National Forum

Trouble at the All-Ireland club JFC semi

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

caz
County: Tyrone

I understand what you are saying MesAmis - I think if this over-reaction - imo - to a brawl had been more measured and less hysterical, posters, myself included, would in the main have no issue acknowledging the wrongs, on both sides, of what took place.

However the hysteria created, and then fanned by many on here, has made what occurred almost a secondary issue.

That is what is ludicrous and infuriating.

Bang on Caz. It was fanned by both sides into the ridiculous debate that it became.

Its an overall problem with this site, that no debate can occur without the usual 'anti this, pro that' BS - people from all over the place at it too!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 02/02/2012 21:51:41    1104616

Link

Was it an official who started the brawl? I thought it was the number 10 from Dromid? Serious question by the way as I only saw the video link put on this board.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 02/02/2012 21:55:20    1104623

Link

Its a bit like two families in a housing estate with a bit of previous history. and one mother is hearing about her son doing something wrong from the other mother and wants to believe her sons side of the story .Even if she knows deep down what he did was wrong she is never gonna admit that to her neighbour because she reckons the neighbour thinks her kids are angels.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 02/02/2012 21:58:24    1104627

Link

do the crime and do the time! you won't see better hurdlers at the 2012 olympics! if the Derrytresk subs had stayed out of this then the sanctions on both clubs would have been a lot similar. Some people on here can't see the wood for the trees, some must have big shoulders for the chips they carry and some should really not pick up the keyboard as they ahve nothing sensible to add.

just my .02c

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 03/02/2012 08:54:27    1104650

Link

I think that admin should lock down this thread - nearly 40 pages of the exact same arguments... Getting tedious at this stage..

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 03/02/2012 08:57:25    1104652

Link

well said Brolly, you must be taking a break from the training ;-)

Tom1916 (Armagh) - Posts: 2001 - 03/02/2012 09:09:01    1104659

Link

Derrytresk has been hit with a €5,000 fine and had eight players banned after the brawl in Portlaoise, while Dromid Pearses were fined €2,000 and had three players suspended.

moomoo (Kerry) - Posts: 4023 - 03/02/2012 10:09:21    1104693

Link

LOUD NOISES!

srb (Antrim) - Posts: 344 - 03/02/2012 11:17:11    1104740

Link

As I've said, we have to move on from this. I'm surprised as I've said that Dromid were fined. That's wrong, I hope for them they get it overturned.

I'd agree with calls to get this topic locked. It's gone on long enough in fairness.

I won't name clubs but a Kerry club a few years back had to put up playing a dirty Cork club more interested in knocking out the man than the ball. In the next round that the Kerry club go through to, Cork people were delighted the Cork club got beaten because they have that reputation within their county. Derrytresk seem to be of the same ilk. It's tough on Dromid or any team playing fair but the rough has to be taken with the smooth and they have to rise above it. Derrytresk's name has been tarnished but it seems a reputation they are comfortable with.
Kerry clubs have had a good record at junior level. Many of the recent All-Ireland champions have been from our county. Dromid might have taken it a bit too much for granted that they'd get through. Kerry clubs have had to get their way past teams like that in the past. It not new. It's bad for the game for it to happen. The GAA need to stamp it out. Apart from overturning the fine as I say, Dromid need to move on.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 03/02/2012 12:06:06    1104766

Link

Tom1916
County: Armagh

1104659 well said Brolly, you must be taking a break from the training ;-)

Aye Tom!ha Training 2nite and it's baltic :-(

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 03/02/2012 13:34:15    1104837

Link

Never read such *ung as I just did from Legendszxix; are you for real?
The Dromind and Crokes clubs have not come out well from this, nor have the Derrytresk team (the subs anyway) but at least they showed some dignity and kept quiet

bigtomsbreeks (Down) - Posts: 130 - 03/02/2012 13:46:39    1104853

Link

They had a very good reason to keep quiet. It's a good approach though, say nothing, it will all blow over, which it will anyways regardless.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 03/02/2012 13:55:10    1104865

Link

legendzxix

You seem to know quite a bit about Derrytrek..their intent and their reputation. Before the Dromid game had you any knowledge of the club?
The much quoted Billy Keane article in the Irsih independent refers to "Some people from Derrytresk haven't heard of Derrytresk" but you are better acquainted.

Where you at the game?..as again you appear to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game..I do hope you haven't been relying on the edited 1 min 30 sec video.
I certainly wouldn't commend Dromid for their representations thourhg the media and damn Derrytresk for their aversion to it.
Neither team comes out of this well.

