turned around to give her disapproving looks got an earful of what she would do to them. At another stage in the game Crossmaglen were well ahead and the woman in the row behind was celebrating a point with her flag that had no stick. No problem with that as she is well entitled to do so. I felt the flag in my hair a few times even though I was leaning forward talking to my family in the row in front and then I got a tap from the girl next to me. To my disbelief the woman was still celebrating but by putting the flag down on purpose in front of the two young girls faces. I turned to her and told her there was no need for that that these were kids. The responce- she pushed me told me to mind my own business. She then proceeded to grab the young girls shoulder and look at her. The girl at this stage was in tears also. The woman laughed in her face. I pointed out that the girl was a minor and again I was told where to go. I left the game utterly gutted for Garrycastle but with a horrible feeling also. Those fans spoiled what should be one of the best days out in the GAA. Unfortuanately it brought back personal memories of playing Cropssmaglen in camogie. When we arrived on the pitch I could see men wearing black and amber tracksuits and I thought, wow what club the men come out to support the women, doesnt happen to often. Yes the Crossmaglen senior players were there but all throught the match they shouted abusive and derogatory comments at us! On reading through this thread I see that there was disgraceful behaviour on both sides. What a shame that some very ignorant people have to ruin great sporting occasions.

Garrycastle- a wonderful acheivement for such a small club, well done and thanks for all the days out and memories.

camancaman (Roscommon) - Posts: 2 - 14/04/2012 10:54:52    1151537

Link

And off we go again..
Very sorry you and those around you endured tis abuse it shouldn't happen in the "GAA Family". Curious as to why it took the few weeks to post this.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 14/04/2012 14:38:11    1151658

Link