National Forum

Sam is between Dublin, Cork and Kerry..

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

"meath.mad
County: Meath

1155249 I think 5 of the q.f. will be Dublin, Kerry Mayo, Tyrone & Cork and the other 3 will could be any of another 10 counties which are level below these five. Mayo is the dark horse among the 5."

I disagree on those 5 teams are a clear step up from the next 10, mainly as i would add Donegal to that list. And i would maybe consider Down, Kildare, Galway and Armagh slightly a step up from the next 4 of your lower 10.

I agree that logic would put Dublin, Mayo, Cork or Kerry in the Quarter Final as potential provincial champions ( Bookies favourites ).
However Tyrone have a mine field to face in Ulster, in Armagh, then semi final of possibly Donegal or Derry, and then a final possibly with Down. Not saying Tyrone can't overcome any of these sides, but to beat them all one after the other is a tough ask. And Donegal, Armagh and Down are all capable of beating Tyrone.
Ulster champions will be either Donegal or Tyrone, or whoever reaches the final on that tough side of the draw.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 18/04/2012 21:40:34    1155475

Link

Tyrone's chances could be diminished significantly now in the absence of Kyle Coney. He was aboslutely flying there towards the end of the league. Power, Pace, Direct running, long range shooting accuracy all in display in our last 3 league games.

Big Blow.

redhandmacca (Tyrone) - Posts: 240 - 19/04/2012 11:35:28    1155703

Link

Coney's a massive loss, thats really taken the wind out of our sails now and suddenly the season isn't looking as promising as once was. I'm gutted for the lad.

brendtheredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 10897 - 19/04/2012 11:43:09    1155716

Link

It's not only the loss of Coney himself, which is huge (awarded man of the match in 3 of our last 4 games), but also the lack of suitable replacements. Ronan O'Neill has been lost to a cruciate, while Tommy McGuigan has been out for months, and will probably miss the start of the championship too.

That leaves us relying on Mugsy and the injury-plagued Stevie O'Neill to carry our 2 man full-forward line throughout the summer. I'm beginning to know how Cork fans felt last year, losing O'Neill and Sheehan, and later Goulding! Good Full-forwards really are the most difficult players on any side to replace.

Perhaps this will see a return to FF for Sean Cavanagh, who won his Footballer of the Year award in that role. Sean hasn't really caught fire yet, and didn't seem perfectly suited to the hard-running role that he was doing out the field, so maybe he will be moved on up the pitch.

Thomas Clarke (Tyrone) - Posts: 1002 - 19/04/2012 11:47:31    1155724

Link

meath.mad
County: Meath

I think 5 of the q.f. will be Dublin, Kerry Mayo, Tyrone & Cork and the other 3 will could be any of another 10 counties which are level below these five. Mayo is the dark horse among the 5, they have been such a disappointment in the past when expectations were high but I think they have a great man leading them now and look like the real article. As a Meath man I wouldn't begrudge them after all we put them through.

i wonder has mayo peaked too soon ????

dubbydave. (Dublin) - Posts: 3927 - 19/04/2012 11:49:37    1155726

Link

Last year Donegal got to all Ireland semis and the previous year Down got to all ireland final, who does everyone think can be a surprise package to make last 4 or eve last 2!!! Maybe Galway, or even Fermanagh under Peter Canavan to go on a run (not saying they will make the all ireland final)!

ros747 (Roscommon) - Posts: 160 - 19/04/2012 12:51:42    1155793

Link

Will Mayo reach the Quarter Finals? They are average side at best. Tyrone are suffering injuries but still hard to beat. What club is Ronan O Neill?

Peace_On (Kerry) - Posts: 53 - 20/04/2012 16:42:12    1156738

Link

When is the last time Mayo had a good championship after reaching NFL final? Dublin won't have the same desire as last year. Cork with a full panel to choose from will be difficult to stop while i have my doubts about Kerry with their less than great back line. Mickey Harte will have Tyrone more focused this year.

Galway could be the real darkhorse this year a team full of All Ireland winners crying out for the right manager in Alan Mulholland they have their man & if Meehan returns to fitness they will be even better.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 3743 - 20/04/2012 17:54:55    1156775

Link

How do Galway have a chance?? After the last few years most of us would be content with a qualifying round victory or two against a team from outside connaught.

Outinfront (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 20/04/2012 19:26:37    1156838

Link

Have Mayo peaked ? Sure we don't even have our full panel back, between injuries and other commitments namely work the lads have hardly been together as a group at training. We have togged out each week with different players and pairings in all areas, the full back line has had less tinkering and they are going grand. No one in the county knows are strongest 15.

We will know more as time goes on, we're a young side who got lucky against Kerry and will be up against a good Cork team. I'd say most Mayo men would see us in footballing terms just in and around Kildare, Donegal and Down. We are missing a marque player or two like a Brogan, Gooch or O'connor and a stand out leader like Darragh o'sea, Mc keeney or a Willie Joe.

take.yer.pints (UK) - Posts: 76 - 20/04/2012 19:57:51    1156851

Link

The_analyser
County: Roscommon

Galway could be the real darkhorse this year a team full of All Ireland winners crying out for the right manager in Alan Mulholland they have their man & if Meehan returns to fitness they will be even better.