...no wonder the whole country is in a state of chassis

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 03/02/2012 14:17:33    1104885

Link

I'll say initially again, it's time to move on. I'm not looking to continue a discussion in a topic I think should be closed. Dromid can't have qualms about some players being handed suspensions when some players got involved. Derrytresk though to get back to a previous posters comment have no dignity at all. I've no reason to attack the club. I saw I think it was Mulligans club take on a Kerry club in Croke Park a few years ago in the intermediate. They won that game fairly, didn't have any problems with their support. Cookstown I think was the name of the club, someone might correct me on that. Maybe Cookstown could show Derrytresk a thing or do.
Balanced view, Cookstown are a credit to themselves and their county. Derrytresk were a disgrace, deserve the reputation they have rightly earned based on fact but yes, it is time to move on from this sorry saga.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 03/02/2012 14:49:37    1104936

Link

legendzxix
County: Kerry

1104936 I'll say initially again, it's time to move on. I'm not looking to continue a discussion in a topic I think should be closed. Dromid can't have qualms about some players being handed suspensions when some players got involved. Derrytresk though to get back to a previous posters comment have no dignity at all. I've no reason to attack the club. I saw I think it was Mulligans club take on a Kerry club in Croke Park a few years ago in the intermediate. They won that game fairly, didn't have any problems with their support. Cookstown I think was the name of the club, someone might correct me on that. Maybe Cookstown could show Derrytresk a thing or do.
Balanced view, Cookstown are a credit to themselves and their county. Derrytresk were a disgrace, deserve the reputation they have rightly earned based on fact but yes, it is time to move on from this sorry saga.

If anyone has to move on, it's you mate.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 03/02/2012 14:53:04    1104945

Link

I'm so moved on I'm not involved. Just giving a fair balanced view unlike some ;)

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 03/02/2012 15:02:31    1104951

Link

legendzxix you seem to quite an authority on how clubs are percieved in Tyrone where did you gain such knowledge? The thing is you couldnt be wider of the mark on Cookstown or Derrytresk.

Derrytresk have a reputation as being 1 of the smallest clubs in the county a perenial junior team not quite whipping boys but almost, I though it was a great achievement for them to get to the Tyrone final where I was thinking they would be in for a bit of a hiding but they dug it out and won, and they have now went on ahead won the Ulster and are now in an All-ireland final with the whole county behind and rightly proud of them.

omaghjoe (Tyrone) - Posts: 1191 - 03/02/2012 16:49:20    1105042

Link

03/02/2012 16:49:20
omaghjoe

legendzxix you seem to quite an authority on how clubs are percieved in Tyrone where did you gain such knowledge? The thing is you couldnt be wider of the mark on Cookstown or Derrytresk.

Derrytresk have a reputation as being 1 of the smallest clubs in the county a perenial junior team not quite whipping boys but almost, I though it was a great achievement for them to get to the Tyrone final where I was thinking they would be in for a bit of a hiding but they dug it out and won, and they have now went on ahead won the Ulster and are now in an All-ireland final with the whole county behind and rightly proud of them.

You didn't say anything about Cookstown and how I could be wrong or wide of the mark about them? Cookstown is a good example of a lot. They are a Tyrone club who won a game fair and square against a Kerry club, had great support and that's all there was to that All-Ireland final in Februay 2010. The junior semi-final should have been the same win or lose on either side but unfortunately it wasn't. Nothing to do with where either team were from, basically down to the actions and the facts of what happened.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 03/02/2012 18:14:28    1105104

Link

legendzxix
County: Kerry

1105104 03/02/2012 16:49:20
omaghjoe

You didn't say anything about Cookstown and how I could be wrong or wide of the mark about them? Cookstown is a good example of a lot. They are a Tyrone club who won a game fair and square against a Kerry club, had great support and that's all there was to that All-Ireland final in Februay 2010. The junior semi-final should have been the same win or lose on either side but unfortunately it wasn't. Nothing to do with where either team were from, basically down to the actions and the facts of what happened.

I remember a year or two ago when one of our underage teams were locked into their dressing room as a baying mob of Cookstown "supporters" awaited their emergence. I also remember a couple of our mentors getting a slap or two of the same lot whilst trying to get visibly upset children back to their bus. Not all Cookstown supporters are like this and it was a small but intimidating crowd so I try not to tar the whole club in the way that you do with Derrytresk. I enjoy how you seem to be able to make your mind up about 2 whole clubs based on roughly an hours exposure to them. Without looking up google do you actually know where Derrytresk is?

omaghredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 3656 - 04/02/2012 09:37:50    1105262

Link

Dromid can't pay fine, I always thought a financial penalty (on both clubs) in these hard times is stupid, punishes everyone. Clubs just don't have that kind of spare cash, GAA must confine punishment to those responsible, I mean where those the fine go?

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 04/02/2012 17:11:55    1105453

Link