National Forum

Club finals thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As a neutral, lets hope it is a different referee in the replay, his performance yesterday was horrendous.

Steve (Fermanagh) - Posts: 293 - 18/03/2012 13:35:15    1131536

Link

Cuchulainn,26000 would fill thomond park,not bad when you consider there were only 4 parishes being represented.

TheRoad (Galway) - Posts: 1339 - 18/03/2012 13:35:29    1131537

Link

First of all Congrats to Loughgiel - they played really well and hopefully this will give hurling a boost in Ulster.

As for the football - game of two halfs, based on our first half performance we were lucky but going by the second half we could have won handy so draw was probably fair enough. We were getting some really basic things wrong but i can't see our lads playin that poorly again so would be confident enough for the replay.

Yes, the referee was poor - the headbutt in particular was a bizarre decision particularly when you contrast such a premeditated action like that with what Stephen Kernan got a straight red card for! Next time the lads will just have to get on with the job and make sure that even a poor ref can't deny us.

Also, and i don't like saying this as i know it was a really big day for them, but some of the Garrycastle followers did their club no credit at all. I heard reports from both the Hogan and Cusack of drunkeness and abusive language particularly during first half and was on the receiving end of this personally. Perhaps this was partly caused by the parade earlier but this is supposed to a family-friendly occasion and i know a number of people who have said they will not be going to the replay because of this.

Come on Cross Rangers!!

crossranger (Armagh) - Posts: 96 - 18/03/2012 13:50:37    1131542

Link

dottysocks
County: Westmeath

1131535 look at the replay of the "headbutt"...cross player went down too easy, it was a yellow if anything

No it wasn't, there was contact made therefore it was a red card. This kind of behaviour should not be excused no matter who you support and the fact that you condone it speaks for itself.

Tom1916 (Armagh) - Posts: 2001 - 18/03/2012 13:53:24    1131544

Link

Havent seen it but if there was significant contact it should be a red and if the Cross player exaggerated the effect it should be a yellow.Feigning injury is inexcusable and detestable and should never be defended no matter who you support.

TheRoad (Galway) - Posts: 1339 - 18/03/2012 14:03:07    1131546

Link

Also, and i don't like saying this as i know it was a really big day for them, but some of the Garrycastle followers did their club no credit at all. I heard reports from both the Hogan and Cusack of drunkeness and abusive language particularly during first half and was on the receiving end of this personally. Perhaps this was partly caused by the parade earlier but this is supposed to a family-friendly occasion and i know a number of people who have said they will not be going to the replay because of this.

But I suppose the IRA chanting from cross fans was alright ?

square_ball_69 (Westmeath) - Posts: 826 - 18/03/2012 14:41:39    1131559

Link

dottysocks

look at the replay of the "headbutt"...cross player went down too easy, it was a yellow if anything
---------------------------------------------------------

What exactly was the yellow for then, attempted headbutt??

killer_88_ (Mayo) - Posts: 2040 - 18/03/2012 15:02:29    1131567

Link

Jaysus lads I give up... it was never a headbutt.

Not in a million years... fair play to the ref for not falling for a blatant dive....

Bunch of mary's the lot of ye!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 18/03/2012 15:10:37    1131570

Link

As I said I havent seen it but if it was a dive,I bet the people who are saying the Garrycastle fella deserved a red will be the same ones who slagged off Drogba for his diving/theatrics against Napoli.
Shame on the Gaa for allowing this horrible behaviour to creep into our games.

TheRoad (Galway) - Posts: 1339 - 18/03/2012 15:29:24    1131577

Link

jimbodub
County: Dublin

1131570 Jaysus lads I give up... it was never a headbutt.

Not in a million years... fair play to the ref for not falling for a blatant dive....

Bunch of mary's the lot of ye!

So deliberate contact with the head is not a red card?? The guy was so stupid and lucky not to have let down his entire team.

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 18/03/2012 15:40:05    1131581

Link

But I suppose the IRA chanting from cross fans was alright ?

I never heard anything like that though i wouldn't condone it.