-----

Not sure if you are pulling the p*ss or actually deluded?

ahsure. (Galway) - Posts: 1568 - 20/04/2012 20:01:17    1156854

Link

Ahsure pulling the p*ss about what? or actually deluded?

Team full of All Ireland winners is the correct statement as is crying out for the right manager. I said darkhorse that doesn't mean i think they will the All Ireland. Galway IMO will beat us & Sligo then they have Mayo at home in the Connacht final.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 3743 - 20/04/2012 21:56:41    1156904

Link

Peace_On
County: Kerry

Will Mayo reach the Quarter Finals? They are average side at best. Tyrone are suffering injuries but still hard to beat. What club is Ronan O Neill?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronan O'Neill plays for Omagh, and was on the 2010 AI Minor winning side. I was very disappointed to hear of his cruciate injury as I think that he is an outstanding talent. Actually, I'd rate him as the most gifted inside forward that Tyrone have produced in years, and a more complete player at 20 than Eoin Mulligan or Stevie O'Neill were. If he can come back as fast as he was, and hopefully stronger, he should have a great career ahead of him.

Thomas Clarke (Tyrone) - Posts: 1002 - 21/04/2012 11:33:47    1156949

Link

Unfortunately i have to agree with this statement. The 3 are well out in front of the rest. I think any of kildare, mayo, tyrone and down could beat any of them on their day but dont have enough to win it

galballygael23 (Tyrone) - Posts: 235 - 21/04/2012 12:31:37    1156996

Link

Thomas Clarke a lot of food players doing cruciate. Forwards ,ostly. Hopefully will come back. David Moran is a case in Kerry 2 cruciates.

Peace_On (Kerry) - Posts: 53 - 21/04/2012 16:12:55    1157087

Link

Seriously lads was the title of this thread that outrageous??? Do people really think it won't be one of these 3 teams to win Sam this year??? Ok Mayo are contenders but were shown up badly in the second half today. Kildare or Tyrone for Sam no chance.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 29/04/2012 18:07:01    1162461

Link

You can't judge a team on the league, Down were in Tyrones position in the league in 2010- unbeaten then lost the final of division 2 and ended up in the All Ireland Final that year. Realistically, Sams for anyone but you'd expect Kildare, Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Down, Donegal and Tyrone in the q/finals depending on how the draw pans out

MissDownFanatic (Down) - Posts: 411 - 29/04/2012 18:15:25    1162468

Link

The big 3 are out on their own at the minute leaving kildare[could win leinster]tyrone mayo donegal down still playn catch up there always a surprise team who comes through the back door with momentum,derry had both bradleys injured last season so hopefully we can get a strong line up for championship time.Tyrone looked flat today o neill missed a free in 2nd half and good goal chance to kildare finished the stronger team.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 29/04/2012 18:42:00    1162508

Link

93vintageyear
County: Derry

1162508 The big 3 are out on their own at the minute leaving kildare[could win leinster]tyrone mayo donegal down still playn catch up there always a surprise team who comes through the back door with momentum,derry had both bradleys injured last season so hopefully we can get a strong line up for championship time.Tyrone looked flat today o neill missed a free in 2nd half and good goal chance to kildare finished the stronger team.

Derry were unlucky against Donegal in the Ulster final last season, and then put up a superb challenge against Kildare 6 days later. Had they got more of a break after the Ulster final, id say they would have beat Kildare and would have been formidable with a run behind them. I sometimes think they play better without the Bradleys, but no doubt the brothers are brilliant players. I think Donegal might still be too strong for them this year, as i think Donegal have come on alot from last year and are confident.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 30/04/2012 21:58:35    1163669

Link

I would count Dublin out at this stage. I believe they will be the top team in a few years time, they have a scary ammount of talent coming through at underage. Young Ciaran Kilkenny, if he isnt snapped up by Carlton or St Kilda, will be an unbelievable player. (Not that 95% of Dublin fans would know what talent is coming through as they didnt even bother turning up an hour before the senior final to watch their minors last year).

I think the current team has a few key weaknesses:
1: Michael Darragh McCauley and Denis Bastick are not the answer at midfield, Dublin lost midfield in every game last year, and had to rely on counter attacks.
2: Which Dermot Connolly will turn up? The one who scores hattricks against beaten teams or the one who gets marked out of the game and inevitably does something daft to get sent off?
3: Bernard Brogan cant keep carrying the yolk, he has been hampered by injuries this year and Alan Brogan is getting on now.
4: After finally getting the All Ireland, after so many years of graft, can the squad that relies on hard work and honesty of effort the most of anybody raise themselves for another crack? There has been far better teams that havent been able to win back to back titles.

I was glad to see Dublin win last year because it gave hope to other somewhat lesser talented squads (like ourselves), that an All Ireland was possible. But I cant see the Dubs getting the same level of luck as last year. Some of the refereeing decisions they got were incredible (the "foul" on Bernard Brogan and Mcmenamans dive that Cluxton converted in the final.) I just cant see lightening striking twice.

I think its between Cork and Kerry, with Galway and Tyrone dark horses.

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1171 - 02/05/2012 09:27:06    1164387

Link