I was however sitting with my mother and witnessed her being told to F*** off and more by some of Garrycastles' fine young gentlemen when she asked them to stay in their seats so that she could see the game. Do you want to try and defend that??! Disgraceful behaviour

crossranger (Armagh) - Posts: 96 - 18/03/2012 15:48:57    1131587

Link

Great game yesterday, for what its worth it appeared the crossmaglen defender put his head into his face and he pushed it away with his head, it was not strike. It was straight on front of the ref's face and he must have had the same interpretation as i do. The incident where the garrycastle player was pushed over the hoarding was way more dangerous and warranted a straight red

thefence (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 18/03/2012 15:58:38    1131592

Link

thefence

Great game yesterday, for what its worth it appeared the crossmaglen defender put his head into his face and he pushed it away with his head, it was not strike. It was straight on front of the ref's face and he must have had the same interpretation as i do. The incident where the garrycastle player was pushed over the hoarding was way more dangerous and warranted a straight red

Best post of the year that is, made me laugh.

Armaghgeddon (Armagh) - Posts: 539 - 18/03/2012 16:14:16    1131611

Link

thefence

1131592 Great game yesterday, for what its worth it appeared the crossmaglen defender put his head into his face and he pushed it away with his head, it was not strike. It was straight on front of the ref's face and he must have had the same interpretation as i do. The incident where the garrycastle player was pushed over the hoarding was way more dangerous and warranted a straight red

ha ha brilliant, move over tommy tiernan.

Tom1916 (Armagh) - Posts: 2001 - 18/03/2012 17:59:48    1131714

Link

The Garycastle fans beside me in the Hogan stand all believed that their number 10 was lucky to stay on the field......

as regards the garycastle fans in the canal end they were a disgrace, booed during the minutes silence and shouted during the national anthem - obviously one or two had a drink or two.....

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1673 - 18/03/2012 18:04:25    1131723

Link

crossranger
County: Armagh

I'd never condone that sort of thing but I'm just saying two sides were at it. In response to another poster I'm fairly sure the crowd in the canal end were neutral or if anything they were from coolderry as the only colours I saw between them was an Offaly jersey.

square_ball_69 (Westmeath) - Posts: 826 - 18/03/2012 18:15:23    1131740

Link

yeah the garrycastle fans in the hogan booed and shouted cmon the castle during the minutes silence aswell and there's nothing as low as it, my parents said that drink on its own couldn't have made them behave they way they did beside them in lower hogan. i was a steward in Croke Park until last year abd I can't believe that they stewards turned a blind eye to this. It's some difference between them and the Dr Crokes fans who were sporting to the last and created a great atmosphere throughout, ditto the St Brigids fans last year.

Tom1916 (Armagh) - Posts: 2001 - 18/03/2012 18:17:58    1131741

Link

Shame to hear of this behaviour.Maybe these minutes silence should be banned as I have never heard them being properly observed,and the end result is the person whose is being commemorated ends up being insulted.A minutes applause to acknowledge someones life would,in most cases,be more appropriate as it drowns out these fools.

TheRoad (Galway) - Posts: 1339 - 18/03/2012 18:26:10    1131756

Link

In my opinion, if the headbutt/attempted headbutt/pushing the other fellas head away from him, had have happened later in the match the player woulda been sent off. Thought the cross player pushing the fella over the hoardings was a little bit naughty also.

As regards the fans, this drunken foul mouthed abuse occurrs all the time. Some of our own fans behaved like this in clones a few years ago in the ulster final against tyrone, it was sickening and showed antrim fans in a poor light. the fellas were tennagers with a pile of drink in them who could barely stand, and i would imagine it was the first match they had watched that year. It is something that would be hard to tackle though.

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 18/03/2012 20:17:22    1131866

Link

square_ball_69

1131740 crossranger
County: Armagh

I'd never condone that sort of thing but I'm just saying two sides were at it. In response to another poster I'm fairly sure the crowd in the canal end were neutral or if anything they were from coolderry as the only colours I saw between them was an Offaly jersey.

The man said they were from garrycastle, not coolderry, not ballinderry or edenderry but garrycastle.

The Road you have a point about the minutes silence and it should be considered.

Tom1916 (Armagh) - Posts: 2001 - 18/03/2012 21:40:18    1131967

Link